Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Would you use such a subsection?
Yes. 26 96.30%
No. 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2012, 03:23 PM #1
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is a Supporting Member
Vegard is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Vegard is Boss
Question Adding a forum for "classic" markers

How about adding a subsection in BST for older, rare and unusual markers like they have on certain other boards?

Looking through the current sections for that single unique 12+ year old mech or electronic marker can take alot of time that would be saved if there was a specific subsection to do it in.
-growing older is mandatory – growing up is optional-
Vegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2012, 08:39 PM #2
Scatlm
equilibrium

Thats an awesome idea.
Scatlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:51 PM #3
CyberThug
Playing it Bogart

Annual Supporting Member
CyberThug is a Supporting Member
CyberThug is a founding member
CyberThug is reppin' sidebar 4 life
CyberThug is Legendary
CyberThug is Boss
CyberThug is Immortal
I like the idea.
CyberThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:00 PM #4
USAFWD
Privates Investigator

Annual Supporting Member
USAFWD is a Mega Moderator
USAFWD plays in the PSP
USAFWD donated to help Peyton Trent
USAFWD supports our troops
USAFWD supports DLX Technology
USAFWD is All In
USAFWD is All In
Yea, I could get behind this. Would just take a little more attention for us BST mods to keep the DM12s and the like out.
USAFWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:12 AM #5
cww516
clever text goes here

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I feel like the people who would be looking in that section on purpose are probably the crowd that'll report threads that don't belong, so it might turn out to be easier than you think. At least, one can hope.

That said, I'm opposed, I don't need you guys making it any easier for me to spend my money
cww516 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:15 PM #6
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

WillyW0nka is a Supporting Member
WillyW0nka plays in the PSP
WillyW0nka supports our troops
WillyW0nka plays in the APPA D4 division
Keeping all of the old crappy AKA, AGD, WGP and WDP markers out of the electro forum? I'm a fan. Damn old people guns, tired of lookin' at 'em!!
WillyW0nka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:26 PM #7
Rob66
youtube.com/shootinstuff

Rob66 posts videos on PbNation
Rob66 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Rob66 is Legendary
Rob66 supports Empire
problem: what defines a marker as being old, rare, etc?
Rob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:10 AM #8
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

If you don't know, use the regular electronic/mech markers section.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 AM #9
Scatlm
equilibrium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob66 View Post
problem: what defines a marker as being old, rare, etc?
I'd say most line of markers which are no longer in production. In terms of time-line, I think most would fall under 2004 and below, but some manufacturers went beyond that. However, 'think their line would still fall under classic/vintage -- APS/WDP produced Angels until '09 (correct me if I'm wrong) and WGP until '05, so its a different story with each manufacture.
  • Vintage matrices
  • Autocockers
  • Shockers/Impulses
  • & Angels

To name a few.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:07 AM #10
Scatlm
equilibrium

Oh yeah and also, Shocktech is still producing their 09' SFl 'cockers. SO, it really varies, I'd still consider it a classic though even if its been retro'd today.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:10 AM #11
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

I'd be down to give it an age minimum. I.E. gun must be 7+ years old.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 AM #12
TheUrbanGent
d-.-b

Sounds like a cool idea. I'm surprised people didn't just give the default 'just use the search feature' answer.
TheUrbanGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM #13
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
I've always wanted a section like this, but it sounds like we'd have to have mods on it full time moving threads in and out. That's why we never did it. Also, when we copy a thread in, users wouldn't get a subscription to the new thread. So they might not see the replies.

I am not saying "no chance" but if you guys really want one, you'd need to work out what would go in it. I don't want people all hurt that their gun doesn't meet the qualifications. I mean DM4's are coming up on 9 years now. Are they classics? Or Tippman 68 Specials? They are certainly old enough.
John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:49 PM #14
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

Well Vaginerd is on here all the time, make him moderate it. He probably knows more about the guns that are going to get posted in there than the owners do anyway.

As far as "what belongs" in the forum, it seems like an appropriate sticky/FAQ will need to be made including a list of questions you should ask yourself before starting a thread.

-Is the gun private label?
-Is it more than 6 or 7 years old?
-Is the marker still in production or has the line been discontinued?
-Is there something special about it such as the anodizing, milling or model that would make it a collectible?
-Do you see your marker a lot in other forums or is it relatively uncommon?

Stupid questions like that. If you can't meet at least a few of the requirements on the list, it doesn't belong.

My suggestion would be to make a "mandatory" requirement (age), then have a list of other possible criteria and require that a gun meet at least 2 or 3 of those in order to be able to be posted in the forum.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 PM #15
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
I'd toss a voice against anno/graphics alone being a determining factor. That's something that's just way to easy to replicate without the item being truly special.

I like the idea overall, too, but the concerns are there. Heck, we have some people who can't figure out if their DM8 belongs in electronic or mechanical! Can you imagine that same person thinking "well, I put a CP reg on my gun, it's a one of one now!". Taking the subjectiveness out of the equation will be the key to lining up guidelines that work.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!

Last edited by Pump Scout : 05-15-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:22 PM #16
Scatlm
equilibrium

Also, in this instance I don't think it is detrimental to have to moderate it extensively thread by thread. For instance, as a seller, most people will have the savviness to post it in the classic/vintage BST, since its pretty obvious their market will be more targeted (I'd say you'll have less than 3%+- misplaced threads)

But let's say someone posts a classic/vintage in the Electronic or Mechanical BST, I just don't think its that big of a deal. Its not like if someone is listing a new item in the used section, or someone is posting a WTB thread outside of the WTB section, or even a mechanical marker in the electronic section. In essence, their listing would still meet the criteria of electronic or mechanical (as long as its not being sold as new in the used BST or the latter mentioned thread misplacement) -- so, typically PBN would not leave it open for interpretation to the user-end, but in this case, (i.e.) if someone posts an '06 Angel Speed in the Electronic BST rather than the classic/vintage BST it would not necessarily be wrong, per se. But hey, if someone wants to post their '06 Angel speed in the regular electronic BST, then o wel; their marker will take longer to sell, since more potential Angel buyers will look for such markers in the classic/vintage section, so I just don't think its THAT detrimental from the administrator's POV as other misplaced threads would be.

