Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 02:13 AM #316
$h@key J0nEZ
Pissing On
 
$h@key J0nEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Your Parade
Looking forward to the state convention Fri and Sat. I've never been to Columbus GA before. This is gonna be a fun trip.
__________________
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2012, 02:21 AM #317
frankie says chillax
...bro
 
frankie says chillax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
frankie says chillax plays in the PSP
frankie says chillax plays in the APPA D4 division
hope you get raped by squids
frankie says chillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:03 AM #318
$h@key J0nEZ
Pissing On
 
$h@key J0nEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Your Parade
How old are you? Like 12?
__________________
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:09 AM #319
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alaska
 has been a member for 10 years
Because philosophy major in Vegas, Alaska.

I had a brother-in-law agnostic who had a phd in philosophy. Dude was a prick to everyone he didn't know. When you are smarter than everyone else, there is no room for humility.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 05-17-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:22 PM #320
EPAPressure
Jobs are for immigrants
 
EPAPressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by $h@key J0nEZ View Post
Looking forward to the state convention Fri and Sat. I've never been to Columbus GA before. This is gonna be a fun trip.
There is Ft. Benning. And there are a million black people. And bugs.
__________________
"Chic-Fi-La has an awful chicken sandwich"

-Said nobody, ever.


"Originally posted by drgonzo: That doesn't make sense, the people with the most interaction and dependence on government have the most significant stakes and should have the vote if anyone. People who reject government and do not use government services should be denied the vote if anything." ^^FAIL

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: When I think geocities I think ****ty tiled background and sparkly titles. Think of a minority's myspace page."
EPAPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:33 PM #321
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
Not because of philosophy alone, which further proves my point. That's like bringing up a statistic that shows most graduate students play video games and drawing the conclusion that video games must be responsible for people entering grad school.
Or that intelligent people gravitate towards the major. School doesn't make you intelligent. It fills your head with facts, might teach you some places to apply them and in rarer cases you learn how to think.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 05-17-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:50 PM #322
Blake360
 
 
Blake360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Socal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Or that intelligent people gravitate towards the major. School doesn't make you intelligent. It fills your head with facts, might teach you some places to apply them and in rarer cases you learn how to think.
Intelligent people would have realized the crappy career prospects with a degree in philosophy, so that by itself contradicts what you said.
The real intelligent people are those who actually have skills that allow them to contribute to society and to the advancement of Earth, such as physicists and engineers.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:45 PM #323
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
Intelligent people would have realized the crappy career prospects with a degree in philosophy, so that by itself contradicts what you said.
The real intelligent people are those who actually have skills that allow them to contribute to society and to the advancement of Earth, such as physicists and engineers.
You'd be foolish to believe that philosophy contributes nothing to human society.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:48 PM #324
Blake360
 
 
Blake360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Socal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
You'd be foolish to believe that philosophy contributes nothing to human society.
What has it contributed to in the last 100 years? Everything about philosophy that anyone would need to know has already been covered thousands of years ago, which is why it's no surprise there really isn't a use for it anymore.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:20 PM #325
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
What has it contributed to in the last 100 years? Everything about philosophy that anyone would need to know has already been covered thousands of years ago, which is why it's no surprise there really isn't a use for it anymore.
So you believe then that we are at the pinnacle of human thought? Which means we have no need to learn from philosophers in order to advance since we are, in your mind, at that point?

Could you imagine if we had that attitude thousands of years ago?
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:43 PM #326
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by $h@key J0nEZ View Post
Looking forward to the state convention Fri and Sat. I've never been to Columbus GA before. This is gonna be a fun trip.
Good luck.
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:39 PM #327
Blake360
 
 
Blake360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Socal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
So you believe then that we are at the pinnacle of human thought? Which means we have no need to learn from philosophers in order to advance since we are, in your mind, at that point?

Could you imagine if we had that attitude thousands of years ago?
Yes that's correct, since we already know (and by we I don't mean everyone, more like 1%) how to think correctly, we apply it scientifically rather than just theorize and do nothing. I don't see why you would need a major for philosophy, you should be able to learn it on your own, kind of like how there's no point in majoring in asian culture for example, you could just go to asia and you'll realize you know what everybody there knows, except you paid tens of thousands of dollars and 4 years to learn it.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 PM #328
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
Yes that's correct, since we already know (and by we I don't mean everyone, more like 1%) how to think correctly, we apply it scientifically rather than just theorize and do nothing. I don't see why you would need a major for philosophy, you should be able to learn it on your own, kind of like how there's no point in majoring in asian culture for example, you could just go to asia and you'll realize you know what everybody there knows, except you paid tens of thousands of dollars and 4 years to learn it.
Philosophy has a lot more to it than simply "thinking correctly." Which by all accounts I doubt we've perfected at all. I mean read your posts for evidence of that.

I simply pointed out to you that the major does attract intelligent people. You're response is that it doesn't because intelligent people would find more profitable careers. Secondly, that philosophy contributes nothing to society. Now you are arguing that guided study of philosophy is stupid because you don't see a point in spending money for a guided study of the field. I can't argue with your emotions.

Let it also be known that I have worked along side quite a few mechanical/aerospace engineers (degree'd) and they are less than impressive. Not saying it is the rule, but I have been hard pressed to work with one under 45 who's intellect I haven't questioned. Those who have been at the game longer than myself have more to speak for it than I. From what I hear, it's looking like my experience is the rule.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:22 AM #329
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alaska
 has been a member for 10 years
Meh, a former vice president of motorola who had an engineering major was insanely smart. He could do advanced mathematical equations in his head. Even if someone was smarter than him philosophy wise, he'd still be way more cool to hang out with. He was more critical in tactical situations; however, generally he was a very good natured and friendly guy with anyone he met. You could become friends with him in one day.

What makes mechanical and aerospace engineers less than impressive to you? I honestly want to know.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:18 AM #330
$h@key J0nEZ
Pissing On
 
$h@key J0nEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Your Parade
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Good luck.
We've already made great inroads at the previous conventions. I predict more of the same.
__________________
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:25 AM #331
ladd_17
bA What?!?
 
ladd_17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Nasti 'Nati
ladd_17 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
ladd_17 plays in the APPA D3 division
ladd_17 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subterfuge View Post
What makes mechanical and aerospace engineers less than impressive to you? I honestly want to know.
He's not saying that MechE's and AeroE's are less than impressive, he's saying he's met a few guys who hold degrees in those fields who are idiots.

From one engineer to another (I can only assume you're studying/planning to study something of the sort): get over yourself. You're getting really butthurt about a simple statistic.

Furthermore, not everyone goes to college because they want to get a job. Some people simply want to learn about something they are interested in, that hardly qualifies them as unintelligent.
__________________

Last edited by ladd_17 : 05-18-2012 at 09:29 AM.
ladd_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:13 AM #332
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subterfuge View Post
Meh, a former vice president of motorola who had an engineering major was insanely smart. He could do advanced mathematical equations in his head. Even if someone was smarter than him philosophy wise, he'd still be way more cool to hang out with. He was more critical in tactical situations; however, generally he was a very good natured and friendly guy with anyone he met. You could become friends with him in one day.

What makes mechanical and aerospace engineers less than impressive to you? I honestly want to know.
Im simply saying that I've been less than impressed with the ones I've worked with and the general industry attitude seems to agree. I have no doubt that there are plenty of brilliant guys out there with these degrees.

What I find most lacking is creativity and application. These guys have a lot of information in their heads. They can spit it out real fast. When it comes time to put it to work, the results aren't what you'd expect from someone who spent 4 to 5 years studying this field.

This isn't to say they are useless and without their successes. I think its the under 45 crowd really. I mean you should have seen this cluster**** of a design that a team of Israeli engineers put together. This thing was over weight over designed and had an uncountable number of failure points.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:26 AM #333
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladd_17 View Post
Furthermore, not everyone goes to college because they want to get a job. Some people simply want to learn about something they are interested in, that hardly qualifies them as unintelligent.
Exactly. College is a great resource for information albeit an expensive one.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:03 PM #334
$h@key J0nEZ
Pissing On
 
$h@key J0nEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Your Parade
So if Romney was to somehow get elected, considering he is a Mormon, how many first ladies would he have?
__________________
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 PM #335
ladd_17
bA What?!?
 
ladd_17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Nasti 'Nati
ladd_17 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
ladd_17 plays in the APPA D3 division
ladd_17 is Boss
All of them.
__________________
ladd_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:59 PM #336
AlphaNeo36
lapping your tears
 
AlphaNeo36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 765-IN
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsung47 View Post
Ron Paul is unelctable because the voting system is controlled by the Feds. They pick up their own puppet through rigged election and justify it by fake poll. (because they also control the media.) Only one thing they couldn't control - they couldn't rigged the attendence of the campaign meeting. That's how you see in these pictures. Of course, media never report it. You only see it in Internet.

[IMG]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/hq4f5e571c.jpg[IMG]


Quote:
Originally Posted by katsung47 View Post
[IMG]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/hq4f5e571c.jpg[IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsung47 View Post
abovetopsecret.com
__________________
Overbear: better 10 innocent men be convicted, than a single guilty man go free to commit more crime.
Overbear: I prefer that I be given a license to shoot anyone who would pick socialism or communism over the basic freedoms inherent to consumerism.
MatrixBaller04 AKA EricS6661: I can guarantee something will happen between now and February 9th.
yesme: i'm not saying you should invest in gold first off, you would be much better off to invest in food,stuff you use and will keep for a couple of years, like razors
Blake360: in highschool, my teacher's father worked for the CIA and she brought my class documents proving the Roswell crash was of extraterrestrial origin.
AlphaNeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump