PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 05-05-2014, 04:02 PM #1
Calculon The Great

How's paintball doing in your province?

I'm curious. Here in Quebec paintball isn't doing well at all. Speedball is a very small scene, recballers are selling their gear in droves and attendance is way down. The crazy high prices are a factor, but I'm wondering how paintball is doing in Ontario for instance. ?
Calculon The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2014, 05:49 PM #2
Schmidke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon The Great View Post
I'm curious. Here in Quebec paintball isn't doing well at all. Speedball is a very small scene, recballers are selling their gear in droves and attendance is way down. The crazy high prices are a factor, but I'm wondering how paintball is doing in Ontario for instance. ?
here in BC from what i have seen there is a pretty good following. weekends most fields are usually fairly full (weather dependent) but again the cost of paint here is ridiculous since i live in the most expensive part of north america (lower mainland) so cheap field paint usually runs $140-$180 a case for rec play. The VPL (vancouver paintball league) is getting bigger which is nice to see. beyond the lower mainland im not sure how paintball is doing in the rest of BC.
Schmidke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:20 AM #3
demkyle

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon The Great View Post
I think here in Alberta the paintball scene is starting to take off in a great direction. I have noticed more fields and shops opening up and the Rec ball players and starting to come out of the wood works. Happy to say that at a normal field a case of paint will run you $80-$100 ($110 for tournament grade) and anywhere from $20-$35 for an all day field fee. So as much as we all know paintball is by no mean the cheapest sport in the world, i think Alberta is doing not to bad at all!
Vanquish
Dye Dam
Impact IR3
G6R
demkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:36 AM #4
Nahib_Stilgar

Ontario is doing pretty well...atleast the Ottawa/NCR area seems to be with about 6-7 fields here alone.

There are plenty of very nice and large fields in the GTA area as well.

PRZ in Picton ON is amazing!

Paint seems to range from $80-150.

I cant talk to speedball and the tourney circut, but the pump, scenario and magfed groups seem to be growing pretty well.

I think there are a lot of people who assume that they MUST shoot a case of paint per outing and at the current average Canadian price...that is crazy!

But more and more people are realizing that they can play a lot more paintball by shooting a lot less. In the last 5 years my home field has seen pump play grow from maybe a dozen or so guys up to a regular showing of 20-50 pumpers every Sunday. Over the same time, Magfed and Pump friendly scenarios within easy driving distance of the NCR have increased from 0 to 5-6 large events per summer and lots more smaller events.

I think Paintball in Canada and world wide is evolving...but not dying.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:57 PM #5
evilmishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidke View Post
here in BC from what i have seen there is a pretty good following. weekends most fields are usually fairly full (weather dependent) but again the cost of paint here is ridiculous since i live in the most expensive part of north america (lower mainland) so cheap field paint usually runs $140-$180 a case for rec play. The VPL (vancouver paintball league) is getting bigger which is nice to see. beyond the lower mainland im not sure how paintball is doing in the rest of BC.
You could always go to ambush on the weekends and pay entrance for like $30, and BYOP.
That's what ima do.
evilmishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:35 PM #6
kingcatnip

kingcatnip owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kingcatnip owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Its doing ok on vancouver island need more speedball though
Old 05-13-2014, 03:18 PM #7
frippers613
Out of Options

Annual Supporting Member
frippers613 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
frippers613 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
BYOP all the way!

Skorpion in MTL closing was a hit to MTL and the paintball scene. Most places in Montreal and the surroundings are crazy over priced. $229.99 for a case of paint... Mirabel Paintball give ur head a shake.

2k12 BL G6R
frippers613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:21 AM #8
Jaccen

Recballing is growing quite well down in the London and Kitchener area. I can think of 3 recball fields within 30 minutes of Woodstock. One of them is running about 3 different groups of people and around 4 to 6 games a month. KEE has one of their paint factories in London, so there's a lot of carry over from that into speedball, woodsball, scenarios, etc.

