Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-25-2012, 09:12 PM #1
I need a name

Protein Powder/Shake Recommendation?

After several injuries, I've really slacked off with exercise over the past 8-12 months. I'm looking to pick back up with it, lose some pounds, and regain muscle mass.

I'm looking for a protein shake that fits the following criteria:

-Low calorie
-Decent Taste
-Can be used as a filling meal replacement.
-Helps build muscle (Obviously...)

I picked up some GNC Lean meal replacement protein powder, but after reading some reviews of it I learned that it contains relatively low amounts of supposedly cheap protein.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2012, 09:20 PM #2
Squirrelly Wrath
Crush Your Enemies

Squirrelly Wrath supports Team VICIOUS
Learn how to fill your own ****ing macros.

Genetics.
Squirrelly Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:15 AM #3
only4theweak187

eat food
Old 03-26-2012, 09:42 AM #4
I need a name

I asked a simple question... Obviously, I know that eating food is better... I'm looking for something that can hold me over between meals though as I am not always able to make/pick up something that is healthy.

Is myotein decent?
I need a name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM #5
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide(Cinna Roll or Lemon Cake), Iforce Protean(Red Velvet Cake is amazing) or Trutein. Best tasting protein supps on the market right now.
Pirate Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 AM #6
I need a name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Mafia View Post
Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide(Cinna Roll or Lemon Cake), Iforce Protean(Red Velvet Cake is amazing) or Trutein. Best tasting protein supps on the market right now.
Thanks for the help. What "ingredients" should I be looking for in protein shakes to serve as a mean replacement, help build muscle mass, and assist with burning fat?

I'm on a 1500 calorie diet with 60 minutes of cardio and additional time spent lifting. Hoping to see some fast results. I'm down 8lbs in the past week, but I have a feeling that's mainly water weight.

Also, should I be using water or milk with the shakes?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 AM #7
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Honestly, you should never use a shake to replace a meal. If you have too though, look at Controlled Labs Gold Feast.

Muscle- Training and nutrition, no supplement (non-hormonal) will do this for you.

Burn fat- Cardio and calorie deficit.

Try to aim for no more than 2lbs a week, anymore and you're experiencing muscle atrophy.

I prefer milk. Also, check out daily macro nutrients, that will help you out quite a bit.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:53 PM #8
I need a name

Should I go with controlled labs gold feast, extreme formulations ultra peptide, BSN lean protein dessert, or just stick with the GNC lean meal replacement?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:00 PM #9
FHS JewFro
black AND white

Quote:
Originally Posted by I need a name View Post
Thanks for the help. What "ingredients" should I be looking for in protein shakes to serve as a mean replacement, help build muscle mass, and assist with burning fat?

I'm on a 1500 calorie diet with 60 minutes of cardio and additional time spent lifting. Hoping to see some fast results. I'm down 8lbs in the past week, but I have a feeling that's mainly water weight.

pretty low cals with a lot of cardio + lifting = ?!?!?! pretty sure thats like what women do brahh
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
FHS JewFro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:06 PM #10
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Quote:
Should I go with controlled labs gold feast, extreme formulations ultra peptide, BSN lean protein dessert, or just stick with the GNC lean meal replacement?
I prefer gold feast, minimal filler and it actually has fruit/veggie extracts in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHS JewFro View Post
pretty low cals with a lot of cardio + lifting = ?!?!?! pretty sure thats like what women do brahh
This. Rethink your caloric intake.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:16 PM #11
I need a name

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHS JewFro View Post
I'm looking to lose about 15 pounds, then start up with higher calories and heavy lifting.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:18 PM #12
iizmatts
Me Gusta

iizmatts plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Thanks for the help. What "ingredients" should I be looking for in protein shakes to serve as a mean replacement, help build muscle mass, and assist with burning fat?I'm on a 1500 calorie diet with 60 minutes of cardio and additional time spent lifting. Hoping to see some fast results. I'm down 8lbs in the past week, but I have a feeling that's mainly water weight.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you will not be doing both of these things at the same time, naturally ofc.
iizmatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:22 PM #13
I need a name

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by iizmatts View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you will not be doing both of these things at the same time, naturally ofc.
I already knew this. I'm starting with a low calorie diet to drop some pounds, then after I do that I'm going to start up with high calories and heavy lifting.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:25 PM #14
FHS JewFro
black AND white

heavy lifting serves very well with fat loss fyi

up your cals a bit brah, the scale will slow down but it will be more consistent and it will be better weight loss aka more fat less muscle (if your diet is on point, like you say it is)

lesson? always lift heavy
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
Old 03-26-2012, 06:30 PM #15
I need a name

I asked this earlier, but only got one response. It was helpful, but I'm looking for a few more opinions.

After doing a bit of research on them, gold labs looks to be the most "healthy" option for a meal replacement. However, I hate when things have a strong lemon taste to them. I prefer a more sweet tasting protein shake and have really grown to like the GNC ones.

Also, should I only be using these shakes as a form of meal replacement or should I also be taking them before/after workouts? How many a day should I take?

One more question... What do you guys think of the GNC Burn 60 pills? They have some mixed reviews, but if it helps burn off more calories, I'm game for it. Are they just overpriced caffeine?

Last edited by I need a name : 03-26-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:56 PM #16
tanner202

1. Buy whatever the **** you want. Your choice of protein isnt going to make or break your physique.
2. "Meal replacement" bull**** is for women. Eat right and SUPPLEMENT with powder, thats what its for
3. Take pwo, make sure youre hitting your macros. You need to seriously read up on those before you buy supplements or you are wasting your money
4. Dont buy them

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
tanner202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:14 PM #17
I need a name

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner202 View Post
1. Buy whatever the **** you want. Your choice of protein isnt going to make or break your physique.
2. "Meal replacement" bull**** is for women. Eat right and SUPPLEMENT with powder, thats what its for
3. Take pwo, make sure youre hitting your macros. You need to seriously read up on those before you buy supplements or you are wasting your money
4. Dont buy them
It's either a meal replacement shake for lunch, or no lunch at all. I don't have time to make anything that's healthy. I would just like the shake to have some sort of nutritional value. The gold feat seems to fit the bill, but lemon just sounds disgusting.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 PM #18
FHS JewFro
black AND white

make food at the beginning of the week so that you can take it with you to work through the week

Old 03-26-2012, 08:44 PM #19
I need a name

After doing a bit more research, it seems that for best results I should get one powder that contains oats or casein for meal replacement and one whey powder for right after workouts.

Is this true? If so, I'll stick to the GNC shakes or get gold feast for meal replacement and pick up the xtreme formulations ultra peptide for after.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 PM #20
Barber
Moose Krew.

has been a member for 10 years
Barber plays in the PSP
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
I guarantee that you can find a food to eat for lunch. Pack a lunchbox. Or beef jerky, tuna pouches, etc.

If you really want to change your body, you need to put more effort into it. Making time to eat real food is part of that effort.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 PM #21
tanner202

cook up 5 pounds of chicken at the begining of the week along with 10 cups of rice and toss in some tupperware, problem solved

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
tanner202 is offline   Reply With Quote