Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-07-2012, 01:24 PM #1
Cookybiscuit

Dye Titanium barrels

I was interested in getting one of these for the pretty fireworks show, but after asking some sellers they said they'd never even seen it spark.

Anyone know if its like a barrel to barrel type thing where some just don't do it, or if they all do it and it just needs the proper conditions?

Thanks.
Cookybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2012, 01:35 PM #2
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Are you Cookybiscuit from Tech PB?

If so, seems a little strange you'd be on PBN, and asking about AFTERMARKET BARRELS no less!

What would Mike & the rest of the "Accuracy Wolves" () think of this?? *gasp* TEH HORROR!!11!!
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:38 PM #3
Cookybiscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
Are you Cookybiscuit from Tech PB?

If so, seems a little strange you'd be on PBN, and asking about AFTERMARKET BARRELS no less!

What would Mike & the rest of the "Accuracy Wolves" () think of this?? *gasp* TEH HORROR!!11!!
Yep

PBN has dedicated sections, I use it a bit for asking about specific guns and things.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:43 PM #4
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

It's nice to ask about an aftermarket upgrade and not get crucified for it, eh?

Last edited by SNAKESNIPER : 05-07-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:04 PM #5
Cookybiscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
It's nice to ask about an aftermarket upgrade and not get crucified for it, eh?
The gun its for has no barrel, the context has changed, if on ****** someone had a barrelless gun it wouldn't be "NO BARREL!" it would be "WHATS YOUR PRICE RANGE!!!11!!1!?"
Old 05-07-2012, 02:06 PM #6
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

LOL no it wouldn't, it would be "USE THE STOCK ONE!!!111!!". Barrel or not, that would be the answer lol

but anyway.... If you were trying to get a sparking effect from a titanium barrel, you'd have to have something abrasive scraping the Ti hard enough to cause enough friction to make sparks. I don't think a paintball would do that.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 PM #7
Heaton
Rain likes to raep.

Heaton is playing at Living Legends VI
Heaton owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Heaton supports Team VICIOUS
Heaton supports Sherwood Forest
Heaton supports DLX Technology
Just make sure to pour a pod of sand into your hopper after you load it and you'll have your "firework show."
Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:53 PM #8
Cookybiscuit

Is the only time it sparks when its dirty?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:22 PM #9
Heaton
Rain likes to raep.

Heaton is playing at Living Legends VI
Heaton owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Heaton supports Team VICIOUS
Heaton supports Sherwood Forest
Heaton supports DLX Technology
No, dye specifically manufactured their barrel to have a sparkler effect when you shoot with it. That's the only reason why it's so expensive.
Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:08 PM #10
serafin_X
the Lumberjack

serafin_X is playing at Living Legends VII
serafin_X is an NCPA player
serafin_X supports DLX Technology
Shoot it on a gun with a metal (aluminum) bolt. Like a matrix or shocker stock bolt. The metal on metal contact causes it to spark. My friend's PM6 worked great for this. An Ego's plastic or composite bolt would not spark for instance.

I'd like one someday for the novelty but they aren't work the price considering how small paint is right now and the Ti was only made in a few larger bores (I shoot an autococker mostly so I underbore to prevent roll outs).
serafin_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:25 PM #11
Paint_hore
PBN=SUA syndrome

Annual Supporting Member
Paint_hore is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by serafin_X View Post
Shoot it on a gun with a metal (aluminum) bolt. Like a matrix or shocker stock bolt. The metal on metal contact causes it to spark. My friend's PM6 worked great for this. An Ego's plastic or composite bolt would not spark for instance.

I'd like one someday for the novelty but they aren't work the price considering how small paint is right now and the Ti was only made in a few larger bores (I shoot an autococker mostly so I underbore to prevent roll outs).

Bolt has nothing to do with it.

Its all about the dirt in the barrel/paint.

Rediscover: "its good to see you didnt take any flying metal objects to your juggular." 13pbstar13: "I dont have tits bro" (true story)
Paint_hore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 PM #12
Cookybiscuit

The barrel would be going on a Timmy, so the bolt is plastic. Will it ever spark? Is there anything I can do short of pouring sand in my pods to make it do so?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 PM #13
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookybiscuit View Post
The barrel would be going on a Timmy, so the bolt is plastic. Will it ever spark? Is there anything I can do short of pouring sand in my pods to make it do so?
Get an aluminum bolt?

Otherwise it's not going to spark. And that's a good thing because sparking implies something is scratching up the inside of your barrel.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:56 PM #14
Cookybiscuit

Only reason I want one is for the sparks, don't really care about the barrel getting damaged since my field is FPO and the paint is dog****, a few scratches in my barrel isn't going to matter.

The Timmy is a Species, so getting an aluminium bolt for it could be tricky. Still, I wouldn't have thought the bolt material would matter, seeing as the bolt doesn't go into the barrel.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:09 PM #15
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
Paint used to spark in titanium barrels when paint manufactures came up with the "starch" shelled paint. I.E. the paint was dry on the outside of the shell and not oily like most paint is.

Draxxus paint might still cause sparking in the barrels because they take the paint and dry it off with some kind of cotton fiber or something prior to bagging it up. Kee however takes the paint straight off the line and bags it immediately, thus it has slightly more oil on the shells.

Nowadays the sparks are caused by small amounts of sand that seem to make their way into your gear. I wouldn't really advise trying to add sand to your stuff for the sole purpose of sparks.. As it will cause some serious wear to your gun.. but I wouldn't worry about a titanium barrel scratching super easy from dirty paint.

The bolt won't make a difference in "sparking" if you've got a sparking problem from an aluminum bolt striking a titanium barrel.. You've got some serious gun problems..

If you really want fireworks try to find the Tippmann Propane Pump-gun. It runs off little camping propane tanks. Fire can be seen from the barrel when you shoot, and at night its pretty wild looking. However the smell of propane gets pretty strong as you continue to shoot it. But you get like 10,000+ shots per propane tank with it. Pretty neat little gun that's no longer produced.

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:32 PM #16
bryanzero858

Annual Supporting Member
i was playing NPPL hb with my Ti barrel and it sparked when i was chronoing and freaked the ref out. be sure you use sand and not dirt. a dab will do. And honestly the Ti is the best dye barrel ever made, accuracy of a ss but way lighter. Dye has them for sale in .688 i believe.
858 536 5183 call for availibility and price.
bryanzero858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:45 PM #17
patrioticpb
SL94 Owner

patrioticpb owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
patrioticpb owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
patrioticpb supports Team VICIOUS
I've had sparks on my old Angel LCD shooting a Ti Boomstick. Its caused by the friction created between dirt (ie: sand) and the metal while a ball is passing through it. Angels used Delrin bolts, so bolts don't really have anything to do with it, however a metal bolt will increase the odds of a spark happening.
from www.lasermygun.com CS Paintball
patrioticpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:04 PM #18
Cookybiscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japy View Post
If you really want fireworks try to find the Tippmann Propane Pump-gun. It runs off little camping propane tanks. Fire can be seen from the barrel when you shoot, and at night its pretty wild looking. However the smell of propane gets pretty strong as you continue to shoot it. But you get like 10,000+ shots per propane tank with it. Pretty neat little gun that's no longer produced.
Ya I have one lol, its loud as hell and flames eject from the vents in the side, amusing to say the least.

Thanks for the help everyone. The thing I'm worried about is dropping so much on this to never see any sparks, its going on a project gun that I have anno plans for, so thats a complication already since it cant be anno'd, I was planning on getting it silver and another colour anyway but my worry is the anno company not being able to match the shades, and its stupid expensive to buy in the first place.

I live in England, no dusty fields really, I play only play woodsball and its usually pretty muddy, I don't really take the time to clean my barrel in-between games, can I expect sparks?

I've heard some people say that some days they've used it and gotten near every 5th shot a spark, and some people say they've been using it ages and never seen it do so. Worst comes to worst, at-least I've got a heavy barrel, I'm not one for lightening guns, every oz added means less barrel rise.

I suppose... if it doesn't work a bit of sand in my loader wont damage it that much
Old 05-09-2012, 02:00 PM #19
delnmelb

first used it with my BRAND NEW C&C LCD back in the day and still sparked...
they are hard to come by these days but I still have mine
delnmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:26 PM #20
Cookybiscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by delnmelb View Post
first used it with my BRAND NEW C&C LCD back in the day and still sparked...
they are hard to come by these days but I still have mine
What conditions do you use yours in to get sparks? Like is your field dusty or no?