Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 PM #1
skrib

New to PB, looking for common PB knowledge

Just recently got into paintballing. With that being said, I'm looking for someone to school me on common paintball knowledge and even advanced paintball knowledge for that matter.

Hit me with some comments, links, PMs, videos, email, whichever you like but I would like to know:

1) Tips
2) Strategy
3) Terminology
4) Ethic
5) Anything I might of missed

Pretty much without having much in game experience, I'd like to be on the fast track to learn the rest of the game as fast as possible. I'm not asking for your personal team strategies but using basketball as an example "3-2 zone defense". This type of defense is generic. What kind of generic strategies do you start with in Paintball? Tips you've picked up with your experience? Proper ethic. What do/don't you do? What terms are commonly thrown around in paintball?

If anyone wants to school me on any or all of this information by personal experience or by some kind of link to a website kicking knowledge that would be awesome. I learn real fast. I'm not expecting to step onto the course and be awesome but I would like to have the best head start I could.

Much props in advance to anyone who helps me out.
skrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 PM #2
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
New player help forum rule 12:
"Before posting a new thread, try using the “search” function of the website. We understand that sometimes you won’t be able to find the answers to your question, and in that case we welcome you to post a new thread. However, many times people post threads that are re-posted almost every day. Sometimes there are even multiple threads on the same topic that are on the front page at the same time! That is simply unacceptable, as it unnecessarily sucks up site bandwidth. Once you’ve determined that the search function isn’t helping, put a little note in your new thread to let people know you already tried searching; that way they’ll be more eager to spend time helping you out."

Not to sound rude but you should try looking around for yourself and then ask questions you can't find answers to. "Tell me everything" doesn't really help
Lover of All Things Paintball

Buy my airsoft gear
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 PM #3
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Edited, read the post below...
As Captain Crunch told you, search function is a very valuable tool!
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011

Last edited by 2nwyka : 05-16-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Epically screwed up everything!
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 PM #4
kendakilla
Army Black Knights

kendakilla owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kendakilla is an NCPA player
kendakilla supports Pev's Paintball
kendakilla plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
Depends on what you play. I play woodsball and scenario ball, and so my strategies have a lot to do with flanks. If I've got nine people on my team, I'll send three up the right, three up the left, and keep three as a rescue team. Or, four left, five right. As for speedball, no clue.

Noah
excellent common pb knowledge

"It's not brain science...It's simple" ---Bob Long
kendakilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 PM #5
Zero13
That Guy

Zero13 helped look for balloons
Zero13 is playing at Living Legends III
Zero13 is for the Gunfight
Zero13 supports Pev's Paintball
Always be up to play people, regardless of jersey, gun, whatever. More times than not, these people will do the best they can to integrate you into the game instead of rollover you like you may believe. This goes double if you are looking to get better, don't play rentals every two weeks and think you are getting better, try to challenge yourself. Make a joke about you being new, whatever you want to do, but be open to play, and people will respect that because they came to play as well. This has all been my experience, I hope you enjoy.
Zero13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:33 PM #6
skrib

Thanks for the feedback. I've used the search function and I've done my fair share of research but its hard to do research sometimes when you dont have keywords or correct terminology. For instance if you told me "you need to practice on your snap shooting" - I got no clue what that means but then thats something I would look up.

I'm interested in everything surrounding speedball. I should of stated that in my original post. I'm not worried about getting rolled over. In fact, that's what I want. That's how i'm gonna learn. I want to be able to take anything I can learn on paper to a field and then work on it rather then go to a field blind and then try to pick it up there. With that being said, drop some terms, links, resources anything. I'm not asking to be baby fed by asking you guys to "tell me everything". I'm just looking for direction.

Last edited by skrib : 05-15-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:41 PM #7
skrib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero13 View Post
Always be up to play people, regardless of jersey, gun, whatever. More times than not, these people will do the best they can to integrate you into the game instead of rollover you like you may believe. This goes double if you are looking to get better, don't play rentals every two weeks and think you are getting better, try to challenge yourself. Make a joke about you being new, whatever you want to do, but be open to play, and people will respect that because they came to play as well. This has all been my experience, I hope you enjoy.
Thank you by the way. Its good to know people in the paintball world are cool and down to earth.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:13 AM #8
Henrybg
Notorious

Annual Supporting Member
Henrybg plays in the PSP
Henrybg supports Cereal Killerz 2
Henrybg is an NCPA player
Henrybg plays in the APPA D4 division
Henrybg is Boss
Henrybg is All In
Henrybg owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
Depends on what you play. I play woodsball and scenario ball, and so my strategies have a lot to do with flanks. If I've got nine people on my team, I'll send three up the right, three up the left, and keep three as a rescue team. Or, four left, five right. As for speedball, no clue.

