Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 PM #1
SG Relentless

SG Relentless has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Exclamation I just discovered paintball!!

so i just recently discovered the wonderful sport of paintball. i have gear so thats not the problem

please excuse my ignorance but i have a bunch of question that i dont even know how to ask lol. so i'll put it in bullet form lol

- how do i get on a team?
- so many different leagues, but which one is the one that really matters, ie world cup stuff
-for the sake of argument, lets say i choose psp league
-do you have to attend all events?
- Divisions? and a pro Division? what are they?
-does everyone start in amateur and move up?
- how do you up move up in division?
- team sponsorships?
- Divisions get discounted gear?
- pro Division gets free ride?
- this is very vague but pricing?
- exclude gear
- how much paintballs do you need?
- price of paintballs per event?
- hotels? traveling? (i know they are expensive but how much have "you" spent on hotel and traveling on a single event?

again, sorry for my ignorance. but i really want to compete in tournaments. i love competitions lol. i just dont know where to start.

so if i missed anything let me know lol. thanks again for the help
SG Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2012, 08:55 PM #2
trianglesandtweed

trianglesandtweed plays in the PSP
trianglesandtweed supports Team VICIOUS
just go out, start playing and have fun. talk to the people there and be a nice person. everything else will fall into place.
trianglesandtweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 PM #3
brentwickliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trianglesandtweed View Post
just go out, start playing and have fun. talk to the people there and be a nice person. everything else will fall into place.
brentwickliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:52 PM #4
p8ntballr68059
Post whore since 08

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
if you are just starting paintball chances are you are not ready for tournament play.
getting on a team. just go to the field and impress people with skill maybe they will invite you to their tryouts
to many different leagues. are you wanting speedball or woods ball. there are plenty of both
you don't have to attend all events but the points are good
moving up happens from winning and wanting to move up.
sponsorship is earned get to work on the local level to get noticed
PAINTBALL IS EXPENSIVE
paint depends on how much you shoot. me personally i play back in speedball and i can shoot as much as 8 pods a game so like 4 cases
each event will have different costs for paint
hotels you will just have to look for the best cost and book early
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Insight,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:53 PM #5
travtrav

travtrav owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
travtrav owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
travtrav posts videos on PbNation
travtrav has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
yea bro, just go play at your local field every weekend or something and you will learn as you progress.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:01 PM #6
cab0053

Quote:
Originally Posted by travtrav View Post
yea bro, just go play at your local field every weekend or something and you will learn as you progress.
Don't be afraid to ask for help and pointers and be good-natured, I have been playing for about two years and I still ask. As a whole, paintballers want to help other paintballers.
cab0053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 PM #7
wangerinjaw

wangerinjaw plays in the PSP
wangerinjaw plays in the MiLP
wangerinjaw plays in the APPA D4 division
Whoa buddy, hit the brakes on the crazy (paintball) train.(<--see what I did there ) Not saying don't compete but slow down. You have to learn how to walk before you can run. Like triangle said, start slow. Play for a while before you make any big commitments. I don't know if this is true where you are, but most tournament teams in my area require a sizable commitment. Like practice every other weekend. Maybe more for PSP. Rent for a while, if you decide you want to play more after that, then go get gear. When you are first starting off don't jump off the deep end with gear by buying all top of the line Dye Tournament gear. Paintball is, sadly, an expensive sport. Its a terrible feeling when you buy 1k+ in gear, and then after a few months decide it isn't as great as you first thought. Don't go cheap on a mask, but research gear and figure out what gives you the most bang for your buck. Don't always assume that if something costs the most, it is the best. Also, don't forget you have to pay for entry, air, paint, tournament fees, etc. Paintball is an awesome, very addicting sport. Judging by your questions you know nothing about tourney paintball(no offense) except that it exists. Get to know the owners of the field you play at, the refs, more experienced players. Proceed with caution and you can have an awesome paintball experience. But don't burn yourself out in the first few months.
Hope I gave you some stuff to think about/helped.
wangerinjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 PM #8
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by trianglesandtweed View Post
I agree. you'll drop a ton of money for tourney stuff. So do it for fun and maybe eventually join more of a club team.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 PM #9
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Yeah like they said. It's obvious you had a blast, but you do want to slow it down. Where do you live? If you have local fields nearby, many of them will have teams that consider it their home field and practice there often. Find out when they are going to be there, and go to the field that day. You can introduce yourself, just to make sure they will recognize your face next time you see them. Ask them about their team, such as what leagues they compete in, etc., but don't ask them about things like sponsorships, getting on the team etc. That will come later. [Before I go on, a sponsorship is when a paintball company will give you gear (usually at a reduced cost, NOT free), and in return you rep for them. That means that if you win an event the other people will see the gear and say "hey those guys are good and they use (insert brand name here) gear." So it works out for both sides.] Then, now that you've got your foot in the door and have some recreational experience, you can see about setting up or going to a team tryout.

