Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 AM #1
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Field Concept

I like to think of new ideas to bring to paintball every now and then. I had recently thought of a concept for a new field and I was wondering what some of you thought of it.

Essentially it is a paintball field where pistols are the only markers available. It's structured much like a laser tag facility. It wouldn't take a very large building like most indoor fields and it would be a lot more close quarters. The marker velocity would be turned down a bit more than usual so that nobody is getting hurt.

So the main advantage of this setup is that you strip away paint sales. You don't sell paint at all, you sell by the game. So let's say each player is supplied a pistol + 50 paintballs for a 15 minute match. You could sell this for $10-$15 per game, much like laser tag. Offer discounts when you pay for more games ahead of time or have large parties. Each game would cost the field $.50-$1.00 for paint + whatever it costs to fill their tanks. You could even offer equipment upgrades like tactical vests, stocks, etc at an extra cost.

I definitely think people could still have a TON of fun with this setup. It simplifies the purchasing process for the customer when there is 1 simple rate to play the game and they never have to worry about knowing how much paint they have to buy.

The only real concern I had is comparing it directly to laser tag. It's more messy, painful, and takes a little more effort with distributing paint and air. But I feel that it would attract a different market, which could make it worth it. Personally, I feel like laser tag is for little kids, and a lot of the facilities that I have been to in the past 10 years or so have been geared towards that. It's kind of corny or childish and not as enjoyable for teens or adults.

So yeah, that is kind of the basic run down of the idea. I just wanted to see what people thought about it. All opinions are welcome.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2012, 12:22 PM #2
GatSplat

The biggest problem is the close quarters. Insurance frowns on getting shot within 20 feet unless it's a tournament. And if you're talking about a room to room type scenario, it might be very difficult to have enough refs at enough areas to see what was going on.

Might have a shot - (forgive the pun) just have to think through the logistics of how the people move, and how far away are they when they get shot.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! Then just $50 / month.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:16 PM #3
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

I figured that may be an issue. I'd be interested to see what sort of accommodations could be made. I really think it could be a solid start to a profitable field, with a lot of work. It's not your typical setup, but it could still introduce a lot of people to the game.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:17 AM #4
CrusaderPB
Field, Pro Shop & Repairs

Annual Supporting Member
CrusaderPB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CrusaderPB supports Bob Gurnsey
CrusaderPB supports our troops
CrusaderPB has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CrusaderPB has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
CrusaderPB supports Empire
I think lazer tag arenas are geared towards younger participants for a reason - they would be much more psyched to play. Also, cleanup would be a nightmare depending on the flooring you use...paintballs are very slippery as we all know. Could lighting be an issue?

Also, there is nothing preventing you from applying the benefits you mentioned outside of this. You could charge the same thing for outdoor. 1 game is $x, you get Y paintballs included. You can either sell extra paint, or not permit an unfair advantage.

^Which, in itself, is just a monetized version of Chris Raehl's 'Tactical' play which I'm very fond of. It caps the amount of paintballs you may use per match.
Now a Planet Eclipse Service Center

Like us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter! Subscribe to our Thread!
CrusaderPB is offline   Reply With Quote