knight2530
NoVA and JMU Paintballer

knight2530 posts videos on PbNation
knight2530 supports Pev's Paintball
knight2530 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
knight2530 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
knight2530 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Trracer or SL-68?

I'm looking into getting into pump , and I have my eyes set on buying either the Trracer or the SL. Which do you guys prefer? I am not willing to spend a lot so these are my two choices. Thanks!
White Profilers w/mirror lens
Mechanix gloves
RAP4 ACU harness 4+1
24oz tank w/ remote
knight2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2012, 10:11 AM #2
kendakilla
Army Black Knights

kendakilla owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kendakilla is an NCPA player
kendakilla supports Pev's Paintball
kendakilla plays in the APPA D5 division
I would choose the trracer simply based on the fact that you can change barrels.

the sl68 II is a solid competitor as well as it is rock solid as any tippmann should be. If you do not care about aftermarket barrels or mil-sim add-ons the tippmann is the way to go for simplicity and reliability.

I personally take the trracer based on ergonomics, pump stroke, adaptability, and that i can put my own barrels on it.

generally personal preference in this category.

"It's not brain science...It's simple" ---Bob Long
kendakilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 AM #3
knight2530
NoVA and JMU Paintballer

Sounds great. I'm gonna put the extreme age 100 round hopper on it, and a 12oz tank with a butt plate.
Mechanix gloves
RAP4 ACU harness 4+1
24oz tank w/ remote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:50 PM #4
kendakilla
Army Black Knights

i dont think youll be disappointed

Old 03-30-2012, 02:34 PM #5
masterofTHUMBS
boom headshot

masterofTHUMBS posts videos on PbNation
masterofTHUMBS is an NCPA player
masterofTHUMBS supports Pev's Paintball
masterofTHUMBS plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight2530 View Post
Sounds great. I'm gonna put the extreme age 100 round hopper on it, and a 12oz tank with a butt plate.
You may want to get a 13ci (or any other size) hpa tank instead of CO2. It will be cheaper in the long run plus your shots will be more consistent, something you will want when playing with limited ammo.

Last edited by masterofTHUMBS : 03-30-2012 at 02:38 PM.
masterofTHUMBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:10 PM #6
DooPA
Old School

has been a member for 10 years
Traccer
DooPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:31 PM #7
cab0053

Trracer with a bottom line kit
cab0053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:44 PM #8
jach707

Use HPA which ever marker you choose, both are good guns.
jach707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:02 PM #9
knight2530
NoVA and JMU Paintballer

I already own a 12oz tank though, and the 13/3000 is 60 bucks and it says you only get 100 shots/fill.
Mechanix gloves
RAP4 ACU harness 4+1
24oz tank w/ remote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:09 PM #10
knight2530
NoVA and JMU Paintballer

The field I go to also has unlimited air for both CO2 and HPA for walk-ons
Mechanix gloves
RAP4 ACU harness 4+1
24oz tank w/ remote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 PM #11
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

After owning both, I'd definitely say go for the Trracer, but as others have said a bottomline kit is a MUST.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:24 AM #12
masterofTHUMBS
boom headshot

Yeah, if you have unlimited for both then don't worry about it. Not many places I know do unlimited co2.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:22 AM #13
dynamomark
BallzOut Paintball

dynamomark owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
dynamomark supports our troops
the trracer w/ bottom line kit powered by a 13ci tank is freaking badass. small and light. i used a barrel sizer and a 14in cp barrel and it was pretty sweet. the auto trigger was nice if you wanted to. for the hopper i used a 100 ball extreme rage multi cal or a proto primo and had no problems with either.

I have a cocker pump and i still would dare say that I prefer the Trracer over it in most cases.

][nvert Mini / Infinity Legend / ICD B2K4 w/ pds / Tippmann A5 / 2011 Mokal Aura / Spyder Advancer / GI Micro50 / Spyder Imagine / WGP Outkast Pump / WGP Prostock / DP E1 / Azodin Kaos
dynamomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:57 AM #14
BassDude

Trracer with bottomline all the way.
I had one with a 13/3000 and 50 round APP Lock Lid hopper. Small, tight, and that thing shot darts. Highly recommended.
BassDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:54 PM #15
Kbug
O.M.G.

Kbug owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Kbug supports Team VICIOUS
Kbug has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Kbug supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight2530 View Post
The field I go to also has unlimited air for both CO2 and HPA for walk-ons
Over time though, co2 will ruin your gun. Hpa is more expinsive, but also better for your gun because it's cleaner, doesn't freeze, and it is much more consistent. If you don't want a 13ci since they are pretty small, look at getting a 48/3000 hpa tank. They are heavy but cheap. If you are willing to spend more money though, I'd recommend something like a 45/4500 carbonfiber hpa tank. You can find then in good condition used for about $80-$100 in the b/s/t

Kbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:04 PM #16
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbug View Post
Over time though, co2 will ruin your gun.
Nonsense.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:40 PM #17
Lungorthin
War Cult Supremacy

Annual Supporting Member
Lungorthin owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Lungorthin owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Traccer. I have one and I love it. So much fun to use, Easy to maintain.
Lungorthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:47 PM #18
dynamomark
BallzOut Paintball

dynamomark owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
dynamomark supports our troops
Quote:
Over time though, co2 will ruin your gun.
so i guess the 10 year old tippy and spyder that i used co2 with for 7+ years and never needed an o-ring change are ruined?
please, get your facts right.

