PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-17-2012, 01:00 AM #22
gruesomekyle

gruesomekyle plays in the PSP
gruesomekyle plays in the APPA D3 division
rec ballers wear alot of padding because generally they it their first time playing paintball...I have seen on kid wear a life jacket..lol But in tournament series like psp you can only have two layers under shirt and jersey. You can't wear bounce vest, 2 tshirts, then your jersey anymore. I have even see it where bounce vest are forbidden and you HAVE to tuck the front of your jersey into your pod pack.
gruesomekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2012, 09:32 AM #23
Government

Simple solution. Simunitions... Takes the cheating issue away, and makes the padding quite welcome. Then... you'll never hear things like this. Ever... " Going to have to agree with you here I'm only 18 so I should technically be considered old school, " Instead, you'll hear screams and a bit more swearing. Ramping. It will be a forgotten word as the only things you'll hear is the quiet wizzing sound of a paint filled plastic shell finding a target.

They hurt. And I'm sure the local municipalities won't exactly agree with it as a paintball replacement. Yet..
Government is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 AM #24
Matt HKD
DELIGHTFUL

I can't tell if the op is upset about this stuff in recball or in tournaments. If its recball, I've never been to a field that allows ramping, and I would be very surprised if there were even a few out there. As far as padding goes, who cares? It's recball. Kids just don't want to get hurt.

If its tournament, as its already been said before leagues are limiting layers of clothing and are even not allowing jerseys and pants with excessive padding. Ramping allows both teams to be on an even level in terms of "firepower" so in my opinion it actually makes it more fair. It's also quite a lot of fun.

I used to be with the "purists" of paintball and I too was against ramping and coaching, but after I played an actual event, 7 man will simply never be as fun. Don't judge it before you try it. And I'm not just saying playing one game, but actually try a local xball format event. It will change your mind.
Matt HKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM #25
TonsOfFun91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
One thing to keep in mind it isn't actually ramping like it used to be, where you are ramping based on how fast you are pulling the trigger. With PSP burst, which is the technical name, it eliminates the factor of being able to sit in the back and lay down paint at 15-17bps all day like the "good ol' days". It is two semi shots, then the 3rd shot is a 3 shot burst at 12.5bps. If you don't fire for 1 second it reverts back to the beginning.
It makes holding lanes a lot easier, you don't have an advantage if player A can shoot faster than player B. Also, the multiple games allows a more even game. You don't have those fluke games, the team that is better and can keep winning takes the game. It is normally a race-to-2 which means best out of 3, race-to-3 which means best out of 5 games, and race-to-X which means there is a time limit of game time and the team with the most points(one point is one game won) at the end of that time limit wins.
They also have different penalities: instead of the one-for-one where a player and a teammate at random is taken off is replaced with a time penality. A minor penalty is playing on with an unobvious hit is given 2 minutes out of the game if they win the point. If they lose then the time comes off. A major penalty is 2 minutes out whether you win or lose. Which means that you may go into the next game with only 4 players starting out.
It makes a single player actions such as not noticing a hit less detrimental to the entire tournament, however, they still leave their team with one less player. It's like anything, what you may think is "cheating" is just a mental mistake by the player, and it really factors in nicely and results in less fluke games.
A gross major penalty is assessed you out of the game for 10 minutes. It is normally for people shooting over 12.5 or shooting hot(over 300fps).

It is like pass interference in football, the penalties hurt you but they don't cost you the game(though they could). Because lets face it, you're out there, you're tired, it's chaotic, the adrenaline is pumping, you're going to make mistakes. There is fouls in every sport, right now the guys up at PSP saw that and decided on that system to keep the game fair and make the transition into an actual sport's league.
I think "mental mistakes" is a real cop out to make the game easier. At a tournament you need to be 100% there, the game is not just shoot the other players, its a mental game. You need to be able to not make mistakes after sliding diving and sprinting all day. You need to be on top of your game, I think making penalties less severe kinda makes the game easier, it also allows cheaters to get away with stuff. Mistakes, regardless of cause, are exactly that mistakes. If you are an expert in your sport, you and your team are judged by the amount of mistakes you make. So does this diminishing of penalties not make our pros a little less pro. The race to format does fine making sure "fluke" games do not happen.
TonsOfFun91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:38 PM #26
DevilMayCare
Ultra-Violent

DevilMayCare is a Supporting Member
DevilMayCare has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DevilMayCare has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DevilMayCare has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DevilMayCare has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DevilMayCare has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by molybdenum View Post
Quite the paradox. If its legal, its not cheating.
Bah, I'm trying for the nice subtle troll... and you have to ruin it by getting me.

