Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-07-2012, 10:07 PM #1
Dr.Chocolate

Fog Proofing your Masks

I personally already have a dye i4 so i don't worry much at all about my mask fogging. But some of my friends who are just sorta into paintball, have crappy masks. Is there anything they can do to stop their masks from fogging?
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 PM #2
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

I have this problem as well, since my face sweats a lot.

I'm going to pick up a FogDoc kit from ANS and try it out.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:02 PM #3
Bad71
.... from the ashes

Bad71 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Bad71 plays in the APPA D4 division
Bad71 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Bad71 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Look on eBay for a mask fan kit from a company called FANZ out of canada. I installed one in a JT Elite mask when I first started playing seriously, and it was the best $40 I'd spent up til that point.
The kit is totally universal and will fit into any mask with vents in the forehead. It's 2 small CPU style fans, that run off a single 9V battery in its own case that, I personally, velcroed to the strap. they work great and the battery life is good too. Quiet operation, easy to install, and the battery case didnt weigh me down. After a few matches, I forgot it was there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110313369965...#ht_2065wt_932

Bad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:18 PM #4
jweav151

Rain X anti fog. Like $5 in the automotive department of walmart.
jweav151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:51 AM #5
soccer72727

soccer72727 is an NCPA player
soccer72727 plays in the APPA D4 division
When my friend had fogging problems he just cut out a couple of the slats from the top of the mask to make it vent more. he also took off the visor. the slats on the top are important still to keep paint out of the eyes but if you only cut one here and there, it doesn't make the holes big enough to be dangerous.
soccer72727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:58 AM #6
i8somepie
Michael Pasztor

Annual Supporting Member
i8somepie is an NCPA player
i8somepie plays in the APPA D5 division
FogDoc.

Underground Sports - Underground Army
The Best DYE dealer in NE Ohio

YetiPB.com - The only place you'll ever need, ever
i8somepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:52 PM #7
Mach1nE
NY Assassin

Mach1nE owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Mach1nE has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mach1nE has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mach1nE has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweav151 View Post
Rain X anti fog. Like $5 in the automotive department of walmart.
Completely agree. It's cheap, and easy to find.
Mach1nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:44 AM #8
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
you can also upgrade to a thermal lens, but at that point you should just get a new mask... v force sell their vantage at 30 bucks and its the only mask ive seen around that price that doesnt fog; if they dont have much money thats a good investment
Old 04-10-2012, 02:07 AM #9
xer0 ph0kus

xer0 ph0kus owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
xer0 ph0kus has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Please don't buy Fogdoc from a paintball store, it is so expensive compared to what you can get elsewhere. Buy any window cleaner with anti-fog in it, car window cleaners usually do the trick. Like Jweav said Rain X is good and won't damage your lenses.
xer0 ph0kus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 AM #10
stupiddogg
I see bunkerd people.....

Annual Supporting Member
stupiddogg is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
stupiddogg works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by xer0 ph0kus View Post
Please don't buy Fogdoc from a paintball store, it is so expensive compared to what you can get elsewhere. Buy any window cleaner with anti-fog in it, car window cleaners usually do the trick. Like Jweav said Rain X is good and won't damage your lenses.
Window cleaner typically have harsh chemicals and alcohol......Not the best for your poly-carbonate lens'. FogDoc is all natural and will not hurt your lenses, also a jar, which is 5.99 will last longer than a year of normal use if not 2, I guarantee your bottle of windex/rainex/etc will not.

that breaks down to pennies per application

Cheers,
D

stupiddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 AM #11
azhector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupiddogg View Post
Window cleaner typically have harsh chemicals and alcohol......Not the best for your poly-carbonate lens'. FogDoc is all natural and will not hurt your lenses, also a jar, which is 5.99 will last longer than a year of normal use if not 2, I guarantee your bottle of windex/rainex/etc will not.

Cheers,
D
yeah windex can completely scratch and mess up your lens, you might as well make an extra buck or 2 investment and make sure you get the better, safer product
Old 04-10-2012, 11:28 AM #12
Splathappy
Doom! Doom! Doom!

Annual Supporting Member
Splathappy is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Splathappy is playing at Living Legends III
Splathappy is playing at Living Legends V
Splathappy is playing at Living Legends VI
Splathappy posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhector View Post
you can also upgrade to a thermal lens, but at that point you should just get a new mask... v force sell their vantage at 30 bucks and its the only mask ive seen around that price that doesnt fog; if they dont have much money thats a good investment
This is the best suggestion so far, a good thermal lens is the best way to keep your goggles from fogging, everything else can help but leads to all sorts of issues, the antifog wears off, it can damage your lens, its not as effective in all conditions, so on and so on. You should also never skimp on your goggles, its the most important piece of safety gear you own. But if you want good goggles with thermal lenses, and want to keep the cost down, more so then the "V-force vantage" I always suggest the "Invert Helix'

in back
http://www.ansgear.com/Invert_Helix_...ermalblack.htm

in Olive
http://www.ansgear.com/Invert_Helix_...ermalolive.htm

right at $30 they are a solid hard plastic goggles that use the same thermal lens as the empire e-vent line, and unlike V-force the thermal lenses are pretty common and widely available.

