Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-03-2012, 12:53 PM #1
metalgearrexmgs

Beginner Question - Switching from Co2 to Compressed Air on a Budget?

So, me and a decently-sized group of kids have been getting together for the past couple of years to play some woodsball whenever we can. Since most of the kids playing are teenagers they tend to have lower incomes, so most of the guns we play with are pretty low-end with everyone using Co2 in their guns. Recently a problem has arisen during our last couple of sessions: several of the guns are running out of Co2 very quickly (as quickly as 100-250 shots) and I'm just wondering if this is a common problem with an easy solution? My gun is by no means top-of-the-line (2 year old BT-4 Combat) but I've never had a problem with my Co2 running out before at least 500 shots, and neither has my brother (Tippman 98 custom), so I'm just wondering if perhaps the problem lies with the cheaper guns they are using (not claiming mine is any better, however) or maybe something as simple as the Co2 being improperly filled up?

A buddy of mine has recommending investing in upgrading to a compressed air system with our own fill tank and everything and keeps claiming that the initial investment will run somewhere along the lines of 300 dollars. I'm pretty skeptical about all of this; I know that compressed air is definitely the way to go if you're talking about playing paintball professionally, but I worry that for our recreational games it might be a little overboard on the price (especially for some of our younger players). I just feel like jumping to compressed air when we've only had a few guns running out of Co2 early is a bit of an extreme reaction, and that this problem probably has a simple fix that we've been unable to determine due to our lack of experience.

Any advice or further questions would be greatly appreciated; thank you.
metalgearrexmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 PM #2
jimsta
NTMD8

jimsta owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jimsta supports Empire
Honestly, i would switch over to HPA, if you guys are recreational ballers, you cna pick up a brand new Steel 48/3000 tank on ebay for around $45-$50. Just a suggestion, I know nothing on your Co2 issue, as I never used CO2 for long before moving to HPA.

Gearbag sale
jimsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:52 PM #3
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
They could have leaks in the markers. Co2 cools the o-rings and marker in general because of it's cold properties, especially during rapid firing. Eventually the o-rings become brittle and need replacing.
Also co2 is very temperature dependent as well, the warmer out it is the better co2 generally is as long as the temperature stays consistent and isn't getting cold out then getting very warm out.

If you go to a compressed system you're going to need to get several bulk scuba tanks and chain them together so you can get your full fills each time. Your fill pressure drops with each tank you fill so that first one may be 3000 psi but the next may only be 2700 psi and so on and so forth. Hence why you would need several in cascade.
Co2 honestly is the cheapest way to go for your situation right now. I would look at servicing the markers first and even the o-ring on the co2 tank valve. Those get brittle very easily and break often.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 PM #4
metalgearrexmgs

I've done a little bit of routine maintance on my own marker before, but I've never taken the time to check out anyone else's marker before. What part would I need to look at specifically replacing on their guns if Co2 was leaking? Just the O-rings? I just suspect it has to be something to do with the other markers because our temperature is usually a consistent 80 when go out and play in the mornings. As I said before, my marker has never had a problem with running low on Co2 prematurely, so I just have a huntch it's some flaw with a few of the other markers.

So look into replacing the O rings on the markers?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:15 PM #5
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 is Boss
I would start with that. Chances are if they players are younger and inexperienced they're not doing maintenance on the markers at all.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

Old 04-03-2012, 06:29 PM #6
metalgearrexmgs

I know for certain that they do no maintance what-so-ever on their markers, so yeah. I'm assuming if the O-ring isn't the issue then it's going to wind up being something that's much more complicated?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:04 PM #7
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 is Boss
All and all it shouldn't be too complicated. Really just need the manual for each marker, o-rings, tools/lubes, and the proper time to sit down and tech each one.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:57 AM #8
paintintexan

has been a member for 10 years
I'd try putting some drops of paintball oil in their guns' asa's, and only use pball appoved oil. The only other non pball oil ive ever used when i was younger that worked was RemOil gun oil bc its rated to -20* to 500* or something like that. Its def a leak and CO2 is very harsh on o-rings with the temperature changes it creates. If they still seem to have a leak between all of them, then its time to replace the o-rings which really should be done anyways. Theres plenty of websites that offer oring kits specific to their guns, and if you guys have mostly the same guns then just get a big kit and split the cost.

To answer you other question, HPA would be alot easier on your guns' orings but a basic tank will only give you about 500 shots like your 9oz CO2 tanks. If bought seperately, itll cost you about $35-45 each depending on the website. On ebay there are packages that sometimes make it cheaper if you buy 5 at a time. Ansgear currently their name brand tanks for $40. I hope all of this helps, and if you have anymore Q's you are welcome to PM and Ill try my best to answer them.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:53 PM #9
Open_Truth (Banned)

Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Going to HPA isn't going to be the fix route for you. As Tabris has been saying, look at the maintenance. That is going to be the biggest issue why they have not been getting as many shots from the tank.

Also, what size tank are they and you using? If you are using 9 ounce tanks, you are going to get less shots than 20 ounce tanks. This will also be the case if you go with HPA.

As Tabris mentioned, you will want more than one tank. I was on a team a long while back, that we used scuba tanks for filling our HPA tanks. I had two, another guy had two, and a third guy had two. We ran them one after the next. Remember, as you take air out, the don't so much lose the volume as they lose the pressure. So the first tank might get a full 3000 PSI fill, but the next won't. And at some point, the bottle will run down to around 1500 PSI, sooner rather than later. So a second bottle is needed to get closer to a full 3000 PSI fill.

Also, there is the weight and transportation involved. Scuba tanks aren't small and light. They are larger and heavy. That means that you need to take them home after every day of play. If you guys don't have cars to get from home to your field, then getting them home is going to be a real pain. Literally and figuratively.

Having two or three 20 ounce CO2 tanks will get you way more "bang for your buck" than spending as much as it will cost for HPA.
Open_Truth is offline   Reply With Quote