Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 02:38 PM #1
Paul724567
thats that
 
Paul724567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Apple Valley MN
Paul724567 posts videos on PbNation
Paul724567 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paul724567 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Paul724567 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Paul724567 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
please help!! i need people that know what they're talking about lol, dye vs all

ok so ill try and make my question simple and ill start off by saying everything you guys share is extremely helpful and im thankful for it, with that being said that it begin!!

ok so there are two things that i like about Dye guns number one the way the ball flys and number two the feel haha thats about it, ive never had any luck with them and personally will not buy there guns. with that being said please dont answer my question by saying buy dye lol.

question time
i want to know what makes a paintball fly out of a dye gun different from everything else? to me it seems to go straight forever like a B-line instead of an arc? how does it happen? is it the barrel or the bolt or what? i got a dye CF UL boomstick, put it on my g6r and nothing really changed, that being said it is a 688 and probably should be a 684. than i had someone tell me at my field that its the other barrel that dye makes and puts stock on all there guns. i would really like to know how dye does this. if you can help me out that would be great!!!

if your confused on what im talking about post and il try and make myself more clear
Paul724567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2012, 04:24 PM #2
nerdcore
Radical!
 
nerdcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Crashville
 has been a member for 10 years
nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
It's not the gun, and it's not particularly the barrel. All paintballs will eventually arc down. Thank you, gravity. Having shot a variety of dm's with both dye barrels and other barrels, the barrels themselves hadn't made any difference in that regard.

Stock barrels on dm's are Dye Ultralites, btw.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM #3
NorCalMagic
 
 
NorCalMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cupertino, CA
NorCalMagic plays in the PSP
NorCalMagic supports Cereal Killerz 2
NorCalMagic plays in the APPA D2 division
i have no clue, but was thinking that maybe there's a slight upward angle to it, when you hold it 'flat'?

i personally think that my dm12 shot a similar trajectory to my geo2 though so perhaps there's something subconciously happening... if the same ball is flying at 290fps, then it should hit the same spot, no matter what gun it's coming out of, so theoretically, makes no sense... but I have experienced what you noticed before.

maybe you feel like your holding the gun straight and flat, but it's slightly angled up, but we dont' notice or something

i have no idea man, but this has been discussed prolly a thousand times and everyone says everything's the same... I noticed it a bit more on my NT vs geo though, which is wierd.

edit: buy dye!

Last edited by NorCalMagic : 05-15-2012 at 06:07 PM.
NorCalMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:57 PM #4
Mrob1995
Day Man (Ah-Ah-AHHH)
 
Mrob1995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Mrob1995 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mrob1995 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Mrob1995 supports DLX Technology
There is science to a barrel that affects the flight of a ball that most people are unaware of. If you watch high speed footage of a paintball being shot, the front of the ball leaves the barrel with a concave inward. (don't ask me for the footage, I don't have it. The owner of Disruptive Paintball showed me) Dye UL barrels actually do leave the ball with less of a concave upon its exit, disruptive barrels do as well, and this does produce a straighter flight path. Obviously this difference is very minor and I'm well aware that people will doubt my claims without footage. You're welcome to believe I spent this much time writing just to fool a fellow paintball player but I promise, I'm not that guy.
__________________
Like Grasscity for paintball

DLX Luxe 2.0

Dye Reflex Pump
Mrob1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:58 PM #5
Paul724567
thats that
 
Paul724567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Apple Valley MN
Paul724567 posts videos on PbNation
Paul724567 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paul724567 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Paul724567 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Paul724567 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMagic View Post
i have no clue, but was thinking that maybe there's a slight upward angle to it, when you hold it 'flat'?

i personally think that my dm12 shot a similar trajectory to my geo2 though so perhaps there's something subconciously happening... if the same ball is flying at 290fps, then it should hit the same spot, no matter what gun it's coming out of, so theoretically, makes no sense... but I have experienced what you noticed before.

maybe you feel like your holding the gun straight and flat, but it's slightly angled up, but we dont' notice or something

i have no idea man, but this has been discussed prolly a thousand times and everyone says everything's the same... I noticed it a bit more on my NT vs geo though, which is wierd.

