Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 AM #1
samoan baller
 
 
samoan baller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: So Cal
"bounces count" @ SoCal fields!

Im just wondering if any other fields are ruining paintball by making "bounces count?". SC Village (and all affiliated Giant paintball parks) in SoCal has implemented a new rule stating that if u are hit with a paintball that does not break, u are out???? Now co-owner Dennis B. claims it is because paint maunufactures are making cheaper paint that does not break. Paint companies are actually making better quality paint at cheaper prices. I think newer players at SC Village probably complain about the house paint not breaking, hence SC Village loses business if it doesn't sell paint.

Anyone who has played more than once knows not to buy field paint there (byop allowed). It is called paintball because, paint is inside the shell which is made to break on impact and mark an opposing player. It is not airsoft! I can see how on a beginners game this rule might be okay, but not on intermediate or advanced groups.

Is this happening anywhere else in the US? SC village was an early pioneer of the game, but they are moving backwards just to make money!
__________________

AGGRAVATED ASSAULT
www.ccpaintballonline
samoan baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:47 AM #2
HeroForADay
#1 Canuck
 
HeroForADay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 403
HeroForADay owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
HeroForADay owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
HeroForADay supports Team VICIOUS
HeroForADay supports DLX Technology
HeroForADay supports Empire
I've seen this done on a local woodsball field as a gentlemans rule, but never on any other field.
__________________
Custom Octane SFT // Found my Luxe!

HeroForADay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:48 AM #3
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by samoan baller View Post
Im just wondering if any other fields are ruining paintball by making "bounces count?". SC Village (and all affiliated Giant paintball parks) in SoCal has implemented a new rule stating that if u are hit with a paintball that does not break, u are out???? Now co-owner Dennis B. claims it is because paint maunufactures are making cheaper paint that does not break. Paint companies are actually making better quality paint at cheaper prices. I think newer players at SC Village probably complain about the house paint not breaking, hence SC Village loses business if it doesn't sell paint.

Anyone who has played more than once knows not to buy field paint there (byop allowed). It is called paintball because, paint is inside the shell which is made to break on impact and mark an opposing player. It is not airsoft! I can see how on a beginners game this rule might be okay, but not on intermediate or advanced groups.

Is this happening anywhere else in the US? SC village was an early pioneer of the game, but they are moving backwards just to make money!
If it was to make money, they would make more by not having bounces count. It makes people shoot more paintballs to get one to break and keeps players on the field longer, shooting paintballs, so your logic is flawed.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:38 PM #4
ActionExpress
 
 
ActionExpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bay Area
ActionExpress plays in the PSP
ActionExpress plays in the APPA Pro division
Go play at ASG or Camp P.
__________________
Los Angeles Ironmen
Paintball Sports Promotions
WCPPL
Dye Precision
Santa Clara Paintball
ActionExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:59 PM #5
TradeMyGun
Buy/$ell/Trade
 
TradeMyGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Annual Supporting Member
TradeMyGun is BST Legit
TradeMyGun is playing at Living Legends V
TradeMyGun owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
TradeMyGun has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
TradeMyGun is Legendary
Having bounces count is actually a great idea. It really helps you prepare for a tournament at the local/national level. Paint is going to ALWAYS break in a tournament. If you are not going out on bounces when you are practicing chances are your going to get a penalty or two when the stakes are a lot higher.

Now for casual play... it's not such a big deal.
__________________
We sell everything, not just guns...Check us out at: www.trademygun.com

<TMG April GiveAway > Win a FREE Pulse RDR CLICK HERE

Call Us 260-357-1560 x2

"Trademygun now records all serial numbers for all guns that are sold or traded to us AND all guns that we sell. We can trace a gun to the previous owner and the new owner. Buy, sell, and trade with us.....together we'll stop theft in the paintball community! "
TradeMyGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:56 PM #6
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Bounces don't count as an elimination in the pro division, nor should they in recball. I'm not calling myself out on a bounce, ever.

This is all part of the "let's baby the renters" movement.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:00 PM #7
laserman37
bunker, smile, repeat...
 
laserman37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
laserman37 plays in the PSP
laserman37 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
laserman37 supports Team VICIOUS
laserman37 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
If it was to make money, they would make more by not having bounces count. It makes people shoot more paintballs to get one to break and keeps players on the field longer, shooting paintballs, so your logic is flawed.
Your argument would only make sense if the field had a field paint only rule. Since the players can bring their own paint, then they would bring paint that breaks rather than the field's bouncy paint. Thus the field would lose money. By incorporating the "bounces count" rule, the field is taking away incentive to bring off-field paint.
__________________
OKC SONICS
Paintball Club of Chocktaw
laserman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:48 PM #8
PumpStalker
 
