PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-04-2012, 12:01 PM #1
GetInTheVan

GetInTheVan owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Lifting weights DOES help Paintball

After reading a few posts in here, I've found people saying lifting weights isn't necessary to get better at playing paintball. I can't help but to disagree with this.

Weight training will help you in numerous ways throughout your paintball career. Don't limit yourself to a few calisthenics like pushups, situps and lunges. It is extremely important to strengthen your muscles evenly, so you avoid any muscle imbalances, which in the long run could do more harm then good. When you are crouching behind a smaller bunker, you are using your core, legs, and back to maintain posture and help you stay in the game. Introduce some compound lifts into your workouts and you will find that you are able to maintain better form behind bunkers, fatigue far slower, and might even find you will be able to stay in the game a bit longer than usual

People have this absurd thought that by lifting weights you are going to get as big as body builders and power lifters which they feel would ruin their ability to play paintball. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are wrong! Those guys have spent years creating their bodies, dedicating their lives to these sports. So do not be afraid to go do some squats or deadlifts to strengthen your bodies, you really would be doing yourself a lot of good by introducing weight training into your routines.
GetInTheVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM #2
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
No, they are saying bicep curls, situps, and pushups as your only exercise isn't going to get you great results. Instead saying you should concentrate on your legs, back, and cardio.

Not everyone has a full gym in their living room and many people may not have enough disposable income to go to a gym every day. So, you have to keep the exercises simple, requiring as little gear as possible.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:10 PM #3
docbiddy
iBlastfools

docbiddy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
docbiddy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
docbiddy plays in the APPA D4 division
docbiddy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
truth. maybe post up some good workout examples with weights?
docbiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:29 PM #4
GetInTheVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
No, they are saying bicep curls, situps, and pushups as your only exercise isn't going to get you great results. Instead saying you should concentrate on your legs, back, and cardio.

Not everyone has a full gym in their living room and many people may not have enough disposable income to go to a gym every day. So, you have to keep the exercises simple, requiring as little gear as possible.
I wanted to post something like this partly because of some of what you said in your post. I like where you were coming from with your workouts to strengthen lower back and under-developed parts of legs, but some of what you said, and I do not want to step on anyones toes, was wrong.

The back is comprised of some of the largest muscles in the body, and by no means does working them out cause back pain / injuries, unless you practice careless form when training. It is very important for people to do exercises to strengthen their backs when they are young, and continue to do so as they age to alleviate/remedy complications often experienced later in life.

When I say it is important for people to do exercises to strengthen their muscles, I do not mean you should be trying to deadlift and squat 2x your body weight or anything like that because that does not fit everyone's goals. Simple exercises like back extensions as you mentioned are very simple, easy, and effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbiddy View Post
truth. maybe post up some good workout examples with weights?
Everyone's goals with weight training are different, but generally it can be divided into endurance / hypertrophy / strength routines.

The most effective routine for beginners however would be something that preaches frequency>volume in workouts, so full body routines would be a very good start for most. With these workouts, you focus on compound lifts, like squat, deadlift, bench, over-head press, bent over rows, etc. These lifts target more than one muscle group, and the workouts can be performed in a short amount of time (30-60 minutes).

For those who cannot afford a gym membership, or an at home gym, it's obvious not all of this would be possible for you. There is only so much you can do from home without the proper equipment, but body weight squats, push ups, pull ups, core exercises etc. are better than doing nothing at all.

Last edited by GetInTheVan : 04-04-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:23 PM #5
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Have you seen this thread?

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3750737
Old 04-04-2012, 03:30 PM #6
GetInTheVan

Quote:
Yes I skimmed through most of it. I like a lot of things posted in there, but like anything else there is still more that can be said or done to help each individual
Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM #7
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetInTheVan View Post
Yes I skimmed through most of it. I like a lot of things posted in there, but like anything else there is still more that can be said or done to help each individual
Why don't you add to it? If you post a workout routine in there with weights and stuff I will add to it.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:21 PM #8
GetInTheVan

Quote:
Why don't you add to it? If you post a workout routine in there with weights and stuff I will add to it.
Sure thing.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:21 AM #9
Validus28

You have to be pretty strong to lift your gun up. So yes, u should lift
Validus28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 PM #10
GetInTheVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Validus28 View Post
You have to be pretty strong to lift your gun up. So yes, u should lift
Strongsarcasmisstrong.
Go do some squats and tell me in a month how much it helps.