Community Focus

Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 AM #1
xlicketystick45x
Money Over B*tches

xlicketystick45x owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
xlicketystick45x is an NCPA player
xlicketystick45x plays in the APPA beginner division
shipping compressed air tanks?

never have sold and shipped a compressed air tank before. how do i go about shipping it out? any suggestions? sorry if this is a noob question
xlicketystick45x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 AM #2
Rob @ Ninja PB

Rob @ Ninja PB works for a Paintball manufacturer
Rob @ Ninja PB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Rob @ Ninja PB supports Team VICIOUS
Rob @ Ninja PB supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlicketystick45x View Post
never have sold and shipped a compressed air tank before. how do i go about shipping it out? any suggestions? sorry if this is a noob question
drain all of the air inside your tank. package it up as best as you can and ship it.
Certfied Hydro Test Facility - DOT RIN# G777
NINJA USERS CLUB
Rob @ Ninja PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:47 AM #3
xlicketystick45x
Money Over B*tches

xlicketystick45x owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
xlicketystick45x is an NCPA player
xlicketystick45x plays in the APPA beginner division
haha thanks,thats kinda common sense. but i thought if there was a specific efficient way..like i wante dto know if i had to unscrew the reg from tank itself or anything of that nature...but GUESS NOT! makes it as easy as possible! thanks!
xlicketystick45x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:33 PM #4
Rob @ Ninja PB

Rob @ Ninja PB works for a Paintball manufacturer
Rob @ Ninja PB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Rob @ Ninja PB supports Team VICIOUS
Rob @ Ninja PB supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlicketystick45x View Post
haha thanks,thats kinda common sense. but i thought if there was a specific efficient way..like i wante dto know if i had to unscrew the reg from tank itself or anything of that nature...but GUESS NOT! makes it as easy as possible! thanks!
the only time you need to remove the regulator is when you're flying with your tank on an airplane. TSA needs to be able to inspect inside the cylinder.

If you're shipping it using a standard shipping company like UPS, Fedex, DHL, etc, you just need to drain the air and ship it. Just make sure to package it up as best as you can so the bottle and regulator do not get damaged during transit.
Certfied Hydro Test Facility - DOT RIN# G777
NINJA USERS CLUB
Rob @ Ninja PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:55 PM #5
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
If you are air shipping it you have to remove the regulator still otherwise the fine package people may do it for you. And they are usually not nice.
Standard ground shipping you do not have to remove the regulator.
Shipping across the border you would want to remove the regulator as well. If you are removing the regulator make sure you wrap it seperately. It will carve up and damage the lacquer coat of your tank if it hits it during transit.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 PM #6
Open_Truth (Banned)

Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
It's funny Tabris that you mention that if it is being shipped by air, you need to remove the reg. I have shipped almost exclusively with USPS Priority Mail, with packages going from coast to coast, with a two or possibly three day delivery. Watching the tracking, they show a package getting mailed on like a Monday, going through the motions locally, until that night or so, then showing the package going through the motions on the other end on Tuesday night, Wednesday morning until it is delivered. I have never heard of anyone being able to drive a vehicle from the west coast of the US to the east coast of the US, or vice versa, in 24 hours or so. It leads me to believe that they must be flying these packages around. I have never take a reg off of a tank, nor have I ever received a tank with the reg removed from it. I may be wrong here, but it seems that tanks get flown around all of the time without the regs removed. I think that it is only on flights where there are people involved that they want to be able to check the interior of the bottle for explosives and the like. Which also seems odd to me, as they are typically an aluminum core with carbon fiber wrapping, which can be x-rayed, unlike a lead core, which would not have the strength of aluminum, but would hide things from x-rays.

Specifically, when you wrap your tank up, add extra wrapping around the reg itself, to help protect the reg from any problems, as well as the tank.
Open_Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:35 PM #7
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 is Boss
There is always a risk of them opening the package if they have suspicions or doubts, but different shippers may have different standards. But usually they do want the regulator removed for air shipping. It's alot to do with safety but also the pressure and temperature changes the packages can be exposed too.
Metal actually just shows up as a big white shape on x-ray. They wouldn't be able to see through the inner cylinder. This is why air cylinders are visually inspected, because you can't see into them with an x-ray.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

Old 04-17-2012, 02:47 PM #8
nima67

nima67 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
nima67 posts videos on PbNation
nima67 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm living in Iran and I got a Guerrilla Air tank shipped from US!

