mrspeeddemon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mrspeeddemon supports Team VICIOUS
mrspeeddemon has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
mrspeeddemon supports Empire
Official scores are in from our opening day of league play

Highland Hooligans: 390pts averaging 65pt/game
Special Elite Spetsnaz: 360pts averaging 60pt/game
Big Sky Fury: 260 pts averaging 43.3pt/game

The games went off pretty trouble free and we learned a few things that will make things smoother for the future games

Thanks to everyone that participated and helped out!

Si vis pacem, para bellum
, if you want peace, prepare for war
mrspeeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:41 PM #45
egopaintslinger

The day of play in whole was a great success three teams showed up and played along with reffing and all went pretty smooth and hats off to the TE crew for the good job on the air,paint and the extra crew they provided for the event it made it a trouble free day of enjoyment
egopaintslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:33 PM #46
ACESn8s
OH YEAH!

I have heard that your event went well with the exception that one team did not show, and when teams played they played the same team back to back for a series of games. With what I have heard, I have a few suggestions going forward:

Cost:
-Set a fixed cost per player (ie $15 ea) or straight entry cost of $75/team
(I recommend the per team fee, because it will be on the teams on how they balance their cost based on playing time).
-You can include a pre-purchase savings on paint (ie, $45 for $50 case of paint for pre-purchased paint).
-Add a preregister savings on entry ($10/player or $50/team) with a deadline one week before the event. If you run 3 events you could have an entry for all three events like $125 (save $100 from day of entry for all three). This will help generate initial capital that can be used for a little bit of flyer printing or banners, and will help lock in some teams early. Having locked in teams will get wishy-washy teams to commit more.

Format- you already played the one format that allows different scoring for the different type of markers used. I suggest that you try modified WTL rules on the next event, and see what the teams found more fun.

Schedule- Set a day in late May or early June as your next scheduled day (ie June 9th) If you are running a series set all your dates as early as possible. I recommend just running a few individual events with no series prize for this introductory year. I suggest that you set the date on a Saturday since your Sundays are your open play days and you avoid running into that play. But if this is a conflict for you, then run it on Sundays. Plus Saturday is a more convenient day for an event (long distance travelers travel to the event on Friday evening, play Saturday and get home late Saturday night. Then they get to sleep in on Sunday before heading back to work/school).

Prizes- Trophies for the events are more than sufficient. With the low price you are running, a Trophy is even a little elaborate.

Advertising- Create an event on Facebook, make a digital flyer posted to your website, and use all these links to reach the public. There are about 3 or 4 paintball groups on Facebook from around Montana that you could share the link with, plus you have any followers share the event. Between Facebook and PbNation you should be able to reach plenty of people to run a 10 team event. And a 10 team event can be done in one day with every team getting 8 games or more. I played in an event in Billings one year that was triple round robin with 10 teams total. Each team played 27 games. We were done around 6 pm.

Reffing- You should have at minimum one person dedicated to reffing the entire day/event. This person will be the Ultimate Ref that has final say. If someone wants to argue a call or whine, they can be excused from the event. I used this policy with the Ressler Toyota Paintball Cup that had a total of one on field incident in 4 total tournaments. If you use the event participants to ref, avoid placing only one team on the field reffing. This will avoid a team claiming that another team that is reffing screwed them with a call.

If anyone likes what I suggest, post a thumbs up or something. If someone dislikes a portion of what I posted, quote that section, and let's hear your idea. I know that with the right leg work, the next event could be 8 or 10 teams. Take a few pictures on those days, and send them to the paper (or better yet, give the paper a heads up, and you can get a small article about it. A group of us had an article in the Bozeman just by making a phone call and taking some pictures).

Also Dustin, as I have said multiple times, I am here to help. I can generate a schedule and will help spread the word once you have your next day planned. Don't be afraid to utilize the years of event experience available to you.

Last edited by ACESn8s : 04-30-2012 at 02:41 PM.
ACESn8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 AM #47
mrspeeddemon

Hey guys thanks for the advice(constructive critisizm) and I'll take this all into account. The issue about the team not showing up wasn't the fault of the team but a third party who mis-heard some info and relayed to the team in question. They were all ready to play and even came out and hung out that day. We will have a few changes to make but I think for now we are going to stick with the format we have in place. It is design to be as simple as possible and I think it worked out pretty well. We will plan the next event for May- either the weekend of the 19/20 or 26/27. We can do a saturday if we have teams that would rather do that- after all that is the point of this system is to work with everybodies schedule. For prizes we may do trophys but most everybody seems more interested in the idea of a "woodsball league" t-shirt for all who participate. Just like everything else we're not doing this to make money but rather promote the sport as a whole. Plus we have alot of our vendors committed to hook us up with some swag that we'll distribute between the teams (it may just be shirts or hats or who knows).

Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 AM #48
ACESn8s
OH YEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeeddemon View Post
...I think for now we are going to stick with the format we have in place...
I guess my question is, are you open to having more teams play on the given day? I have decided that less than 5 teams I am not going to make the 8 hour drive one way to play, but if there is 5 or more teams I will be there (except for Memorial Day weekend). If I can't justify going, I can't justify asking all the other people I have talked with to show up.

Also, you can ask anyone that played, the Ressler Toyota Paintball Cup was the simplest series thrown possible. Event winners came away with trophies, series winners came away with Ions, and EVERYONE received a t-shirt. I think Shawn might still have shirts to give out.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:51 AM #49
egopaintslinger

I will agree with Duane as to having more teams to play the time line of the games could be adjusted to 10min games and with more teams you wouldn't have the waiting in between games for reloading and reairing and you would have a reffing team available with a team on deck as the other teams are playing with that said if a spot is available the weekend of the 26/27th would be good for bsf
egopaintslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:39 AM #50
mrspeeddemon

the next league day will be the 20th

Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 AM #51
ACESn8s
OH YEAH!

Big Sky Fury is still trying to determine the logistics to get a team together...

Also, I have been trying to contact other teams to get them interested.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:11 PM #52
mrspeeddemon

Next league date is June 17

Old 09-13-2012, 12:10 PM #53
WTL

Thanks ACESn8s for helping us with reffing and the positive comments about our league! Great job mrspeeddemon on creating your league and promoting our sport. I'm glad to hear all went well. We only do ours twice a year and it's a one day event. Before we created the WTL we asked the players what they wanted in a league. Ours is completely player driven event. If a player has an idea, we will bring it up to the teams and if fly's we will integrate it into the rules. One thing i can tell you, you have a lot on your plate, let the players help you to run the event. Our next event will be in Arizona on Saturday October 27th, at Fighter Town in Surprise AZ. It would be cool to meet you and have you and your team enjoy our event. All the best with your future events.

David REAPER Justin
President
WTL
Woodsball Tournament League
www.facebook.com/woodsball

Last edited by WTL : 09-13-2012 at 12:12 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups