Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-06-2012, 03:43 PM #1
Fedo
Who Has More Fun?

Fedo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fedo is an NCPA player
Fedo plays in the APPA D5 division
"I want to play paintball." A Game That is More Than Just Gear.

Hello fellow ballers, and ballers to be. I wanted to make this thread to state a few misconceptions of our sport and pitch thoughts that give a clearer look at our sport. I am going to tackle one of the biggest misconceptions of our sport mainly, gear.

GEAR

When it comes to our sport, product is necessary to play. You can not shoot paint-balls without a gun. You can not enter a field without a mask.

Luckily, nearly every field one will play at will have rental gear that allows you to enjoy the sport. It may not be the fastest, or the most advance, but it will get you on the field and enjoying what you want to enjoy.

It is typical that once a person begins to crave the sport and seek to become a bigger part of the sport, the first desire they have is to get a gun. Though this is natural, it is not the brightest first choice. Many of times this desire results in hasty choices in buying a gun that is not suited for them, or will alter become a dust collector. Impulse surrounds our sport, it is normal. Before you jump into buying gear head first there are other factors.

1. Gear Hierarchy:
There is already a great thread on this in the New Player Help section. I do suggest reading it, but I am going to tap the fine points.

There is gear that is more important then a gun. Running our to buy a gun will actually result in you having to purchase more gear at the same time to operate it. There is a flow that is much more rewarding for a recreational player who wants to begin wading into the sport.

The general thought is a to follow a flow like this:
First item to buy:

1. Mask
2. Hopper
3. Tank
4. Gun
5. Player gear (pants, pod pack, jersey, elbow or knee pads)

Note: Some players have talked about going for knee pads and pants before you get yourself a gun. This is a notable idea and can be more personal preference. Knee pads are very helpful since in games like Speedball you will be sliding and be on your knees. Pants also are helpful because they protect the unmentionables with a built in padding, and they are made to endure for the sport. This can be a personal choice to go for pants and knee pads before a gun. The benefits are great to either way.

Some will put player gear over the gun still. The reason why the gun comes last is because all the other gear before can be used with a rental and alone. Your tank will fit a rental gun, most likely your hopper will as well. These are pieces you will HAVE to buy if you buy a gun.

The reason why a Mask is first is because this is your most important piece of gear. It is your safety and effects your play in many ways. Your mask will define your vision, your comfort, and your safety. Whenever I am asked what I would suggest in this situation, I always tell a new player to feel free to splurge on a mask. Getting a comfortable, functional, well fitted and safe mask is priority over everything else in this game. If you are not safe, then you will not be having fun when you get injured.

Mask requirements should be:

1. Good shape, no rips, tears, holes.
2. Thermal lens.
(I suggest thermal, it will withhold fogging and issues as such.
3. Well fitted, good strap.
4. Covers your face well and fits your dome.
5. Comfort. You should be comfortable in this mask for longer periods of time. You will sweat in it, be talking, and be shot in it from time to time.

Next on the list is hopper, and tank.

These are items that you can put on any rental gun. You would have to buy these anyways, and by starting with them you will be saving yourself a stressful buy later on. Find a hopper you like, that is good for the future, same with a tank. Learn what your comforts are.

Finally, the gun. Do not jump into the first fancy gun you read. Do some research. Learn the difference between a Spool Valve, a FARSA, and a Poppit. Take the time to ask around about a gun, and read reviews on pbnation and other sites. Go to your local field and talk to other players who have been in the sport for awhile. Your field owner will be a good source of knowledge for this most likely as well. Ask to try a someone's gun for a game, or just to shoot a bit over the chrono.

Be sure you know what you are looking for and do your research, It is not worth buying a gun that you will want to get rid of or change in less then a year.

2. Passing gear.

As much as gear plays a factor in our sport, there is a bigger factor to a player. That is skill.

Learning the basics of the sport will get your further than any gun will ever get you. Do not think that once you have bought that Ego11, or Shocker that you will be the next Ollie Lang. The sport is about skill, and decision making. You can learn these over time, and this comes with patience.

