Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 AM #379
Iamamartianchurch

Is that test really equating preference with hatred?
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 PM #380
marcozombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
You know that: effort + popularity =/= good teacher

That being said, who cares? You've had a bad experience with X group so you are weary of them? So what? You don't like Pinoy because they don't use utensils when eating? So what? It doesn't matter.
FYI even close to getting a NBC is an accoplishment and speaks in it of itself. No shame in being a good teacher no matter how others want to paint it. I would also point out that its not just about being popular. In education, word gets around when you are a cut above the rest, via students, parents, other teachers and administrators. Generaly speaking, effort = good teacher. I would say lots of effort + knowledge in your content area + ****load of overtime = great teacher. The "+ populatrity" is normaly a bonus and comes about because of said effort.

Congrats Viking. Here's to the end of the schoolyear!

Last edited by marcozombie : 05-21-2012 at 02:39 PM.
marcozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM #381
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Please make note, I taught for a few years. While I have no experience teaching children, I understand more than most.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:38 PM #382
marcozombie

Granted. Teaching children is its own pandoras box though. At what capacity did you instruct? BTW can you pm your recipie for that sauce again? Cant remember what thread it was on (lets talk homosexuality?) Having a boil this weekend and I wanted to do some of those crab cakes...
Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM #383
vikingshadow
SCHWING!

vikingshadow is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
vikingshadow supports Team VICIOUS
vikingshadow supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozombie View Post
FYI even close to getting a NBC is an accoplishment and speaks in it of itself. No shame in being a good teacher no matter how others want to paint it. I would also point out that its not just about being popular. In education, word gets around when you are a cut above the rest, via students, parents, other teachers and administrators. Generaly speaking, effort = good teacher. I would say lots of effort + knowledge in your content area + ****load of overtime = great teacher. The "+ populatrity" is normaly a bonus and comes about because of said effort.

Congrats Viking. Here's to the end of the schoolyear!
Thanks for understanding! It's quite refreshing!

Quote:
You know that: effort + popularity =/= good teacher

That being said, who cares? You've had a bad experience with X group so you are weary of them? So what? You don't like Pinoy because they don't use utensils when eating? So what? It doesn't matter.
Absolutely, I understand that. But don't worry, I'm not into it for popularity's sake. I hate that aspect of the job, but marco makes an EXCELLENT point. Positive word of mouth makes the job a LOT easier - in that there's a lot less hassle from parents, teachers and administrators which makes it possible for me to do my job much easier.

I'm selling all my paintball stuff! Look here! My Baby! Phantom Pump
vikingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:00 PM #384
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozombie View Post
Granted. Teaching children is its own pandoras box though. At what capacity did you instruct? BTW can you pm your recipie for that sauce again? Cant remember what thread it was on (lets talk homosexuality?) Having a boil this weekend and I wanted to do some of those crab cakes...
I taught young men everything from how to kill a man to how to destroy the world to hydraulic theory and Bernuli's principle to electrical theory and advanced troubleshooting skills and everything in between. I also taught older men humility and tempered knowledge into wisdom.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 PM #385
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

SniperForce-Duffek plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
I taught young men everything from how to kill a man to how to destroy the world to hydraulic theory and Bernuli's principle to electrical theory and advanced troubleshooting skills and everything in between. I also taught older men humility and tempered knowledge into wisdom.
That humility part can be a tough one to teach. I can't teach anyone math, how to read and write, but I can effectively teach someone how to stay alive in a gun fight and maneuver, close with and destroy the enemy that stands in the way between them and peace. My ways are not always sound, and I've made grown men cry, but you gotta break someone down before you can build them up and mold them into what you want.

"May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
G.S.P
SniperForce-Duffek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:15 PM #386
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

Quote:
Off topic, I know, but did you play on GTF Corps for a while?

In other news, of the 3 articles I saw on Yahoo today about this case, one was neutral, 1 was very pro-Trayvon, and the other was very pro-Zimmerman. So it was an even split. Maybe this is a good sign?

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:31 PM #387
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
media already ruined this case as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 PM #388
vikingshadow
SCHWING!

vikingshadow is a Moderator
vikingshadow supports our troops
I'd agree with that. Seems everyone is polarized to one side or the other, which would make it very difficult to get a fair trial, I think.

I'm selling all my paintball stuff! Look here! My Baby! Phantom Pump
vikingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:01 AM #389
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

The media further divided America as far as race goes. Just breeds more racism.

G.S.P
Old 05-22-2012, 08:44 AM #390
ladd_17
bA What?!?

ladd_17 is a Supporting Member
ladd_17 plays in the PSP
ladd_17 plays in the APPA D3 division
ladd_17 is Boss
I'm relatively convinced that was the whole goal to begin with.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:44 AM #391
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!

Overbear is a Supporting Member
Ya know, "racisim"(most overused buzz word in existance) and sterotypes exist because there is a kernel of truth in them. They happen because its basic human nature, claiming someone who is "racist" is a bad person is like claiming a horse that kicked you because you walked behind it and spooked it, is a bad horse.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:59 AM #392
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
slateman is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
Ya know, "racisim"(most overused buzz word in existance) and sterotypes exist because there is a kernel of truth in them. They happen because its basic human nature, claiming someone who is "racist" is a bad person is like claiming a horse that kicked you because you walked behind it and spooked it, is a bad horse.
You mean like gay guys being really good dressers?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:08 AM #393
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!

Overbear is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateman View Post
You mean like gay guys being really good dressers?
We are...well most of us are
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:07 AM #394
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
Racism is more than simply assumptions. It's about value. What kind of world do you live in? People don't object to thinking black people like chicken. People object to systemic racism. The kind that makes black people get hired much less than white people with the same resume. The kind that makes prosecutors much more likely to give someone the death penalty if the victim is white. The kind that makes white people (who smoke more weed per capita) get arrested much less than black people. The kind that makes black people get much higher jail time for drug possession than whites.

Last edited by TheSilentAssassin : 05-22-2012 at 11:13 AM.
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:57 PM #395
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
Racism is more than simply assumptions. It's about value. What kind of world do you live in? People don't object to thinking black people like chicken. People object to systemic racism. The kind that makes black people get hired much less than white people with the same resume. The kind that makes prosecutors much more likely to give someone the death penalty if the victim is white. The kind that makes white people (who smoke more weed per capita) get arrested much less than black people. The kind that makes black people get much higher jail time for drug possession than whites.
I have an issue with your example about the work place. Two candidates who have identical resumes and qualifications are going to be chosen based on how well they relate to the employer. At that point its all preference. Choosing a worse candidate over a better one due to race can be seen as racism.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:22 PM #396
R2-D2
stormtroopers can't shoot

R2-D2 is an NCPA player
R2-D2 plays in the APPA D4 division
well then too bad. life isn't fair.
R2-D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM #397
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladd_17 View Post
I'm relatively convinced that was the whole goal to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
I have an issue with your example about the work place. Two candidates who have identical resumes and qualifications are going to be chosen based on how well they relate to the employer. At that point its all preference. Choosing a worse candidate over a better one due to race can be seen as racism.
What makes a better candidate? Different industries, different folks. One might be better suited for a job based on his resume, but everything passed that point is subjective. Gonna higher the better candidate, with a Masters, to work at McDonalds? No, he's over qualified, you higher the worse one. What if's he's black though? Then it goes from over qualified to you having a race preference.

****ty example, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

G.S.P
Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM #398
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Boston College did a study where they made 2000 resumes with the exact same qualification (except different names) and applied for a variety of jobs. 1000 of the resumes were given white sounding names. 1000 were given black sounding names. The 1000 white names were given a call back at roughly twice the rate of the black names.

You don't see a problem with that?

(Also, you do see that you ignored my entire premise to focus on one example.)
Old 05-22-2012, 02:06 PM #399
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

The media isn't helping things. My problem is that black people continue to segregate themselves. They aren't African-Americans anymore, unless they have a parent born in Africa, they are Americans. I don't run around saying I'm Czech-American, neither do you. If you were born here then you are American, whether your black, white, brown, pink or yellow.

G.S.P