PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 AM #1
(thc)GunSmoke
I Fight For MACDEV

ThcGunSmoke - Clone GT Review

Clone GT Review - Thcgunsmoke

After using the marker for a solid few weeks one solid day being an event I feel I can now put together a solid review of the marker with a lot of collaborated information Ive gathered using this marker. THIS WILL BE A LONG REVIEW. So if you dont feel like reading I suggest you move on right now :p

First off id like to go over serveral point

Feel and marker parts

Rounded off frame, inline reg shape and over all ergonomics of the marker have changed alot.

Shooting profile seems to be about 5 MM lower (i don't know if people really care about such a small difference but im just stating the specs)

More weight although the marker is actually heavier then the v2 and vx clones I feel in my hands no difference! The marker feels much nicer to hold and overall tricks my brain into making the marker feel the same weight or lighter do to a better balance point and much nicer feel all around.

Trigger not much has improved here at all if any.. some people are a fan of the newer clone triggers and well I nor hate nor like it, this would never take me away from shooting macdev markers as the VP trigger drops right into the GT frame due to macdev keeping the same trigger specs from the VX to the Gt I do how ever feel that the stock trigger could be improved by having the bearings press fitted into the trigger rather then them just kinda dropping into the trigger also instead of them being off centered having the bearings flush with either side of the trigger would give it a very solid feel with less side to side play.. but again this is only a slight hiccup in what i feel is a near perfect design.

Grips I am so use to using spd panels on my marker over the years that the new duro of harder rubber used on the grips is imo very nice.. they are very slim and give the marker a great feel. There is nothing to improve on here.

Board is very nice OLED is a great feature for ease of programming and battery levels etc but not only that the militia soft provides every mode you would ever need with some very responsive trigger logic. A quality stock board !!!

Nice ASA turns on turns off easy and purgers nicely. Feed neck is also very nice perfect height and does its job also has tool less adjust-ability

With only minor changes to the trigger Id have to say macdev hit the nail on the head with the improvements they have made to the ergonomics of the marker. everything from the spacing between the frame and the reg to over all feel and balance of the marker is imo prefect for me and i will look forward to shooting this marker for years to come

Shooting Performance

well what can I say here anyone whos shot a droid, v2, vx hell even the cyborgs knows why macdev has made some of the smoothest shooting marker time and time again. But I'm going to say in honest opinion that the Gt isn't at a whole new level but it is noticeably smoother then previous generations made. Every marker is going to have pressure recoil and for those who don't know what this is its when the marker fires a ball the pressure behind the ball forcing it out the barrel is going to make the marker recoil to some extent. What I have noticed with the gt is rather then vertical recoil (barrel lifting upwards) its more of a horizontal recoil pushing the marker back into your shoulder a bit this I have found really improves accuracy as your barrel stays nice and flat during a long string of shots

Bolt changes are were well though out moving away from the metric orings on the valve was a smart idea on macdevs part not only will this create a better sealing surface it also will give the valve and power tube orings increased durability and will therefore last much longer. while on the subject of the new rings i feel the valve is much more responsive and that it has a larger flow rate due to the channel size between the rings. The Bolt valve and keg also seem to be polished VERY well before hard anodized and this is also a huge plus! The venturi cap does seem to do its job very well I did notice that i got a very straight shot and was able to shoot very brittle pant with no trouble. The Gt has a very consistent shot over the chrono tho this has alot to do with paint to barrel match as well i have found that the ball accuracy is dramatically increased due to the venturi cap and overall consistency of the regulator.

i was shooting evil at the last event i just played and had no problems with breaks what so ever the gun shot amazing all day long. one thing i have noticed as that the ball stack in the clone Vx and the GT is held unbelievable straight like no other marker ive ever seen on the market this really helps reduce clipping of balls. tho a major improvement with the gt over the VX is now the bolt is in contact with the ball during the entire bolt cycle there is no gap to where the bolt hits the ball before pushing it forward during the shooting cycle

Pneumatic lock on the bolt cap is quite a nice feature its not needed but it was added and for that it can keep your mind at rest knowing your bolt cap will never pop open or get caught and open when the marker is under pressure

Sleek design not only dose the new milling look amazing the fact that there are no external drilling for air passage ways makes this marker look very sleek

Barrel Its a shift kit. its pretty light has a great insert design micro honed and well dose not get much better!