As far as leagues go, there are two major pro leagues in the US, the nppl and psp, as well as the millennium series, a sort of international league. (nppl and psp both have world cup tournaments as well). I prefer the psp, because of the way it's set up and the fact that they have a better website and such, making it easier for you to learn about tourney ball, so that's the example I will use. If you go to pspevents.com, you can read about the format, rules, and teams that compete in it. Also, if you go to their YouTube channel, pspevents, you can see games from the 2011 season in their entirety. This will help you get a feel for, though I suggest you look up the rules and format first, or else you will be very lost. Pspevents.com will also tell you about entry fees for their national events and such. And no, pro teams do NOT get a free ride, for the most part, though they do get prizes for winning tourneys, and they can also get jobs with the paintball companies that sponsor them, among other things, so it is possible to make a living off of paintball, you just have to be very good.

I know this jumped around a lot, but maybe it'll help you a little bit.

Last edited by Paintman15 : 03-30-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:56 PM #10
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhector View Post
I agree. you'll drop a ton of money for tourney stuff. So do it for fun and maybe eventually join more of a club team.
if a tourney team is what you want then this is pointless advice. Do what makes you happy, no reasonable paintballer is going to turn away a friendly person interested in the sport. Enjoy yourself man and talk it up, best way to learn is to experience things imo.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:56 PM #11
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D5 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Alright, first of all, if you have just started you are not ready for the big leagues yet. I know a lot about PSP, pricing depends on what division you play and what variant of X-Ball you play. IE: Race to 4, X-ball, or Race to 2. The lowest division (D4 Race-2) costs, per team, right around $960. That is just for the tournament itself, this does not include hotel fees, food fees, and transportation fees.

You do not have to attend all the events, but if you do not, don't expect your team to win the grand prize.
Not everyone starts at the lowest division, I know quite a few people that went from playing locally to playing D2/D1 X-Ball, doesn't happen very often but it does happen.
Sponsorships or IMO very overrated, unless they are fields or local business. If you get sponsored by Empire and you own all Dye gear, prepare to lose quite a bit of money to play for a team.
Also the higher the division does not mean you get better pricing, but it does help with sponsorships, which again I believe are overrated.
Then lastly, paintballs, the amount needed depends on events. At PSP, my team went through 80 cases of paint, but we have two teams, so 40 cases per team, which comes out to be $3600, as we got paint for $45 a case. Most teams get it for $60 a case.

It is a good time, some of the most fun out there, however, it is very expensive. I would say stick with rec-ball for a while and see where it takes you from there. Play with more experienced players to get better faster, and to get to know better players to start to join a team.
If you have any further questions just shoot me a pm.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:52 PM #12
Blacc Dragon
Deadbox Savant

Blacc Dragon donated to help Peyton Trent
Blacc Dragon helped look for balloons
Blacc Dragon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Blacc Dragon supports Team VICIOUS
Blacc Dragon posts videos on PbNation
Blacc Dragon is Legendary
The advice to slow down is very solid advice. If you choose not to listen though, the best thing that you can do is play against tournament players. Call your local field & ask them what days the tournament teams practice...hit the filed that day & play against them, with them, whatever it takes to get on the field. You will gain experience, perspective, and should also be able to talk to the other players to find out what tournaments they play, their costs & experiences, and pretty much obtain lots of information that would probably be more relative to you (the other players that you play with & talk to will either be future teammates or competitors...either way, they will more likely than most of us have information that will actually pertain to you).

Good luck finding what you are looking for, and just keep having fun!
Blacc Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:26 AM #13
GivenRandy

Annual Supporting Member
Congrats! Just watch your budget on paint.
GivenRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:40 AM #14
JTBaller203
Thug Life

JTBaller203 supports Team VICIOUS
JTBaller203 posts videos on PbNation
JTBaller203 supports Pev's Paintball
JTBaller203 plays in the APPA D4 division
JTBaller203 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
- how do i get on a team?
Go to your local field or search on here.

- so many different leagues, but which one is the one that really matters, ie world cup stuff
Depends on your area. It is probably best to start off playing a local 5man series.

-for the sake of argument, lets say i choose psp league
-do you have to attend all events?
No

- Divisions? and a pro Division? what are they?
Divisions help separate experienced from less experienced players.

-does everyone start in amateur and move up?
With the ranking system now, you start at beginner(D6) and can move to D1 then pro if you are lucky enough.

- how do you up move up in division?
You move up in division by placing high in tournaments in the division you were playing.

- team sponsorships?
I would check your local field 1st because you are just starting out, once you are on an established team then you can start trying to go after bigger companies if you want.

- Divisions get discounted gear?
Different teams get different discounts form their sponsors, its all based on what the sponsor and team agreed on.

- pro Division gets free ride?
I guess, I never played pro.

- this is very vague but pricing?
all depends on the league. it could be event paint only or bring your own paint. if you have questions about this pm me.

- exclude gear
- how much paintballs do you need?
depends on the format

- price of paintballs per event?
depends on the league/sponsors

- hotels? traveling? (i know they are expensive but how much have "you" spent on hotel and traveling on a single event?
most i ever spent on hotels was roughly $80 for two nights, I am pretty cheap.

I wasn't able to completely answer everything but PM with any other questions you may have.
JTBaller203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:14 AM #15
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured supports Team VICIOUS
Team_ILLNatured plays in the APPA D5 division
Team_ILLNatured is Boss
woah, Pump your brakes chief.
#1 READ. you have found yourself probabally the best source for information on paintball availible(PBNation, and The internet)

#2 Spend alot of time at your local field, use a rental, get a better feel for the game, Meet people, discuss Paintball, DO NOT TALK ABOUT HOW WELL YOU DID IN THE LAST GAME BETWEEN GAMES(nothing irritates me more than a dude coming off the field in rental gear and hearin "Yo Bro, did u see that sweet move I made" or "Bro, I totally would have had you if you didn't have better gear than me". 1, you are not my "Bro", and 2 I don't care how good you think you are. I've been around this sport for almost 20 years, I've seen many like you come and go. 3 No, I would have shot you either way, because you have been playing paintball for a whopping 15min)

#3 COMPARE PBNation review section, or PBReview.com have reviews on just about every piece of gear ever manufactured.

#4 when you are ready to buy your own gear GO TO THE B/S/T section and buy yourself some good, discounted price gear. Ebay is also good for this.
Rule of thumb: If their Join date and month are in the current month and year, they have no feedback(located under their username, sell explainitory)and their post is very vague, with no pictures, IT IS A SCAM.

#5 Unless you are some prodigy, do not expect to make it pro, ever.

#6 flying to Huntington Beach = $400 airfare + $300 hotel(Motel 6) +$400 rental van + $60 Shipping for HPA tanks to a friend in the area. $1160, without food, or paintball.

#7 Pump your brakes 1 more time, and do not turn into an Agglet. Noone likes agglets.
Depew Decepticonz #1 2013 USPA Batavia Novice Div Sectional Champions
Belfast Bombers #01 2012 2nd Place USPA Novice Div
Depew ILLNatured #0 2011 3rd place USPA , Great Lakes Division
My ShEGO project!
"Originally posted by Spitlebug: You are right, my penis simply will not accept anything smaller than 68 caliber. :D"

Last edited by Team_ILLNatured : 03-31-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Team_ILLNatured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:39 AM #16
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Welcome to Paintball

Now if you are as new to it as you seem I recommend you take your focus off of tourney play for a while and just focus on rec play. Learn the sport. Get to fully enjoy the sport. Have fun without all the politics and BS that can come from tourney play due to dealing with sponsors, tourney rules, fees, organizers, officials, other players, etc etc.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:55 PM #17
SG Relentless

Thanks for all the advise guys.

for those who asked, im based in chicago and my nearest park is paintball explosion. though i do have a membership at cpx, kinda far though.

also someone mentioned that i should just go out to team practices and rent, do parks rent out speedball markers? cuz i thought they only rent out custom 98's and paintball explosion just got in the new flip top so thats cool.

ive seen team practice events posted here and there. it says 40$? what does that necessarily include? case of paint? entry etc?
SG Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 PM #18
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG Relentless View Post

for those who asked, im based in chicago and my nearest park is paintball explosion. though i do have a membership at cpx, kinda far though.

also someone mentioned that i should just go out to team practices and rent, do parks rent out speedball markers? cuz i thought they only rent out custom 98's and paintball explosion just got in the new flip top so thats cool.

ive seen team practice events posted here and there. it says 40$? what does that necessarily include? case of paint? entry etc?
Most will rent out a tippmann, one field by me gives vibes and ions though. if its a team practice, they are most likely talking about a private day on a certain field. I'd guess its only field and air.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:14 PM #19
JGARRIGUES0001

make some money, find a field, and start playing... you'll figure those things out as you go
JGARRIGUES0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:19 PM #20
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D5 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG Relentless View Post

Just curios, what is your set-up? Because before you start playing in tournaments you need equipment that is suitable for speedball.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:52 PM #21
SG Relentless

Before i discovered speedball i basically just have woodsball stuff

dye i4
tippmann tpx
dye elbow bads
magazines and vest.

but i am working on getting:
-axe
-ninja 68/45
-dye rotor