Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 PM #85
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

has been a member for 10 years
PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Abstract View Post
1) You can't just "become" a Druid. They were a privileged social class that required decades of study to join.

2) Modern historians know almost nothing about Druids or their function in Gaelic/Celtic society, nor do they have any scripture from them.

3) They practiced human sacrifice. Do you do that to? Or is it just a fad for you to claim being a Druid to try and seem intelligent?
You seem to know as little about Druidism as I do Islam. Druids are what you might call Pagans. Modern Druids do not practice human sacrifice anymore than you practice stoning someone to death. Druids do not have scripture, we have no need of it. Since I've been practicing Druidism for more than 20 years now, I'd say I'm well beyond fad. And yes, you can become a Druid, just like someone can become Muslim or Jewish. The Druids were most certainly not a social class. Druidism is a way of life, a way of thought... its not something that's privileged. And I'm not sure why you'd think that claiming to be Druid would make one seem more intelligent. The only intelligent part on my behalf was choosing to break away from Catholicism, or anything else associated with the complete assinine idea of the god of Abraham.
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2012, 03:18 AM #86
The Abstract
Reject Diversity

You're right. I had no idea neo-Druidism even existed, probably because of its insignificant population. My problem with paganism is it attributes divinity to our natural world as if the depth of existence is constrained to earth.
The Abstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:28 AM #87
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

Quote:
My problem with paganism is it attributes divinity to our natural world as if the depth of existence is constrained to earth.
Not true. Druids do not believe in anything being divine. Divinity is a man-made concept. The Druids do not worship anything. We give reverance to Mother Earth and to the Universe. Also understand, that while Druids do view the Universe as being alive, we do not view it as having conscious thought.

With regard to having an "insignificant population," that's the way we like it. Druids have no desire to become "significant." We have no designs on world domination. We have no desire to convert anyone. We do not ram our traditions down anyone's throat, nor do we threaten anyone with eternal damnation. The same can't be said of the god of Abraham.

Last edited by PBOldTimer : 08-16-2012 at 11:32 AM.
PBOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 PM #88
Iamamartianchurch

Language is man made. The word divinity is an attempt to describe a metaphysical reality which is not man made, and of paramount importance to man.

From your perspective, why is it more desireable to worship the material and causal universe as opposed to that which gives it being?
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:29 PM #89
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Language is man made. The word divinity is an attempt to describe a metaphysical reality which is not man made, and of paramount importance to man.
The word "divine" implies holiness. The Druids do not view anything as being holy. We make a distinction between "divine" and "metaphysical." The Druids use the term "metaphysical" when talking of things that are beyond this plane of existance. We use the word "paranormal" to describe things that are beyond our current understanding of what "normal" is. But we most certainly never use the word "divine."

Quote:
From your perspective, why is it more desireable to worship the material and causal universe as opposed to that which gives it being?
Again, Druids don't worship anything. Therefore, I'm not sure how to answer your question.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:31 PM #90
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOldTimer View Post
The word "divine" implies holiness. The Druids do not view anything as being holy. We make a distinction between "divine" and "metaphysical." The Druids use the term "metaphysical" when talking of things that are beyond this plane of existance. We use the word "paranormal" to describe things that are beyond our current understanding of what "normal" is. But we most certainly never use the word "divine."
So druidism is a big game of mis-defining and semantics?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:22 PM #91
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:

Again, Druids don't worship anything. Therefore, I'm not sure how to answer your question.
With respects to the second portion I meant to type reverence but in my haste I typed worship.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:15 PM #92
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
So druidism is a big game of mis-defining and semantics?
Not at all, I'm simply stating that Druids do not worship anything. And I didn't misdefine nor define anything. I stated how Druids use these terms. I never said that everyone uses these terms in the way Druids do.

Quote:
With respects to the second portion I meant to type reverence but in my haste I typed worship.
With that being said, what do you mean when you say: "...as opposed to that which gives it being." For now I'll assume that you are referring to some sort of supreme being. The Druids believe that the Universe has no beginning, and has no end. The Universe is beyond time. It was never created, it simply always was. If this is not what you were referring to, then I apologize for the asumption, in which case, I'll need clarification.

Last edited by PBOldTimer : 08-20-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:45 AM #93
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Not at all, I'm simply stating that Druids do not worship anything. And I didn't misdefine nor define anything. I stated how Druids use these terms. I never said that everyone uses these terms in the way Druids do.

With that being said, what do you mean when you say: "...as opposed to that which gives it being." For now I'll assume that you are referring to some sort of supreme being. The Druids believe that the Universe has no beginning, and has no end. The Universe is beyond time. It was never created, it simply always was. If this is not what you were referring to, then I apologize for the asumption, in which case, I'll need clarification.
No I'm not talking about a being. I'm not entirely sure how much more I can clarify that statement without getting into the different conceptions of it.

What exactly is the purpose of your faith?

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 08-21-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:45 PM #94
The Abstract
Reject Diversity

So Druids reject science (The Big Bang)?

From what he's saying it seems to be to give reverence to conscienceless inanimate objects simply because we live on/around them.

Last edited by The Abstract : 08-21-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:11 PM #95
Iamamartianchurch

Don't make science out to be so absolute. At the very core of any system of knowledge are principles which must be independent of the knowledge itself, the acceptance of said principles is a matter of faith, a matter of the metaphysical.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM #96
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
I don't think "faith" is the most appropriate word. "Value" works much better.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:34 PM #97
The Abstract
Reject Diversity

I agree Martian, but that doesn't mean you can deny what is already been essentially proven. If you have a belief system that claims the universe simply was in existence forever, but science almost wholly leans towards a Big Bang, than there's either a problem with the belief system or with the theory. OldTimer's beliefs actually has nothing to do with the metaphysical, since we actually have the ability to study and understand our universe.

Last edited by The Abstract : 08-21-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:00 PM #98
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
No faith is the perfect word. Value is attributed to the system itself and the knowledge resulting from or contained therein.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:07 PM #99
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
I agree Martian, but that doesn't mean you can deny what is already been essentially proven. If you have a belief system that claims the universe simply was in existence forever, but science almost wholly leans towards a Big Bang, than there's either a problem with the belief system or with the theory. OldTimer's beliefs actually has nothing to do with the metaphysical, since we actually have the ability to study and understand our universe.
I'm saying you have every right to deny things proven by any system of knowledge. There are no facts, only interpretations. Don't mistake that for relativism. We probe life and it responds according to the probe.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 08-21-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:47 PM #100
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
No faith is the perfect word. Value is attributed to the system itself and the knowledge resulting from or contained therein.
I see faith as belief in something with no backing to show proof or logical conclusion to be used for that belief. It's hard to say one has faith in scientific findings after acknowledging the recreation of certain experiments over and over again, achieving the same result.

I wouldn't say we have faith in gravity. I wouldn't say we have faith in the studies of gravity. I would, however, say we value the studies of gravity because it has yielded repeated results and no results to show outside of our understanding.

I suppose I should ask you to define the two terms and how you see them as different.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 08-21-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:36 PM #101
Iamamartianchurch

Treghc you didn't understand my original statement.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:12 PM #102
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

Quote:
What exactly is the purpose of your faith?
To ascend. There will come a time when my body will expire. Ascension is the process in which a person can keep their consciousness beyond death, and exist as an energy-based being on a higher plane of existance. Without ascension, your consciousness simply expires along with your body.

Quote:
So Druids reject science (The Big Bang)?

From what he's saying it seems to be to give reverence to conscienceless inanimate objects simply because we live on/around them.
Not at all. The Druids accept the Big Bang, but we also accept the Big Crunch. The Druids believe that the Universe has been expanding and collapsing on itself infinitely. The Big Bang is viewed as sort of a re-birth.

As for the 2nd part of your post, the Druids view the Earth itself as being alive. There's no arguing that we are all children of the Earth - it is our lifegiver, and is deserving of our reverence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
I agree with you - "value" works much better than "faith."
Old 08-22-2012, 08:09 PM #103
The Abstract
Reject Diversity

Quote:
Not at all. The Druids accept the Big Bang, but we also accept the Big Crunch.
Quote:
The Druids believe that the Universe has no beginning, and has no end
??

Quote:
As for the 2nd part of your post, the Druids view the Earth itself as being alive. There's no arguing that we are all children of the Earth - it is our lifegiver, and is deserving of our reverence.
But the earth isn't alive if you define alive as something having cells/consciousness/eats food/etc...the earth is simply deposits of stone, dirt, clay, and ice, surrounded by water.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 PM #104
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

Quote:
But the earth isn't alive if you define alive as something having cells/consciousness/eats food/etc...the earth is simply deposits of stone, dirt, clay, and ice, surrounded by water.
That's a pretty poor definition of life, even by scientific standards. Not everything that is alive has consciousness. Not everything that is alive eats food.

You are correct that the Earth is a collection of stone, dirt, clay, etc., and none of these things individually are considered to be alive in any traditional sense, but they have come together and are the components of a living being - the Earth.

Think of it this way: you are a collection of hair, water, various chemicals, etc. Individually, none of these things are a human being. But they have come together and are the components of us all - and we are all very much alive.

As for your apparent confusion on the Big Bang and the Big Crunch, yet believeing there is no beginning nor end for the Universe... think of the Big Bang and the Big Crunch as a continuous never-ending circle.

Last edited by PBOldTimer : 08-22-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:02 AM #105
<3applesAndoranges<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesport001 View Post
Go on Facebook and search "the christian left"
this is a good point we must always remeber to do research before making statements
<3applesAndoranges<3 is offline   Reply With Quote