The UWL is having their only (I think) Canadian stop here at Adrenaline's field in London. The CXBL has at least 2 events at Flag Raider's this year. Viper Scenario's will have Canadian Carnage 3 at Flagswipe and Shoreline Productions will have their first North American event at Kitchener. Those are the 2 really big scenarios down here, but all the local fields have other ones where at least 100 people show.

Oliver Lang of Dynasty will likely be putting on a clinic at Crazy Bill's Paintball at the end of June and Travis Lemanski & Damian Ryan of Infamous just finished one at Flagswipe in February. Not to mention the local tournies popping up here and there not even associated with the PSP/CXBL/anything for that matter--just having fun and competing.

So, yeah, I think we're pretty good here. A lot better than we've been for a while, anyways.
Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:53 PM #9
Dover
Blaze Away All Day

has been a member for 10 years
Dover owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Dover owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Dover posts videos on PbNation
Dover is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Rec fields will always do well; selling Field Paint and basic Admission is their bread and butter.

Look up the CPPL and you will see Western Canada is rocking out the tourney scene, but it is all in Alberta.

BC has the Vancouver Paintball League or VPL, which brings out teams from Van Island

Traditionally Ontario and Quebec had a huge whack of teams but the CXBL folded ?

Orange County Bushwackers SL66 # B0033 ~ Warped Sportz Dark SL74 # D1028 ~ Swamp SLS # S2197

$h@key J0nEZ "It's not hard to justify unless you simply don't have the money and can't afford it. You can always tell the men from the boys by the price of their toys.
The SL is always the top of the line and the best paintball gun made, every year since it was first released. You get what you pay for and Bespoke parts are full of win."
Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:17 AM #10
Twiddle

In Ontario

- Top talent is dying out quick, very few good players are still playing
- MXL/RXL/RT5/CX4 is doing decent
- Local tournaments are still struggling
- Speedball byop is basically dead
- Rec seems consistent or doing better
Old 06-06-2014, 12:43 AM #11
Dklizznein
"Spoooooooon!!!"

Dklizznein is playing at Living Legends VII
Dklizznein owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Dklizznein has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Saskatchewan is quite lackluster. I work at on field, we get to play once a month or so. Also I'll add it's the only paintball in my city. Next closest is an hour or so away, and their paint is ****.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:19 PM #12
Djzapz
Aristocratic Nonchalance

I was trying to get back into the scene, I remember being able to have a good fun day of paintball for $50-60 at Paintball Mirabel here in Quebec. I'm a lifetime member (whatever that means) and a case of 2000 paintballs used to be $70 for us. A friend and I would split a case and play all day and still have some paint to bring home. $60 for a fun day, lunch and some extra paint feels like time well spent for rec. $40 was good for an evening of speedball at the Skorpion.

Now it's $113+ for 2000 paintballs so almost twice the price at Mirabel, or $35 for 500, entry still costs $10. The cost of paint doubled in a few years, so to have a $60 day you have to ration your paint. You can't properly tune your marker with 500 paintballs for the day, at least I can't, especially not this gun, I've used it once and I'm not hugely familiar with it so I'd have to blow at LEAST 20% of my paint if all went well. Splitting a $113 case means the day would end up costing at least $80-90 and that's more than a posh day on a golf course. With the Skorpion gone, I can't realistically play weekly or every two weeks. Even monthly would put a strain on my finances.

I can't bring friends on a day of paintball either, everyone looks at those prices and they die inside. $38 entry, $14 for the basic 100 paintballs setup, so that'd be a $60 dollars day after taxes with an unrealistic 100 shots. Rentals need at least 200-300 shots to have a good day of fun, and it costs $14 for every slice of 100. The next kit has 500 paintballs and cost $65 which is completely unreasonable because with the entry fee it amounts to roughly $115 after taxes. Realistically they'll spend 80-90 to shoot 200 to 300 paintballs with a Tippmann 98. It might be a fun time but the price will deter young players from being hooked, they feel like they can't afford it. And indeed, most people can't.

I'm frankly a bit sad now because I have this DM8 here that cost me a couple hundreds bucks to buy and to keep in working order, yet I don't really get to use it because the price of paint. I'm thinking that maybe I'll just buy a new pistol like the Tiberus T8.1, or perhaps try to get used to my Zeus G2, and just play games with that thing. I could easily play an entire day with 100 paintballs. But it's not as fun...

I desperately want to play paintball now, it has been a while, but there's no cheap way to do it that I know of. No reasonable option for speedball (I was never really good enough but yeah) and rec is nothing short of a luxury.

Last edited by Djzapz : 06-14-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Djzapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:32 AM #13
FrankUnderwood

FrankUnderwood has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Came across some great places I never knew of thanks to some posts in here, great!
FrankUnderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:59 PM #14
200decibels
I like to bend things....

has been a member for 10 years
At over 130$ per case at local fields, the cost is way too high to get friends involved. Especially when the rentals are 98 customs and scratched up garbage masks that fog up just standing still. $65 for entry and 500 balls is just not good enough to get friends out every few weekends.

What would get me and my buddies out more often?

1- Option to BYOP
2-At least eNMYs for rentals or something from this decade
3-at least put new lenses in the masks (#1 compaint I hear from ppl, "I cant see anything") this is extra bad because it leads to ppl taking masks off during games just to see where they are walking.

Last edited by 200decibels : 10-20-2014 at 11:21 PM.
200decibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:46 AM #15
bignick69

bignick69 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
In my local area paint can be upwards of $110 a case but if you buy the memberships u end up paying around the $80 mark. now some fields in this area charge different amounts for there memberships but kind of offer you the same prices.
there is one field in the regina area that runs eNMYs as rentals and they also seem to be the cheapest place for memberships as well
bignick69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:57 PM #16
Hitman Action Sports

paint is still $20 a bag here in Ns for the most part. some fields in the maritimes i've noticed have done away with an entry fee to try and attract people back.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:41 AM #17
SCizTheCaptain91
Ballin' since '98

SCizTheCaptain91 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
SCizTheCaptain91 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SCizTheCaptain91 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
SCizTheCaptain91 supports Empire
Up in Northern Ontario is the same.

Recballers are paying around 140$ a case, no membership. With the cost at our field, Dodge This Paintball in Sudbury, paint goes down to half price.

As for speedball, we get the friday night special of 50$ a case including entry and air all day long, for great tournament paint like the marbs.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:17 AM #18
bigrust88

bigrust88 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
bigrust88 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
recball in Manitoba is alright. we have the Manitoba speedball league as well.
bigrust88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:23 AM #19
Phuqmang

Paintball seem alive and well in the Vancouver Lower Mainland. It seems that the issues of expensive paint is the norm across Canada. Here at places like Ambush or Panther you'll pay $10.00 a hundred up to $160.00 -$180.00 for a case of 2000 on top of your $10.00 entry fee. There are a few outlaw fields around. A couple which I play on weekly that costs $5.00 - $10.00 entry and bring your own paint. Some of these outlaw fields are better equipped with better air systems. If it wasn't for outlaw fields I doubt I'd been playing this sport at all. I blow off a thousand rounds easy in a day.
Phuqmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:51 AM #20
Kbug
Dookie

Kbug owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Kbug has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Kbug supports Empire
Holy ****...I'll never complain about paying $45 for a case of paint again...
Kbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:26 AM #21
outreach
karnage

outreach helped look for balloons
outreach supports Team VICIOUS
outreach supports Pev's Paintball
outreach supports Empire
im in japan atm at school but in the okanagan and kootenays its all outlaw now, the fields have all pretty well died with sketchy buisness and stupid high paint prices. last summer i bought 10 full setups to rent out to kids and we play on an outlaw field with can tire paint :/ just how it is

OLD FEED BACK

"Originally posted by mouse87: clearly you're new, everyone knows that private label guns shoot a lot faster and more accurate"
outreach is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups