PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-09-2012, 09:29 PM #1
brendans0cool

brendans0cool has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
brendans0cool has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Parents....

Please help. Almost every week I go paintballing and my mom gives me 20$.. I say that's not enough. I'm thirteen. She thinks the sport is violent. SHE WANTS ME TO QUIT.. Everyday I have to argue with her that I am not quitting paintballing until I am a old grown man.. I know a lot about guns an how to clean, oil, lube, etc. ( PE, DYE, PROTO guns). Only problem...

SHE DOESN'T SUPPORT ME.. Any tips on how to make money? Instead of mowing lawns, etc. there are already people who do that in my neighborhood. But, how do I earn money? Please help. My mom does not give me money any more.. I am a young gunner.. I sell ALL of my things in order to stay in paintball..

Please help me on how to make money and stay in paintball.. I'm thirteen..
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2012, 10:38 PM #2
tjk803

tjk803 plays in the PSP
tjk803 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tjk803 plays in the APPA D4 division
I hear ya....... I was kinda in the same situation your in now, a few years back........ The only time my mom ever helped me out with playing paintball was only the first time I went to go play ..... After that she said its to expensive an I hadda. Find a way to pay for it myself ...... So i was about 12 goin on 13 at the time soo I decided to go around and find any job possible tht I could find around town........ I started with mowing this old lady's lawn and this other guys an between the two I charged them $25 each.. $50 alltogather ..This was just enough for me to play every week ....also I found people To babysit. For ( as gay as it sounds ... Ya gotta do wht ya gotta do for $$) an I easily made $20-30 every other week on that .......... Basically what Iam trying say is just go around an talk to people in your town I know you said most people cut there own lawns or what ever but I mean if it's not a big lawn just offer them a cheap price an there ya go......
For other ideas: rake leaves...... Clean pools.....Shovel snow outta drive ways .....see if your local pb field needs any under the table help ... And maybe try just doing "odd jobs" for people .......... Especially the old people ..... They pay amazingly lol ..... But I know all this seems like alot of hard work but saying as ur only 13 an cant find a legit job,, it'll probs be that way till your about 16 so just do what ya gotta do..... If you really really love ballin you'll find anyway to make a few bucks towards it

Hope I was Helpfull I know I wasn't to focused lol Iam horrible at this kinda stuff and spelling but wanted to help in any way I could haha
Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 PM #3
brendans0cool

The only problem is that my patents are
Strict as hell. After school, I gotta do home work rat than I have sport practices.. They don't believe me that paintball is a sport. I try to convince them every day.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 PM #4
stormtrooper123

stormtrooper123 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Like what was said above yes babysitting doesnt seem like a manly job i have done it and it is good money its worth it to play
Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 PM #5
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Babysitting. I've done that gig quite a while. It helps being a really nice kid and never swearing (ever. Never once I my life. Okay, there was that one time...) so that their parents trust you. Usually I can get $20 a gig, and at two or three a week, that pays for it.
I'm 17 now, and I have a minimum-wage job at Subway, which I work my rear off and don't really get paid enough for what I do, but it's an income and I can make enough to go paintballing every week, which I don't do in actuality.
Mowing lawns, yardwork, stuff like that is also good for the wallet. If you can get $15 a gig, that's fine if you can get three or four gigs per week.
Instrument lessons are perfect! I teach two or three lessons per week in addition to my day job, and that gets me another $30. If you can play well (I've been playing guitar nine years and teaching for four, so I think I can play well enough...) and you know how to teach, you can get hired at a nice rate.
Finally, the most fun part of my additional income, airsmithing. I fix almost everyone's markers at my local field (hence the "Blowback Master" user title. That's what they call me at the field) and I can charge a couple dollars and the cost of the part and come away with more experience and another customer. I also make custom parts like drop-forwards and valves, which is more of an income. Anyways, there's many ways to earn money, and if you're good at one or more of them, you'll be raking in enough to play every weekend!
Noah

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:18 AM #6
smokeage
Team Foxtrot

If they don't think its a sport show them the PSP webcast.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:44 AM #7
brendans0cool

Any other ideas? Lol..
Old 05-12-2012, 05:46 PM #8
ibunkerupwnd
it was all for lolz

ibunkerupwnd supports Team VICIOUS
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
not to be negative but if you dont want to babysit mow lawns or what ever and your too young to work try this instead of every week go every two or three i wish i was payed 20 a week i have to slave my butt off to make 10 dont complain bro
Old 05-13-2012, 10:44 AM #9
Barbara_Walters
I want AR15 mags, PM me

Barbara_Walters plays in the PSP
Barbara_Walters supports Cereal Killerz 2
Barbara_Walters helped look for balloons
Barbara_Walters is an NCPA player
Barbara_Walters has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
When you talk to you parents about paintball, sit them down (they'll appreciate you want to talk about it like 'adults') and explain to them that its important to you. As for parents being strict like making you do chores and homework, just gotta push through it. A little pain during the week for some freedom on the weekends.

As for it being a team sport, its nearly impossible to argue its not. How often do you see 1 vs 1 tournaments? Rarely. 3, 5, 10 (old school), xball, etc. You do it every weekend as a practice for game day/tournaments. Its very active, you warm up, stretch, etc. Its structured, etc. I played all through college, and we had to go to the school officials and present all this to them and they concluded it was a sport and gave us funding.

As for making money getting into paintball. At your age its tough, due to labor laws about making you work. My best advice is to keep playing once or twice a month, as you get older you'll get a job and be able to play more. Don't force it, you dont have to play every weekend like some do. And if you can't fight the urge to play, perhaps go to the field watch some other teams play and try to pick up some tips. Learn from their mistakes.

Good luck! I really hope this helps!
Barbara_Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:54 AM #10
brendans0cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara_Walters
When you talk to you parents about paintball, sit them down (they'll appreciate you want to talk about it like 'adults') and explain to them that its important to you. As for parents being strict like making you do chores and homework, just gotta push through it. A little pain during the week for some freedom on the weekends.

As for it being a team sport, its nearly impossible to argue its not. How often do you see 1 vs 1 tournaments? Rarely. 3, 5, 10 (old school), xball, etc. You do it every weekend as a practice for game day/tournaments. Its very active, you warm up, stretch, etc. Its structured, etc. I played all through college, and we had to go to the school officials and present all this to them and they concluded it was a sport and gave us funding.

As for making money getting into paintball. At your age its tough, due to labor laws about making you work. My best advice is to keep playing once or twice a month, as you get older you'll get a job and be able to play more. Don't force it, you dont have to play every weekend like some do. And if you can't fight the urge to play, perhaps go to the field watch some other teams play and try to pick up some tips. Learn from their mistakes.

I'll try this. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2012, 12:47 PM #11
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is playing at Living Legends V
Racso is playing at Living Legends VI
Racso is playing at Living Legends VII
Racso is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara_Walters View Post

This. And actually schedule a meeting. Tell her that you would like to set aside a half hour to hour long talk about it, and let her choose the time. Tell her would like to not have any distractions and for this to be a complete open time for you and her.

Also, find out why your mom doesn't like it. Not just from a short standpoint, but while you're sitting down and talking nicely, ask, "What is it specifically that you do not like about paintball." And even more importantly, LISTEN TO HER!!! Do not just say, "that's not true" or "you're stupid" or anything like that. Do some homework on the sport (it is fairly safe) and have some responses to things she might say.

Your hardest battle might be the whole "gun" issue. Don't say "they're not guns, they're markers." She wont accept that, and let's face it, they're guns. Instead of fighting that, tell her how safety is very important. Tell her all the safety features involved (barrel blockers, chrono, mask safety, etc.)

Keep in mind that you need to stay calm. Even if she doesn't. No, it isn't fair, but that's how it goes.

as for money, cut your costs. I can play for $25 and use 1/2 case, so if you need drastically more, try and cut your paint usage. Work with the field to help ref (don't be main ref, just help), and see if they can give you a discount or perhaps they're wave field and air fees.

Also, try and get some side jobs. Mowing lawns, raking leaves, spreading mulch, babysitting, dog walking or washing, car washing... anything you see old people doing, you can get paid to do.
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:44 PM #12
pogodude10
like a boss

pogodude10 is playing at Living Legends V
pogodude10 is for the Gunfight
pogodude10 is for the Gunfight
pogodude10 is attending Decay of Nations VI
okay so my mom used to hate the sport too but the key is to show that you have done research and are informed on the sport. just sit down and talk with your parents about it calmly and they will listen. thats what i did and my parents support me now
pogodude10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:28 PM #13
paintball king777

paintball king777 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If you know allot about guns maybe on the weekends you could tech other peoples guns
paintball king777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:32 PM #14
Triemferent

has been a member for 10 years
Triemferent owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
since youre too young to get a real job, how about getting to know your local field owners and try to convince you to let you volunteer at the field. You can work for them for the first half of the day and in return, they give you free admission and air for the second half of the day. And the $20 from mom should get you some paint for the day
Old 05-27-2012, 03:06 AM #15
sstiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triemferent
since youre too young to get a real job, how about getting to know your local field owners and try to convince you to let you volunteer at the field. You can work for them for the first half of the day and in return, they give you free admission and air for the second half of the day. And the $20 from mom should get you some paint for the day
This

My son works at the local field that his friends parents just took over, they are just getting started and are keeping their heads above water but can't afford to pay refs just yet, so all the kids on the team work there reffing and maintaining the facility and get the equivalent of $8 an hour towards their playing or basically a 2 cases of paint a weekend

Last edited by sstiggy : 05-28-2012 at 01:28 AM.
sstiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 AM #16
LeperLord

LeperLord owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
LeperLord supports Empire
Another Idea. I work at a baseball training facility and pro shop. When I was younger 13/15 I would hang around the Little League fields that my brother plays on during his games and I would advertise myself as a batting coach. I told kids parents that if they went in and rented a "batting tunnel" at the facility near my house I would go in and help fine tune their mechanics and throw them some live BP. This was easy for me because I had a reputation in my town for being one of if not the best hitters in both LL and Babe Ruth.

To rent the tunnel cost $20 for an hour and ontop of that I would charge a $20 right to pocket "Lesson Fee"
Parents payed $40 and I took home half of it every hour.

I managed to make some good money doing that sometimes I had 4-5 a week I did this right up until I turned 16 and they put me on the payroll at said facility at $10 an hour.

Find something your good at and teach it to other people then make them pay for it!

Last edited by LeperLord : 07-08-2012 at 02:02 AM.
LeperLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:37 PM #17
Wubzy
Thats Rendaseious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendans0cool
The only problem is that my patents are
Strict as hell. After school, I gotta do home work rat than I have sport practices.. They don't believe me that paintball is a sport. I try to convince them every day.
Tell them that you are going to quit the other sports, start acting angry, tell them that you don't feel good, miss practice for the other sports and say you only like paintball, ask them why they support your other sports, and tell them you are going to sell your other stuff (baseball bats, football jersey and pads)
Wubzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:42 PM #18
Wubzy
Thats Rendaseious!

Don't do what I said
Wubzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:47 PM #19
ibunkerupwnd
it was all for lolz

ibunkerupwnd supports Team VICIOUS
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Don't drill them show them take them to a practice or tourney and show them the sportsmanship and such and if they say no you out of luck until your 18
Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 PM #20
vS Drops

vS Drops owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
vS Drops has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
vS Drops has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
vS Drops has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I want a bob long vice,Ive got a g4 and a invert mini. I was gonna get a trade for a vice for the two but my mom says,"It dosnt make sense that you trade 2 for 1." So i cant make a deal i guess i have to make $400 to $450 worth of cash to buy one.But at 14 i can get a "young adults" debit card and i get 1 free $500 card. Maybe i can buy one with that.
vS Drops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:23 PM #21
MiniMaster423
Proud Luxe 2.0 Owner

Annual Supporting Member
MiniMaster423 plays in the PSP
MiniMaster423 plays in the APPA D5 division
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
you wont just get a free $500 there is probably a catch