PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 05-01-2012, 10:23 PM #1
darkfox001

Official sanctioning body?

Just curious, but is there an official sanctioning body for paintball?

The reason I ask is that a lot of teams could use a little fund raising thru a raffle or something similar...but in order to qualify in most jurisdictions paintball would need a sanctioning body to establish certain minimal requirements....like Hockey Canada for example.
darkfox001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2012, 12:55 AM #2
Kaolinite
+-----------+

Paintball is recognized as entertainment in the eye of the government of Canada. They do not recognize paintball as a sport. Once the government recognize paintball as a sport funding will be available

Send your local MP a letter it can only help.

MISSION PAINTBALL CLUB
Kaolinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:23 PM #3
tomn8r

there is no sanctioning body in paintball because the major players are way too greedy. it is a complete and total mess. almost every sport in canada has their poo 2gether, but not paintball. any attempt i've seen has been quashed by promoters looking out after their own interests only.

in b.c we have elements of

ippl
ipl
vpl
bcpa
cppl

and, until this year, cxbl.

that's 6 different groups right there - just in b.c. If the same goes across canada, thats' probably 40+ organizations.

in most sports, you earn your way up through the system. but in canadian paintball, you can buy your pro spot. a amatuer in b.c. could go play rookie in any other league.
tomn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:53 PM #4
darkfox001

Thanks guys. That's my main concern here. The odd thing is that darts...that's right...darts...is considered a sport while paintball is not. Oddly though, it's that very problem that's holding back the sport...there's no desire to setup a players organization to oversee basic safety and play style definitions.

Unfortunately, all of the leagues won't do much as they are interested in making sure they're profitable (rightly so in my opinion) rather than creating a set of basic standards. I really don't think it has to do with greed, but more to do with focus. The major "players" are tourney series, manufacturers and stores...all of which would likely support a sanctioning body so long as they aren't imposing goofy rules on the sport.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 PM #5
_slash_1
gun fixer

has been a member for 10 years
_slash_1 plays in the USPL
_slash_1 plays in the PSP
_slash_1 posts videos on PbNation
In my area all you need to do host a raffle is to go down to city hall and ask for a permit. It costs around $40 you can get it over the internet/phone if you are lazy.

I've done one for a softball team, 3 for my paintball team, and seen them done for pretty much everything you could imagine. I highly doubt you need any form of national governing body, as this never prevented me.

Paintball will have a governing body when its ready... people have been playing darts since the 1800's. In contrast The idea of paintball as a serious competitive sport has been around for around a decade tops. A governing body also takes a lot of $ to run, so we need the player base before we can afford something like that.

I might be crazy as i work for the VPL, but as far as I know the only leagues operating in bc currently are the VPL and IPL. CPPL is hosting 1 event in conjunction with the IPL (triple crown) and one with VPL(brawl). The three leagues are all working together to setup a player point sharing system, and talk regularly on how to improve things for the players. Thats decently unified if you ask me. Our ultimate goal is improving paintball in anyway we can.

PLANET ECLIPSE / DYE / CP / VANGUARD / PROPHECY CERTIFIED TECH & BOB LONG ENTHUSIAST + i can fix anything that shoots
I may not be a professional player but i make a living playing paintball.
_slash_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 PM #6
darkfox001

In Sask, Alta, MB, and ON I know you need to qualify as a youth sport team to hold any raffle with a prize larger than $500. Each of those provinces will allow pretty much anyone to have a raffle with a prize of up to $500 for about $5. In Sask I know you can't make more than 12 times the prize value, so the most you could make is $5500 on a raffle and you can only have 2 of those a year.

Anyway, I'm glad those leagues are getting together. That would definately be a move in the right direction.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:07 AM #7
AxleBaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slash_1 View Post
In my area all you need to do host a raffle is to go down to city hall and ask for a permit. It costs around $40 you can get it over the internet/phone if you are lazy.

I've done one for a softball team, 3 for my paintball team, and seen them done for pretty much everything you could imagine. I highly doubt you need any form of national governing body, as this never prevented me.

Paintball will have a governing body when its ready... people have been playing darts since the 1800's. In contrast The idea of paintball as a serious competitive sport has been around for around a decade tops. A governing body also takes a lot of $ to run, so we need the player base before we can afford something like that.

I might be crazy as i work for the VPL, but as far as I know the only leagues operating in bc currently are the VPL and IPL. CPPL is hosting 1 event in conjunction with the IPL (triple crown) and one with VPL(brawl). The three leagues are all working together to setup a player point sharing system, and talk regularly on how to improve things for the players. Thats decently unified if you ask me. Our ultimate goal is improving paintball in anyway we can.

not sure if im just tossin a dart in a dark room here.

but i think i remember hearing something about the CPPL also sharing stats with some league in the east as well.. like... some atlantic league maybe. or maybe that was just talk. would be nice to have everyones stats readily available to help counter "sandbagging".
Impact Fan#118
AxleBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 PM #8
darkfox001

That would be one of those great things if there was a paintball players association in canada, they could keep track of stats and prevent any unsportsmanlike behavior...well...at least as far as stat sandbagging goes.
ReplyRegional Ups