Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-08-2012, 01:09 AM #1
N2extreme1

Tank Hunter

Well I never gave much thought into being a Law or Demo guy until I built and manned my own tank. Now on the events where I dont bring my tank I find it just as much fun to hunt down the ones that are there. I look for their weak spots and can find them pretty fast. While everyone is running from the tanks I find myself looking for them so I can take them out. I have even managed to get tanks to surrender by just shooting paint at them. Putting streams through gun ports or covering the turret gunner. I can't be the only one who gets this thrill am I?
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2012, 10:12 AM #2
hardboy

even managed to get tanks to surrender ! lol YEA RIGHT!!!!!!!
The Black Korps
hardboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 AM #3
N2extreme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardboy View Post
even managed to get tanks to surrender ! lol YEA RIGHT!!!!!!!
I’m not sure why what I say is so doubtful? I assumed other players have taken out tanks without nerfs in the past but I guess Hardboy I am just a better player than I thought. Here is a little more info for you to help digest the events that took place. The event was War Games held at Hi Tec paintball in Bradenton Florida on the weekend of November 24th 2011. The tank in question was called Bowser Jr. They were at our base and had shot out our only LAW guy. I was shooting my Bonebrake Autococker with E2 board. I put 3 140 pods of paint on the driver and turret gunner. As I was reloading my 4th pod the driver opened his door and waved a white flag. When I exited the field I saw the turret gunner in the air line. He was covered in pink paint as though someone had thrown a gallon of paint on him. He stated that he wanted to surrender much sooner but the driver wouldn’t allow it. Here is a picture of the tank in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardboy View Post
You are probably right. My average ratio to kill a tank is usually five nerfs or shots. I like to engage at long distance. Getting lit up by tanks is not fun.

I also have to supply a tank and three other launchers in my team. They also use a lot of nerfs.
I guess for someone that averages 5 nerfs to eliminate a tank and only engages in long range shots, my story might be hard to swallow. Rest assure my story is true.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 PM #4
hardboy

Well thats a fantastic story. Here is a my armored personel carrier that the 1 SS PANZER KORPS uses at ION SKIRMISH in Pennsylvania. You can see the amount of paint that this vehicle has sustained.

No way in HELL is one crunchie going to make us surrender, THATS FOR SURE!!!
The Black Korps
hardboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:12 AM #5
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

Tank Surrender

I surrendered once in a game when numerous smoke grenades were thrown at my tank. The smoke was so thick I/we the crew could barely see anything. Plus we were choking from the smoke fumes. I was able to see many players moving up on my tank and was unable to shoot at them. For some reason I thought maybe some of these players when they got close may try to storm and enter my tank. So I yelled at our tank ref that we were out and he stopped the attack on the tank. To me it was a safety issue for me and my crew not being able to defend ourselves lack of vision from being blinded. Its not a good thing being in a tank and cannot see where you are going or whats happening around it.

Treaddz
Team CroMagnum Armor
Cromagnum Tankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 AM #6
fbkboe

I barrel tagged a tank once. I know I shouldn't have been that close, but I was caught up in the moment!
fbkboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:23 AM #7
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Been on both sides. Tanks had pull offs to be stationary in designated areas around objectives to help take and defend. Grunts could use it for cover in there. Heavy cover on the brush side and I had no shot with my RPG. Crawled through the brush next to the tank and was inside the turret gunners cone of fire where he could not shoot down on me. Knocked on the drivers window and asked for a surrender because I didn't want to break a Nerf shooting him point blank. I got it.. Should have made me take the shot because it would kill me too.... I RPG'd a couple of defending bunkers and our guys got up closer to taking the objective. Was a hoot.