][nvert Mini / Infinity Legend / ICD B2K4 w/ pds / Tippmann A5 / 2011 Mokal Aura / Spyder Advancer / GI Micro50 / Spyder Imagine / WGP Outkast Pump / WGP Prostock / DP E1 / Azodin Kaos
dynamomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:38 PM #19
Kbug
O.M.G.

Kbug owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Kbug supports Team VICIOUS
Kbug has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Kbug supports Empire
If you think that co2 is just as good as hpa, you need to get your facts right noob. Co2 sits in a metal cylinder (metal rusts by the way) until it gets used. Then, when the co2 tank gets filled, the co2 that can be dirty and have rust or whatever else in it gets put into the tank which then goes into the gun and CAN ruin the internals (notice that I said it can, not guarantee). Why do you think hpa is more expinsive and can't be used on higher end guns (excluding spyders and tippmanns)? Because hpa is better

Kbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:30 PM #20
kendakilla
Army Black Knights

Quote:
If you think that co2 is just as good as hpa, you need to get your facts right noob. Co2 sits in a metal cylinder (metal rusts by the way) until it gets used. Then, when the co2 tank gets filled, the co2 that can be dirty and have rust or whatever else in it gets put into the tank which then goes into the gun and CAN ruin the internals (notice that I said it can, not guarantee). Why do you think hpa is more expinsive and can't be used on higher end guns (excluding spyders and tippmanns)? Because hpa is better
sounds like a personal problem with taking care of your own equipment. HPA tanks can shoot off like missiles if you don't take care of them too we should all switch to propane like that one tippmann gun no one wanted to buy

Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM #21
masterofTHUMBS
boom headshot

Quote:
lol, most co2 tanks are aluminum which doesn't rust. I'm pretty sure the steel ones are the giant ones the field gets delivered. Even if they were made out of steel (which can rust) there isn't enough oxygen in the tank (just co2) to create rust. Rust, if you remember from chemistry, is iron oxide, a combination of oxygen and iron. Now, CO2 is a dirty gas meaning there will be a slight build up of crud (not exactly sure what it is, grease maybe? I find it in my spyder's volumizer) that can accumulate but there won't be any rust from CO2, infact, a gun with steel parts would be more likely to get rust from moisture in the gun. I have no idea if HPA would even have an effect on rust build up since it is the normal air you are breathing right now. Plus, HPA is cheaper in the long run. You can fill tanks yourself with a shop air compressor attached to a shoebox compressor. Sure the tanks may be a little more expensive since they have regulator's on them and maybe more expensive fiber for 4500psi on the outside rather than steel for 3000psi but the gas (standard air) is free. CO2 on the other hand can use cheaper tanks as they only have the bottle (cheap aluminum that can be recycled easier than fiber wrapped tanks) and brass valve that hasn't changed design since forever. CO2 tanks are cheap but the gas costs money. You don't have to buy a compressor (maybe a fill station but those aren't expensive like the shoebox compressor), you just get large cylinders delivered that are already filled by someone else. Cheaper than a compressor in the short run but expensive in the long run compared to free air. Also, many places offer all day air meaning you for a small fee ($8 bucks at my field) or even free, you can get HPA refills without paying per fill. Many places are beginning to offer this as many more players switch to HPA due to more complex guns in addition to the pressure consistencies it offers. CO2 costs by the ounce. My field charges (or used to, they make you rent a steelie for $8 plus free air now and don't fill CO2 anymore) $4 per 20oz. I used to get two fills during the day which happens to cost as much as all day air but I love using HPA, I can't figure out why it took me so long to switch.

Also, you said
Quote:
Why do you think hpa is more expinsive and can't be used on higher end guns (excluding spyders and tippmanns)?
I think you meant to say CO2. Plus, spyders and tippmanns are not high end guns (maybe an X7 and crossover are midline) despite the price of certain models. Spyders use the same sheriden design that's been around forever and Tippmann uses an inline version. These are cheap, mass produced designs that have low tolerences. Why is the 98c called the ak47 of paintball? They can take the use of CO2 better due to the designs. I don't know what you were trying to say but high end guns use hpa because of it being a more stable gas, it keeps its pressure better in changing temperatures, it doesn't flood the gun with liquid air if you tilt the gun wrong, and it is cheaper to refill meaning tournements are going to use HPA due to the hundreds (possibly thousands) of refills they need.

I don't know if you were replying to me or not but I think you need to get YOUR facts straight.