And as John pointed out, (i.e.) the DM4 is considered a classic already, but the DM line is still current and its not private-label. So, the guidelines would certainly vary from manufacture to manufacture.

So, IMHO, the easiest format would be: anything that is no longer 'relevant', in-terms of a time of production that is 2005 and older and/or a line of markers which is discontinued would be the best criteria and easiest format to follow.

BTW, I used the term 'relevant' from a marketing perspective. As a paintballer a lot of the classics are the ONLY thing that is paintball-relevant in the literal sense.

Anyhow, just my .02

Last edited by Scatlm : 05-16-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 PM #17
Scatlm
equilibrium

Even if you have 5%+- error -- i.e. a vintage listed in the normal Electronic BST or vice-versa -- as a whole you will still have a much leaner ( & enjoyable) BST marketplace, which is easier to navigate.

Last edited by Scatlm : 05-16-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:46 AM #18
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is a Supporting Member
Vegard is a founding member
Vegard is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I've always wanted a section like this, but it sounds like we'd have to have mods on it full time moving threads in and out. That's why we never did it. Also, when we copy a thread in, users wouldn't get a subscription to the new thread. So they might not see the replies.

I am not saying "no chance" but if you guys really want one, you'd need to work out what would go in it. I don't want people all hurt that their gun doesn't meet the qualifications. I mean DM4's are coming up on 9 years now. Are they classics? Or Tippman 68 Specials? They are certainly old enough.
Don't make it mandatory, if people still want to put their stuff in electronic, mech or pump instead that would be allright, just as it's alright to bundle stuff in gearbag and still have an electronic thread for just the marker.
(I assume the latter is ok since so many people do it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyW0nka View Post
Vaginerd
Haha, haven't heard that version before

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyW0nka View Post
As far as "what belongs" in the forum, it seems like an appropriate sticky/FAQ will need to be made including a list of questions you should ask yourself before starting a thread.

-Is the gun private label?
-Is it more than 6 or 7 years old?
-Is the marker still in production or has the line been discontinued?
-Is there something special about it such as the anodizing, milling or model that would make it a collectible?
-Do you see your marker a lot in other forums or is it relatively uncommon?

Stupid questions like that. If you can't meet at least a few of the requirements on the list, it doesn't belong.

My suggestion would be to make a "mandatory" requirement (age), then have a list of other possible criteria and require that a gun meet at least 2 or 3 of those in order to be able to be posted in the forum.
This would get my vote, just remove the anodizing bit and it's golden.
-growing older is mandatory – growing up is optional-
Vegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:46 PM #19
Spyderdome
Resurgence

Spyderdome owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Spyderdome owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Spyderdome owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Spyderdome is Legendary
Spyderdome is attending Decay of Nations VII
This would be one of the best things that could ever happen. I tend to go to McB to find those kind of things, bringing that to the masses would be greatly appreciated. I don't even browse electronic markers anymore because it is so cluttered with markers I'm really not interested in.

Be lean on the requirements and let some folks that have been around awhile take care of the forum.

This I think really fits the bill "-Do you see your marker a lot in other forums or is it relatively uncommon? Is it more than 6 or 7 years old?"

Allow for some self policing by active users, and those who are really using the forum will keep threads that don't belong from being there.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM #20
gunhero5
Aim High - Don't Die

Annual Supporting Member
gunhero5 is a Moderator
gunhero5 is a Supporting Member
gunhero5 is BST Legit
gunhero5 supports Bob Gurnsey
gunhero5 supports our troops
gunhero5 is Immortal
I agree with everthing that's been said. I'm on board, there's good potential here.

I think stressing requirements such as these will be crucial:
"older, rare and unusual" and what Willy listed can weed a lot of the rif-raf out, but it will require a lot of moderation. I also foresee a lot of case-by-case threads that may require even more time of moderation because year of production/milling/"rare-ness" factor is such a jagged grey line when we refer to all paintball markers. Ever created.; I'd also agree to not including the idea of ano/graphics as a determining factor, that will bring about even more unnecessary work.
As well, I think the rules thread in this sub will need to be very black-and-white and specific for the few users who are even going to read through all of it prior to posting. Our facebook page would be a good route to expose the guidelines, too.

"Check out the new Vintage BST Sub-forum where you can sell and trade your old/rare/unique/collectible markers!

Be sure read through and educate yourselves on these guidelines-...................
Your marker belongs here if it's: ...................................."

Something to that extent, and list each item out. Make sure they know. The more they know, the less work for us, and the users are less frustrated.

I'd love for this sort of thing to come into motion, and I'd stand behind the idea, definitely.

◢◤

The Complete AKA Vikings & Excaliburs Visual History
AKA Frames & Triggers Visual History

The Complete Autococker Parts and Building 101 Thread

Last edited by gunhero5 : 05-16-2012 at 03:12 PM.
gunhero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:35 PM #21
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
OK, I admit this is at least a consideration.

However, we need to make it as simple as possible. And people can't freak out if they don't get it exactly their way.

Mechanical and Electronic? Old and new? Buying and selling threads in one forum? Still allow people to double list in the proper forum?
John is online now   Reply With Quote