Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-26-2017, 11:37 PM #1
ry_goody

has been a member for 10 years
Spire 3 vs R2 vs Spire vs TFX

So previously I reviewed the TFX, R2 and Spire in this thread:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=5430898

I concluded that overall I preferred the R2 primarily due to less "pop corning". But the Spire 2 is probably the better general purpose hopper for most.

I must update that to say that the Spire 3 is better than all of them. Spire 3 is so good I think it is going make Dye do a fundamental redesign of the rotor. Like really, virtue just knocked it out of the park with the Spire 3.

The Spire 3 has as little pop corning as the R2, and feeds to the end of the hopper as well as the R2. The Spire 3 also now feeds as fast as the R2.

But the Spire 3 also gives you the crown SF. The R2 speed feed is utter **** in comparison to the Crown SF.

The Spire 3 also achieves all of this with way way fewer mechanical parts. The R2 has so many mechanical parts in it, gears, double layers of paddles. Whereas the Spire 3 is just a motor attached to the paddles directly, no gears, and all the magic of the spire 3 is in the software. The software very intelligently detects the rate and timing to move the paddles to feed it. You could almost say that the Spire 3 accomplishes digitally what the R2 does through analog means.

That one rotating paddle that connects directly to the motor is also attached via a magnet. So you can just reach in and pull it off to clean. Taking apart the R2 is a chore.

Aside from fewer mechanical parts being just a smarter design and easier to maintain. This also has two very real benefits. The Spire 3 is smaller, notably smaller. Before when it was R2 vs Spire2 size difference seemed negligible to me. But now the Spire 3 has enough of a size difference that the R2 actually feels unnecessarily bulky on my gun.

Since the spire 3 intelligently senses when to apply the motor and put pressure on the balls, this means that there is ultimately less pressure put on the ball stack. The R2 has a spring loaded feed so there is also a bit of tension of the ball stack. The R2 tension is light enough that I never had any real problems with it (unlike the TFX), but this is a point that can help. If you shoot very brittle paint less pressure on the stack does mean less likelihood of breakage.

Plus the spire 3 design is impossible to jam. My R2 never jammed, but I would certainly choose impossible to jam over unlikely to jam any day.

So overall. Spire 3 Feeds just as fast, popcorns the least, is the smallest, has the least pressure on the ball stack, is easiest to clean, has the best speedfeed.

Its a bit expensive right now but ya Virtue really did a great job on it and certainly deserves a good ROI on it. Whereas I think HKArmy kind of half-assed the TFX to just get to market quick. And I think Dye has been following a fundamentally incorrect engineering path on the direction the rotor is going. If Dye is smart I would think they would just scrap the rotor and try to copy the spire 3.
ry_goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2017, 02:16 PM #2
Syngraves923
Big Guy Little Bunker

Syngraves923 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Syngraves923 plays in the APPA D4 division
Syngraves923 supports Ninja Paintball
I love my Spire 3. This review says everything that needs to be said about this loader.

I will say, I did manage to "jam" my Spire 3. It was a freak series of events that caused it though. I say it jammed since during the point it would not feed anything into my gun.

What happened was when I over slid into a dorito bunker, I threw myself back behind the bunker. When I did this, my loader smacked the ground a little harder than I would have liked and a ball broke in the feedneck just past the point where the paddles push the balls. The ball broke at the seam of the shell and the shell hooked onto the paddle arm. When feeding the spire sensed the resistance from the broken ball and would not feed anymore.

Keep in mind this happened on a cold, wet New Jersey morning shooting less than quality field paint so the likelyhood of this happening in a tournament is slim to none.
Syngraves923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:30 PM #3
charlienop

charlienop owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
charlienop supports Ninja Paintball
Love my spire 3. I'm having problems connecting it to the app via bluetooth though. Anyone successfully connect theres?
charlienop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:56 AM #4
jtguy2269
PL gun collector

spire (original or 3) or prophecy z2 are my favorites
jtguy2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:46 AM #5
Syngraves923
Big Guy Little Bunker

Syngraves923 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Syngraves923 plays in the APPA D4 division
Syngraves923 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlienop View Post
Love my spire 3. I'm having problems connecting it to the app via bluetooth though. Anyone successfully connect theres?
Make sure your phones bluetooth is on before you open the app. I had an issue with the app turning on the bluetooth but not connecting. When you are in the programming settings click through until you are on the blue flickering light. Hold the bottom button until the light turns solid white then click update on the app.
Syngraves923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:49 PM #6
#1P8ntballer
wha da heo

#1P8ntballer is a Supporting Member
#1P8ntballer is a founding member
Agreed with thread! I have a 260 Houston Heat Spire FS if anyone interested.
#1P8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:26 AM #7
pbkid9330

Good info!
pbkid9330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:56 PM #8
DanielBeaver

Quote:
But the Spire 3 also gives you the crown SF. The R2 speed feed is utter **** in comparison to the Crown SF
Isn't there a Crown SF kit available for the Rotor? Would that change your opinion of the R2, or do you think that the Spire 3 is better overall regardless of the speed feed options?
DanielBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:14 PM #9
JordanPischke
Canadian Baller

Annual Supporting Member
JordanPischke owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
JordanPischke supports Ninja Paintball
JordanPischke supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBeaver View Post
Isn't there a Crown SF kit available for the Rotor? Would that change your opinion of the R2, or do you think that the Spire 3 is better overall regardless of the speed feed options?
Yes there is, I'm honestly just wishing they would offer a higher capacity spire 3. But I think I'll settle with an r2 with the crown speed feed.

Hmm or maybe I'll try a spire 260
Captain & Founder of E Town Beat Down

Last edited by JordanPischke : 03-15-2017 at 12:39 PM.
JordanPischke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:28 PM #10
chrismccall

chrismccall owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
chrismccall has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
chrismccall supports DLX Technology
chrismccall supports Ninja Paintball
Well. This review along with pbfriends video made my decision. Thanks. Spire 3 here I come.
chrismccall is offline   Reply With Quote