 
PumpStalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Middletown, DE
PumpStalker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PumpStalker has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TradeMyGun View Post
Paint is going to ALWAYS break in a tournament.
Paint doesn't ALWAYS break in Tournaments, especially on a hot, humid day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TradeMyGun View Post
If you are not going out on bounces when you are practicing chances are your going to get a penalty or two when the stakes are a lot higher.
Getting a penalty because you're careless opposed to calling yourself out on a bounce? If I called myself out on a bounce at a tourney I would feel like a complete moron. Why would you practice to call yourself out on every single hit that you take? There is a reason you can call refs for a paintcheck, or check yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
I'm not calling myself out on a bounce, ever.
Neither will I. One of the factors of paintball is the % chance that a paintball hitting you isn't going to break.
__________________
Fully upped Ninja 2k2 STO w/ Check-It Pump Kit

Play Pump. ಠ_ಠ

"Originally posted by wowzerz: Point is, no matter who wins the argument, it doesn't really matter."
PumpStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:23 PM #9
HeroForADay
#1 Canuck
 
HeroForADay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 403
HeroForADay owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
HeroForADay owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
HeroForADay supports Team VICIOUS
HeroForADay supports DLX Technology
HeroForADay supports Empire
The only people who should count bounces are those dudes in the goddamn ghillie suits in the woods... nothing breaks on em!
__________________
Custom Octane SFT // Found my Luxe!

HeroForADay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 PM #10
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman37 View Post
Your argument would only make sense if the field had a field paint only rule.
But I bet that even though they allow outside paint, they still sell a lot of paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman37 View Post
Since the players can bring their own paint, then they would bring paint that breaks rather than the field's bouncy paint. Thus the field would lose money. By incorporating the "bounces count" rule, the field is taking away incentive to bring off-field paint.
Yes, probably. What's wrong with a business trying to sell more of their product. I personally wouldn't have a problem if a rec field wanted to incorporate "Honour Ball" rules. Unfortunately, either way, there are going to be cheaters, bounces counting or not.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:38 PM #11
Box
Wroooaaarrrr!
 
Box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Annual Supporting Member
Box is playing at Living Legends VII
Sounds like a bad call. If a booked group wanted to count bounces, that's up to them. They are also more likely to obey that rule. Making it a field rule seems silly. It's no secret that people play on from time to time, even when balls break on them.

Unless a ref is watching, there is no way to prove you bounced someone in the middle of a game.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:05 PM #12
kpmurphy
beer
 
kpmurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 706/305
kpmurphy is playing at Living Legends V
kpmurphy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
kpmurphy supports Pev's Paintball
kpmurphy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kpmurphy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
kpmurphy is attending Decay of Nations VI
Thats dumb. Why wear pads, Jerseys,etc that help balls bounce if they count? I wouldn't play there
__________________
Team Mental Diversion
kpmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 PM #13
eudaman
Professional Mis-informer
 
eudaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Location :Location
eudaman plays in the PSP
eudaman plays in the APPA D4 division
I was there last week and I heard that during them going over the rules. I thought I was hearing things and shrugged it off. During a game I called a ref for a paint check (I play pump so its a habbit) and he called me clean...
eudaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:58 PM #14
Gyvanth
That Awkward Guy
 
Gyvanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Franklin, MA
Gyvanth has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Reward people who go and buy a 2000 box of paint for $7? Hell no. Encouraging crappy paint is just wrong, for all players. No one likes to take a bouncer that feels like being hit by a brick, and not seeing a splat is anticlimactic. Plus now what is the point of having refs?
Gyvanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:57 PM #15
samoan baller
 
 
samoan baller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: So Cal
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpStalker View Post
Paint doesn't ALWAYS break in Tournaments, especially on a hot, humid day.



Getting a penalty because you're careless opposed to calling yourself out on a bounce? If I called myself out on a bounce at a tourney I would feel like a complete moron. Why would you practice to call yourself out on every single hit that you take? There is a reason you can call refs for a paintcheck, or check yourself.



Neither will I. One of the factors of paintball is the % chance that a paintball hitting you isn't going to break.
My point exactly...and again this is a recball fourm. I'm not talking anything about tourneys, because they dont count gun/hopper hits for recball play. How are you supposed to argue the fact that you shot someone and bounced them? "check his leg ref, i bounced him there" come on really. I can see people now, telling the reff to pull all of the guys from behind a certain bunker because he bounced them all. If you want to implement the rule for beginners fine, not for the advanced groups.

