Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-12-2008, 12:12 AM #1
darthpwner

fix an A1's optical switch

i found a crack in my A1's optical switch (the part that acts as a trigger switch on the a1) and i was wondering how to fix that. The trigger pull doesnt register because of the crack. I might be able to superglue it, but I think the only solution is to buy a new board. What do u guys think?

Last edited by darthpwner : 05-12-2008 at 12:16 AM.
darthpwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2008, 12:24 AM #2
rjones1213

rjones1213 is an NCPA player
rjones1213 plays in the APPA beginner division
rjones1213 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
u might be able to find someone who can solder a new switch on, not sure if u can find another optical switch but u could always use a micro switch instead

SVSU Paintball #14
rjones1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:28 AM #3
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

has been a member for 10 years
Finding components to repair the switch would probably be impossible. Using a microswitch in place of the optical is possible, but not a good idea. The programming is absolutely not designed for it. You'd probably be best off seeing if an MT can make the repair for you. If not you're probably stuck replacing the board.
dr.strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:29 AM #4
darthpwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Finding components to repair the switch would probably be impossible. Using a microswitch in place of the optical is possible, but not a good idea. The programming is absolutely not designed for it. You'd probably be best off seeing if an MT can make the repair for you. If not you're probably stuck replacing the board.
whats an MT? what about glueing it? its just a tiny crack
Old 05-12-2008, 12:34 AM #5
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Master Tech. The primary two in the US are Bob at www.fixmyangel.com and Ken at www.performanceangel.com . If the switch is still operational and the crack is just in the housing, then gluing would probably work as a quick fix. If the switch is no longer working though, and/or the crack is in the actual LED, you'd have to replace the component or swap boards.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:45 AM #6
darthpwner

Quote:
Master Tech. The primary two in the US are Bob at www.fixmyangel.com and Ken at www.performanceangel.com . If the switch is still operational and the crack is just in the housing, then gluing would probably work as a quick fix. If the switch is no longer working though, and/or the crack is in the actual LED, you'd have to replace the component or swap boards.
no it's still works because we pressed the parts together (to bring the 2 ends of the crack together) and it worked fine. its just temporary tho, and i didnt want to play with it since it could come lose and do more damage.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:53 AM #7
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

So the crack is just in the plastic housing then. You could probably get by using an epoxy to fix the crack and hold the housing together.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:01 AM #8
darthpwner

Quote:
So the crack is just in the plastic housing then. You could probably get by using an epoxy to fix the crack and hold the housing together.
epoxy is a type of superglue rite? im gonna go to a store nearby that has an angel tech and see if he can glue it.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:14 AM #9
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Epoxy is a two part adhesive that consists of a resin and hardener. It's far stronger than superglue.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:19 AM #10
darthpwner

Quote:
Epoxy is a two part adhesive that consists of a resin and hardener. It's far stronger than superglue.
i see. and do u think that local stores would have that?
Old 05-12-2008, 01:20 AM #11
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Any hardware store will have it, along with most hobby shops. You can even find it sometimes at Wal Mart.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:37 AM #12
darthpwner

Quote:
Any hardware store will have it, along with most hobby shops. You can even find it sometimes at Wal Mart.
k, i think i even have some at home. i was talking about a local paintball store tho? u think they have some or should i bring some there? i dont trust myself so im gonna drop the gun off at the tech in the local store.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:38 AM #13
Laius
OBEY THE MAY

Why would a paintball store stock epoxy?
Laius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:40 AM #14
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Yeah, they aren't likely to have it at a paintball shop, unless the tech has some on hand.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:50 AM #15
darthpwner

Quote:
Yeah, they aren't likely to have it at a paintball shop, unless the tech has some on hand.
k, thx for everything. im gonna try it and see what happens.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:40 AM #16
jeryzkid22
lone ranger

Annual Supporting Member
My opto switch is missing some plastic and it still works fine.
jeryzkid22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:24 PM #17
mpodesta
Dude has 1 Hand

mpodesta has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SAme here, I was unscrewing the board in the wifes A1 and had a snezzing fit and jabbed the opto switch with the screwdriver and cracked it.

It was hit or miss with it working till I broke off a small portion of the housing where it was cracked, after that it was working fine (tho it wasent in an area where outside light could get to it.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:34 AM #18
unknown_viral

My Angel A1 led stock board went blank

Hi guys,

I wonder, is it possible to fix this kind of problem? At first there is light on my stock board. After a fun game my led went blank. But the light is still on. Still can shoot. What can i do on this problem? give me headache if i want to change mode on my A1 gun.
unknown_viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:44 AM #19
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Do you mean your OLED display went blank? If so, the connector to the display might have come loose or broken. Bob Moon at www.fixmyangel.com would be the man to see about possible repair, but that may not be repairable.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:16 PM #20
unknown_viral

If so, the connector to the display might have come loose or broken

I checked the connector to the display already, the screen is still blank. Does this mean I need to change my board? Seriously, the stock board is unique and I like it the most. Not using any microswitch at all like any other board. And it's hard to find stock board now.
Any suggestion? i tried to check in www.fixmyangel.com and they don't have the stock board in the market already. I'm from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Even the tech support here telling me to change the board to virtue oled or mojo. Not much of a choice for me.
unknown_viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:31 PM #21
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Ahh, I didn't realize you were outside the US. If you don't have any local Angel tech that can take a look at it, I'm afraid you're probably going to need to go for a new board.