At Sherwood, I was in my walking tank in support of a mission in progress to "assault the enemy HQ". We had just had a huge firefight over a mid field objective and 90% of both teams were in the insertion area. So I waddled down towards their HQ just to be one HUGE distraction and give our squad a chance to complete the mission where ever they were.... Had to stay 50 yards away from HQ with the tank and they had a tape line to mark it. I assumed I would not have a shot at the HQ because it was a heavily wooded area. Well, I ran right into a couple hundred player that opened up on my legs and family jewels which were well protected. I started blasting away with my marker and made a few of them run for cover while the rest just poured hundred of rounds onto my legs from close range. It LOOKED like I might have a shot at the HQ so I went for it. Walked right into the middle of them to get into position. Now I was getting incoming from 360 degrees. I fired on the base with my marker and sure enough a tree branch was blocking my paint. Shooting over the branch shot over the HQ. Shoot under it, they fall short. Meanwhile, I was in a world of hurt. Decided to try and lob a Nerf over the branch and sure enough round three hit the HQ and destroyed it. That pretty much counts as an assault... I was screaming for the ref to confirme the HQ was destroyed. They don't alway see the Nerf hit. Kept on pumping Nerfs onto the HQ until FINNALLY the ref called it destroyed. All that time I was being pummeled with hundreds of paintballs.

Mission complete and a nanosecond later I had both hands sticking up out of the top of the walker screaming I surrendered.... A few seconds later those sharp pains from getting hit by paintballs faded away and the REAL pain of all those welts started soaking into my brain. A record day for collecting welts.... A record I don't want to break....

Then WHUMP! The RPG guy who was too little, too late..... decided to blast me anyway. Guress he wanted the LAST WORD.

We got the mission points but they didn't care.... They were all cheering and high 5-ing each other for getting a tank to surrender to a bunch of grunts...

YES, a spray bottle and lots of water is standard equipment for the guys inside a tank so they can SEE where they are driving and shooting.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 05-19-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:27 AM #8
JESTERTLS

I started out doing a little AT work. Wasnt that great at it. But I was like the only one that had a launcher at that time. I was too outta shape to do AT. You gotta be able to go after them and I decided I would enjoy driving one more then chasing one.
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:01 PM #9
Big_joe

In the games I play at shooting the driver is strickly forbiddon and can and will get you ejected from the game. I dont know why you would be shooting at the driver for one the driver cant return fire to defend himself also more to the point it is a serious saftey issue. Its not cool impairing the drivers vision as to where it could be possiable for the tank to run a player over. You should really think things through a little more before you go all rambo on a tank driver. I'm just saying.

Last edited by Big_joe : 05-22-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Big_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:36 PM #10
N2extreme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_joe View Post
In the games I play at shooting the driver is strickly forbiddon and can and will get you ejected from the game. I dont why you would be shooting at the driver for one the driver cant return fire to defend himself also more to the point it is a serious saftey issue. Its not cool impairing the drivers vision as to where it could be possiable for the tank to run a player over. You should really think things through a little more before you go all rambo on a tank driver. I'm just saying.
The tank was stationary at the time. Also there is a 20ft rule and the tank has to go at walking speed. It is the drivers responsibilty to make sure he can see at all times. And the driver was shooting as well.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM #11
Clone 2

the tanks.. always a game changer
Clone 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:51 PM #12
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Tanks surrender? lol not under my command! heres why you should never surrender in a tank

one it makes you a ***** Two you could miss out on some epic action. one game we broke down at skirmish in front of tippmann castle. fired at the enemy till we were totally out of paintballs. soon the enemy started just advancing right past us. so what do we do? surrender? Hell no we asked them to borrow paint. one guy gave us a pod of paint to help us"fight for mother russia" (We are Uniformed German Panzercrewmen in a tank painted like a German tank destroyer). We then proceeded to shot the generous communist and his buddies. we did this over and over 5 times. Im telling you the two of us laughed so hard we could hardly see through the tears.Never surrender in a tank!

1.SS Panzer Korps
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:54 PM #13
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

also N2e i dont see why you are busting his balls for taking long range shots . Isnt it a bit smarter to pick off your enemy before he gets close? 20 yard tank kills dont take alot of skill. nothing better than taking our an enemty tank that hasnt even seen you yet

1.SS Panzer Korps
Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 PM #14
N2extreme1

At nerfs being harder to find and more expensive I prefer to take out a tank on the first shot. It might be easier to hit a tank at closer range but you also have to stay alive from ground pounders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngelSS View Post
also N2e i dont see why you are busting his balls for taking long range shots . Isnt it a bit smarter to pick off your enemy before he gets close? 20 yard tank kills dont take alot of skill. nothing better than taking our an enemty tank that hasnt even seen you yet
Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 AM #15
CNCRouterman

Last time I spoke with my vendor, he said that Nerf Mini's were coming back under a new SKU and underwent a bit of re-branding, supposed to be same product, just a different name/packaging, and probably a little different marketing.