"I will rule with an Iron fist and weed out the people not worthy" -kai83

DevilMayCare's Feedback
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 PM #27
empire112234
2k7er

didn't read lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayCare View Post
You can't legalize cheating.
this.
empire112234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:42 PM #28
tjboss
Absolute Chaos

tjboss plays in the PSP
tjboss is playing at Living Legends VII
tjboss supports Team VICIOUS
I normally wouldn't believe jersey have too much padding, but a tournament this past weekend there was a kid wearing an empire jersey, I think 2011. And it was basically a memory foam chest protector. In one point he took 25+ bounces in a row, repeatedly standing in the open because he knew they would all bounce, and got bounced by an entire lane I shot at him getting triple checked by the refs on that one because he took so many bounces. THOSE kind of jerseys shouldn't be worn. But the majority of them arent that bad.
tjboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 PM #29
Riley Coyote
It's bad for the sport.

Riley Coyote has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Riley Coyote has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
He took 25+ bounces? Seems plausible.
Riley Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:40 PM #30
tjboss
Absolute Chaos

tjboss plays in the PSP
tjboss is playing at Living Legends VII
I'm assuming it was around the. A solid lane from snake insert to the 50 seems like it would be around 20-25. Like I said I've only had a problem like that with one jersey specifically. For the most part I can usually shoot them of the field.
tjboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 PM #31
empire112234
2k7er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjboss View Post
I'm assuming it was around the. A solid lane from snake insert to the 50 seems like it would be around 20-25. Like I said I've only had a problem like that with one jersey specifically. For the most part I can usually shoot them of the field.
sounds legit.
empire112234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:02 PM #32
gunslinger84

gunslinger84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gunslinger84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gunslinger84 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
gunslinger84 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
A solid lane? That's amazing! And he stood out in the open! Because he knew they would bounce? That guy is slick. And triple checked. TRIPLE!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:14 PM #33
Addiction825
Classifieds lurker

I currently wear a 2011 empire jersey, and it has about zero padding. The hits I take in my elbows with the jerseys little bit of padding there plus my elbow pads still break.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 AM #34
pmflexxx
You best not miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjboss View Post
I normally wouldn't believe jersey have too much padding, but a tournament this past weekend there was a kid wearing an empire jersey, I think 2011. And it was basically a memory foam chest protector. In one point he took 25+ bounces in a row, repeatedly standing in the open because he knew they would all bounce, and got bounced by an entire lane I shot at him getting triple checked by the refs on that one because he took so many bounces. THOSE kind of jerseys shouldn't be worn. But the majority of them arent that bad.
pmflexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:11 PM #35
TimmyTyrant
Rope Spitter

TimmyTyrant is for the Gunfight
TimmyTyrant plays in the APPA D5 division
TimmyTyrant has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TimmyTyrant supports DLX Technology
I can max out my board very easily in semi, and as for pads I only use my pads so I don't have to have multiple knee replacements in the near future, as for arm pads, so I don't skin the hell out of my arms or get bruised the **** up, and gloves?!?!?!? Seriously they are to protect our most valuable tools and a lot of speedball players don't even wear gloves, I don't wear gloves and get criticized for do it! Pants they aren't even padded the only difference between those and BDUs are vents, less amount of pockets, a special pocket for a swab, adjustable straps and very strong material. As for jerseys it's a preference you pay more for a jersey with padding than ones without if somebody wants to have more padding than others, let them they'll just get shot even more, and probably will call themselves out because of not wanting to get shot anymore

Snake Slammer

If you don't look like you're are going to spread your wings and fly, you're doing it wrong
TimmyTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 PM #36
xXTLXx Kryptonite
"Death is a V-i-r-t-u-e"

xXTLXx Kryptonite owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
xXTLXx Kryptonite owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
xXTLXx Kryptonite has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xXTLXx Kryptonite has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Lol, I will agree that the 2012 Empire jersey has way too much padding coupled with arm pads you will look like a Michelin man.
xXTLXx Kryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:05 AM #37
NBTippy
ping pong champ

Annual Supporting Member
NBTippy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NBTippy plays in the APPA D5 division
NBTippy has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
imo if it bothers you, dont take part.
NBTippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:20 AM #38
TimmyTyrant
Rope Spitter

TimmyTyrant is for the Gunfight
TimmyTyrant plays in the APPA D5 division
TimmyTyrant has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TimmyTyrant supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTippy
imo if it bothers you, dont take part.
And that's what is up

Snake Slammer

If you don't look like you're are going to spread your wings and fly, you're doing it wrong
TimmyTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:51 AM #39
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Racso owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Racso is Legendary
My thing is that I wish I could go just unlimited semi. I can easily get to the 16 to 18bps range, and when I am in the zone, I can hit 20. Now I only do this when playing my skill level or higher in scrimmages or practice.

When it comes to limited semi, that is where I have an issue. If I just pull up to 15 bps, that is fine, but once I get over 15 bps, thats where I have an issue. If I hit 15.1 bps, since my gun is limited to 1 shot every 1/15th a second, it will skip any shots that are not at least 1/15th second away from the last one. This effectively makes it so I am shooting half of what I am pulling (when pulling over 15bps). What I would prefer is semi up at 14.9 bps, but when I hit 15 or more, to automatically keep it at 15 bps.

Then comes in ramping. There are many times when it really pisses me off. When I am snap shooting, if I shoot 4 shots then duck in, I suddenly have extra shots hitting my bunker from point blank. This is really annoying when it sprays back onto me.

As for the padding, yeah this came as a surprise to me too. But the counter point that tournament paint is fragile as hell is true too. In slight drizzle I've seen some paint break mid air, not from hitting other paint, but from the slight drizzle just wearing it down or hitting a large raindrop.
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 PM #40
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Tournament series and a lot of fields were going through a lot of trouble to root out ramping cheaters, and in the face of so many different cheater boards with hidden activation methods, they eventually just threw their hands up and went to a hard BPS cap and allowed the ramping.

It's a good solution in my opinion- I never did understand why being able to twiddle your fingers faster than the next guy was a "skill" the sport needed to reward, and there really was no good way of stopping the ramping cheaters.

I'm with you on the padding issue, though. It's gotten way out of hand in the last couple years, and as a player who mostly plays pump/stock, puts me at an even larger disadvantage.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:08 PM #41
UR A DEAD MAN APPLES
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Tournament series and a lot of fields were going through a lot of trouble to root out ramping cheaters, and in the face of so many different cheater boards with hidden activation methods, they eventually just threw their hands up and went to a hard BPS cap and allowed the ramping.

It's a good solution in my opinion- I never did understand why being able to twiddle your fingers faster than the next guy was a "skill" the sport needed to reward, and there really was no good way of stopping the ramping cheaters.

I'm with you on the padding issue, though. It's gotten way out of hand in the last couple years, and as a player who mostly plays pump/stock, puts me at an even larger disadvantage.
Being at a disadvantage is kind of the entire point of playing pump. If you're going to ***** about it not being fair then you may want to go back to semi.
UR A DEAD MAN APPLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:22 PM #42
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR A DEAD MAN APPLES View Post
Being at a disadvantage is kind of the entire point of playing pump. If you're going to ***** about it not being fair then you may want to go back to semi.
I disagree. There's a lot more to pump than just handicapping yourself. If I wanted to do that I'd just use one of my electros with a shake-and-shoot hopper.

It's never been a question of things being "fair" it's a question of them being challenging, but not to the point when it's not fun.
When more than half of my carefully-placed snapshots to players' chests, arms, and shoulders are bouncing off, it's not fun.

The other problem with the growth of padding is that players are training each other to shoot longer and longer bursts- necessary to get a ball to actually break, but this also leads to more overshooting.

You may call my concerns b****ing, but I've been with this sport long enough to have some investment, so when I think a trend can be steered one way or the other to make things better, I will. I hope you stick with it long enough to care as much about the character of the game as others do.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote