Brad- Division owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball<3er View Post
i just wanna get your opinion on what do you think
makes a stream of paint more accurate the gun or
the barrel
I would say a little on the gun

and Mostly on the barrel...

The Gun, Depends if it is low/med/ or high pressure.

Imagine the paintball as a water balloon, the harder it is hit with a burst of air the more deformed it will become, if you have a high pressure gun with a bad regulator that will mean that your ball will be deformed differently each shot. A lot for a barrel to compensate for ! In turn if you use a low pressure gun with a good regulator the pop on the ball will be lower and more uniform.
Less that the barrel needs to compensate for.

With that being said a SMOOTH barrel is what you are looking for, a Quality barrel with a smooth bore is best, you can go with length of control bore and porting until the end of time but think of it this way. The first part of the barrel is to stabilize the ball and get it back to a normal shape, and the larger part of the barrel with porting goes another step further, while not coming into much contact with the ball it allows gas to escape in a uniform way to cut down on the turbulence and allow the ball to fly as straight as possible.

On to the paint, I feel it is just as important if not more so.

The paint with a good shell, CONSISTENT size is the most important. so usually the higher quality the paint the better. Everyone has their preference, few have shot every paint available... If you go to a BYOP field it opens it up a wide variety of choices and prices.

Hope this helps
Brad- Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:08 PM #6
paintball<3er

paintball<3er owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
paintball<3er is for the Gunfight
paintball<3er has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
good opinion!

BRING ME GEO+ FOR A REGAL EGO 8!!!
(\__/)
(='. '=)
(") (") Bunny
paintball<3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:14 PM #7
d3kelley
~The Ginger~

d3kelley plays in the APPA D5 division
i honestly think bore size does not matter for accuracy, maybe for efficiency. you are only gonna be accurate if you are shooting quality paint and if your gear (marker,loader,barrel) are spotless
d3kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:35 PM #8
FunSizeAssasin
Team NVS Hawaii

FunSizeAssasin owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
FunSizeAssasin is for the Gunfight
FunSizeAssasin has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball<3er
so what paint do u think is the best?
ULTRA EVIL!!!
FunSizeAssasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:15 PM #9
Mr. Stealthy

The paint is the biggest factor, seconded by the markers regulator. If the paint is consistent and the air is propelling it at the same rate each time, it is going to shoot straight.

The barrel of course does play a role but it is a very small one. The barrel needs to be fairly well honed and bored out straight.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 PM #10
Brad- Division
Shootin Faces since 89'

has been a member for 10 years
Brad- Division owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball<3er View Post
so what paint do u think is the best?
Actually I would say that there are many answers.

Meaning, IF you want a paint under $45 there would be a list of a few and if your talking about ANY paint at ANY price than I would have to say there are less.

I guess you have to say what's the best paint for _____ price.

I choose to shoot the best paint that I can get for the best price and for me that has ALMOST always been Nelson Paint.

I Choose to shoot Anarchy at practices and to me that is the best paint for the price, but since it isn't the most "popular" people might say things against it.

But Ive shot just about everything and that is the paint I shoot EVERY weekend I can.
Brad- Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:25 AM #11
paintball<3er

so alot of people feel its the paint tht makes the difference however let me play devils advocate every paintball is imperfect in its own way...correct? however the barrel is consistent in shape and size so wouldnt the barrel cause a gun to be more accurate

(\__/)
(='. '=)
(") (") Bunny
Old 05-03-2012, 05:29 AM #12
paintball<3er

also does anyone feel tht spools have extremely better grouping of paint stream than poppits how would a spool help accuracy and does anyone think poppits are more accurate if so explain y u think so and explain how a poppit helps accuracy plz

(\__/)
(='. '=)
(") (") Bunny
Old 05-03-2012, 02:51 PM #13
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

has been a member for 10 years
A paintball at 300 fps out of a poppit will not travel differently than a paintball at 300 fps out of a spool (barring anything weird like an Apex or flatline barrel but that's not based on poppit vs spool that's based on the barrel). If there is a difference based on more advanced physics than I know (ie related to fluid dynamics of air flow or something like that) then the difference is so small as to be negligible (because if it wasn't all the tournament players would have gone one way or the other).

And before someone brings up "Poppits lob spools shoot straight" that is also not true. The "Lob" you see is because the barrel is higher in relation to your hand so when the ball leaves the barrel and gravity starts acting on it you seem to notice it drop further. In reality if you took a spool gun at 300 fps and a poppit at 300 fps they wouldn't shoot any further than each other. (Well actually I guess the poppit since it starts from a tiny bit higher plane would get maybe a few more inches of distance but again, negligible).

To answer your question about paintballs all being slightly different and the barrel staying the same yes that is true. That is why high end paint costs more than low end paint. High end paint is more consistently round ball to ball (and usually has a more brittle shell and better fill as well). Your barrel isn't going to fit each ball perfectly, you just want the barrel to be as consistent as possible. That is why overboring and underboring lead to the most consistent shot and also why paint matters more than the barrel does. People don't like to hear that because expensive paint needs to be bought each time you go play while a barrel only needs to be bought once but that is the unfortunate truth.

I agree with Mr. Stealthy's factors but would actually reverse the order order and say consistent gas delivery is most important followed by paint. You can have the best paint in the world but shooting it out of a blowback running unregged CO2 is going to result in bad consistency. Once you have a compressed air set up, then it becomes all about the paint.

Last edited by SKI008 : 05-03-2012 at 02:57 PM.
SKI008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:40 PM #14
paintball<3er

nice nice .....anyine else have other ideas

(\__/)
(='. '=)
(") (") Bunny
Old 05-04-2012, 02:38 PM #15
border411
AllGaveSome,SomeGaveAll

border411 supports Pev's Paintball
border411 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fresh paint is better than old paint. It doesnt matter the brand. Fresh cheap stuff will outshoot old expensive stuff any day of the week.
How To Make Custom Lexan Grips
border411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:38 PM #16
Aviator89

Aviator89 plays in the APPA beginner division
High quality paint = good accuracy. some might argue that bore size doesnt matter, some say thats all that matters. I feel that it does matter (somewhat, depends on how good/ how bad the bore match is), imagine a musket ball traveling down a muskets barrel that is to big for it, not only will it need more gun powder to achieve the desired velocity (effeicency) but the ball will zig zag in the barrel slightly which CAN cause a drop in accuracy. Not gauranteed tho. (if u know about guns, u know that each original non rifled musket barrels, typically has its own lead mold for the musket balls, because that achieved better accuracy, keep in mind this is the early 1700's, and they knew that bore size matters) So I argue, the same, but obviously its on a much less noticeable scale than a musket and lead ball. Yet the basic physics still apply.

Good regulator= consistent velocity (along with consistent ball shape and bore size, aka kigh quality paint) will translate into a more consistent "arc" or "stream" of paint. In other words, the balls will be more likely to travel the same distance as the previous ball. Ever use C02? fluctuations in pressure change velocity, which changes ur available range. not good.

Also, fluid dynamics (same as aerodynamics) on poorly shaped balls can cause balls to spin or have un-even drag on the surface of the ball as it flies through the air. This ultimately is what causes a spin, after the ball leaves the barrel.
The more even the aerodynamic drag on the surface of the paintball is, the less likely it will travel off course.

WTB Marq 6/7/vice rubber grips with window for Virtue OLED boards.
Aviator89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:12 AM #17
paintball<3er

nice views!

(\__/)
(='. '=)
(") (") Bunny
Old 05-05-2012, 07:55 AM #18
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
A paintball at 300 fps out of a poppit will not travel differently than a paintball at 300 fps out of a spool (barring anything weird like an Apex or flatline barrel but that's not based on poppit vs spool that's based on the barrel). If there is a difference based on more advanced physics than I know (ie related to fluid dynamics of air flow or something like that) then the difference is so small as to be negligible (because if it wasn't all the tournament players would have gone one way or the other).

And before someone brings up "Poppits lob spools shoot straight" that is also not true. The "Lob" you see is because the barrel is higher in relation to your hand so when the ball leaves the barrel and gravity starts acting on it you seem to notice it drop further. In reality if you took a spool gun at 300 fps and a poppit at 300 fps they wouldn't shoot any further than each other. (Well actually I guess the poppit since it starts from a tiny bit higher plane would get maybe a few more inches of distance but again, negligible).

To answer your question about paintballs all being slightly different and the barrel staying the same yes that is true. That is why high end paint costs more than low end paint. High end paint is more consistently round ball to ball (and usually has a more brittle shell and better fill as well). Your barrel isn't going to fit each ball perfectly, you just want the barrel to be as consistent as possible. That is why overboring and underboring lead to the most consistent shot and also why paint matters more than the barrel does. People don't like to hear that because expensive paint needs to be bought each time you go play while a barrel only needs to be bought once but that is the unfortunate truth.

I agree with Mr. Stealthy's factors but would actually reverse the order order and say consistent gas delivery is most important followed by paint. You can have the best paint in the world but shooting it out of a blowback running unregged CO2 is going to result in bad consistency. Once you have a compressed air set up, then it becomes all about the paint.
The two are fairly interchangeable and either can have a huge effect. However, I still feel paint is the larger factor and heres why. The paintball is disturbed the most after it leaves the barrel (atmospheric factors). Having oblong, inconsistent paint sizing, dimpling etc. is going to cause the ball to go be thrown significantly off of its flight path. If you have extremely consistent paint but inconsistent air regulation, the paint is still going to fly prety straight, but will drop off at slightly different rates. This is usually towards the end of its flight path unless your consistency spread is just absolutely insane. Ultimately consistency is not directly related (but is a small factor) whereas paint is. If you have crazy paint, you can usually still achieve velocity consistency by having a quality regulator and either underboring or overboring the paint. However, when you shoot that paint it is still going to shoot poor groups once it leaves the barrel.

Also for a couple of the other users, marker type has absolutely nothing to do with it. The same paint leaving any barrel at 300fps is going to fly the same in any gun, period. Spools tend to give the perception of being more accurate due to how smooth and quiet they are. They simply seem like smoother platform. Comparing it to firearms, many people will simply shoot better with a firearm of a smaller caliber due to them being more comfortable with the recoil/blast, etc.

All the factors are important for achieving accuracey:
Bore fit: helps provide consistency, efficiency
Regulator: Helps provide consistency
Paint: Helps the paint fly consistently through the air and ensures it is disrupted less during its flight path.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:27 PM #19
FunSizeAssasin
Team NVS Hawaii

FunSizeAssasin owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
FunSizeAssasin has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The paint and how the bore on the paint matches ur barrel
FunSizeAssasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 PM #20
Racso