Sitting on around 100 or so that I have yet to shoot, couple dozen still in the box they shipped in. I can buy them wholesale, for resale, but the shipping and other hoops make it hardly worth my while to try to market them. When you can find them on the shelf for around 3.50 to 4.00 each, get them. I need to sell about 100 at a time to sell at that price, and the shipping ends up pushing the price to around the 4 or a bit over mark, and that is with a rather slim final profit margin. The price I pay each seems like a great deal, but after S&H, and small qtys, $3.50 is not a bad deal at all. Since I cannot "drop ship" I get to pay shipping to me, then to the customer, hence the slim margins to keep the price down. At $5.00 each, heck, I can justify the double shipping. The other major annoyance, is that my vendor's "on the shelf" inventory levels are spotty at best, and when he's out, it is 4 to 8 weeks wait for the next slow boat from China to show up.

TWA 2341: "Center, we are at 35,000 feet. How much noise can we make up here?"

Tower: "Sir, have you ever heard the noise a 747 makes when it hits a 727?"
CNCRouterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 PM #16
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

there is no shortage on nerfs. getting so close that you are assured of a first shot hit is also going to make you an easy target.but i know what you mean at 3 bucks plus a pop no one wants to take any more shots than they have too

1.SS Panzer Korps
Old 05-24-2012, 03:34 PM #17
Old_Crow
Mad Scientist

Aero Flyers at Family Dollar

Our Family Dollar got in a load of the new Aero Flyers at $3 each (!!). Needless to say I picked up a few to start my foray into anti-tank weaponry with.

Question: I notice that they do not quite seal inside a 2" PVC pipe. Do you use any kind of wadding like paper towels or anything to create a better seal? Can a ring of electrical tape be used or does that mess up the friction/drag/aerodynamics?
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 PM #18
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Many moons ago, in an alternate paintball reality, when Nerfs were just being used, the tanks whined that the Nerf made it too easy to kill. So the game producer made us shoot nerfs at 2 foot square targets instead of the entire tank which is the rule at most games. We got close and made it count. Then the tanker whined some more..... Nerf's weren't fair.....

You don't have to......
Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 AM #19
CNCRouterman

Old Crow,
The fins typically drag a bit, and the bulb fits a little loose, but they shoot fine. Grabbing a random Nerf from my supply, I measure it to be approximately 1.96" to 1.97", and 2" PVC Schedule 40 has a nominal bore diameter 2.049" (Per industry standards)

If you want a better, more consistent seal, use a section of schedule 80 pipe for the barrel, it fits the bulb with a consistent interference fit. 2" PVC Sched 80 nominal bore diameter is 1.913". The noticeable (~5lbs) drag in the barrel is easily overcome by 1 to 2 psi of air pressure. That said, Sched 40 has been the main stay of Nerf cannons. Having not conducted anything resembling a controlled study, I cannot say whether the more consistent seal will produce a more consistent velocity for a given reservoir and valve combination.

TWA 2341: "Center, we are at 35,000 feet. How much noise can we make up here?"

Tower: "Sir, have you ever heard the noise a 747 makes when it hits a 727?"
CNCRouterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 PM #20
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Beware schedule 80 if you are using a sprinkler valve. They do not like tight bore fits. Very erratic velocity and distance, Honking during firing etc.

Just like paintballs, the nerf flattens front to back and gets FAT in the middle during acceleration down the barrel. They acutually do seal quite well. Even used schedule 20 for my muzzle loaders with trimmed fins to avoid having to have a pushrod to shove it down into the breech. Trim the fins, drop it in, you hear a thunk and you are ready to fire. Schedule 20 is a good mortar Nerf barrel for that same reason.

You don't have to......