Community Focus

Old 03-30-2012, 08:44 PM #1
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Spyder Sonix Pro not recocking

Hey, 'Nation!
I've made an appeal. I'm teching a girl's Spyder Sonix Pro and it just refuses to recock. I mean, not even a blowback! The bolt and striker come forward, hit the valve, and just stop. No rearward travel whatsoever! I'm thinking this is an airflow issue, as the tank is full (2300psi). I've torn the whole thing down, and the cupseal looks fine, the trigger mechanism works just fine, and everything is lubed. Any help would be appreciated!
The velocity adjuster doesn't help anything at any setting. I've had it maxed and zeroed out, to no avail. Help?
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2012, 10:26 PM #2
molybdenum
Aspiring Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
Hey, 'Nation!
I've made an appeal. I'm teching a girl's Spyder Sonix Pro and it just refuses to recock. I mean, not even a blowback! The bolt and striker come forward, hit the valve, and just stop. No rearward travel whatsoever! I'm thinking this is an airflow issue, as the tank is full (2300psi). I've torn the whole thing down, and the cupseal looks fine, the trigger mechanism works just fine, and everything is lubed. Any help would be appreciated!
The velocity adjuster doesn't help anything at any setting. I've had it maxed and zeroed out, to no avail. Help?
Noah
No bounce even? There is a hammer O-ring right?

Perhaps take a look at the valve pin, and file another flat spot if there's only one. Other things that come to mind are the valve spring might be to heavy, or the valve pin might be to short.

It would help to know what was changed from stock if anything.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:56 PM #3
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

Yeah, she picked it up at Goodwill and it didn't work.
There is only one flat side to the valve pin.
Correct, the hammer o-ring is brand spanking new! There isn't any kind of bounce, though. It'll fire paintballs at a decent velocity, so it isn't a problem with the valve, I just don't know why it won't cycle.
It's an '03 Spyder Sonix Pro with all stock parts as far as I know.
The end of the spring (mainspring) looks cut, however. I have a spare Spyder spring, but I didn't notice much of a difference in length. That valve spring does seem awful heavy, though.
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 03-30-2012, 11:57 PM #4
molybdenum
Aspiring Ninja

Funny thing is, I've spent copious amounts of time trying to get my spump to do that, and mine still bounces a bit.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:38 AM #5
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

Oh, the irony!
Well, I'll try filing down the valve today and see if that does anything...the mainspring is about 1/2" shorter than a normal spring, so I don't know if this is bad or not?
It sounds to me like a backpressure issue. I put a barrel cover on it and fired to see if it just wasn't cycling while dry-firing, but it didn't work. Same loud pop and no bounce. It's almost as if the valve isn't letting any air rearwards!
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 03-31-2012, 08:56 PM #6
liverlip

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Lighter valve spring. Heavier main spring. Shoot with paint. Try these 3 things and let me know what happens.

][nvert User IS A THIEF
liverlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:41 PM #7
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

Where do I get said springs?
I have stock springs, but nothing on either side of that...
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 04-01-2012, 05:23 PM #8
liverlip

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Where do I get said springs?
I have stock springs, but nothing on either side of that...
Noah

You can buy a spring kit. Ebay has them cheap. You can try what you have (stock springs) before you buy anything. Swap one of those extra stock springs in. Take the valve spring out and try to loosen it up by squeezing it over and over for a while. Replace it and try it out, with paint. Don't forget to cock it before you air it up.

edit: Before doing any of this, try shooting it with the bolt removed. Remove the bolt but replace everything else (hammer, spring, velocity adjuster etc..). Air her up and see what happens (no paint of course).

][nvert User IS A THIEF
Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 PM #9
grendal50

Make sure the breech isn't gummed up. I had my inlaws Pilot do that and the bolt was sticking forward.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:07 PM #10
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

Naw, the breech is just fine. I cleaned the heck out of that sucker before I started working on her.
Now it's leaking violently down the barrel, indicating the cupseal isn't doing its job...I'll need to order a new one.
I did try the valve spring idea, though! I swapped it with a lighter spring of the same size, to no effect. It leaks down the barrel with the stock spring and the new spring, so I don't know.
I've never had a blowback do this! Normally it stutters a little, but on this one the bolt and striker just come forwards and "pop." Then they stay in the same place!
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 PM #11
liverlip

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Naw, the breech is just fine. I cleaned the heck out of that sucker before I started working on her.
Now it's leaking violently down the barrel, indicating the cupseal isn't doing its job...I'll need to order a new one.
I did try the valve spring idea, though! I swapped it with a lighter spring of the same size, to no effect. It leaks down the barrel with the stock spring and the new spring, so I don't know.
I've never had a blowback do this! Normally it stutters a little, but on this one the bolt and striker just come forwards and "pop." Then they stay in the same place!
Noah
It wasn't leaking before was it? And you cocked the marker before you aired it up right? And the cup seal was seated properly when you put her back together? Just throwing some stuff out there. Unfortunately I recently sold all of my Spyder stuff or I would have sent you replacements. You should be able to find what you need and not spend too much though.

][nvert User IS A THIEF
Old 04-01-2012, 09:30 PM #12
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

Yep, she's put back together correctly! I've fixed a lot of Spyders and never quite had anything like this! It did leak before I pulled it apart, just not this violently.
Cocking before airing it up is second nature since I've owned AutoCockers...
Yeah, the cupseal from Spyder is about $1.50, so I'll try that. The girl I'm fixing it for also has a spare cupseal, so I'll try to get that from her! Thanks for all the help! I'll keep throwing the book at it and seeing if I can get something to work right!
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 04-01-2012, 10:58 PM #13
liverlip

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Yep, she's put back together correctly! I've fixed a lot of Spyders and never quite had anything like this! It did leak before I pulled it apart, just not this violently.
Cocking before airing it up is second nature since I've owned AutoCockers...
Yeah, the cupseal from Spyder is about $1.50, so I'll try that. The girl I'm fixing it for also has a spare cupseal, so I'll try to get that from her! Thanks for all the help! I'll keep throwing the book at it and seeing if I can get something to work right!
Noah
Good luck. If I can help any further and you would rather speak over the phone, let me know. I spent years fixing Spyders (must have fixed a few hundred) and I am undefeated.

][nvert User IS A THIEF
Old 04-01-2012, 11:30 PM #14
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

Okay, I fixed that darn thing!
Some dodo put the spacer in front of the valve (I'm assuming the previous owner did and promptly gave it to Goodwill) so it prevented the forward travel of the striker. I missed it on my first teardown, probably because I was in a hurry at the field. This time, however, I did catch the issue and corrected it. The marker now cycles perfectly! Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 AM #15
liverlip

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Okay, I fixed that darn thing!
Some dodo put the spacer in front of the valve (I'm assuming the previous owner did and promptly gave it to Goodwill) so it prevented the forward travel of the striker. I missed it on my first teardown, probably because I was in a hurry at the field. This time, however, I did catch the issue and corrected it. The marker now cycles perfectly! Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
Noah
Good to hear. You wouldn't believe how many times that is the culprit. That might be the top "Spyder problem" here on PbNation.

][nvert User IS A THIEF
Old 04-02-2012, 02:27 PM #16
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

It's an easy thing to do it you're a newbie. You have this little disc-thing that doesn't seem to go any place, and the striker has a raised pin on the front, so it's natural to assume that it goes around the front of the striker. Uh-uh.
At least I didn't have to buy anything to fix it! I had to purchase and replace an entire valve assembly on one Piranha because someone had tried to enlarge the holes to let more air out per cycle, but had:
a) forgotten to remove the cupseal before drilling,
b) walked the drill bit across the surface, scratching and gouging it,
c) made a royal mess of the exhaust holes, including leaving giant flecks of metal hanging around the holes.

I was not happy about that, but gladly accepted the income for a relatively simple operation.
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 04-02-2012, 05:28 PM #17
liverlip

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
It's an easy thing to do it you're a newbie. You have this little disc-thing that doesn't seem to go any place, and the striker has a raised pin on the front, so it's natural to assume that it goes around the front of the striker. Uh-uh.
At least I didn't have to buy anything to fix it! I had to purchase and replace an entire valve assembly on one Piranha because someone had tried to enlarge the holes to let more air out per cycle, but had:
a) forgotten to remove the cupseal before drilling,
b) walked the drill bit across the surface, scratching and gouging it,
c) made a royal mess of the exhaust holes, including leaving giant flecks of metal hanging around the holes.

I was not happy about that, but gladly accepted the income for a relatively simple operation.
Noah
That person probably read 1 thread about changing the volume and gave it a go. I had an SE once that would not fire. The previous owner replaced the VA screw with one that was too long. It was just long enough to let the marker shoot, but the valve wasn't able to fully cycle. Took me about 4 hours to figure out what the problem was.

][nvert User IS A THIEF