PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-27-2012, 05:03 PM #1
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Anyone else have problems switching from speedball to woods?

I play both styles, and Im pretty darn good at speedball if I do say so myself, but here lately, it seems like the better I get at speedball, the worse I get at woods. Is Anyone else having or has had the same problems? Any tips?
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies

Last edited by Paintman15 : 03-27-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2012, 05:08 PM #2
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
liquidfiretibby is BST Legit
liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i havent played in the woods for a few weeks now. been focusing on speedball. i find in woodsball there are more angles and weird places for ppl to see you from. its not mirrored like speedball either. i can see how getting better and more accustomed to speedball could degrade your woodsball skils a little.

United
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:08 PM #3
trianglesandtweed

trianglesandtweed plays in the PSP
trianglesandtweed supports Team VICIOUS
They're two different games and you play them differently. You're probably bringing stuff from speedball into the woods without knowing it. Try slowing down and taking it easy or something, do you feel yourself rushing?
trianglesandtweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 PM #4
Paintman15
Justin

^^^Yeah, I suppose I am. And I meant to say "I'm pretty darn good at speedball", but I guess I had a brainfart. I edited it though.
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

-Sick Puppies
Old 03-27-2012, 10:27 PM #5
Xal
Red Text

Xal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Xal posts videos on PbNation
Xal has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Xal has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Xal is attending Decay of Nations VI
Well they are two different styles of play, speedball can be a more fast paced game while woodsball requires a little more patience. It's a lot easier to sneak up on people in woodsball and you can have the balls coming at more angles with less cover so you have to be more careful.
Xal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 PM #6
I'm Batman
Total Noob w/ Good Gear

I'm Batman owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I'm Batman has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm Batman has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Hehe, I tend to play them both the same, usually. Which usually scares the renters/walk-ons a little bit at the field when I'm charging up the middle of the woods with no regard for my own personal well-being and hoping to hit as many of 'em as I can before I get tagged.

But really, they require somewhat different skillsets. The basic skills are the same and transfer well enough from one to the other. But there are different angles to account for, different tactics that can be used in woodsball that would never work in speedball.

I like 'em both, though. Long as I get to play, I'm happy.

Just wanted a change so I changed names. Still the same ol' me, though.
NEW FEEDBACK
New Old Feedback
Old Old Feedback

Total Feedback: 19+/0-
I never finish anthi...
I'm Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 AM #7
gunslinger84

gunslinger84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gunslinger84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gunslinger84 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
gunslinger84 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Slow it down, bro. When I do woodsball I jog to the boundary line and just walk from there. That's it. That's the big move.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:16 PM #8
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D4 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I am going to play woodsball (hopefully) for the first time in over a year. I really concentrated on speedball, sponsorship, teams, etc, but at that point it felt more like a job to me. So I will see how I do, but I can imagine I will have to tone down my aggressiveness on the field slightly to adjust.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 PM #9
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Never had a problem switching back and forth myself. Perhaps because woodsball was my start *shrugs* I dont know

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:34 PM #10
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I actually had an easier time switching from woodsball to speedball! I've played woodsball my entire paintball career, and just recently decided to try some hyperball (mirrored field). I was destroying because I've always watched every angle in woodsball, but in speedball all I really had to watch was the lanes!

I still prefer woodsball, however, because I get more of an adrenaline rush sneaking far behind enemy lines with only my marker and my wits! (Not really, but you get the idea...)
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 PM #11
Paintman15
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
Never had a problem switching back and forth myself. Perhaps because woodsball was my start *shrugs* I dont know
I started in the woods, as well. But here recently, I've shifted my focus to speedball, and the more I improve, it seems like the worse I get in at woodsball. I mean, I suppose I'd rather be good at speedball if I had to choose. But whatever. Idk, I guess I'll just have to work on slowing it down next time I play, and see if that helps.
-Daniel Tosh

-Sick Puppies
Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 PM #12
TwinsPoppa

Annual Supporting Member
TwinsPoppa plays in the PSP
TwinsPoppa plays in the APPA D4 division
Depending on the actual layout, woodsball usually doesn't have solid bunkers like in speedball/supairball. You have to learn to use porous cover more and be more stealthy. Some have villages and stuff but hopefully you're not having problems in those areas.

You have to learn to slow down more and survey the area for possible hiding places. If theres a lot of trees with low thick foliage, lay on your belly. People can't see very well standing but you can under a tree, in the shade - you can see their feet/legs clearly and can see them coming from a mile away.

In the woods its harder to see the profile of a mask, gun, etc. but that's what you're looking for - irregular shapes. Basic stuff like stopping and listening carefully, watching for movement.

I'm sure someone somewhere has written a woodsball basics 101.
TwinsPoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 PM #13
loneassassin
A Grim and...

I've never had a problem with either type of play, but when I started all that existed was woodsball. Speedball slowly got more and more like, well, speedball -- so it wasn't hard to adapt.

I think what you're doing is forgetting that the field is much bigger and you can't see everybody, but you're still rushing in too fast before you've assessed the situation. There are folks whose day is made if they shoot 1 or 2 people in an entire day from concealment. They don't play the way you play, and they are not necessarily talented at all, but if you overlook them THEY WILL shoot you out. It's part of woodsball.

I prefer a very fast paced woodsball game, but I realize there are those that will sit in the back, keep there distance, and basically annoy you until you can't stand the inaction....then they shoot you when you get too aggressive.

You just have to realize what you're working with and be aggressive when appropriate and conservative when it will keep you alive. If they make the mistake of not filling a position or providing adequate defense on a tapeline, that's when you go into full speedball mode and make them pay for it.

There's a lot more to it than that, but I hope that helps.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg

Last edited by loneassassin : 03-29-2012 at 08:38 PM.
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 PM #14
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tonycon supports our troops
tonycon is Legendary
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Ifind that the more speedball i play...the more aggressive I am in the woods and I tend to be a little more aware in the woods...don't know but my teammates notice it too.

Proudly Sponsored By:
PBExplosion VirtueSpire Valken Paintball

KnuckleHeads Paintball Team
Game footage
tonycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:58 PM #15
GivenRandy

Annual Supporting Member
Some things carry over. It is a switch. It's easy to get sloppy in winds. And out of shape!
GivenRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 PM #16
ross86

I definitely have to slow down my game in woodsball. In speedball I tend to be fast and more aggressive. In woodsball you can take your time and plan your actions more thoroughly imo..

Join PBProfile - Paintball's Social Network
ross86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:23 PM #17
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
The key in woodsball is caution!
I once made the error of mistaking aggression and speed for strategy. That lasted about two games, after which I was covered in paint, usually in the first few minutes. You can be aggressive, and usually when people see someone in a full tactical vest and a crazy marker come charging at them, they usually get intimidated. That's why I wear a big vest and have tactical mods on my A5. It's functional, plus is scares the everloving crap out of most people!
So, be aggressive, but don't just throw caution to the wind. I've been laned by first-timers simply because I wasn't paying attention to the angles. Know what cover you'll be moving to, know where that cover is vulnerable, and estimate the amount of time you'll need to reach the cover. If it's less than about five seconds at a full sprint, you'll probably make it!
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:38 AM #18
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the USPL
NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
The ability to adapt and improvise on the fly is a BIG thing... Learn how to scan fields and notice AND scale threats... and you'll be golden.
NoelyDeezNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:28 AM #19
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintman15 View Post
I started in the woods, as well. But here recently, I've shifted my focus to speedball, and the more I improve, it seems like the worse I get in at woodsball. I mean, I suppose I'd rather be good at speedball if I had to choose. But whatever. Idk, I guess I'll just have to work on slowing it down next time I play, and see if that helps.
I actually like what this guy said;

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
I was destroying because I've always watched every angle in woodsball, but in speedball all I really had to watch was the lanes!
As I think about it I do the same. There is alot more I have to be aware of on large woodsball & themed fields. Plus the bunkers aren't always fully secure (holes, mess, brush, etc). In speedball I have much less to focus on. Everything is ahead of me and, depending how far I am up the field, all within one singular plane of vision

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM #20
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Coenen has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I just try to put myself in a spot where I can take advantage of what I'm good at.

Some of making the switch depends on your knowledge of the fields too, if you're really familiar with the field you're playing on, I don't see the switch being a big deal. In unfamiliar surroundings though, I could see it being a big problem.

I think in woodsball there's just a bit more space to keep track of. The pace of play is obviously different, or at least it can be different. It's like anything else in paintball, just keep your head screwed on straight, and do what you know how to do the best you can. The rest will usually come.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:13 PM #21
OoZoo
Work hard.

OoZoo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
OoZoo is for the Gunfight
OoZoo supports DLX Technology
Sit back and use a Custom 98