Most regular or experienced players bring and buy certain paint, depending on the weather. Its hot here in socal, lots of stuff will bounce when its over 90 deg. I will shoot the most brittle paint i can all the time. I shoot pumps so every shot counts. I am not going out becuase someone chooses to buy field paint or crappy paint and bounces me. Bounces have been part of the game since organized paintball began. It is not paintball if bounces count, they might as well just play with reballs then. Paintball in general was formed on the basis that the ball must break for it to count as an elimination. Hence the paintball gun/AKA "marker' used to propell paint to mark an object.

Overall, i guess we will have to deal with the stupid rule out here, unless enough people make their voices heard.


Oh and "Eudaman" this was only their second week with this rule. They are also going to make it manditory to buy what they call a 'dead rag" starting January of 2013 for all SC/Giant locations. It's basically a rag you have to purchase from them that you hold up after being eliminated. I guess they feel if you have their red rag, a foce field surrounds you when you raise it up over head. You will not take any extra balls for being slow and lazy. I can really see this as a cool and upcoming trend! Yeah right!! sounding a little like airsoft to me, as it is they play all these COD based games now. what happened to straight up elimination or at least capture the flag?

I was just wondering if anyone else is seeing this around.
__________________

AGGRAVATED ASSAULT
www.ccpaintballonline
samoan baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 PM #16
masterofTHUMBS
boom headshot
 
masterofTHUMBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: 703
masterofTHUMBS posts videos on PbNation
masterofTHUMBS is an NCPA player
masterofTHUMBS supports Pev's Paintball
masterofTHUMBS plays in the APPA D5 division
If they are having issues with people bringing in outside paint, they just need to implement a FPO rule. As long as they provide competitive prices for paint, people will buy field paint. Both of my local fields do it but they don't try to gouge you for it. $40 for the cheap ****, $50 for decent, and $60 for the good stuff. Pev's kind of does gouge at the field but you can buy Pev's paint at their stores cheaper and use it on the fields. Implementing a bounce=out rule is dumb and impossible to enforce unless you have a ref for every player.
masterofTHUMBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:54 PM #17
Diomedes
Nerd
 
Diomedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Millburn, NJ
Diomedes is playing at Living Legends III
In NJ, we have a somewhat regular pump group that plays indoor in the winter, and for those games, bounces count. Otherwise, it's up to the group. Many people I play with regularly (myself included) often call ourselves out on bounces anyway. If I catch more than one bounce at a time, you know what, nice shooting, you got me.

But it is odd for the field to enforce bounces as hits. That was the way it was originally played, didn't matter if it broke or not, but that hasn't been the general rule since probably the late 80s, early 90s at the latest. But if you don't like it, play elsewhere.

That being said, when does bounce padding become cheating?
__________________
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My PBN feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 PM #18
tr4mm
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PA
tr4mm is for the Gunfight
tr4mm has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tr4mm has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I can see it now...

...get him out ref! Get him out! Get the **** out of here! I bounced him!

And I thought there was already enough yelling and swearing
__________________
Total: +99/-0
PBnation: +34/-0 (+14 old, +20 new)
PBreview: +3/-0
AO: +4/-0
Ebay: +58/-0

"Originally posted by mas19: I told of ref on the dxs field that the yellow substance on my hopper was mustard from lunch."
tr4mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 PM #19
THE Biscuit
 
 
THE Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Portland
THE Biscuit owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
THE Biscuit owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
All I have to say is, good luck enforcing THAT rule.
__________________
"Originally posted by painthappy: I actually LOL'd at this... I don't normally LOL when I type LOL, but this time I mean it."
"Originally posted by BigOldSkool: I've played pump against the worst of the paintball scum bags, do I hang it up? Nah.... I play angrier."
THE Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:41 PM #20
drgonzo
Half-cocked
 
drgonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Back in the day I thought this rule would be a good idea, but these days not so much. Bounces counting would limit movement since you couldn't risk traversing open areas, especially near the back line, where most paint bounces in normal situations.
__________________
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK BARREL - Custom LAPCO 1-piece .681 14" barrel w/ 10" control bore! Awesome for PUMP (and semi too!) Sale!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:14 PM #21
PumpStalker
 
 
PumpStalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Middletown, DE
PumpStalker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PumpStalker has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I wear pants with knee pads & elbow pads because if I go crawling around I'm not trying to bruise up my elbows and knees. The fact that paint occasionally bounces off of them is just a perk. Besides, to wear padding that TRULY heavily reduces the chance of paint breaking on you is not only very likely to be bulky, but will hinder your movement in one way or another.

The light padding that you find on jerseys, I really don't think it makes that big of a difference. As far as gloves go, hands and knuckles are hard and catching a bounce off a knuckle is pure luck.
__________________
Fully upped Ninja 2k2 STO w/ Check-It Pump Kit

Play Pump. ಠ_ಠ

"Originally posted by wowzerz: Point is, no matter who wins the argument, it doesn't really matter."
PumpStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump