PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-28-2012, 12:44 AM #1
Zach-Ramirez

Zach-Ramirez is playing at Living Legends VI
Zach-Ramirez owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Zach-Ramirez supports DLX Technology
Will Professional paintball go somewhere one day?

There probably has been a topic about this already but I am just asking your time to read and answer. I been having talks with my parents saying that I can't depend on paintball for my entire life, which I understand. I will be going to school and work but also will be playing for my team. My parents say that it is a hobby which is it but it can also be turned into a Extreme Sport like Surfing, Skating, Snowboarding, etc. I have seen and heard that Paintball is growing with anticipation and is growing very strong, it beat snowboarding in the recreation sports categories taking 2nd. If you really think about it how long have these other sports been around for like Baseball, Football, Basketball, and everything else, have been around for YEARS and what a lot of websites are saying that paintball was created in the 1980's (quote) "The 1980s was practically the beginning of this wonderful sport with many recognized events that occurred". Do you think if we give it some time then will something happen will players be getting paid for playing paintball not like a million dollar contract but like what a $50,000 monthly contracts for the players. Do you think that will happen one day or maybe in a couple years from now?
Zach-Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2012, 01:05 AM #2
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

has been a member for 10 years
$50,000 a month?

No. Never.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:26 AM #3
OoZoo
Work hard.

OoZoo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
OoZoo is for the Gunfight
OoZoo supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
$50,000 a month?

No. Never.
Never say never brah.

One of these days paintball will make it onto a bigger circuit such as the X-Games or something, and get more and more recognition.

We just gotta keep on truckin, support the sport and hope for the best
Old 04-28-2012, 01:37 AM #4
Zach-Ramirez

Zach-Ramirez is playing at Living Legends VI
Zach-Ramirez owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Zach-Ramirez supports DLX Technology
[quote=OoZoo;75343308]Never say never brah.

One of these days paintball will make it onto a bigger circuit such as the X-Games or something, and get more and more recognition.

We just gotta keep on truckin, support the sport and hope for the best [/QUOT

That is what I am saying
Zach-Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:51 PM #5
slick86

doubt it, cost too much to play to be popular, is dull to watch for most people and too many leagues. Every other sport you can go and play for free once you have equipment, unfortunately not paintball. Lastly, paintball is too an extent based on how much money your team has more than other sports.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:23 PM #6
TheHef

no in its current formats.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...6#post80475666
TheHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:27 PM #7
ghost93

ghost93 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ghost93 is for the Gunfight
ghost93 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ghost93 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Nope.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:30 PM #8
GHPBWoman

GHPBWoman has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
While I think making a luxurious living as a professional paintball player is a long ways off, that doesn't mean that you can't make a living at paintball. Those who are creative CAN franchise themselves... just look at Greg Hastings.

It takes creative thinking, a lot of hard work, and the willingness to try new things, but it is possible to generate income in paintball. And as a sport, as long as it continues to stick around there will be individuals and teams who are creative and marketing-savvy enough to make it work. Other sports that cost money to participate in like horse racing, stock car racing, motocross, skiing, snowboarding, etc. do have a select few participants who do it full time to make their living, and paintball can support the same type of play-to-earn lifestyle.

Probably not $50,000 a month... but certainly if you really worked a good angle you could find a way to make $50,000 year.

Find me at: Gearheadz Paintball
GHPBWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM #9
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
$50,000 a month?

No. Never.
People used to say the same thing about skateboarding and motocross riding.

Give it time.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 PM #10
NWilliams
UNCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoZoo View Post
Never say never brah.

We just gotta keep on truckin, support the sport and hope for the best
Still, $55,000 a month is a stretch. There seems to be a push to get paintball "mainstream," but what people don't realize is that something like that happens over long periods of time and sometimes never. Things like paintball get into subcategories where the fan-base sticks with it and, while it grows, it does not grow much. Water polo, for example. You don't watch it, I don't watch it, but out there exists a fan-base that rarely grows but is loyal. Does it need to get "mainstream"? Nope, it does fine with its independent fan base. Paintball will most likely never reach the pinnacle that baseball, basketball, and football have reached, and that is just my honest opinion.

It is like that with everything. Video games, for example, something you all understand. There are video games that people compete in that you've never heard of. Then there are other ones that everyone knows. Even then, those mainstream video game tournaments aren't know by most Americans. That's just how life is, a group of cliques and groups that all support their own causes. We may never see paintball become what other sports have become, but I fully back any desire for it to be so.

If paintball becomes the sport that many others already are I'd be right behind them all the way, but as for now I play the game happy with the people we have now playing it, and the fan-base and support group it holds. It'll always be my favorite sport.
NWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:21 PM #11
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Forget the $50,000 a month figure. Let's just say that professional paintball players can find ways of making a living playing paintball. There are many avenues to take, but the most important factor in achieveing the opportunity to do things like paid sponsorships, endorsement deals, etc... is the advertising dollars rolling in, and the public interest being high enough.

The most logical avenue for this is what the PSP is doing right now. The X-Games is also the most logical starting point for pro paintball to move towards. The exposure and interest from the X-Games would trickle down to regional leagues and local shops.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:53 PM #12
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
People used to say the same thing about skateboarding and motocross riding.

Give it time.
I would love to see proof that Skateboarders and Motocross guys make that much. Maybe the very top guys do but I guarantee you the vast majority don't. That is an insane amount of money.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:12 PM #13
JoltZero
French Fry Addict

JoltZero has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
JoltZero has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Perfect points slick and Nwilliams.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:56 PM #14
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

tlmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHef View Post
no in its current formats.
EXACTLY.

Until they come up with a format that:

A. doesn't handicap those that are truly gifted (everyone set at the same bps)
B. Is easier for the "layperson" to understand
C. Is more exciting to watch

You'll never see paintball get huge contracts because you won't have the big $$$ of broadcast rights.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:21 PM #15
xaphan
I'm That Guy

Maybe.... We'Ll see in a few years

luxe.. gona get me one of those.
xaphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:38 AM #16
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
if the average man who doesnt play the sport can find it interesting, then its a possibility, and with the new statistics you'll really know who are the stand out stars and who just takes the credit.

of all the current tourney styles, PSP has the most potential due to the webcast already being great.

overall it has the potential, but its not coming around anytime soon. although keep in mind since players arent getting huge paychecks to go out and play, the sport has more integrity since they are playing for the sport and not the cash.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:59 AM #17
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhector View Post
if the average man who doesnt play the sport can find it interesting, then its a possibility, and with the new statistics you'll really know who are the stand out stars and who just takes the credit.
So we need statistics to tell us who the stars are? If spectators can't tell the great players from the not-so-great players by watching the action, then I would predict that sport won't get much of a following.

In general people watch sports to be awed by what is possible, by the athleticism of those involved. They also like to be able to follow the action. In paintball there is too much happening at the same time in various places on the field. Too difficult to follow and lots of action to miss, even for the seasoned observer.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 AM #18
Riley Coyote
It's bad for the sport.

Riley Coyote has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Riley Coyote has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
It probably wont ever live up to your expectation of going somewhere, but I don't see whats wrong with it now.

$50,000 a month? no, but $50,000 a year would be pretty cool. Obviously you can't depend on paintball in a monetary sense, overwhelming odds says you will never even make back half of what you have payed playing, by playing. Getting involved in the industry is a different story though.

Last edited by Riley Coyote : 04-29-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Riley Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:52 PM #19
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
So we need statistics to tell us who the stars are? If spectators can't tell the great players from the not-so-great players by watching the action, then I would predict that sport won't get much of a following.

In general people watch sports to be awed by what is possible, by the athleticism of those involved. They also like to be able to follow the action. In paintball there is too much happening at the same time in various places on the field. Too difficult to follow and lots of action to miss, even for the seasoned observer.
my point was if a player was taking more credit then he deserved in a match. for the most part its easy to tell how they are doing, but how do you compare 2 people who dont play against eachother on whose better without opinions? at some point you need facts if your going to get a **** load of money for it.

imagine if a sport like hockey never had stats, it may look like a guy is doing good, but he may never actually be a part of any goals. so you could say this group of players is better then that group, but you wouldnt be able to separate the players much more from there on who should be the first guy in the draft or for all stars and who should be in after a few rounds
Old 04-29-2012, 03:56 PM #20
OoZoo
Work hard.

OoZoo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
OoZoo is for the Gunfight
OoZoo supports DLX Technology
A lot of negative nancys in here lol

Paintball will go no where if the players think negatively like this.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:00 PM #21
masterofTHUMBS
boom headshot

masterofTHUMBS posts videos on PbNation
masterofTHUMBS is an NCPA player
masterofTHUMBS supports Pev's Paintball
masterofTHUMBS plays in the APPA D5 division
I think the main issue with paintball's popularity is paint. It is an expensive yet disposable item that is required to play every time. The price of guns isn't really that much of an issue see as it is a one time purchase. I guess you could compare it to skiing/snowboarding as you need to buy a lift ticket (comparable price to paint) every time you go out on the slopes plus that one time purchase of skis/snowboard, boots, and clothing. The thing is though is that a lift ticket is directly compared to a field admission fee rather than the cost of paint. I don't know the ins and outs of the winter xgames, but I doubt Shaun White has to pay for a lift ticket to compete. In addition paintball is really only interesting to watch if you know what is going on. Football, soccer, and basketball are easy to watch seeing as there is a physical goal the team is trying to put the ball in with near constant motion, pretty obvious even if you never saw a game in your life before. Paintball is pretty static, no one is moving around constantly and even I get bored when I have to watch gunfighting for longer than a minute. One possible thing to increase action would be to increase field size. I remember the old xball and hyperball fields were humongous compared to the modern day psp field. This created a lot of more moving players which is more interesting to watch than a two dorks gunfighting for twenty minutes. Also paintball is more of a personal sport. I don't get my adrenaline pumped watching much but when I'm running down the tape gogging players that are oblivious, that primal hunter mode gets switched on, it's very emotional. The spectators don't feel that. Even playing other sports I don't feel that. I used to play lacrosse. Running down the field on a fast break with everyone else on the other team chasing you doesn't even come close to paintball even though that is more interesting to watch.

Just my two cents on spectator paintball.
masterofTHUMBS is offline   Reply With Quote