#1235 Russian Legion
nima67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:16 PM #9
Open_Truth (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris17 View Post
There is always a risk of them opening the package if they have suspicions or doubts, but different shippers may have different standards. But usually they do want the regulator removed for air shipping. It's alot to do with safety but also the pressure and temperature changes the packages can be exposed too.
Metal actually just shows up as a big white shape on x-ray. They wouldn't be able to see through the inner cylinder. This is why air cylinders are visually inspected, because you can't see into them with an x-ray.
I can see the logic in what you are saying. But I have to ask this: The air tanks that we use are based upon Scuba style air tanks. Specifically in reference to people using a tank to go under the waters surface, they are subjecting their tanks to pressure from the water, which still holding air at pressure. So how is this any different than an air tank being flown? I get the idea of no air in the tank when being flown, but if it is empty, and gets placed in an aircraft that either does or does not pressurize the cabin, and cabin pressurization is pretty low, something like 6-8 PSI, how does that affect the empty tank?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:34 PM #10
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 is Boss
They want to verify the tank has no pressure and nothing inside it for obvious reasons, mostly explosive contents.
They simply don't want the risk of a tank over expanding from the lower air pressure, as often times the package can be in an unpressurized cargo hold and in the underside of the plane. The package can also be exposed to cold temperatures flying at those altitudes which may affect the structral intregrity of the cylinder. Planes start to experience icing at certain altitudes.
This is why when flown they like to have the regulator removed. That way they can verify it's empty and it can't hold pressure. Obviously gauges break and misread as well, with a regulator off they know it can't hold pressure and a pressure change won't affect it like with a sealed cylinder that's meant to be air tight. Something rupturing on a plane is obviously a very bad thing.
There are a lot of reasons behind it. Some may seem somewhat far fetched but they do it to cover themselves from a safety aspect as well. You technically can't even fly with a medical cylinder unless you have special TSA clearance and they look the cylinder over to verify it can travel with the pressure changes.

Last edited by Tabris17 : 04-19-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:36 PM #11
Open_Truth (Banned)

Well, just a quick check, USPS Priority Mail may use air transportation. Especially when you live in Boston and you are sending something to LA. I can't say that everyone out there removes their regs to be shipped, but I can agree that tanks do need to be empty. If anything, I looked a little bit, not alot mind you, and found nothing stating that the tanks need to not only be empty as well as they can't have anything like a valve or regulator on them for shipping. If anything I found this which states the opposite:

Preparing for Shipment

Before returning, check your cylinders for the following:

Be sure CGA outlet dust caps (if supplied) are in place before securely screwing valve caps onto top of cylinders. Please note that all cylinder caps are not interchangeable. You are responsible for the care and condition of refillable and returnable cylinders while at your facility, as well as damage to the cylinders themselves, cylinder caps and fittings that occur while in your care.
All labeling or markings on the cylinders must be legible. The shoulder labels on the cylinder provided by Air Liquide should NOT be removed from the cylinder as they identify the cylinder gas contents.
All cylinders should be returned with at least 50 psig (3 bar) positive pressure to avoid contamination of the cylinder. Ensure the valve is closed during shipping.
It is important to treat empty cylinders the same as you would if they were full and use all precautionary measures practiced when handling full cylinders.

http://www.alspecialtygases.com/Rsc_...cylinders.aspx

If anything, this goes against the idea of shipping a cylinder empty. The only thing that I can find to support the idea of removing the valve or regulator is if you are flying in a commercial transport plane, like with Delta or United, and TSA specifically requires that any air tanks need to not only be empty, but the valve or regulator must be removed. Not so much because they may blow up, but to insure that they aren't packed with an explosive.

Further, per your comment about planes and not being pressurized (For cargo transports, not people transports), and the temperature, how much pressure is the ocean putting on a person who dives down 100 feet compared to the pressure from flying at 5,000 feet? The ocean exerts 1 atmosphere of pressure per 10 feet. So that means that at 100 feet, the scuba tank would have 10 atmospheres of pressure on it, or about 147 PSI. At 5,000 feet above sea level, not an unheard of height for aircraft to fly at (Mile high club and all that), it has a bit over one half of an atmosphere, around 8 or so PSI, of pressure on it. Yes, temperature can be quite cold, but so can being in the ocean.

I can't find any good, logical or scientific, reason as to why one should take a regulator off of an air tank. If anything, having a small amount of pressure, around 50 PSI, is seemingly a good thing, to help keep stuff from getting into your tank when being shipped, not flown on a commercial personnel plane, by air.