PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 PM #22
pechia22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechenia View Post
That's a good point. I think I am going to keep leaning toward the events.

I'm not putting a price limit on the mask, as I know with a mask it's worth paying for quality there.

I'd like to limit the marker to somewhere around 200 if possible. It really depends how into it she gets as she gets comfortable. Right now I'd say 200 max, and only go for something I'd be willing to use as a back up. If she starts coming out with us weekly whenever we go, then I might start adjusting that to find something that she likes. I'm also very willing to look at used. I've bought all but one of my markers used, and I know the huge difference in price this can provide.

Until we get her a mask for herself she'll have her choice between a gameface skul, JT Elite nVADER Mask or some Scott mask. Marker's shell get a chance to play with are an e-cocker, 98c, Gameface vexor, some off brand spyder thing or my 06 ego. Hopefully what she likes will help us pick what will work for her.

I'm REALLY just trying to get her excited in the game. She really enjoyed it when we went 1v1, so I need to get her over her fear of others. Up until my Paintball friends moved away (or joined the military) I was pretty obsessed with our outlaw ball. Now that a couple have come back, I know I'll be into it, so I am hoping getting some gear that's HERS compared to loaners will help her get there. Maybe giving her something that shoots ropes will give her a little confidence that she'll not just get lit up.
Good man!
Yeah it's just the fear of getting shot she has to get over. But that's what also makes it fun....

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3780437

ION, MATRIX, EVENTS, GUERILLA AIR 68/4500, HEADGEAR, JT PAINTBALL PANTS, RELOADER B HOPPER, HATS, TIPPMANN BUT STOCK

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3790927
pechia22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:40 PM #23
HaWtDog123
Sundays

HaWtDog123 supports Team VICIOUS
HaWtDog123 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
I was in the same boat as you about a couple weeks back . When I get home the G/F wants to start playing with me. Her only requirements were " I don't look like I don't know what I'm doing and I don't want to look like I try hard and not know what I'm doing". Basically she wants to look formidable but not having very complicated gear. So Simple but yet worth it for a new player.. ION. She loves shooting it and and messing with it. I didn't even have to tell her about wearing her mask or using her barrel condom.
HaWtDog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 PM #24
Headshotted
www.icd-owners.com

Headshotted has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2k2 intimidatory in great shape can be had for $130 ish.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 PM #25
Zechenia

Zechenia owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zechenia has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pechia22 View Post
Good man!
Yeah it's just the fear of getting shot she has to get over. But that's what also makes it fun....
The funny thing was, the one time we played she actually was pretty good. Moved well for a new player (didn't even have a round of not moving that a lot of new players had). On top of it she was a crazy good shot (first time she got me she hit my square in the middle of my lens).

Her excuse is just that she trusted me not to hurt her. I'm crossing my fingers she'll get into it!
Zechenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:59 PM #26
cab0053

The v3 mini should be fine. She needs to try on masks, and buy the one most comfortable.
cab0053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:12 PM #27
Zechenia

Well, after discussing it her I think we've decided to go with an Ion if we can find it cheap. She normally isn't a pink fan but she liked the way it looks on the gun (and likes that she'll still be able to be "girly").

Also, she likes that it's pretty cheap if we can find a stock used one, so she won't feel bad if she's not using it a lot. Now I just gotta find a nice pink one!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 PM #28
wangerinjaw

wangerinjaw plays in the PSP
wangerinjaw plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp 5 View Post
id say be careful on the mini. they have a nasty habit of breaking a lot. maybe an 07 ego. if thats too much an ion would definitly be something to look at. or find an 07 pmr or any of the pmr series. ions are a pain to work on
ION is a decent gun for a new player if you ask me. I just don't like the fact that smart parts is out of business. I know GOG is supposed to honor warranties and sell parts but not 100% sure on that. On the mini note, they are a hit or miss gun. I have one and it has chopped a total of two(yes two, I counted) times in the almost 6 months I have had it.. I have played with it in hot, cold, humid, rain and never had a problem. But I also have a friend that definitely has a lemon. Empire has some good customer service though. I was having trouble with my mini board so they sent me a better version for free. Definitely was impressed. Just some food for thought I wanted to give you.

Adrenalin Army AA ALL DAY
wangerinjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:55 PM #29
Shemp 5
"Agglet"

Shemp 5 is playing at Living Legends V
Shemp 5 supports DLX Technology
It's a decent marker. But I'm thinking for this guy whos gonna be working on it. Ions suck to work on. I know from experiance. They perform decent, but their performance doesn't outweigh the pain in the *** maintanence is

Mini is ****. Every single one I have ever seen has had a problem at some point. Yes I've had one. They shoot ok, far far far far from my favorite gun. I have never chopped. On any gun I have owned. Yes I've counted.

Agg Mafia/DaLuxe Mob/Ego Mafia

Last edited by Shemp 5 : 04-14-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Shemp 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:01 AM #30
HaWtDog123
Sundays

HaWtDog123 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp 5 View Post
It's a decent marker. But I'm thinking for this guy whos gonna be working on it. Ions suck to work on. I know from experiance. They perform decent, but their performance doesn't outweigh the pain in the *** maintanence is
If the OP even has the slightest idea of how to clean/lube a Ion, he's good to go. They are far from a maintenance horse. Don't listen to this OP! I'm deployed... So I can't physically be there with my G/F, I bought her an Epiphany which is basically an ION. If the maintenance is godawful, then how in the hell did I TEACH MY G/F THROUGH SKYPE TO CLEAN AND LUBE AN ION?? I taught her what to look for when it comes to o-rings, and how much lube to use. She get's it just fine. This is her FIRST paintball marker. Nor has she played yet, she shoots it all the time, and does drills that she youtubed so she can beat me .

All in all ion's are good markers for people who start out. They can also be horrible for people that don't know how to properly maintain their equipment. I had 3 Ion's years ago, when they first came out. In the year and half that I owned them. I took them apart ONCE to clean and lube, and that's only because it was raining pretty hard that day and I made paintball soup in each of them. 1 time in 1 1/2 years. I was younger and "didn't need to clean my gear" back then.
HaWtDog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:04 AM #31
Zechenia

Ya, I started in that "why would I clean and lube" stuff phase. But by the time I finished I was very consistent with it. I own an autococker, so I think if I did fine keeping that up, timing it, ect, I should be ok if the only issues are being sure I do regular maintenance
Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 AM #32
paintball king777

paintball king777 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I would say for the mask a v-force provantege.
paintball king777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:36 PM #33
Blacc Dragon
Deadbox Savant

Annual Supporting Member
Blacc Dragon donated to help Peyton Trent
Blacc Dragon has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Blacc Dragon has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Blacc Dragon has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Blacc Dragon has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Blacc Dragon has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Blacc Dragon is Legendary
Quote:
That's the biggest issue I had with the mini. Couple bad reviews from some local players.

I will look into the pmrs as well. I think the ego might be a little too pricey. I have an 06 nexus ego that I love. Maybe if there is one a tad older that's a bit cheaper. Idk. I'll keep my eyes open
Quote:
That's a good point. I think I am going to keep leaning toward the events.

I'm not putting a price limit on the mask, as I know with a mask it's worth paying for quality there.

I'd like to limit the marker to somewhere around 200 if possible. It really depends how into it she gets as she gets comfortable. Right now I'd say 200 max, and only go for something I'd be willing to use as a back up. If she starts coming out with us weekly whenever we go, then I might start adjusting that to find something that she likes. I'm also very willing to look at used. I've bought all but one of my markers used, and I know the huge difference in price this can provide.

Until we get her a mask for herself she'll have her choice between a gameface skul, JT Elite nVADER Mask or some Scott mask. Marker's shell get a chance to play with are an e-cocker, 98c, Gameface vexor, some off brand spyder thing or my 06 ego. Hopefully what she likes will help us pick what will work for her.

I'm REALLY just trying to get her excited in the game. She really enjoyed it when we went 1v1, so I need to get her over her fear of others. Up until my Paintball friends moved away (or joined the military) I was pretty obsessed with our outlaw ball. Now that a couple have come back, I know I'll be into it, so I am hoping getting some gear that's HERS compared to loaners will help her get there. Maybe giving her something that shoots ropes will give her a little confidence that she'll not just get lit up.
Quote:
Ya, I started in that "why would I clean and lube" stuff phase. But by the time I finished I was very consistent with it. I own an autococker, so I think if I did fine keeping that up, timing it, ect, I should be ok if the only issues are being sure I do regular maintenance
Take your girlfriend to your paintball shop of choice & let her try different masks until she finds the one that she likes.

As far as the marker goes, you own an Ego & Autococker (maybe even more than those two), let her play with one of your markers.

If she decides that she wants to continue with the sport, than you can buy her the marker of her choice at that point...but, she will have already committed to the sport by then.

You will save money this way, and if she continues, she will be able to tell you what she likes in a marker when choosing her next one.
Blacc Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:49 PM #34
Zechenia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacc Dragon View Post
Take your girlfriend to your paintball shop of choice & let her try different masks until she finds the one that she likes.

As far as the marker goes, you own an Ego & Autococker (maybe even more than those two), let her play with one of your markers.

If she decides that she wants to continue with the sport, than you can buy her the marker of her choice at that point...but, she will have already committed to the sport by then.

You will save money this way, and if she continues, she will be able to tell you what she likes in a marker when choosing her next one.
Right, I am planning on that. I just am looking for other suggestions since I've been outta the game a while and don't know if anything newer would work better. And it's pretty clear from her reaction to this thread that the idea of something being hers compared to a loaner is something she's really interested in. So, unless I find an awesome deal on something, she'll have a chance to play around with all the markers that my friends and I have
Old 04-14-2012, 03:24 PM #35
Galvatron
Leader of the Decepticons

^^^agreed with this guy.... let her use the ego, and you rock the cocker... she'll be hooked no doubt

but if you must buy,

Ion's are great for their price range...they are very customizable, and probably the marker most easily made to look like a chick gun... BUT, they are horribly inefficient, and even though you have scuba tanks it will still be a pain at times refilling between every game (or running out of air midgame )

i recommend a gen2-3 intimidator... a nice alias can be had for $200-$220... a far better marker than the ion... maintenance is a breeze... bob long's (BLAST) customer service is second to none...and they are extremely efficient considering...like 1700-1800 shots per 68/45 roughly

for the mask, i'd say v-force grill or profiler
MCB FEEDBACK
Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:29 PM #36
Blacc Dragon
Deadbox Savant

Annual Supporting Member
Blacc Dragon donated to help Peyton Trent
Blacc Dragon has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Blacc Dragon has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Blacc Dragon has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Blacc Dragon has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Blacc Dragon has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Blacc Dragon is Legendary
Quote:
Right, I am planning on that. I just am looking for other suggestions since I've been outta the game a while and don't know if anything newer would work better. And it's pretty clear from her reaction to this thread that the idea of something being hers compared to a loaner is something she's really interested in. So, unless I find an awesome deal on something, she'll have a chance to play around with all the markers that my friends and I have
As far as newer working better, that is subjective. What works better for me & others, may not work as well for you two. We can all, and some of us will, tell you what works best for us...but you could end up spending lots of money buying what works for us, only to find out that none of them work for you.

Let your girlfriend try all of the guns available to her, and when she is ready to play consistently, take her to your favorite paintball shop to hold all of the markers available now, so that she can decide what feels best to her.
Blacc Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:44 PM #37
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is playing at Living Legends V
Racso is playing at Living Legends VI
Racso is playing at Living Legends VII
Racso is Legendary
I know you're looking more into gun and mask right now, but something to consider is a padded chest protector. I can imagine a shot there could really ruin it for her playing with you.
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:35 PM #38
WTF is Paintball
52nd Swag Monsta Gang

WTF is Paintball is playing at Living Legends V
WTF is Paintball posts videos on PbNation
WTF is Paintball plays in the APPA beginner division
WTF is Paintball has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
WTF is Paintball has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
WTF is Paintball has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
WTF is Paintball is attending Decay of Nations VI
cant go wrong with a pink lady gun COUGH COUGH sig

*****es love pink

WTF is Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 PM #39
Yahtzy00

Mini > Ion. I had an a5, mini, ion, and pmr. Everything else was garbage compared to the mini. Mini is lighter, and I think better looking. Maintenance is a breeze, takes 30 seconds to remove, lube, and reinstall the bolt.. there's no hoses, so what else could u have an issue with?? replace battery? lol. Plus its lighter and smaller. I've been debating whether or not to upgrade to a DM12 or Luxe, but in all honesty there's no need to. I play against people with "high-end" guns and I'm shooting the same if not better then they are. SO yea mini is a great tight, lightweight marker that you can keep rocking once she decides she really loves paintball
Yahtzy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:17 PM #40
Zechenia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF is Paintball View Post
cant go wrong with a pink lady gun COUGH COUGH sig

*****es love pink
Haha, she'd probably love it... til she saw the price tag, lol
Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 AM #41
redneckballer

redneckballer supports Bob Gurnsey
redneckballer supports Sherwood Forest
redneckballer supports our troops
redneckballer has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
redneckballer is attending Decay of Nations VI
Go with a small stubby tank. Dont try to put her out there with a 68ci tank she more than likely will not be comfortable with the setup.
Vicious Fan #400
redneckballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 AM #42
Zechenia

Good Advice!

So far I'm leaning toward the following:

*2k2 Timmy or an ion (depending on price I can get em for. Ion way cheap would be worth it, if nothing more than a "starter gun", and I also like to collect loaners).
*My backup Hopper (Halo B)
*She'll start using my tank (68 ci carbon fiber) and I'll use my backup (some huge heavy thing). But def a stubby for her will be on the list
*Events Mask
*Gloves of some sort

Things I'll leave up to her:
If she wants a chest protector

I also have an old "slammer" pack pod pack I'll probably let her use, until we find out if she even needs to carry pods lol

That being said, I will have her try out all the available markers to see if she has any preferences (unless I stumble upon a super cheap ion. Once again, for nother other than it'll be a good addition to my loaner guns if she eventually moves to something else).