Community Focus

Old 09-01-2012, 12:09 PM #43
americigerm
Punchin Nerds in the Dome

americigerm owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
americigerm has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
americigerm has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
americigerm has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
It may feel like its dying (on the central coast in California it's non-existant), but once you look at the companies that are involed with all of the production of products, it's thriving, majorly.
E-Vents SE Ink'd w/ Ninja Lens
Battle Sports USA
americigerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2012, 08:04 PM #44
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
As everyone stated, I think paintball is something that almost everyone that tries, enjoys.

I started playing when I was 12 and stopped when I was 16. I picked it back up again when I was 22 and stopped when I was 25. I am 29 now and just getting back into it. The reason for the gaps? Money. That is the main factor. From the time I was 16-22, I was into cars, girls, and modifying my cars so thats where my money went. By the time I was 22, I had all the cars I wanted, I had everything done to my cars and I was bored with that hobby (I've had 17, from evos,sti's,cobras,mustangs,suvs,etc). So, I started paintball again, I also got a real job and made enough money to keep my cars and play paintball whenever. Did that for 3 years, got hurt at work (my left thumb was removed from my hand by machinery), other life priorities took over. Now that those are settled, I have time for it again and my wife wants me to have a hobby.

Whats holding me back? Money. Do I have it? Yes. Do I want to come off of it for a $1200 gun? Not really. Am I going to? More than likely if I stick with it, next season I will buy the newest gun that carries a hefty price tag. Right now, I'm going to dust my old gear off and give it a run before I do though.

I honestly think what is killing it is poorly ran, maintained, and staffed fields. They provide a poor experience and when people are making every buck count, a poor experience can ruin ones impression. Just like everything in life. I also think unless you play it professionally or want to make a run at being a pro. Paintball is something that never leaves your desire. You just stop when life picks up and start it back up again when you have time. Just like any other hobby.

1/1 Factory Acid wash green splashed luxe... Cheap.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4281337
rexisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:39 PM #45
FlashPB

In a way.. Paintball, yes, is quite an expensive sport, but once you spend all the money to get good and get on a good team, sponsors will pay for nearly everything.
FlashPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:45 PM #46
ihavesuperaids

ihavesuperaids plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashPB View Post
In a way.. Paintball, yes, is quite an expensive sport, but once you spend all the money to get good and get on a good team, sponsors will pay for nearly everything.
You're kidding, right?
ihavesuperaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:52 PM #47
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
You forgot the "".
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:34 PM #48
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
I spend more money playing for a team than I ever did playing rec ball.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:22 PM #49
Rocburn

I'm noticing the same thing. Paintball has declined in my hometown. But there are always die-hards out there willing to keep it up and running
Rocburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:49 PM #50
BigdavePNW

What happened to paint quality.... I just got back into the game and the paint now is horrible.... balls in one batch coming out as different sizes.... was not impressed
BigdavePNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:04 AM #51
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigdavePNW View Post
What happened to paint quality.... I just got back into the game and the paint now is horrible.... balls in one batch coming out as different sizes.... was not impressed
You're probably using a different grade of paint than you were before. All brands are not created equal.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:31 PM #52
BigdavePNW

I just got back into the sport... used to buy marballizer 2500 for around 125.... i stopped in 98..... so I see they make lots of different paint which is great compaired to 3 companies back in the day..... but I even saw high grade paint that was by far not even close to the same product we shot in 90-98.... but then again the way the game is played has changed a lot so you don't need to longball anymore... or as much I should say.
BigdavePNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:14 PM #53
Smakman
Owner: Smak Zone PB

has been a member for 10 years
I can tell you this. I opened my field in 2000. I hosted my first scenario event in 2001. We had 70 players. The following year we had 150+, the next year 304, the next, 368, the next about 275, then 225 or so, then 175 or thereabouts. Now we can barely field 100 players and promote our butts off and give away a lot for free just to get that. Thank God it was just something I started doing for the fun of it. I would have starved trying to make any kind of living at it.

The sport is definitely in a decline and has been for a few years now. We used to have big vendors and companies stepping up to donate prizes. No more. I am afraid that the hayday of paintball is past but I am glad to have been a part of it. Next year we will host our annual scenario again, but it may be the last time. It's been a hell of a ride but it may just be time to move on to new adventures and challenges. I have met some of the greatest people I have known due to the sport and have made good friends. I would like to carry on for years to come but maybe it just isn't in the cards.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:34 PM #54
byarosh201

Paintball isn't a dying sport in the least bit. I go to quite a few fields in my area in varying distances of travel between 15 minutes up to 2 hours. Like people have said the way a field is ran, and it's setup, as well as its player group keep people coming back, or walk away after 1 run.

Prices aren't too bad most fields in my area are byop, with a slightly higher entry fee(a difference of 10-15) and their rental costs are low as well(35-55) with 500 balls. So I don't see price being an issue. On my average one weekend day of play I bring 100 out, if I buy a case+entry that's 65 bucks gone if I byop. I only spent 10-20. What's the problem?