Depending on your style of play, there will be a different skill-set. Do not be afraid to get out of your comfort zone to learn. If you are interested in woodsball/scenario play then go for it. Ask guys that seem to be playing this style the most. Many players in this sport will give you great pointers and really want to teach you. Players who want to see this sport grow know that you, the new player, are the future for the sport.

If you are looking at speedball/hyperball/x-ball, you can do the same. Ask regular players about the sport and watch and learn. DO not be afraid to put yourself out there and get shot once in awhile. So you do not win, whatever. IF you leave the field for the day learning something new, then you won already.

To clarify a common misunderstanding of the sport, Tournament paintball is a different monster the recreational. If you truly want to get into tournament play, you will need to understand that:

1. Money is a limiting factor.

Tournament play costs a lot for both players and fields. Paint is pricey, gear becomes a aspect, and fields will have to charge to stay up to date.

2. Rules change.

Tournament requires a knowledge base of the game. Depending on series and field.

3. Passion can promote Temper.

I understand that there are many horror stories of players cursing, cheating, and raging on field. This is a fact of sports, and comes out in our sport as well. Adrenaline runs high in our sport. There is no questioning this. This is not a huge percent of our sport and those who are serious about paintball understand that this kind of behavior is unbecoming and harmful. The best way to deal with this is to move past it, ignore it, and be an example of a better player with good sportsmanship.

3. Tips to really help.

What to take away from reading this is to not be afraid to seek help. A player is not defined by his gear, but his skill and his sportsmanship. Do not get hung up over what you have to use.

Get uncomfortable. You learn more by trying.

Do not hesitate. This is will help a ton in many ways.

In following posts, feel free to ask questions that I can add to this blurb. Experienced players, feel free to throw in your input and I can quote you in. We are all here to grow the sport. That is our goal!

Windy City Punishers

Like us on Faceboook: Illinois State Redbirds Paintball

Last edited by Fedo : 05-07-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Fedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2012, 03:43 PM #2
Fedo
Who Has More Fun?

Fedo is an NCPA player

more stuffs coming

Windy City Punishers

Last edited by FallNAngel : 05-08-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:43 PM #3
Fedo
Who Has More Fun?

Fedo is an NCPA player

moar!!

Windy City Punishers

Last edited by FallNAngel : 05-08-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:13 PM #4
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Good thread
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:15 PM #5
Fedo
Who Has More Fun?

Fedo is an NCPA player
Thank you. I felt the need to attempt a clarification. There are a lot of misconceptions of what you need.

Windy City Punishers

Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 PM #6
Headshotted
www.icd-owners.com

Headshotted has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Not to undermine what you've done, but Yelosno has a stickied thread that is similar in every aspect, you may want to get with him about making some edits and addendum. Check it out. http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3655911
Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 PM #7
Fedo
Who Has More Fun?

Fedo is an NCPA player
I was wanting to make this thread above the "gear Needs" and give more of the factual information and misunderstandings that new players come to. Gear is one of those big things. As I read more in the New Player Thread I am going to add to the original post. I will add sections to clear up commonly asked questions and add advice for the new player to get a better understanding of the sport.

Windy City Punishers

Old 05-06-2012, 10:05 PM #8
king05
child please

king05 plays in the PSP
king05 supports Team VICIOUS
king05 plays in the APPA D4 division
Great thread. This is the same advice I always give people considering trying paintball.
king05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:52 AM #9
TheUrbanGent
d-.-b

Annual Supporting Member
Awesome thread. Goes very in depth. Hopefully people read this though and aren't turned away by the length...
Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 AM #10
HaWtDog123
Sundays

HaWtDog123 supports Team VICIOUS
HaWtDog123 supports Team VICIOUS
HaWtDog123 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Awesome thread. Very very informative. Kudos
HaWtDog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:01 AM #11
evilbunnycookies
U of Akron

evilbunnycookies is an NCPA player
evilbunnycookies plays in the APPA D5 division
evilbunnycookies has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
evilbunnycookies has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bravo good sir. And depending on playing style I would get armpads and elbow pads before the hopper. The pants and jersey can wait but my arms and knees would be destroyed if I didn't have the pads.

