Here's a copy/paste of the story of my fail from my project thread on e90post:
Last night marked the end of the 48 hr cure period for the dye, so per Leatherique's instructions I proceeded to wetsand the seats to prepare for one final coat. It's about this time that I learned how important proper preparation is, and was reminded that no matter how much you do there is always room for more...
I started wiping away some of the dirty water from the seats and noticed that the dye was peeling in some areas!
At first I was really upset, and thought I had botched this entire project, but as I continued along and started actively trying to peel up the new dye I discovered that the problem was more or less localized to the deeper seems in the seats.
The pictures show what I was able to remove after going back and trying to peel up as much as I could. The adhesion is very good everywhere that there is still dye on the seats. This leads me to believe that this problem is an indication that I simply failed to prepare those portions of the seat properly, not because of a poor product - this hypothesis is further supported by the fact that the driver seat obviously needed more attention than the passenger seat and I prepped them in the same manner.
So, it would appear all is not lost. I decided to wait another day before going back at those areas with sandpaper and prepping agent so that I can be sure the new dye around those areas have plenty of time to cure.
For now, the plan of attack is to wetsand with prepping agent over the "bad" areas tonight, then use a small artists brush to re-apply the dye in those seams. The following day I will proceed with a full re-coat of the entire seats, and perhaps even a second. We'll see.
Either way, my schedule has been delayed, and it's highly unlikely that I will have them ready to go in the car by this weekend. Ohh well...
At least the M3 wheel I refinished has turned out well; I bought it out of a wrecked car and it was in terrible shape. I had to use crack filler in about 15 areas and spent every bit of 6 hrs across several nights wetsanding it with prep agent. Now I just need to re-finish the trim and it'll be ready to go in the car.