Gear prices: as people said before you don't need the latest and greatest. Go buy a 98c or a bt4. You are gonna spend 200-250 tops. Now go upgrade piece by piece. Get a mask. Buy a good tank, then a hopper. The last piece of equipment you buy is a new marker. Everything else can be brought with you to the next level. Break up up the price points, because if you go on ans and build a complete mid-high end gear bag it's gonna hurt.

I think the thing paintball needs the most is companies to stop being so greedy, take a step back and put pressure on the leagues. Pressure them to merge, for the good of the sport as it is right now, it will never grow. I know it's asking a lot but a league merger would be the best thing to happen for the sport. It will make it easier to follow and allow it to get out there more under a single name.
byarosh201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:24 PM #55
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smakman View Post
I can tell you this. I opened my field in 2000. I hosted my first scenario event in 2001. We had 70 players. The following year we had 150+, the next year 304, the next, 368, the next about 275, then 225 or so, then 175 or thereabouts. Now we can barely field 100 players and promote our butts off and give away a lot for free just to get that. Thank God it was just something I started doing for the fun of it. I would have starved trying to make any kind of living at it.

The sport is definitely in a decline and has been for a few years now. We used to have big vendors and companies stepping up to donate prizes. No more. I am afraid that the hayday of paintball is past but I am glad to have been a part of it. Next year we will host our annual scenario again, but it may be the last time. It's been a hell of a ride but it may just be time to move on to new adventures and challenges. I have met some of the greatest people I have known due to the sport and have made good friends. I would like to carry on for years to come but maybe it just isn't in the cards.
Sorry to hear about the decline of your field but that isn't an indication of the sport dying. You have to recognize that in some areas paintball is booming while others its barely existent. For example, you just spoke about the numbers your field sees. Well there is a field in Illinois that has opened barely two years ago that's seeing over 700-900 people a weekend for regular rec days. And their growing to the point where they don't even have enough rental markers to supply people. Another field closer to me is seeing numbers even larger and has been for YEARS.
Part of beginning any business is location. Sad to say but perhaps your city simply isn't the place for it. Maybe there are other factors. Like maybe you live in a state/city where people can get away with playing Outlaw ball without any penalty.
But a sport like paintball where people can shoot one another without penalty is never going to die. We are too violent as a species to give up any of our gladiator sports lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by byarosh201 View Post
I think the thing paintball needs the most is companies to stop being so greedy, take a step back and put pressure on the leagues. Pressure them to merge, for the good of the sport as it is right now, it will never grow. I know it's asking a lot but a league merger would be the best thing to happen for the sport. It will make it easier to follow and allow it to get out there more under a single name.
What about the companies is greed though? Most companies now make products for pretty much every economic level. And seeing as these companies are the ones that most support the speedball leagues, they have to get their income from somewhere.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Last edited by Soul06 : 09-16-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:11 PM #56
Angrypencils

I find it funny that this thread is right next to another thread telling everyone that the word "Paintball" was the most googled word all year long. I don't think it's dying at all. Around me, it seems like there's more people starting to try out paintball than ever before. It might be that finally I've convinced all my friends, but the field nearest me always draws in tons of players. Granted, it's the best (and more or less only) field in an hour of driving time, but where I live that's not all that bad
Angrypencils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:50 PM #57
They Call Me Rain
Aaron

Annual Supporting Member
They Call Me Rain owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
They Call Me Rain supports Team VICIOUS
They Call Me Rain is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
They Call Me Rain is Legendary
They Call Me Rain is Boss
They Call Me Rain supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreXRooster
When ever I browse the internet to look up new gear and stuff about paintball, I here and see the question is (paintball a dying sport) a lot. I really don't know how to answer this question because it feels like paintball died a long time ago in my city I mean our closest speedball coarse is 1.5 hours away its a little rediculous. But there is hope. The silver lining of paintball is its such a fun sport that once you play it once you will most likely fall in love with it and play it again and again... But the "black lining" is paintball is so expensive its hard to maintain going to play and upgrading gear with funds that most players have... So you constantly have people quitting due to prices on gear,guns,and paint. But you also have people joining the sport because its so fun. Its a never ending cycle of people quitting getting replaced by the noobs. So do I believe paintball is dying... No because if you love something you want to keep it alive and refuse to let it die.
Apparently English grammar is dying for you because this long fragmentary paragraph was terrible.

It's coming back slowly.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:07 PM #58
inferno2inferno

Paintball as a sport is not dying nor has it ever necessarily. Players and enthusiasts alike never leave the sport completely; they always tend to come back. What has died in regards to Paintball, is the industry. The economy took a hit and so did paintball; the industry slowed down and consolidated itself. With a recovering economy, the industry will/is grow again, and consequently be open to more people.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:45 AM #59
ShotS

ShotS plays in the PSP
ShotS owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ShotS supports Pev's Paintball
ShotS plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
OP, your thinking is wrong. You see paintball as dying because of the lack of speedball fields and the inability for some people to continually purchase newer gear. There are a few things you must realize;
1- Paintball began in the woods. Paintball exists because of woodsball. The money generated from woodsball is the life blood of the sport. Always has been. Always will be. So while you might see a decline in some speedball it doesn't mean the sport as a whole is dying. I dont work at or run a field but I think its say to say that a good woodsball field will always do better than fields dedicated just to speedball. Now if woosball was to disappear...forget it. Party Done!!!

