Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-13-2012, 07:41 PM #85
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eering View Post
Anyways directing people to your broadcast should be a fairly simple thing to do when it isn't being crammed into a horrible timeslot by TV companies.
Even having the ability to direct people to your broadcast will not do you a lot of good when your game isn't very interesting to watch. I think that the most interesting format I ever saw on television was the Ultimate Arena Paintball League.

The games were short, and the teams were small enough that the cameras generally caught most of the action.

I'll use the NPL as an example again. The NPL uses a format that I feel is well-suited for television. There are two 4-man teams on the field, one plays the offense while the other plays the defense. The offense is given a flag that is attached by velcro to the barrel of one of the players. The field is split into three sections, and the flag-carrying player has to advance to each section within a time-frame. If the flag carrier is shot, then someone else from the team has to pick up the flag within 20(?) seconds. If the flag carrier scores, they get the flag again for the next point. If the flag is not picked up, or all the offensive players are shot out, then the flag changes possession.

The format is very fast-paced, and it keeps the focus centered around the flag. I'm not saying that the entire industry should switch to this format. However, it would be a good way to appeal to new players while being entertaining at the same time.

The reason that I would like paintball to be on tv is that it would be a source of income for the leagues. If we can generate a big enough fan base, then the networks will start coming with their checkbooks open. Right now, the PSP charges pro teams about 3 thousand dollars for each event, meaning that they are making somewhere between 40 and 50 grand from that division alone. If the league could make a similar or greater amount of money from a television contract, they would be under a great deal of pressure to subsidize or even wipe out the Pro division entry fee. That could potentially save a team or their sponsors up to 15 thousand dollars a year.

That type of deal is a long way off, but it is certainly possible.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2012, 08:23 PM #86
Jon Eering

While I agree with you that UAP was super enjoyable to watch it isn't quite what I'm getting at in the crux of my post. I am saying that you can provide a good service to your fanbase already, then charge for big bonuses (1080P? 60FPS 720P?). Because right now, TV isn't interested in Pro paintball and I don't necessarily blame them.
Jon Eering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 PM #87
ghettosmurfballer

ghettosmurfballer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I think the most helpful thing for paintball would be changing the reputation of it and its players by the people who are not involved in the sport. When people think of paintball they think of it as a hobby or a joke and they think all it is is people running around in the woods shooting eachother. We just need to keep pushing for paintball to be thought of more seriously in our society.
ghettosmurfballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 PM #88
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSherman View Post
2:06 FTW!!!
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:08 PM #89
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettosmurfballer View Post
I think the most helpful thing for paintball would be changing the reputation of it and its players by the people who are not involved in the sport. When people think of paintball they think of it as a hobby or a joke and they think all it is is people running around in the woods shooting eachother. We just need to keep pushing for paintball to be thought of more seriously in our society.
I agree with this.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 PM #90
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettosmurfballer
Changing opinions is a lot more difficult than you might think. I've talked to dozens of people about paintball. I show videos, do presentations, and display my gear. Regardless of all that effort, most of those people still don't consider paintball to be a sport. It is hard to change a first impression.

Someone brought up competitive gaming, and I think that is a good example of what I'm talking about. I know a couple people who are in to that sort of thing, and I just think that it is the dumbest thing in the world. You could talk about all the skill required until you are blue in the face, and I will still consider it incredibly stupid.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:54 AM #91
scroadkill
still pump'n - go figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
I agree with this.
professional regulation of fields and field operations would go a long way. think NAPRA, IPPA

but seriously: pro-anything wont work unless its fun for the average joe to watch on TV... then and only then will real advertisers care enough to write checks.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:40 AM #92
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scroadkill View Post
professional regulation of fields and field operations would go a long way. think NAPRA, IPPA
What type of regulation are you talking about?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:57 AM #93
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Changing opinions is a lot more difficult than you might think. I've talked to dozens of people about paintball. I show videos, do presentations, and display my gear. Regardless of all that effort, most of those people still don't consider paintball to be a sport. It is hard to change a first impression.

Someone brought up competitive gaming, and I think that is a good example of what I'm talking about. I know a couple people who are in to that sort of thing, and I just think that it is the dumbest thing in the world. You could talk about all the skill required until you are blue in the face, and I will still consider it incredibly stupid.

But, professional "gaming" is huge in other countries. My brother was one of the top players in MGO years ago, and won an all expenses trip to Japan in 2008 for the world championships. (His team WIN came in 2nd place) But, over there, gaming is HUGE. The finals were held in a large arena with thousands of people watching... Not something you would see in the USA...

Crazy to think everyone was in this arena just watching tv screens set up all over that showed different players screens while the game was going on.

The Americans were at a distinct disadvantage, because the crowd would yell out in Japanese if an American player was sneaking up on the crowd favorite... And of course the American players had no clue what they were saying.

If they can make gaming popular to that extent, (which is really hard to follow in video form) I would think you could make paintball interesting to watch.

But, I think the current format isn't conducive to good TV. The key is good filming, and doing it live wouldn't be easy at all... If you could outfit every player with goggle cams, AND gun cams with zoom, you would be on to a format that could deliver the angles needed for good filming, but it would be technologically insane to film that way, as you would have 2 video sources per player PLUS your static camera angles off the field. I would guess you would have about 30 camera angles needed to follow the action...

It would cost a fortune to set up a system that would work for the sport. Not saying it can't be done at all, as now with flying cameras, and the HD helmet cams it is definitely possible so much more than a few years ago.

The trick is to DO it, and then once outside companies see the fan base attending the events and watching the product on TV, THEN they get involved with sponsorships, it never happens before, only after a successful product is showcased.

Trails of Doom Stickers on Ebay!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:51 PM #94
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
But, I think the current format isn't conducive to good TV. The key is good filming, and doing it live wouldn't be easy at all... If you could outfit every player with goggle cams, AND gun cams with zoom, you would be on to a format that could deliver the angles needed for good filming, but it would be technologically insane to film that way, as you would have 2 video sources per player PLUS your static camera angles off the field. I would guess you would have about 30 camera angles needed to follow the action...

It would cost a fortune to set up a system that would work for the sport. Not saying it can't be done at all, as now with flying cameras, and the HD helmet cams it is definitely possible so much more than a few years ago.

The trick is to DO it, and then once outside companies see the fan base attending the events and watching the product on TV, THEN they get involved with sponsorships, it never happens before, only after a successful product is showcased.
Goggle cams and gun cams are a novelty. You might get some nice shots on occasion, but it would definitely be more trouble than it is worth. Not to mention that most production switchers on the market can switch between about 6-10 cameras, not the thirty that you are proposing.

Frankly, it would be a hell of a lot easier to change formats than it would be to make the current formats seem interesting to a viewer. That is just the truth. Using dozens of camera angles is just a spectacle that will grow old after a while.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:01 PM #95
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
Wait, I thought we were talking about high end TV production? I've run camera on many live national shoots before, and yes, pretty much any grass valley switcher (the most popular switcher to this day) has more than 20 inputs... The base models have 24, (so you take out your cg, static sources, and package inputs, and you still would have 20+ channels to switch). High end models have well over 50 inputs, some of the newest have over 90.

All pretty normal for a high end broadcast production like the Xgames, NFL or golf programming.

Goggle cams like the go-pro and contour are currently being used quite often in prime time TV. Reality shows use them all the time...

It seems to me it would need to be filmed then edited prior to playing on TV, but really, most stuff today is done that way anyway... Nothing about paintball says it needs to be "live". You could shoot it on the weekend, and air it in the middle of the week if you wanted to really polish the "show" with the best camera angles possible.

Course if you were going to that much effort, seems to me woodsball would be more interesting, as the field looks different, and has more possibilities for cool footage.

Trails of Doom Stickers on Ebay!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:47 PM #96
ghost93

ghost93 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ghost93 is for the Gunfight
ghost93 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ghost93 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The biggest problem with your proposed 30 camera set up is that professional cameras cost a lot of money. Money that leagues don't have.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:05 PM #97
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
It seems to me it would need to be filmed then edited prior to playing on TV, but really, most stuff today is done that way anyway... Nothing about paintball says it needs to be "live". You could shoot it on the weekend, and air it in the middle of the week if you wanted to really polish the "show" with the best camera angles possible.
IIRC, this is how ESPN did it back in 2006. Even with time to edit it, the gameplay wasn't very interesting. The PSP Webcast is the same way, the video medium strips most of the drama out of the game. The cameras are focused on one or two guys, and they are not giving the audience a very good idea of what team is winning or losing.

Pretty much all televised sports have a singular point of focus. This is not an accident. If paintball is going to be televised, then it needs something similar, otherwise the viewers will get bored and change the channel.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:38 PM #98
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

how about neon yellow paintballs?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:54 PM #99
scroadkill
still pump'n - go figure

Quote:
What type of regulation are you talking about?
proof of insurance certificates
certified refs that are actually trained and constantly trained
certified fields that are inspected for safety compliance
governing bodies that work to ensure the longevity of the game....

^ all pretty much what the APL and NAPRA tried to do when the game first got started to overcome the early stigmas cast on paintball by the general public.

all real sports have similar structures in place at the grass roots levels.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 PM #100
ghost93

ghost93 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ghost93 is for the Gunfight
ghost93 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ghost93 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
IIRC, this is how ESPN did it back in 2006. Even with time to edit it, the gameplay wasn't very interesting. The PSP Webcast is the same way, the video medium strips most of the drama out of the game. The cameras are focused on one or two guys, and they are not giving the audience a very good idea of what team is winning or losing.

Pretty much all televised sports have a singular point of focus. This is not an accident. If paintball is going to be televised, then it needs something similar, otherwise the viewers will get bored and change the channel.
The ESPN3 coverage last season seemed to solve that problem for the most part. They had a good number of camera angles that were able to show the audience a decent number of players as well as a camera on a boom that was able to move as the game developed.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:38 PM #101
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scroadkill View Post
proof of insurance certificates
certified refs that are actually trained and constantly trained
certified fields that are inspected for safety compliance
governing bodies that work to ensure the longevity of the game....

^ all pretty much what the APL and NAPRA tried to do when the game first got started to overcome the early stigmas cast on paintball by the general public.

all real sports have similar structures in place at the grass roots levels.
And who pays for all of this? Most fields already operate with very tight margins, and I doubt they want some regulatory agency being funded on their dime. All that will do is drive up the cost to the player.

We all want the fields to be safe. However, establishing strict guidelines is just going to lead to angry field owners. Not to mention that there would be little this supposed regulatory organization could do to enforce its rules.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:44 PM #102
trevisw513
2 Corinthians 5: 17

trevisw513 plays in the PSP
trevisw513 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
trevisw513 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
trevisw513 is attending Decay of Nations VI
trevisw513 supports DLX Technology
I hope so, I personally watching paintball on tv

LIKE us on facebook...Trevis Meseroll Designs
trevisw513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:07 AM #103
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Paintball makes way more sense in the olympics than in the xgames, but it'll be almost impossible to get in.

vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:53 AM #104
TwistedFreak (Banned)

TwistedFreak is playing at Living Legends V
TwistedFreak owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
TwistedFreak has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
probably not. but thats what they said about the UFC. and look at it now.
TwistedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:31 PM #105
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil
Paintball makes way more sense in the olympics than in the xgames, but it'll be almost impossible to get in.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIkQs5kYKI4
Olympics let in curling. Round lead weight sliding with brooms for tools.

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote