Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-29-2011, 12:35 AM #1
MangoPhett

Get Into Pump?

So for my first game I used a rental spyder at the field. The place I play at has more speedball fields with wooden bunkers and smaller fields (Recball?). During the second time of playing paintball in the summer, I used my friend's dad's Phantom open class paintball gun. I loved it, which I think would be surprising for a beginner like me at the time. After that I used an electric Vibe that was a rental, and I was equally impressed with the new style of play it introduced to me, where the pump focused on a more tactical gameplay with more patience, and electric more on suppression and such. But I have been playing for a while and am now thinking about getting a good pump gun as my primary marker. But I want some good reasons as to why I should.

This is my setup:
JT Tac-5m Recon Stock (But with a custom paint job)
Brass Eagle/JT Raptor pump paintball gun (with a sling)
A backpack loaded with gear: CO2 Cartriges, water, pods, paintballs, 1 Grenade, repair supplies, etc.

I bought the raptor, although only 15$, as a good backup and for when I go to woodsball and scenario games. It seemed interesting because I thought of it as a shotgun for breaching buildings and such. But it hit me that I could be using a Phantom or a Tippman SL-68. So why should I?
MangoPhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2011, 01:40 AM #2
EvilAuthorityX
PUMPER_TYLER

EvilAuthorityX is attending Decay of Nations VI
there is no good reason to play pump. you can always play both no need to limit yourself to one or the other.

you could buy an autococker and buy a pump kit that way you can have 1 gun that can be converted back and forth between pump and semi.

EvilAuthorityX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:53 AM #3
Nahib_Stilgar

Why should you play pump? Because you want to, Thats the only reason I can think of.

Pump will limit your fire power but will let you move more...
You can save money playing pump, but not that much...

Don't think of a pump as a shotgun, it only shoots one ball in a single direction unlike a shot gun that blasts a wider spray of 'shot' effectivly increasing your killing zone. Doing building breaches in paintball would be much more effective with something like a mini...

It may be just me but I find pump to be both a little more relaxed but still lets me be as aggressive on the field (movement and play style, not ROF)...

but like the guy above said, why choose one over the other? Keep one (or more) of several different styles and play what you want, when you want, especially if you enjoy all the different styles PB has to offer.
Nahib_Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 AM #4
loneassassin
A Grim and...

There seems to be a common misconception that if you're carrying an electro or even a mech semi, for that matter, that you're automatically relegated to a "suppressive fire," high-volume, 'spray and pray' style of play -- and that by choosing a pump, you're automatically going to be a much more "tactical" style of player. A semi can be shot slow and carefully just like a pump gun -- but a pump can't shoot 15bps (with the exception of a very few custom jobs.) I just had to throw that out there.

In reality, all a pump gun does is force you to play a little more tactically, since it takes away your ability to rely on a high-rof crutch. They do tend to be lighter and thus, you can move marginally faster, but trust me - you can play just as or more aggressively with a semi. (And I'm talking about movement and play style, not ROF).

So really, if you're having a hard time not relying on the "sit back and spray" method of play with a semi, then I'd say going with a pump gun would be a great way to train yourself out of that. Other than that, a pump gun will force you to develop your aggressive side, since you're much better off closer to your opponents.

Hope that all makes sense.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg

Last edited by loneassassin : 11-29-2011 at 08:38 AM.
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:16 PM #5
MangoPhett

Oh ok thanks! Yeah Im actually a super aggressive player, though I can be a little over aggressive when I play. I think I will buy a pump to force me to play more tactical, and then play with my semi the game after it to see if I got better. And as for breeches, shotguns at thay close of a range dont have that much spread. Mainly its used because of the stopping power in shotguns. Using my pump just to breach and such just makes playing those games a little bit more interesting and helps me get into the role I would be playing. Plus, surprisingly, the brass eagle raptor can do that thing where you can hold the trigger and each time you pump it it will shoot. But anyways thanks.
#2sexeh4u
MangoPhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:09 AM #6
loneassassin
A Grim and...

LOL - Fantasy Camp, anyone???

As long as you realize a pump gun doesn't have any more "stopping power" go ahead. Just be ready for the multiple high-firepower semis on the other side of the door you've just "breached."

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:27 PM #7
jdun

jdun owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pumps just handicap yourself so you dont use ramping to rape noobs.
jdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:12 PM #8
Mythslinger

Mythslinger donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun
pumps just handicap yourself so you dont use ramping to rape noobs.
People really need to learn how to adjust the settings on their guns.....
Mythslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:30 PM #9
jdun

jdun owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythslinger View Post
People really need to learn how to adjust the settings on their guns.....
haha i was trying to comment so i could pm haha
jdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:33 PM #10
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilAuthorityX View Post
you could buy an autococker and buy a pump kit that way you can have 1 gun that can be converted back and forth between pump and semi.
The problem is, AutoCockers have to be re-timed after every time they become Snipers. It's impossible, without modification, to remove the 3-way linkage from the vertical ASA without unscrewing it, which messes up the timing...
I don't know of any other markers that can be converted as easily, though!
Noah
Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:50 AM #11
Bean Burritozz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSXyv...e_gdata_player
HOW TO INSTALL AUTOCOCKER PUMP