2- The idea that you have to continually upgrade your gear to remain competitive is completely incorrect. People run themselves out of the sport doing this and then blame the sport for being too expensive. Lets say you entered the sport in 2006 and purchased whatever was considered amongst the best marker, hopper and tank for that year. Why in 2007 and every year up until now, in 2012, do you feel you have to update your gear? So long as you 2006 gear is working like it did when you bought it you dont NEED to update anything. Newer gear isn't going to make you a better player.
this is where your thinking is wrong. if speedball is dying - if - and speedball is CLEARLY a major part of paintball(PSP, NPPL, Millennium, CXBL, etc...), then paintball as a whole is dying....

do i think it's dying? no, however, i dont think it is growing either. paintball is simply maintaining, however, i do see it growing in the future. my reason why, because everyone knows what paintball is, and everyone wants to play it, but they dont know where to or have some fear, but with time theyll make that jump into actually doing it. also, like 2 days ago at my college they set up a speedball field in the middle of the college. it was a REALLY ****ty speedball field(im comparing it to psp fields) and the guns were spyders converted to shoots these bouncy ball looking things. it kind of reminded me of a 250 cal. lmao! but still it promoting the game, and even though i thought it was gay and didnt play it, it is such a great start.
ShotS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:52 AM #60
NWO_Loki
SaintS 2nd in Command

Its tough to get paintball going to the masses. Its not like basketball or football where you can just pick up your gear an go. You are constantly paying to play.

Sponsored By:
Paintball Explosion --- Valken ---Killjoy Industries --- Flurry Industries
NWO_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 PM #61
Paint_Army

Paint_Army owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Paint_Army has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'll pass on some facts from a report from the SGMA on the paintball industry that I bought earlier in the year. This is what it says based on their 2011 paintball participation report (page 6):

"Percent of the total U.S. population aged 6 or older who participate once or more per year...

2000 1.39%, 2001 1.49%, 2002 1.67%, 2003 1.87%, 2004 1.82%, 2005 1.94%, 2006 1.66%, 2007 1.98%, 2008 1.74%, 2009 1.62%, 2010 1.29%"

Of the 1.29% of the population that plays paintball at least once per year, only 0.4% play more than 8 times per year (page 8). This is why everyone is pushing to get new players into the sport.

I personally agree with Mike Phillips' viewpoint that ramping has been a contributing factor to the decline in the paintball industry over the past few years. If you take the new paintball player's point of view, seeing everyone ramp and shoot a lot is a bit intimidating and it's hard to compete against. If you don't agree with me then play with a rental next time and you'll see what I mean.
Paint_Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:16 PM #62
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint_Army View Post
I'll pass on some facts from a report from the SGMA on the paintball industry that I bought earlier in the year. This is what it says based on their 2011 paintball participation report (page 6):

"Percent of the total U.S. population aged 6 or older who participate once or more per year...

2000 1.39%, 2001 1.49%, 2002 1.67%, 2003 1.87%, 2004 1.82%, 2005 1.94%, 2006 1.66%, 2007 1.98%, 2008 1.74%, 2009 1.62%, 2010 1.29%"

Of the 1.29% of the population that plays paintball at least once per year, only 0.4% play more than 8 times per year (page 8). This is why everyone is pushing to get new players into the sport.

I personally agree with Mike Phillips' viewpoint that ramping has been a contributing factor to the decline in the paintball industry over the past few years. If you take the new paintball player's point of view, seeing everyone ramp and shoot a lot is a bit intimidating and it's hard to compete against. If you don't agree with me then play with a rental next time and you'll see what I mean.
That's not really a fair way to do it though. Any experienced player using a rental against ramping will still not fell nearly as intimidated as a new player that has never played (or played very rarely). It's not just ramping though, it's electronic or hair triggers in general (along with dropping paint prices over the years) that has evolved paintball into what we find at the average field today. Even if ramping had never been invented, the fact that many players choose not to take part due to the environment on a modern paintball field would still be much the same.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:28 PM #63
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon
That's not really a fair way to do it though. Any experienced player using a rental against ramping will still not fell nearly as intimidated as a new player that has never played (or played very rarely). It's not just ramping though, it's electronic or hair triggers in general (along with dropping paint prices over the years) that has evolved paintball into what we find at the average field today. Even if ramping had never been invented, the fact that many players choose not to take part due to the environment on a modern paintball field would still be much the same.
Touched on kind of what I was going to say. People are always so quick to blame ramping but overlook the low end markers with their response, burst and full auto modes. My first time playing some opposing players were using 98 Customs with e-triggers set to full auto. 15bps sounded like 30 to use. We were new. Didn't scare us off but my point is just that we can't just blame the ramping of the higher ends

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote