SCCC #4 - Feedback

Rankings:

Score Results

Places:
1.) University of North Texas
2.) University of Houston
3.) Texas ATM Maroon
4.) Texas State University

Please let me know what you thought of the event, and provide constructive criticism for my first event as director. Hope everyone had a fun day, nice meeting a lot of you.

Thanks,

Eric
texaspaintballplpaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2012, 08:12 PM #2
coltman887
self proclamed genius

coltman887 is a Supporting Member
coltman887 plays in the PSP
coltman887 is an NCPA player
coltman887 plays in the APPA D3 division
It was excellent! One of the best reffed/smoothest events we've played in. Big thanks to Alex and the Xfactor staff for putting it on, the refs, and especially all of the players/teams!

It was an awesome day today!

Keep up the good work Eric

My Old Feedback:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=333743

My New Feedback:
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=25854
coltman887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:20 PM #3
grandsporta
UTD. WHOOSH

grandsporta owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
grandsporta is an NCPA player
grandsporta has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Congratulations UNT! As UTD's first tournament, we had a lot of fun. Obviously it was a little rough for us, but we are still getting to know each other and look forward to many tournaments with you guys.

As far as criticism, I thought it was very smooth. Ref's were very nice, professional and I didn't hear any attitudes or BS from them. I think there were a couple of very lazy calls (or lack there of) from the refs but it was all fair. The mud was a bit annoying but other than that, it was great. Paint prices were a bit confusing in the beginning but that was just a communication error with the field, once that was worked out it was no big deal.

I think it would have been beneficial for all the teams to have a schedule in the future.

That's about it! Thanks again everyone, we had fun!
University of Texas at Dallas#14

UTD Paintball

Last edited by grandsporta : 02-11-2012 at 08:22 PM.
grandsporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:28 PM #4
texaspaintballplpaye

Annual Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
texaspaintballplpaye is a Paintball photographer
I had schedules for teams, I thought I had gotten to everyone.

Sorry if you didn't receive one.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:08 PM #5
fishandpaintball
Verret

fishandpaintball plays in the PSP
fishandpaintball is an NCPA player
fishandpaintball plays in the APPA D4 division
Yea the schedules didn't make it around to everyone. Not a big deal though.

For future reference, passing out schedules at the captain's meeting usually ensures all teams receive one.

Other than that, I don't have any complaints
President - Texas A&M Paintball #22

Galveston Island Paintball - Honey Badgers

HOUSTON FORCE
fishandpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 AM #6
texaspaintballplpaye

Annual Supporting Member
That was my plan but teams were running late on check in and I didn't realize they were doing it.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 PM #7
seekandestroy89

I thought it was a great event overall. Thanks to Alex and the X factor crew for running the event. Thanks to all the teams for making it out to Texas State's first event. Hopefully, in the future, there will be more events at X factor paintball.
seekandestroy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:33 PM #8
Freak36

Freak36 is an NCPA player
Freak36 plays in the APPA D4 division
The event was well run, thank you to everyone involved with running it and whoever was involved with bringing the NCPA to San Antonio.

NMT, I fell ya guys. I was on the orange UTSA line, and after we won our first game... absolutely nothing worked for us after that. For orange this was our first NCPA event, two players first ever tournament and only one practice before the event, not much to expect. Frustrating, but I'm glad we got to play.

Hopefully we can put out a line for Houston.
Freak36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:51 PM #9
grandsporta
UTD. WHOOSH

I did have a concern though. I thought sideline coaching was prohibited this season. Also, since there was sideline coaching, wasn't it suppose to be ONE person? At one point, there were between 10-15 yelling at once to players. During one of our games, I sat out and coached and we were playing Baylor and one guy from U of H was screaming over me trying to coach the Baylor players, and he wasn't even with the Baylor team!! Is this really how paintball is played now? I started playing in 1997 and it was nothing like this. Is this what we really should expect in an NCPA event? If there was coaching, I thought it was suppose to be one person.

UTD Paintball
Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 PM #10
texaspaintballplpaye

Annual Supporting Member
There is general spectators permitted on the spectating side (the snake side), that can communicate to the players just like PSP.

You can have as many people coaching, and they do not have to be roster as staff. And yes, you can expect that from NCPA, and PSP events in the future.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 AM #11
General Cole
NLD Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
General Cole plays in the PSP
General Cole posts videos on PbNation
General Cole is an NCPA player
General Cole plays in the APPA D4 division
General Cole is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
General Cole is Boss
General Cole supports Empire
I know we worked with OU because we both showed up with just five. It helps alot, especially against teams with 15+ sideline coaches doing everything against you.... Counter coaching and all. No real complaints except the field. The lack of net between the tournament field and the hyperball field led to at least one person on the dorito side being eliminated by stray paint. And the refs were nice and helpful until our last game, where they insulted one of our players, commenting on their weight in a very demeaning way and acting uncharacteristically angry toward our rookie player (who had never played out of the woods) when we asked what he was pulled for. I was also under the impression that playing on was a 1 for 1 in NCPA rules. We sent a guy up the center to try and go to take out one side and got spun on after the first elimination and shot a second and traded with a third. The refs pulled two players on the dorito side (who weren't the closest players) even though the other team attested that the move got their 3 legitimately. I'm not saying that reffing should always be perfect, but this could have gone better. And the last issue with when our runner got out can be a misunderstanding, but they had no reason to be harsh and negative toward our players (in a way that attacked them personally for their weight).
Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM #12
blackstarr03
Quack'NStack

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandsporta View Post
During one of our games, I sat out and coached and we were playing Baylor and one guy from U of H was screaming over me trying to coach the Baylor players, and he wasn't even with the Baylor team!!
Being as multiple UH players are also my Zone teammates we both benefit from extra coaches. I like to think we are all at least courteous enough not to cross the 50 onto other teams sides (even though it's not a official rule as it is in PSP) like multiple other teams were continously doing. Counter coaching makes you a giant toolbag.

Baylor Paintball
blackstarr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:56 AM #13
grandsporta
UTD. WHOOSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstarr03 View Post
Being as multiple UH players are also my Zone teammates we both benefit from extra coaches. I like to think we are all at least courteous enough not to cross the 50 onto other teams sides (even though it's not a official rule as it is in PSP) like multiple other teams were continously doing. Counter coaching makes you a giant toolbag.
This U of H person was literally trying to stand in front of me trying to be louder than me so my team couldn't hear. I was standing in front of S1 trying to talk to my guys while this dude, who wasn't even associated with Baylor was just being a tool. I really wanted to just smack him upside the head. That kind of paintball is not how it should be.

I want to add that this person wasn't even a player, he was wearing jeans and a hoodie with a U of H shirt over it.

UTD Paintball
Old 02-13-2012, 01:02 PM #14
texaspaintballplpaye

Annual Supporting Member
If you have these concerns, you really should be bringing them up at the event in regards to rules if you were unsure. Not now, for future reference. Also reading the rule book before the event, since it is posted on the post page.

I'm always happy to answer questions via email and PM's before events to cut down on lack of communication.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:23 PM #15
Killer Canuk
Dozer

Killer Canuk plays in the PSP
Killer Canuk owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Killer Canuk is an NCPA player
Killer Canuk plays in the APPA D4 division
completely off topic but was there any pictures taken at this event? if we so would like to know where so we can use it for our school news paper

Texas Tech Paintball Founder, Coach, and Player
Killer Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:26 PM #16
YouGotOwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandsporta View Post
I did have a concern though. I thought sideline coaching was prohibited this season. Also, since there was sideline coaching, wasn't it suppose to be ONE person? At one point, there were between 10-15 yelling at once to players. During one of our games, I sat out and coached and we were playing Baylor and one guy from U of H was screaming over me trying to coach the Baylor players, and he wasn't even with the Baylor team!! Is this really how paintball is played now? I started playing in 1997 and it was nothing like this. Is this what we really should expect in an NCPA event? If there was coaching, I thought it was suppose to be one person.

Like Eric said, it's not "coaching," but "crowd participation" or a "spectator side."

You can have as many people as you want on the spectator side, yelling whatever (that's appropriate...). A coach, simply put, is that one person on the non-spectator side. We usually make the spectator side a non-pits side, and nobody can talk on the pits side

Also, good job Eric. Glad everything went smoothly. You did better than my first event (everyone can LOL at me for that one). haha. You'll make a fine director.

Additionally, if anyone has noticed, Eric is the first non-brown director in quite some time. lolol
YouGotOwned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:29 PM #17
General Cole
NLD Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
General Cole is Boss
So we could have had one coach standing on the hyperball field next to the D-side?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:20 PM #18
texaspaintballplpaye

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouGotOwned View Post
Like Eric said, it's not "coaching," but "crowd participation" or a "spectator side."

You can have as many people as you want on the spectator side, yelling whatever (that's appropriate...). A coach, simply put, is that one person on the non-spectator side. We usually make the spectator side a non-pits side, and nobody can talk on the pits side

Also, good job Eric. Glad everything went smoothly. You did better than my first event (everyone can LOL at me for that one). haha. You'll make a fine director.

Additionally, if anyone has noticed, Eric is the first non-brown director in quite some time. lolol
Thanks, Amir. You made it pretty easy to transition to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Canuk View Post
completely off topic but was there any pictures taken at this event? if we so would like to know where so we can use it for our school news paper
I know who took them, but I'll let them post them when they are ready. I as a photographer hated being rushed, so when they are ready I'm sure they'll be posted and if I see the link I'll post them in this thread and the other one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Cole View Post
So we could have had one coach standing on the hyperball field next to the D-side?
No. If you're reading the rulebook make sure you understand that we're in Class AA, and not Class A. When those specific coaching rules are being mentioned they are applying to Class A, and in Class A they still have an open participation side.

As Amir stated, coaching side is determined by the opposite side of the pits. Since there wasn't a pit side, really, I deemed the snake side the crowd participation which is where the "coaching" could be carried out. That's how the events in the past have been run.

Technically counter-coaching is not allowed, blatantly. I heard a few cases of it (once to our team) but I don't think people yelling over your coaches counts as counter-coaching.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:55 PM #19
Killer Canuk
Dozer

Killer Canuk plays in the PSP
Killer Canuk owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Killer Canuk is an NCPA player
Killer Canuk plays in the APPA D4 division
about the pics no worries bout how long it takes I was just wondering thanks though

Texas Tech Paintball Founder, Coach, and Player
Killer Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:43 PM #20
.NEON.
like a lollipop

we ever get pics from this?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:36 AM #21
General Cole
NLD Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
General Cole is Boss
Good question. And I'm assuming thats Leon?