Noah
god your fields of fire are all jacked up...I pray you never actually are placed in a combat situation and attempt to send three people left and another three right with three standing back...you have two friendly teams shooting at each other while they run into the fire of the supposed "rescue team"
Henrybg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:54 AM #9
HaWtDog123
Sundays

HaWtDog123 supports Team VICIOUS
HaWtDog123 supports Team VICIOUS
HaWtDog123 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Dynasty's dysected. Great help, doesn't matter if it's speedball or woodsball. Just play and have fun. Experience beats anything you read online. I agree with the fields of fire comment. It's completely jacked up. If that's how he plays, then hope it works. Won't do a lick of good in the real world. Then again every plan falls to **** when the first bullet flies. Especially when you got some butter bar fresh out of OCS.. Wasn't a fun day. Either way, welcome to the sport. No matter what remember to have fun.
HaWtDog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:54 AM #10
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Here are some help and info threads on paintball goodness:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3655911

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=74253386

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=75009106

Which I'd say are best read in the order listed.

Remember, whatever you do in life, there always be a gazillion of battling opinions from everyone on everything.

Take all advice with more than just a grain of salt and try things out for yourself if you're really curious. Avoid the whole "bandwagon" scheme of things where "Oh, the Ego is popular. Popular must mean it's good. I'll get the Ego." and that's that and you'd always wonder why the frame is so planky on all paintball guns, or why all paintball guns are so loud and "fappy" sounding at times.

Also, it's totally fine, whatever age and however much money you have, to start out slow and low, try buying into the sport with simpler markers (guns) and loading/fuel(air) devices. You'll be surprised how you may like the older highend guns over a newer highend gun. Or lower end gear over higher end gear.

Don't freak if you love the Angel G7 Fly, but not a Planet Eclipse Dark Edition SL94 with Plank kit and Cure4.

The newest gun I currently own is from late 2007 with one exception... I'd like to keep it that way for a while as well.

Besides, the only thing that changed from... 2001 and now... would be weight.

Old cockers had the same air efficiency as new stacked tube poppets. Old spool valve markers could get the same consistency as new spool valve markers.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

My Current Top TradeBait
BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

It's a ****ing graphite IZE Flex for sale! WOW.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Insane_Vendetta: "We used to be schizophrentic, but now we agree.""
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:14 AM #11
Zero13
That Guy

Zero13 helped look for balloons
Zero13 is playing at Living Legends III
Zero13 is for the Gunfight
Zero13 supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrib View Post
Thank you by the way. Its good to know people in the paintball world are cool and down to earth.
No problem at all, like anything else, there will be a couple people that don't fit the description I provided, but that goes for anything you do. Don't let the few ruin the game for you. Also, once you become a regular, repay the favor and act like those that positively effected you on your way up. It might sound weird, but I got sick and tired seeing kids (not saying you are a kid, just an example) get helped up and then act cocky two weeks later, stay humble, and people will like you. It's not that they were lying and then killed anyone they played against, but usually the most humble players seemed to be the most talented. Again, I really hope you enjoy the game. Welcome to it.
Zero13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:18 PM #12
skrib

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
Here are some help and info threads on paintball goodness:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3655911

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=74253386

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=75009106

Which I'd say are best read in the order listed.

Remember, whatever you do in life, there always be a gazillion of battling opinions from everyone on everything.

Take all advice with more than just a grain of salt and try things out for yourself if you're really curious. Avoid the whole "bandwagon" scheme of things where "Oh, the Ego is popular. Popular must mean it's good. I'll get the Ego." and that's that and you'd always wonder why the frame is so planky on all paintball guns, or why all paintball guns are so loud and "fappy" sounding at times.

Also, it's totally fine, whatever age and however much money you have, to start out slow and low, try buying into the sport with simpler markers (guns) and loading/fuel(air) devices. You'll be surprised how you may like the older highend guns over a newer highend gun. Or lower end gear over higher end gear.

Don't freak if you love the Angel G7 Fly, but not a Planet Eclipse Dark Edition SL94 with Plank kit and Cure4.

The newest gun I currently own is from late 2007 with one exception... I'd like to keep it that way for a while as well.

Besides, the only thing that changed from... 2001 and now... would be weight.

Old cockers had the same air efficiency as new stacked tube poppets. Old spool valve markers could get the same consistency as new spool valve markers.
Really appreciate the feedback. I'll read up on those links. I've already geared up. I picked up the PE Etha, Dye Rotor, and a bunch of other pieces. Now I need to get some exp under my belt. I plan to go a lot this summer. I have some buddies to go with but none have that much exp. I'm 25 years old for the record.

EDIT: the first link is great information. I utilized that when purchasing my equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero13 View Post
No problem at all, like anything else, there will be a couple people that don't fit the description I provided, but that goes for anything you do. Don't let the few ruin the game for you. Also, once you become a regular, repay the favor and act like those that positively effected you on your way up. It might sound weird, but I got sick and tired seeing kids (not saying you are a kid, just an example) get helped up and then act cocky two weeks later, stay humble, and people will like you. It's not that they were lying and then killed anyone they played against, but usually the most humble players seemed to be the most talented. Again, I really hope you enjoy the game. Welcome to it.
I hear you 100% dude. That's not my style. Thanks again.

Last edited by skrib : 05-16-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:28 PM #13
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_crunch View Post
New player help forum rule 12:
"Before posting a new thread, try using the “search” function of the website. We understand that sometimes you won’t be able to find the answers to your question, and in that case we welcome you to post a new thread. However, many times people post threads that are re-posted almost every day. Sometimes there are even multiple threads on the same topic that are on the front page at the same time!
That is simply unacceptable, as it unnecessarily sucks up site bandwidth. Once you’ve determined that the search function isn’t helping, put a little note in your new thread to let people know you already tried searching; that way they’ll be more eager to spend time helping you out."

Not to sound rude but you should try looking around for yourself and then ask questions you can't find answers to. "Tell me everything" doesn't really help
Old 05-16-2012, 05:30 PM #14
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrybg View Post
god your fields of fire are all jacked up...I pray you never actually are placed in a combat situation and attempt to send three people left and another three right with three standing back...you have two friendly teams shooting at each other while they run into the fire of the supposed "rescue team"
Looking back at that now, yeah, that is screwed up...we only ever used it once and it actually worked only because we all wore the same things on the back of our mask straps, eliminating friendly fire...other than that, that's probably a bad strategy...of course, the rescue team did move REALLY early, which put all nine of us on a frontal assault, which is probably why it worked. OP, ignore that strategy!
The four left-five right thing works a good bit of the time. One team, usually the five, draws fire while the four work their way around the other flank, catching them in a 90-degree crossfire. If this fails, I always have two teams at opposite flanks of the field, which gives me that crossfire and eliminates friendly kills.

As for other common knowledge, here's some
Good luck and good hunting!
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 PM #15
Oonlo
STOP DONT TOUCH ME THERE

Oonlo is playing at Living Legends V
Oonlo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Oonlo supports Pev's Paintball
Oonlo has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Oonlo is attending Decay of Nations VI
always shake hands with ppl if you've been playing specifically with them like a mini group you will make friends

From all us pump players... Ramping is unnecessary i can kill you with one shot... On the other hand YOU need 100

★☆ If your parents DONT pay for your PB stuff, put this in your Sig ☆★
Oonlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 AM #16
EastCoastHitmen

EastCoastHitmen is playing at Living Legends V
EastCoastHitmen is for the Gunfight
EastCoastHitmen is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrybg

war and paintball are quite differnt
EastCoastHitmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:45 AM #17
Gamer USA
RON PAUL 2012

Gamer USA owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Gamer USA has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oonlo View Post
always shake hands with ppl if you've been playing specifically with them like a mini group you will make friends
Agreed. The best way to learn is to play and get around other people. Just like anything else, people are willing and usually eager to teach what they know.

It sounds dumb but get out there and play. Every day that you do, your knowledge will expand.

Everytime you hear something you dont understand or a term that is new, make a mental note. when you get home, google it.

Even if you are out of shape and have no skill, you can still play woods-ball.

Last edited by Gamer USA : 05-23-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Gamer USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 PM #18
Henrybg
Notorious

Annual Supporting Member
Henrybg plays in the PSP
Henrybg supports Cereal Killerz 2
Henrybg is an NCPA player
Henrybg plays in the APPA D4 division
Henrybg is Boss
Henrybg is All In
Henrybg owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastHitmen View Post
war and paintball are quite differnt
actually no its not especially in big scenario events or with crossfield shots on an x-ball field; do you ever want to shoot your own teammates?...clearly your experience is lacking. go facepalm yourself

Last edited by Henrybg : 05-24-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Henrybg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:09 PM #19
Irish916
eThug

Irish916 plays in the PSP
You'll learn most terminology on your own. Most of it refers to gear, bunker names and "advanced techniques" I guess you could call them, most common ones being snap shooting, laning/sweetspotting, and diving/superman/sliding.

A quick breakdown:
Snap shooting is basically just coming out of your bunker only face/one arm and hand/gun exposed to shoot at someone. Not a hard concept, the harder part is doing it with correct form.

Laning is shooting at an opposing player in a certain gap between bunkers, typically on an airball field. The trick is to shoot about waist line about a foot or so in front of them so their options are reduced to running through the lane and probably dying or diving under/over your lane. If you just shoot after them as they run you won't hit them, don't follow them, lead them.

Diving is a bit different. Everyone has their own style and there are a few different slides (baseball/hip slide, and superman/dive) but the basics don't change. Most people have a hard time learning to dive. The trick is to actually not jump but to run low with your weight forward and as you get close to the bunker lean your weight over so you almost fall but you land on your elbows/forearms before knees and your momentum carries you.

There are 2 national speedball leagues that influence every regional and local event. They are NPPL and PSP. The rules, field layouts and bunker shapes vary a bit and so does general strategy as a result. I'm not sure of your location but NPPL is generally more popular West Coast where East coast almost exclusively plays PSP.
The most noticable difference is NPPL you have 7 players on the field and maybe I'm wrong but you play best 2 out of 3 with a longer game clock. PSP, uses the xball format which is much faster paced and more spectator friendly. You have 10-12 guys on the roster typically but there are 5 active players on the field. Each game you win and hang the flag counts as a single "point" and depending on division you have to reach a certain number of points in the amount of time given, with 2 minute breaks between each point. Games are played back to back at a fast pace and it gets tiring, hence the reason for a 12man roster.

Most of the strategy and advanced techniques are better learned at a field after you have a bit of understanding but a bit of general advice.

Square your body/shoulders up the the bunker, don't try and James Bond **** with your back against the bunker, it'll get you killed.

Watch for shadows and where the refs are looking if you have a hard time figuring out where every player on the opposing team is.

Your gun isn't just for getting kills, it's more like a swiss army knife. You can shoot people in to make them switch sides so you can move up, you can get in their head by shooting at certain spots to bait them into doing something stupid that you foresaw, just putting a few balls in the air to make sure they can't watch and protect their front player, the list goes on.

Watch more experienced players play, but watch critically, don't just watch them play but watch for what they do in each situation and why. If you're confused ask questions. "How did you shoot me?" is one of the best questions you can ask, you'll learn quite a bit from asking that question multiple times.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3136778

these threads are excellent with an invaluable amount of information and short reads as well.

Last edited by Irish916 : 05-25-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Irish916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:43 AM #20
egoballer975

egoballer975 plays in the PSP
egoballer975 is playing at Living Legends VII
egoballer975 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
egoballer975 plays in the APPA D4 division
got any advice for playing in a tournament with two people that dont play paintball on a regular basis
egoballer975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:54 PM #21
Realygoofyguy

Another skill to master is switching hands, make sure that the smallest target possible is all that is coming out of a bunker, this will greatly increase the amount of time you spend on the field.

Communication-yell yell and yell some more, make sure that your teammates know where the other team is located. Who is moving on the other side, what to shoot at, how many left on the other team etc. Make sure they know when you are out, pay attention to when your team mates are out.

Make sure you have a comfortable mask that you can breath in without it fogging up.

Take care of your gear, a lot of people claim certain guns are not reliable, or come to paintball and have all kinds of issue with gear, because they throw their stuff in a bag and don't look at it again til the next time they go play. This is the death of any paintball gun, mask or hopper you can buy. Clean it after each use, follow the manufacturer's recommendations on lubing etc.

Ask questions. I've been playing for 17 years and I still ask people what they are doing and how this works. I ask opinions of players I respect on gear, form, play style and anything I'm not totally sure about.

Have fun, this is the most important thing, and I've noticed that a lot of the newer players forget this, especially when tourniments are involved. You are not a pro player, and no offence you probably never will be, so just have a good time. Don't get stressed or frustrated, people are going to cheat, wipe, be generally douchey, but that's how some people are. Don't let it ruin your new favorite sport.

Learn your bunker names-very important for that communication thing I talked about earlier.

Have fun and welcome to the game.
Realygoofyguy is offline   Reply With Quote