DM8 with a tadao oled board, ironman adjustable trigger, billy wing bolt and a cp continuous flow plug
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3778711
deadly winds freak carbon fiber barrel, Rotor, 68-45 Ninja tank
PayPal certified

University of Akron Paintball Club -- Treasurer
evilbunnycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 AM #12
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedo View Post

1. Mask
2. Gun
3. Hopper
4. Tank
5. Knee pads
6. Other Player gear (pants, pod pack, jersey, elbow or knee pads)
Fixed
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:39 PM #13
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
^ his order was better. good gear>good gun. why have a 1000 dollar gun, but have a steelie 3k tank and a half broken halo to use with it?

1. mask
2. hopper or tank (i say tank, but if you buy a nicer hopper first its not going to be the end of the world)
3. the other of #2
4. pod pack
5. gun
note: youll prbly wind up getting the hopper pack and gun at the same time anyway
6. knee pads/very padded pair of pants (both at once is your best bet, but knee pads over the pants)
7. jersey, eblow pads, other misc. gear

the reason why i strayed off your suggestion is
A) why have a nice gun with no pods to bring out to shoot? 200 in a speedball game is pretty hard
B) i put the pants up there equal(ish) to the knee pads because a very nice pair of paintball pants like dye will be almost as good as knee pads
Old 05-07-2012, 06:14 PM #14
Fedo
Who Has More Fun?

Fedo is an NCPA player
When it comes down to it, it can be argued either way. I will add a note that it can turn to personal preference to the list. Thank you for your thoughts guys.

I hope this thread does not get buried.

Windy City Punishers

Last edited by Fedo : 05-07-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:17 PM #15
azhector

gun shouldnt be put before tank and hopper...
Old 05-07-2012, 06:19 PM #16
Fedo
Who Has More Fun?

Fedo is an NCPA player
I agree with that, and it seems to be the general idea that gun shouldn't be first. I am keeping my list the same as before. If you can make a good point against my claim, I would love to hear it.

This thread is to help the new player, so let's not confuse them with too much back and forth. They should not be under informed either.

Windy City Punishers

Old 05-07-2012, 06:21 PM #17
azhector

you should add a section suggesting against the people who have played 3 times and want to hop on a team, explain why and everything; thats another big thing when you start going into talking about the field rules and really just an overall tip
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 PM #18
Fedo
Who Has More Fun?

Fedo is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhector View Post
you should add a section suggesting against the people who have played 3 times and want to hop on a team, explain why and everything; thats another big thing when you start going into talking about the field rules and really just an overall tip
Will do. Thank you. I will edit that in tonight.

Windy City Punishers

Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 PM #19
Fedo
Who Has More Fun?

Fedo is an NCPA player
Double Post to Alert a Mod.

I made the stupid mistake of not reserving a post under this one for an added section. I attempted to type in an additional section and was blocked by teh character limit.... I lost the entire edit as well (It was a good 10k character addition.)

I am appealing to a mod to fix this for me and I will add in the new section in a day or two.

Windy City Punishers

Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 AM #20
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhector View Post
^ his order was better. good gear>good gun. why have a 1000 dollar gun, but have a steelie 3k tank and a half broken halo to use with it?
because halos are beastly and an aluminum tank is just fine. Id rather have a high end with a $30 Aluminum tank and halo B then spyder with a rotor and carbon fiber tank. IE maximize your firepower with any given budget.

Last edited by JC001 : 05-08-2012 at 07:56 AM.
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 AM #21
CreesquePaintball
That Stupid Pendejo

CreesquePaintball is playing at Living Legends V
CreesquePaintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CreesquePaintball has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC001 View Post
because halos are beastly and an aluminum tank is just fine. Id rather have a high end with a $30 Aluminum tank and halo B then spyder with a rotor and carbon fiber tank. IE maximize your firepower with any given budget.
I'm pretty sure a broken halo wouldn't be "beastly". Why spend more money than you already have to by buying two separate tanks and two separate hoppers because you plan to upgrade in the future? Play with rentals for awhile, see if you like it, and then buy some genuine hoppers and tanks. Plus, chances are that if you can afford a $1000 marker, you can afford other high end stuff.

"Have a problem with Dangerous Power markers? Yeah, me too, so I fix them."
CreesquePaintball is offline   Reply With Quote