Overall

Overall i am happy with the redesigns on the bolt kit the venturi tip does work for providing a more accurate flow rate on the ball as well as being a little nicer on paint due to the ball staying in contact with the bolt at all times. the valve flow rates seem to have increased and are much more responsive as and a huge improvement is going away from the metric rings on the bolt parts its nicer to have a larger sealing surface on the valve and powertube and in turn more durability with the larger rings in those spots. The overall feel of the marker and everything about it makes it a marker that i will keep in my gear bag untill macdev dose great things with their next spool valve design. Being that the trigger is the only thing i think id work on id have to say job well done on macdevs part!!!

Maintenance Video

Shooting Video

Chrono Video

Pictures

Id really like to thank James and everyone at macdev for what they do for the community!! truly a 1 of a kind company with great service

Hope you guys enjoyed the read when doing a review this big its only natural to miss some points id love to touch base on but I think this covers the most part for new owners or people that just cant decide if the GT is the marker for them!!

Last edited by (thc)GunSmoke : 04-30-2012 at 11:12 PM.
(thc)GunSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2012, 12:43 AM #2
Hebiki
Hebiki Design Works

geez... give us some warning before posting pix that look LIKE THAT.

great write up.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:05 AM #3
James@MacDev
secret underground lair

has been a member for 10 years
James@MacDev works for a Paintball manufacturer
they are fantastic pics and great review!
James@MacDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:21 AM #4
abz123

Best review yet. Solid. Props to you my friend.
abz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 AM #5
poweredbyink
MacDev Militia

poweredbyink works for a Paintball manufacturer
poweredbyink plays in the APPA D4 division
Great review.Thanks for taking the time.
poweredbyink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:56 AM #6
Fenix

Fenix is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fenix owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fenix supports Team VICIOUS
Very cool. Great job!
Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:25 AM #7
OLD_B4LL3R
www.teamoddity.com

Annual Supporting Member
OLD_B4LL3R owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
OLD_B4LL3R has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
OLD_B4LL3R has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
OLD_B4LL3R supports DLX Technology
Great Review! Thanks for taking the time to do it so well!

Love the shooting "area" so jelly..... please tell me that's not your back yard.

Pics look great - loving that color scheme.

Zodiac ZR-1 Black/Green = Ninja 550psi Reg'd Crossfire 70/4500 = Seed Rotor
PE Ego10 DigiCam Midnight (Virtue OLED) = Ninja Air 68/4500 = Seed Rotor
PE Geo2 Midnight = Ninja Air 68/4500 = Seed Rotor
Dye DM9 Champagne (Pooty51 Polished Bolt / Virtue OLED) = Ninja Reg'd CrossFire 70/4500 = Seed Rotor
My YouTube . . BattleField Orlando
OLD_B4LL3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:15 AM #8
(thc)GunSmoke
I Fight For MACDEV

Not my back yard but only about a 1 and a half min walk away from my house.

Thanks for the comments on the pictures and review

Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 PM #9
Mark S.
CHOWDAH

Mark S. works for a Paintball manufacturer
Mark S. plays in the APPA D4 division
Very nice review. Right on the money!
Mark S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 PM #10
Nobody609

Nobody609 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
nice write up Dana. haven't forgotten about the orings, just been super busy with personal stuff and lack of money. will be getting them next week. figured i post this up here, instead of ICDO, since you frequent here more often, i assume.
Nobody609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:20 PM #11
ammo303
Don't come at me bro

ammo303 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ammo303 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ammo303 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm mad jealous of your scenery...perks of being Canadian I guess...

well written
ammo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:24 PM #12
WldWzl
Limp Gawd

Annual Supporting Member
WldWzl donated to help Peyton Trent
WldWzl supports our troops
Great write-up. Quick question though, I have a Clone GT as well, purchased the Violent trigger too, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get it in. Strange thing is the package says Droid/RX however when I ordered the trigger in the description it said Clone/Droid/RX, do I have the wrong one?

Sorry to derail.

Thanks.
WldWzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:37 PM #13
seriouslysilly

seriouslysilly owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
seriouslysilly owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
seriouslysilly posts videos on PbNation
seriouslysilly has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by WldWzl View Post
Great write-up. Quick question though, I have a Clone GT as well, purchased the Violent trigger too, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get it in. Strange thing is the package says Droid/RX however when I ordered the trigger in the description it said Clone/Droid/RX, do I have the wrong one?

Sorry to derail.

Thanks.
Just realized today. I thought the same thing when I attempted to install the VP trigger when I first got it.

There is another hole in the frame (bottom right) of where the post went with the stock trigger. If you line up the VP trigger on the other hole, the VP trigger will fit.

Now I just have to head to the local hardware store to get a set screw to cover up the open hole where the trigger pin (stock trigger) went to. I'd hate for paint/debris to find its way inside the marker during play.
seriouslysilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 PM #14
(thc)GunSmoke
I Fight For MACDEV

yes as stated by seriously you need to use the back hole located under the grip panel to install the VP trigger it will not fit in the stock trigger pin hole

Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 PM #15
WldWzl
Limp Gawd

Annual Supporting Member
Wow, thanks guys, missed that.

Curious, did you use the spring, magnet, or nothing?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 PM #16
seriouslysilly

I installed the magnet.
I have a few small magnets that I bought for trigger installs from someone in the DP forums (don't remember who).

I just put a small dab of hot glue to secure the magnet on the frame. The magnet was already on the trigger. Just made sure of polarity and is as responsive as nipples in the cold.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 PM #17
WldWzl
Limp Gawd

Annual Supporting Member
Sweet, something I noted in the video and during my own experience. The velocity, it is a bit all over, break in maybe?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 PM #18
seriouslysilly

Well, straight from the factory the GT has a bit more grease on the DT to enable it to cycle through the marker.

I was planning on using it as is for the 1st case with a dwell of 14.

After the 1st case, I was going to relube the HPR and DT to the appropriate/recommended amount of grease. That should narrow the range a bit.

That and the usual break in period
Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 PM #19
Mark S.
CHOWDAH

Mark S. works for a Paintball manufacturer
Mark S. plays in the APPA D4 division
My GT got way more consistent after the first breakdown / relube of the drivetrain once the orings started bedding in.
Mark S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 PM #20
(thc)GunSmoke
I Fight For MACDEV

ive also noticed at least on my Gt that i see a more consistent shot at a dwell of 11 rather then 12 might be something to check if you have access to a chrono and some time

Old 05-01-2012, 01:34 AM #21
BELOWZERO
2JZGTE POWERED

Annual Supporting Member
BELOWZERO is playing at Living Legends V
BELOWZERO is playing at Living Legends VI
BELOWZERO owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
BELOWZERO supports Team VICIOUS
BELOWZERO plays in the APPA D4 division
BELOWZERO is Legendary
BELOWZERO is Boss
had a weird issue with mine today, at high rof in semi a ball would just kinda fall out of the barrel and cause paint to break almost like it was half cycling i just got done lubing the reg piston as well as the whole drive terrane it worked great on sunday im thinking its was just my reg, it was caked full of lube

what else should i look for ?

MUST STOP GUN BEING A GUN WHORE
FOR ALL YOUR BOBLONG NEEDS PM TIM2THOUSAND4
Field of Dreams
900-999-999
BELOWZERO is offline   Reply With Quote