We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How
long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about
something real?
- Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451, 1953
Splathappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:38 AM #13
xer0 ph0kus

xer0 ph0kus owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
xer0 ph0kus has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupiddogg View Post

Cheers,
D
Just make sure the product is plastic safe. I suppose you could go out and spend the money on the product, it probably is pennies per application. However I already have anti-fogging products at home that are combined with something I use so it's just easier for me to use what I have.

Make sure whatever you use to clean your lenses doesn't have ammonia though, it'll strip the anti-fogging right off.
xer0 ph0kus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:22 PM #14
Tim05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad71 View Post
Look on eBay for a mask fan kit from a company called FANZ out of canada. I installed one in a JT Elite mask when I first started playing seriously, and it was the best $40 I'd spent up til that point.
The kit is totally universal and will fit into any mask with vents in the forehead. It's 2 small CPU style fans, that run off a single 9V battery in its own case that, I personally, velcroed to the strap. they work great and the battery life is good too. Quiet operation, easy to install, and the battery case didnt weigh me down. After a few matches, I forgot it was there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110313369965...#ht_2065wt_932
Might have to look into this I have Vforce grillz so they don't "fog" but I sweat a lot which creates condensation on the lens. Think this might help with that a lot.
Tim05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:05 PM #15
azhector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splathappy View Post
This is the best suggestion so far, a good thermal lens is the best way to keep your goggles from fogging, everything else can help but leads to all sorts of issues, the antifog wears off, it can damage your lens, its not as effective in all conditions, so on and so on. You should also never skimp on your goggles, its the most important piece of safety gear you own. But if you want good goggles with thermal lenses, and want to keep the cost down, more so then the "V-force vantage" I always suggest the "Invert Helix'

in back
http://www.ansgear.com/Invert_Helix_...ermalblack.htm

in Olive
http://www.ansgear.com/Invert_Helix_...ermalolive.htm

right at $30 they are a solid hard plastic goggles that use the same thermal lens as the empire e-vent line, and unlike V-force the thermal lenses are pretty common and widely available.
well they arent quite thermal, i believe their thermal dipped; but their the only company that does it without it coming off in like a month. i gave my old vantage to my dad and hes had 0 fogging problems with them, and since he doesnt play much thats all he needs for a mask
Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 PM #16
XxCubakkaxX
Topgun/Allstar player

XxCubakkaxX plays in the PSP
XxCubakkaxX plays in the APPA D4 division
XxCubakkaxX has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
shaving cream, not the gel kind. the dollar store foam kind. it really works

i usually tell new players that before they buy a new gun or start goin crazy buying gear and guns and upgrades to invest in a quality mask

START FAST, FINISH STRONG
XxCubakkaxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 PM #17
azhector

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxCubakkaxX View Post
shaving cream, not the gel kind. the dollar store foam kind. it really works

i usually tell new players that before they buy a new gun or start goin crazy buying gear and guns and upgrades to invest in a quality mask
does it last long? sounds pretty interesting
Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 PM #18
Dr.Chocolate

I have also heard that spitting on your less (unless you just ate a candy bar) work, or scrubbing it with toothpaste works? Is this true does anyone know?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 PM #19
i8somepie
Michael Pasztor

Annual Supporting Member
i8somepie is an NCPA player
i8somepie plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhector

does it last long? sounds pretty interesting
Usually as long as the moisture doesn't get to it or you wipe it off after it gets wet again. You may need to reapply as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Chocolate
I have also heard that spitting on your less (unless you just ate a candy bar) work, or scrubbing it with toothpaste works? Is this true does anyone know?
Spit could work. Lots of divers say to hock a lugee into your diving mask and wipe it out to help prevent it from fogging. Toothpaste as long as it doesn't have an abrasive, could also be used. Dish soap and shaving cream also work very well.

What they all do is create a film on the lens that prevents the moisture from sticking and then fogging. I've had issues with soap getting into my eyes from it but it does work. Lol.

What you do for instance with soap is apply it in a drop or two on the inside of the lens. Then taking a soft nonscratching cloth, rub the soap or whatever without water or anything over the lens until it clears up without smears.

I still prefer FogDoc. The stuff works and I've found myself using it to even clean some of my gear off like my markers.

Underground Sports - Underground Army
The Best DYE dealer in NE Ohio

YetiPB.com - The only place you'll ever need, ever
i8somepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:24 PM #20
Ctop10
Spray and Pray

Ctop10 is playing at Living Legends VII
Ctop10 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Ctop10 is an NCPA player
Ctop10 plays in the APPA D4 division
Everyone here is dead on, thermal lenses or cheap anti-fog spray. I ref at two different fields and we have tons of anit-fog for our rentals and groups. People who own and run fields are typically great people from my experience; so maybe if you asked the refs at your field if they have some you could use they'd let you get some. Just my thoughts...
Old 04-12-2012, 11:00 AM #21
baconquilt

your spit
baconquilt is offline   Reply With Quote