Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-29-2012, 05:08 PM #1
dub CRISP
tra la la la la la

I'm Jelly

TL;DR: dude lives in a hangar on 400 acres in Utah with his own runway

Quote:
WHEN a man escapes from an Iron Curtain country in an aircraft he built himself, perhaps it should not be surprising, nearly three decades later, to find him making his home in an airplane hangar.

The three runways surrounding Ivo Zdarsky’s hangar are not pristine, despite his continual battle with the badgers that burrow underneath, threatening them with collapse. But at least he has managed to keep them clear of the cattle. Lucin International Airport is what Mr. Zdarsky calls this place, though the only plane that lands regularly in this ghost town a 180-mile drive northwest of Salt Lake City is his own. (If you go to Ogden, 160 miles away, to stock up on groceries, it is good to have your own plane.)

Do not think, however, that the home of Mr. Zdarsky, who makes his living manufacturing airplane propellers, is austere. His great room — essentially his only room — is dominated by such big-box treasures as a 90-inch flat-screen TV, with four-foot-tall speakers in the corners of the room. There is also a drum set, a desk and a computer, two mattresses in front of the TV and an upside-down inflatable hot tub covered with a sheet and repurposed as a settee.

You must be really close to the U.P.S. guy, the reporter says.

“Brent,” says Mr. Zdarsky, 51, who retains the accent of his native Czechoslovakia, and has a high-pitched voice and a dry but wicked sense of humor. “He lives in Ogden. He is my lifeline to civilization.”

And sitting on the bed and settee, as casually as you might toss a sweater, are two assault weapons.

“I use them on the badgers because they dig in my ground,” Mr. Zdarsky explains. “You cannot imagine the damage these badgers do.”

In fact, looking around, the reporter counts seven weapons in the room. Specifics, please.

“That’s a .308 sniper rifle,” Mr. Zdarsky says. “That’s a .223 sniper rifle. There is a shotgun if the badgers get too close. There is a Belgium FS2000.”

He gestures toward some ammunition on a homemade table nearby. “That’s what our guys are using in Afghanistan. It’s very effective against badgers. And probably terrorists too.”

There is also camouflage clothing. Why would Mr. Zdarsky, who may be the only resident of Lucin, need camouflage clothing?

“Because they don’t get dirty,” Mr. Zdarsky says. “Plus, the badgers don’t see it.”

THERE are ghost towns, and then there are towns that are so deserted they aren’t even the ghosts of ghost towns. Lucin, in Box Elder County, is the latter. In the late 1800s, steam engines stopped nearby to take on water. In the 1970s, a few retired railroad workers were still living here, but they are long gone.

More significant to Mr. Zdarsky is the area’s military history — which may be the reason he found a mysterious 500-foot-wide, 4,000-foot-long runway on his property. During World War II, Wendover, 80 miles south of here, was a bomber training base and firing range, where the Enola Gay was housed. And the Utah Test and Training Range is about 50 miles from Mr. Zdarsky’s house. Even now, the reporter notices the side door shaken by a sonic boom.

“Bomb,” Mr. Zdarsky says, grinning.

Mr. Zdarsky’s hangar and airstrip are surrounded by an electric fence, with a skull-and-crossbones flag at the gate. Once you get within a mile or two, you can spot a tall building on the property that houses a navigational beacon for the Federal Aviation Administration, for which the F.A.A. pays Mr. Zdarsky a rental fee of $2,500 a year.

His home is divided into two 50-by-50-foot areas: one is for his planes, the other is his living space (the bathroom is a separate room). “I notice most people have a house which is usually smaller than my room,” Mr. Zdarsky says. “And inside this house is a bunch of little rooms, called bedroom, living room, whatever. If they want to do something on a computer you have to go in one room, you go to eat in another room. I have just one room, and I can watch the TV here, watch the computer here, eat here, and it is not claustrophobic.”

He points at one of the motorized hinged hangar doors, which can lift 10 feet off the ground. “If I need a bigger window, I can lift this.”

Oh, right, the reporter has just noticed that this house has no windows. Why is that?
“I wasn’t sure I wanted to do it or not,” Mr. Zdarsky says, quickly dismissing the subject of windows to continue with the joys of single-room living. “And normal people do all this, they have to navigate between all these walls. If I want walls, I can put walls here, but I haven’t found a reason for walling myself in.”
Multimedia

Slide Show
In Remote Utah, the Ultimate Man Cave

Map

Follow Home on Twitter
Connect with us at @NYTimesHome for articles and slide shows on interior design and life at home.
The reporter, always eager to work the psychological angle, offers a theory. Maybe this distaste for walls comes from being trapped in a Communist state? Though, come to think of it, many people lived under Communist rule, and you don’t see a lot of them out here.

“Right,” Mr. Zdarsky says, laughing at this theory. “You don’t see a lot of them out here.”

Speaking of Communist Czechoslovakia, what better time — now that Mr. Zdarsky is defrosting a hunk of antelope he shot to make the reporter lunch — to flash back to the summer of 1984, and the flight to freedom that made him briefly famous?

An aviation engineering student in Prague, Mr. Zdarsky was designing airplane propellers and was disgusted with a government that would not let him speak his mind or go into business for himself. Denied an exit visa, he built his own plane, a hang glider with an engine from a notoriously bad East German car called the Trabant. The plane, of course, required testing, and on one of these tests, Mr. Zdarsky says, he was arrested by the secret police. Luckily, he was flying east at the time and, as he says, not too many people try to escape to Russia. After he convinced the police his plane was a school project, they let him go, impounding the aircraft in a garage used by the local constabulary.

The local police, annoyed at having to park in the street, were amenable to a bribe, and at 3 a.m. on Aug. 4, Mr. Zdarsky says, he packed three compasses and took off in the Czech countryside, not far from the Austrian border, landing in Schwechat, at the Vienna International Airport, where he requested political asylum. There were headlines around the Western world. The reporter reads one aloud from The Sunday Express World Newsdesk, found in a box of old press clippings: “Bat man beats Reds in moon freedom dash — ”

“It was a moonless night, by the way,” Mr. Zdarsky adds. “I didn’t want to have a moon; a moon can show you.”

Isn’t that just like a newspaper? The reporter continues reading: “A young man fed up with life behind the Iron Curtain fitted a light motor and propeller to his flimsy homemade glider and flew off — ”

“Flimsy?” Mr. Zdarsky says, peeved. “It got me where I was going.”

After selling his plane to a West German museum devoted to escape vehicles and the Berlin Wall, the Haus am Checkpoint Charlie, he moved to Los Angeles, where he started a company, Ivoprop, to produce a propeller he designed, which he still owns. He also began working on an experimental aircraft that could function as both helicopter and airplane. (His current design, a CGS Aviation two-seat ultralight plane he retrofitted with eight primitive piston engines, can be seen at youtube.com/watch?v=xa_dJsVVlPc.) But by 1997, he was tired of Los Angeles and began looking for property where he could develop his plane. That’s when he found 400 acres in the Utah desert for $99,000.

“Try doing that in New York,” he says. “It was a pretty good deal because nobody wanted to live here.”

He wanted his home to be as close to a runway as possible. Mr. Zdarsky estimates that it cost $500,000 to build, including $50,000 for the steel for the hangar and $100,000 to bring in water and electricity. (Fortunately for Mr. Zdarsky, a local telephone company hub and a well were already on the property.)

On the roof, which has functioned as a helicopter pad, there is now a plastic tub, about three feet high and three feet wide, filled with dirt. Mr. Zdarsky explains that if somebody starts shooting at him, he can run up here and take cover behind it. The reason for this, Mr. Zdarsky tells the reporter, is that there was “a crazy guy” out here shooting at people, and the walls downstairs in his hangar are very thin. If someone came out here and started shooting, the bullets would go right through the walls.

You could always call the police, he is told.

“Yeah, and it will take them three hours to get here; they will show up to take pictures of your dead body,” Mr. Zdarsky says. “If a bad guy is out there somewhere, the best place to go is behind that pile of dirt.”

“Ivo,” the reporter asks, “You sure you don’t have a survivalist thing going on here?”

“No, no,” Mr. Zdarsky says. “I don’t have one year of food.”

Still, one wonders whether he gets lonely.

“Everyone asks me that,” he says. “If I get lonely, I can turn on my big TV, or I get in my plane or go see people. Usually it is more the other way, I am in civilization and looking very much forward to escaping here.”

...click the link to read the rest
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/29/ga...ngar.html?_r=1

weanegro: its like a really tiny person eating a regular size gummy worm

HOW.THE.WORLS.SHOULD.WORK
"Originally posted by komodo-117: our beloved pharmacudical companies"

Last edited by dub CRISP : 03-29-2012 at 05:24 PM.
dub CRISP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2012, 05:15 PM #2
lioutlaws316
ITS OVER 9000!!!

lioutlaws316 donated to help Peyton Trent
lioutlaws316 plays in the APPA D4 division
lioutlaws316 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
lioutlaws316 is Legendary
lioutlaws316 supports DLX Technology
I wan pics
lioutlaws316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:17 PM #3
ss invader

Didn't read but I too am jelly.

-Thanks!
ss invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 PM #4
>>Empire2k11<<
2k5

>>Empire2k11<< owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
>>Empire2k11<< supports Team VICIOUS
>>Empire2k11<< posts videos on PbNation
>>Empire2k11<< supports Pev's Paintball
>>Empire2k11<< supports DLX Technology
yup im jelly
#3 Dale Earnhardt
Minnesota Vikings
Originally Posted by ProjectJanus:
I would drag my dick through a mile of broken glass just to hear her fart through a walkie talkie.
>>Empire2k11<< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:23 PM #5
Zerosignals
52nd street gang

has been a member for 10 years
Pics don't work. I read in pictures.

Jamin fan club
Zerosignals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:24 PM #6
SynergyAMB1125
chuckin up the shakas

thats like a more badass version of Bob Lee Swagger in Shooter. only more badass cuz of the house
Originally Posted by OA_paintball: im just worried if i donate plasma and some cancer patient gets it, his dicks gonna grow and hes gonna have mad game with the nurses.. probably not good for the hospital.

Dennis Woolford 9/26/08

TROLLPOCALYPSERed-Shirted Super Smashed Bros '11
SynergyAMB1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:26 PM #7
Jagov Fapsky (Banned)

Jagov Fapsky owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Jagov Fapsky has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
niiice
Jagov Fapsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 PM #8
Zerosignals
52nd street gang

JK pics work. I'm super jelly. We should overtake that place and turn it into the ST shelter for the zombie apocalypse/2012.

Jamin fan club
Zerosignals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:28 PM #9
haman
╭∩╮

that guy really hates badgers

i'm peanut butter
Old 03-29-2012, 05:48 PM #10
edudcixlsyd
ya boi

damn..
Old 03-29-2012, 06:12 PM #11
ACE159
I <3 DRUMMING

Noob tom angles.

Didn't read but he seems lonely as ****
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."~George Carlin
2012 Scavenger Hunt Champs- STarmy
ACE159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:14 PM #12
EclipseKid3186
I'm a party animal...

EclipseKid3186 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
EclipseKid3186 supports Team VICIOUS
EclipseKid3186 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
EclipseKid3186 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerosignals View Post
JK pics work. I'm super jelly. We should overtake that place and turn it into the ST shelter for the zombie apocalypse/2012.
Great idea!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:14 PM #13
SuperSupra619 (Banned)

****in badgers
SuperSupra619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:15 PM #14
MattDamnit
Anustart

Annual Supporting Member
MattDamnit is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
MattDamnit is Legendary
MattDamnit is Boss
Nice crib.
Don't Touch Me You Filthy Casual
MattDamnit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:46 PM #15
General_MacArthur
Formerly General_Patton

General_MacArthur is playing at Living Legends V
General_MacArthur has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
General_MacArthur has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyAMB1125 View Post
thats like a more badass version of Bob Lee Swagger in Shooter. only more badass cuz of the house
NO.

Also, jelly as well. Good read.

White and proud.
STARMY Scavenger Hunt Champions

Originally Posted by DrobertsPB "you're like an intelligent redneck mountain man"
General_MacArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:18 AM #16
i_bunker_u
Train Wreck

i_bunker_u plays in the PSP
i_bunker_u owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i_bunker_u plays in the APPA D4 division
awesome
i_bunker_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:30 AM #17
AlienBoy

lol out in the canyons of utah.
****s like desert, hot as ****.
id rather turn it into a indoor glow in the dark skatepark.
AlienBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 AM #18
The_Hawk
There Is No Society

The_Hawk is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBoy View Post
id rather turn it into a indoor glow in the dark skatepark.
That's a stupid idea. Like, really stupid.
Let's jam

"Originally posted by pok3ypuppy: LOL SOMEBODY SHOULD SIG THIS."
The_Hawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 AM #19
AlienBoy

sounds fun to me lol
Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 AM #20
The_Hawk
There Is No Society

The_Hawk is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I guess it would be fun for middle schoolers.
Let's jam

"Originally posted by pok3ypuppy: LOL SOMEBODY SHOULD SIG THIS."
The_Hawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 AM #21
AlienBoy

can you imagine, like the ramps being neon yellow, with black lights hanging from the ceiling. Then the grinding rails being neon pink.

then glow in the dark wheels.. sounds awesome to me. reminds me of some movie back in the 90's. can't remember name though.