edit: buy dye!
at least you know what im trying to ask lol might be how i hold it but idk btw i am talking about nts yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrob1995 View Post
There is science to a barrel that affects the flight of a ball that most people are unaware of. If you watch high speed footage of a paintball being shot, the front of the ball leaves the barrel with a concave inward. (don't ask me for the footage, I don't have it. The owner of Disruptive Paintball showed me) Dye UL barrels actually do leave the ball with less of a concave upon its exit, disruptive barrels do as well, and this does produce a straighter flight path. Obviously this difference is very minor and I'm well aware that people will doubt my claims without footage. You're welcome to believe I spent this much time writing just to fool a fellow paintball player but I promise, I'm not that guy.
thanks for the insight
Paul724567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 AM #6
SKI008
Fear my Join Date
 
SKI008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
 has been a member for 10 years
300 fps is 300 fps, Dye guns do not shoot flatter. It might appear that way based on the ergonomics or a whole host of other factors but it's just appearance. Your Ego 10 will shoot the ball the same distance as a DM if they are chronoed the same with the same trajectory. Poppits are generally taller than spools. Since the ball leaves the barrel slightly higher above your hand it appears to drop more but if you actually were to lay out a tape measure the ranges won't be different. If the ranges aren't different, the ball had the same muzzle velocity, and gravity affects the ball the same way, how could the trajectories be different between two guns?

I'm not at all going to say I am a qualified physics guy but just from thinking logically about the physics I do know I can't see any reason why a spool valve at 300 fps would shoot differently than a poppet valve at 300 fps.

I'd be very interested to see Mrob's vid because that doesn't make sense to me at all. Paintball deformity would be related to the bolt and air hitting it, I don't see how the barrel would have anything to do with the front side of the ball unless some very weird things happen inside the barrel (and maybe that is what happens but again, based on my rudimentary knowledge of physics and common sense it would seem that a hollow tube is a hollow tube regardless of if it says Dye or Disruptive on it).
__________________
This line is in remembrance of Jared Wilson, friend and paintball teammate who died on 7/27/2005.
My Old Feedback +1/-0 |

Last edited by SKI008 : 05-16-2012 at 05:29 AM.
SKI008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:49 PM #7
Mrob1995
Day Man (Ah-Ah-AHHH)
 
Mrob1995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Mrob1995 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mrob1995 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Mrob1995 supports DLX Technology
The concave of the ball happens because of the pressure that the front of the ball experiences due to air in front of the ball. Porting alone does not solve this and I don't know what does, I only know that UL's do it less. As far as the hollow tube comment, porting sizes, the barrel having trenches along the porting, and other factors have major effects on how air is vented from the barrel. Sound signature changes come from the release of air behind the ball, but there are other factors. I won't pretend to be some super expert on this phenomenon however because A) I don't make barrels B ) I can't provide footage and C) I am no physicist either (just got the basics from high school lol)
__________________
Like Grasscity for paintball

DLX Luxe 2.0

Dye Reflex Pump

Last edited by Mrob1995 : 05-16-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Mrob1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:15 PM #8
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one
 
tlmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: AZ, USA
 has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Yes, all that is true, and affects the ball IN THE BARREL.

But once the ball has exited, everything will be identical (unless you've induced spin). Therefore, at the same exit velocity with the same paint, distance is identical.

The exceptions to this is the first strike, and flatline/apex since they induce (mostly) controllable spin.
__________________
Pics and specs of my markers...tired of updating

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:50 PM #9
SKI008
Fear my Join Date
 
SKI008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller View Post
Yes, all that is true, and affects the ball IN THE BARREL.

But once the ball has exited, everything will be identical (unless you've induced spin). Therefore, at the same exit velocity with the same paint, distance is identical.

The exceptions to this is the first strike, and flatline/apex since they induce (mostly) controllable spin.
That.

Although I have also heard the "Dye guns are slightly angled upwards from the frame" theory before also so there might be some truth to that. But in terms of stuff Dye guns do to balls differently, I think that is not true.
__________________
This line is in remembrance of Jared Wilson, friend and paintball teammate who died on 7/27/2005.
My Old Feedback +1/-0 |
SKI008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump