Community Focus

Old 03-26-2012, 09:15 PM #1
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
To bunker, or not to bunker?

Ok, 'Nation.
Another one of my annoying threads here.
So, the situation is, I'm going paintballing Friday (for the first time in like two months, Colorado weather, y'know?) and I'll be taking a few newbies with me, as I always do. The team wants to play a few games with speedball rules (no surrender distance), but I'm not sure if that's such a good idea with all the newbies. We've all been playing awhile (most of them about three years, and me about five) so we're somewhat desensitized to the impact of a paintball, but the newbies probably won't like it too much.
Should I run a game with just the experienced people, or see how the newbies feel about it and run it, or just say no to the whole business?
I know it's kinda a command decision, but we need some practice with bunkering and close-quarters combat before the tournament. We don't have a airball field anywhere near where we live, but our local field does have a hyperball field.

Anyways, is it a good idea, or should I just say no? Normally, I'd be all for it, as we're all experienced and good with pain, but it's the newbies and low-time people that I'm worried about!

Thanks!
Noah
Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 PM #2
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the USPL
NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
if you need to ask, then you shouldn't be bunkering them.
NoelyDeezNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 PM #3
I need a username
Shark Bait - Rawrrz

I need a username supports Team VICIOUS
I need a username has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I need a username has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I need a username has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I need a username supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelyDeezNutz View Post
/thread
Quitting Sale please take a look!
51st Orca Street Hustlers
I need a username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 PM #4
spaz22colon
thats ery day

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelyDeezNutz View Post
this also,

if they are newbs why would you want to bunker them? Not only will you look like dbags but it makes them not to want to come out. Also you dont need to practice "close quarter combat" this isnt COD. If anything practice snapshooting. But if you really want a bunker drill set up boxes behind the bunkers and practice running down the field with your gun up and shooting the boxes.

If the newbs dont mind being bunkered, still dont do it i mean they are new. Just get in a position to where you can get a good shot on them from a decent distance.
spaz22colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 PM #5
Xal
Red Text

Xal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Xal posts videos on PbNation
Xal has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Xal has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Xal is attending Decay of Nations VI
Honestly I don't see much practice in bunkering newbies. If you guys actually want practice play against people that actually have some experience. All you really do by bunkering newer players is discourage them from wanting to play anymore a lot of the time or at least until they get their own guns haha.
Xal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:30 PM #6
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

Okay, that's what I thought.
We've never lit up or bunkered anyone who even vaguely resembled a noob.
We're a scenario team, so CQC is something that we really need to work on.
As for COD, never played, never plan to. All knowledge I have of it is that it's mindless violence and gives kids skewed impressions on guns (I've dealt with the 10 year-old know it all spouting off about how the SCAR is sooo much better than the M4, or whatever.).

Thanks the for the help. I wasn't planning on driving people away from the sport, which this sounds like it's going to.
Noah
PS: Just some clarity, when we play, we split teams up evenly so that no one team has all the experienced players or whatever. The only possible scenario where we'd put all the noobs on one team is if we're doing some kind of rear-guard scenario, which we've never done and never plan on doing.
Wow, everyone is making us sound like terrible people! Oh well, I asked!
Proud Pumper since 2011

Last edited by 2nwyka : 03-26-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 PM #7
trianglesandtweed

trianglesandtweed plays in the PSP
trianglesandtweed supports Team VICIOUS
if they stick with the game they're gonna get bunkered eventually. why not start em early lol

but seriously if your team is doing drills, i wouldn't suggest using them as targets but if you're playing a game and see a move, i'd say take it. aim for the pack or something. my first day out, i got lit up by the person who brought me there lol. didn't stop me
trianglesandtweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:28 PM #8
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
^ I sort of agree with what he said. The last time I brought a new player with me, I did "bunker" him in a sense, but I did do it from a distance of about 8-12 feet and I only put one in the side of his leg. It is good to get them used to to being shot from closer ranges, but not excessively and not closer than about 10 feet.
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:33 PM #9
Lamron
Metrowest Bulldogs #5

Lamron has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Lamron is attending Decay of Nations VI
I'll tell you what happened with me one time. I was in line and going onto the field, it was an open game and there were a lot of self equiped. Some of the rentals/noobs got in line to get in the game. The ref saw them and yelled out that there was no surrender rule in this game. One of the kids looks at me and asks "what did that mean?" I told him it meant that I could shoot him point blank. He looked at me with a blank stare. So during the game I wound up bunkering some one(not one of them). After the game, the kid that I bunkered and I went to the other kid(renter/noob) to show him what happened. We showed him the mark from my shot and I thought he was going to pass out. It was funny, his eyes bugged out when he saw it. I said that is what happens when there is no surrender rule.

My point would be if you let them know what could happen, then leave it up to them, but make sure they have ALL the info they can. But as a general rule(for me anyway) I don't even walk the trigger when/if I play rentals/noobs let alone bunker them.

Aug 9th 2014 Fox 4 Paintball in Mass. I wrote and my team is hosting a scenario game based on the board game Monopoly. Come down and check out a unique and fun game. :-)
Lamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:57 PM #10
CVeaglespaintball
NYU '17

CVeaglespaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CVeaglespaintball plays in the APPA D5 division
CVeaglespaintball supports Empire
I tend not to bunker people in recball, especially if its obvious that they're new. I'll bunker my friends or more experienced players, but the renters and new guys are looking for a fun day of paintball, they don't want to deal with getting the **** shot out of them by more experienced players. But if you really need to, or are trying to get someone used to the idea of bunkering, just aim for something that won't hurt too bad, i.e. don't shoot for the head or testicles.
CVeaglespaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 PM #11
trianglesandtweed

trianglesandtweed plays in the PSP
trianglesandtweed supports Team VICIOUS
oh i when OP said noobs i thought we were talking about beginners not rentals, not sure why. if you're up against a rental you probably shouldn't go up and bunker him lol you don't wanna give em the wrong impression.

we were just messing around one day by ourselves and a few rentals came in maybe like 15 or 16. it took us an hour to convince one of them to join us and when he finally did, he kept yelling to his friends to come play cuz it was awesome. that's what it's all about. i'm sure if we bunkered him for no reason he wouldn't have had as much fun.

not sure what the difference is between someone who's renting and someone who's got their own gear but clearly green as grass but in my $#$%ed up mind there is
trianglesandtweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 PM #12
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

I dial it WAAAY back when I play with rentals or noobs, and we all have mechanicals, most with single, unwalkable triggers.

As for bunkering, we never play without the option of surrender, but we do get a certain rush from bunkering each other. Most of the time, though, we'll surrender noobs. Thanks for the advice, guys!
Noah
Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 03-27-2012, 11:43 PM #13
Mrob1995
Day Man (Ah-Ah-AHHH)

Mrob1995 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mrob1995 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Mrob1995 supports DLX Technology
Don't want to deter them from the sport before they can get into it lol
Mrob1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 PM #14
I'm Batman
Total Noob w/ Good Gear

I'm Batman owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I'm Batman has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm Batman has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I tend to try not to bunker anyone who I think/know is newer at the sport. I would hate to scare people off and ruin someone's fun. My niece is just starting to like the sport so if she happens to be on the other team when we play, I try not to go too hard at it, but I am still a fairly active and aggressive player. I don't much care about being shot out because..well I can just play the next round. I've sprinted right up to the opposing side's 30 before, just because no one stopped me til I got there.

But not really good to bunker newer players, in the end. Sometimes it happens, though. You don't always know who might be behind a certain bunker, especially in larger rec games, so I tend to try to aim low anyway. Like, for a pack or their legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trianglesandtweed View Post
not sure what the difference is between someone who's renting and someone who's got their own gear but clearly green as grass but in my $#$%ed up mind there is
Depends on the gear a little bit. Usually rentals are mechanical spyders or tippmanns. I couldn't go too easy on my nephews when they started. One had my old Ion and the other had a PMR, and just because they were new, didn't mean they couldn't walk those triggers just as fast as I could...and they did.

Just wanted a change so I changed names. Still the same ol' me, though.
NEW FEEDBACK
New Old Feedback
Old Old Feedback

Total Feedback: 19+/0-
I never finish anthi...
I'm Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 PM #15
molybdenum
Aspiring Ninja

My policy is, if they don't know what bunkering is, don't bunker them.

Once someone is familiar with it, I say fair game. It's just that many new players don't even know that such a thing occurs, and so are completely unprepared for it.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:35 PM #16
MulishaSoldier929

I stick to woodzball mostly but I have played speedball here and there with some friends one time I played I was in a situation where I ran up the line and came up to to the last guy left on the other team with his back to me. Didn't even know I was there. Let me preface this by saying that the other team was very good. We were walk on tippmanns. So to be winning was a big deal, especially after a long day of losing. I yelled surrender but what I got was a slow turn around and a lit up arm. We were close enough that it broke thru my shirt material and broke skin. I was beyond pissed and fired back but I was called out. He ended up winning the match for his team.
Since then I have taken surrender out of my vocabulary and replaced it with a bunker shot to the butt. If it was me in his situation I would have surrendered but I guess not everyone is as nice as me.

Last edited by MulishaSoldier929 : 03-28-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling error
MulishaSoldier929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:44 PM #17
gixer2000

gixer2000 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gixer2000 supports Pev's Paintball
gixer2000 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
For me bunkering is a last resort even with experienced players. Im not saying I dont enjoy doing it but at the same time im not out there to hurt anyone. I wont skip an important move to avoid bunkering someone but try to kill em before I get to that point.
gixer2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 PM #18
happy7833

happy7833 is playing at Living Legends V
happy7833 is for the Gunfight
happy7833 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
When you go up unless you are in a tournament aim for the feet or arm.
happy7833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:53 PM #19
happy7833

happy7833 is playing at Living Legends V
happy7833 is for the Gunfight
happy7833 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
A place that wouldn't seriously hurt the person
happy7833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:59 PM #20
SouthernStyle

If these people are new that is going to play with you. Dont bunker them. They may think whoa that hurt and I dont want to come back. Save the bunkering for more seasoned players. Take your friends and have a good time.
SouthernStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 PM #21
ajose96

make 'em surrunder
ajose96 is offline   Reply With Quote