PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-26-2012, 12:20 PM #22
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
I went to see this with my wife, this past Saturday.

I was left disappointed. I felt that there was something important missing, but I couldn't put my finger on it. So much happened where my only response was "Why?"

I don't feel this was a good movie, even though I have thoroughly enjoyed the main actress in many of her roles (See Winter's Bone). It feels too much like the hack tactic of creating a movie with the intention of multiple sequels.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:29 PM #23
JeepRallye08
KCMO

I think they should do a book/movie on the uprising of distric 13. everything that lead up to it and suck. I enjoyed the story of the first book, the writing was meh. movie was ok. even though it was 2.5 hours long i feel like they rushed the story and left out a lot of details and even changed some stuff.

"Originally posted by apes4us: :dodgyrun: Yeah, this is shaping up to be the first and last time I post in small talk. Mostly trolls and idiots that think Ebay just gave them a virus. :facepalm:"

"Originally posted by daily_horrors:This should be YOUR sig"
JeepRallye08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:06 PM #24
PM6 Scenerio Player
Its spelled correctly!!!

I gave it a 7. I liked the movie but I thought the character development in terms of relationship was lacking. I thought the concept is fantastic but the movie seemed to be missing something to me. I havent read the book but I think i will.

NY Knicks Melo got knocked out!!

2014 Yanks!
Luxe #258
PM6 Scenerio Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:15 PM #25
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

has been a member for 10 years
digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard plays in the APPA D5 division
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard supports Empire
I think some of the problem is a lot of things, in the book, are internal thoughts/monologue from Katniss. It explains a lot during those.

They couldn't really do that in the movie so they tried to visually give you some hints at those things. For those who have read the book they get them for the most part, and those who haven't get some of it, but not all and feel some is missing.

Hopefully, the future movies will be able to utilize this fan feedback and try to make those "previously internal" moments somehow more obvious to the viewer.
digitard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:22 PM #26
iiDangerCloseBK
EAT MY SHORTS!

Annual Supporting Member
iiDangerCloseBK owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
iiDangerCloseBK supports Team VICIOUS
iiDangerCloseBK is an NCPA player
iiDangerCloseBK is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
iiDangerCloseBK is Legendary
iiDangerCloseBK supports DLX Technology
The funny thing about this movie is that it was 2:30 hours and everyone, including myself, felt like it was missing so much!

Axe User's Club | | Rotor Mafia | | Ninja User's Club | | Headband Ballers | | E-Flex Army | | World Ballas Club
iiDangerCloseBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 PM #27
vikingshadow
SCHWING!

Annual Supporting Member
vikingshadow is a Moderator
vikingshadow supports Team VICIOUS
vikingshadow supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwned6911 View Post
In regards to your spoiler, I feel like they will pick up with that at the beginning of the second movie.
I agree and feel if the do make the second (duh, no brainer) they MUST start with that - it wasn't all that obvious in the first movie and I feel it's integral to the second movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitard View Post
I think some of the problem is a lot of things, in the book, are internal thoughts/monologue from Katniss. It explains a lot during those.
Totally agree. Most of the first book was Katniss by herself, so really we are just reading her thoughts, so to speak. And, like you said, this isn't translated well to movies.

I do believe this will be a successful trilogy and yes, I still believe that the books were made with the intention of turning them into movies. In this case, I think it works. Also, remember, the first Harry Potter movie was filmed for a specific group and a little lacking (IMHO) when compared to the subsequent movies.

I'm selling all my paintball stuff! Look here! My Baby! Phantom Pump
vikingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 PM #28
GB20
G-no

GB20 is a Professional paintball player
GB20 is a Forum Captain
I never heard about the book. Despite hearing great reviews about the book, when I saw this kid in the previews... made me not want to watch.

There's just something about him that rubs me the wrong way. idk
INFAMOUS #20
JACKSONVILLE RAIDERS #20
VICIOUS #00
GB20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 PM #29
iiDangerCloseBK
EAT MY SHORTS!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB20 View Post
I never heard about the book. Despite hearing great reviews about the book, when I saw this kid in the previews... made me not want to watch.

There's just something about him that rubs me the wrong way. idk
What does what the person looks like have to do with you not wanting to see the movie, thats dumb?

Axe User's Club | | Rotor Mafia | | Ninja User's Club | | Headband Ballers | | E-Flex Army | | World Ballas Club
Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 PM #30
GB20
G-no

GB20 is a Professional paintball player
GB20 is a Forum Captain
The previews make it seem like he has decent sized role in the movie. Judging by the lack of acting skills he has demonstrated in his previous roles, I was estimating the level of acting for the whole movie to be more or less, around his level. Obviously I could be dead wrong, but that's just an initial impression.

And again, idk... maybe it's his face has this weird look that I find douche like. I honestly don't know.
INFAMOUS #20
JACKSONVILLE RAIDERS #20
VICIOUS #00
GB20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 PM #31
ddr421
GIT-R-DONE

ddr421 supports Team VICIOUS
ddr421 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ddr421 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ddr421 supports DLX Technology
i saw it cause of Jennifer Lawrence!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 PM #32
DaEagleEye8
Uconn Husky

DaEagleEye8 helped look for balloons
DaEagleEye8 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DaEagleEye8 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DaEagleEye8 is an NCPA player
Girlfriend made me watch this. I never read the book (nor do I plan to), but I was actually fairly surprised. I thought it was pretty good until they decided to make it into Twilight in the last 30 minutes. I just read through your comments and I too felt something was missing.
Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)
I actually thought she was legitimately starting to like the kid in the cave. I get that she got that note thing, but it still seemed real based on the conversation. My gf had to tell me about the book and how the next few books were pretty much about their fake relationship once the movie was over.
That pretty much turned me off from the rest of the series right there lol (as again, it sounds just like Twilight).
DaEagleEye8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 AM #33
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard plays in the APPA D5 division
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard supports Empire
It's not, because that's just a portion of the story.

Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)
Obviously being targeted for the teen demographic there's a love portion the story. It has it's place, though. She cared for one person. Had to survive, and basically put on a show... but some of that rubs off. etc etc.

That's only a portion of the story, though. So much of the next two books is based on Katniss, and the dominoes she started tumbling when she defied the capital. Snow doesn't forget. People look to her as The Mockingjay. She starts something, and it's going to change her entire world.

It's much much more than the love story, but even that has a place. It's ****ing nothing like Twilight (in all fairness I've never seen or read Twighlight, but from what I've heard and movie previews... it's nothing like that

You have to remember, that she had to cater to the masses as a favorite to get sponsors. That's how you survive the Arena to a degree. That's how SO many things are now. People who watch shows root for the one they can relate to. She did that in THG, and it had a point. It wasn't just a love story for the sake of being mushy... it was to survive, but it has it's place. It's actually fairly realistic in terms of catering to the masses.
digitard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:05 AM #34
PM6 Scenerio Player
Its spelled correctly!!!

Not sure if anyoen seen this article. I thought it was interesting and personally had no problems with the casting in this movie at all.

http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hu...the-movie-made

Sorry, I didnt copy the images of Tweets click link to see them.
Quote:
Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed
The good news? The Hunger Games made $155 million at the box office its opening weekend, making it the third-best debut in North American box office history. The bad news, however, reflects a level of idiocy that we weren't really expecting.
As CNN reports, "Only Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and The Dark Knight — both sequels, with the strength of a franchise behind each — recorded bigger opening weekends." Plus, unlike those two flicks, Hunger Games was written by a woman and stars a woman (much as we love JK Rowling, her series isn't named after Hermione) — making it a true lady-centric blockbuster franchise.

Now as you may know, Katniss, the main character in the book and film, was described as having "straight black hair" and "olive skin." It's a post-apocalyptic world, so she could be a mix of things, but some pictured a Native American. Blonde-haired, blue-eyed Jennifer Lawrence won the part and dyed her hair dark.

But when it came to the casting of Rue, Thresh, and Cinna, many audience members did not understand why there were black actors playing those parts. Cinna's skin is not discussed in the book, so truthfully, though Lenny Kravitz was cast, a white, Asian or Latino actor could have played the part.

But. On page 45 of Suzanne Collins's book, Katniss sees Rue for the first time:

…And most hauntingly, a twelve-year-old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that's she's very like Prim in size and demeanor…

Later, she sees Thresh:

The boy tribute from District 11, Thresh, has the same dark skin as Rue, but the resemblance stops there. He's one of the giants, probably six and half feet tall and built like an ox.

Dark skin. That is what the novelist, the creator of the series, specified. But there were plenty of audience members who were "shocked," or confused, or just plain angry.

The tumblr Hunger Games Tweets has collected a smattering of Twitter postings, with the goal of exposing "Hunger Games fans on Twitter who dare to call themselves fans yet don't know a damn thing about the books." What people are saying is disappointing, sad, stomach-churning, and just plain racist.

Full sizeThis young woman considered the movie "ruined."

Full sizeThis girl wants to know why they "made all the good characters black." Good people cannot possibly be black. Black people are villainous. Duh.

Full size"Stick to the book dude." Read the book again, carefully this time, dude.

Full sizeAt least this person had the good sense to hate himself.

The actress Amandla Stenberg literally looks like a tiny angel, but this movie-goer equates blonde with innocence. A little black girl is not automatically innocent, no. Only a little white girl. Actually, only a blonde.

Full sizeThe posts go on and on and on. It's not just a coupe of tweets, it's not just a coincidence. There's an underlying rage, coming out as overt prejudice and plain old racism. Sternberg is called a "black *****," a "******" and one person writes that though he pictured Rue with "darker skin," he "didn't really take it all the way to black." It's as if that is the worst possible thing a person could be. As the person who runs the tumblr writes:

Here's what scares me…

All these… people… read the Hunger Games. Clearly, they all fell in love with and cared about Rue. Though what they really fell in love with was an image of Rue that they'd created in their minds. A girl that they knew they could love and adore and mourn at the thought of knowing that she's been brutally killed.

And then the casting is revealed (or they go see the movie) and they're shocked to see that Rue is black. Now… this is so much more than, "Oh, she's bigger than I thought". The reactions are all based on feelings of disgust.

These people are MAD that the girl that they cried over while reading the book was "some black girl" all along. So now they're angry. Wasted tears, wasted emotions. It's sad to think that had they known that she was black all along, there would have been [no] sorrow or sadness over her death.

There are MAJOR TIE-INS to these reactions and the injustices that we see around the world today. I don't even need to spell it out because I know that you're all a smart bunch.

This is a BIG problem. Think of all the murdered children. Think of all the missing children that get NO SCREEN TIME on the news.

It is NOT a coincidence.

THIS is the purpose of my blog… and to also point out ****ty reading comprehension. LOL
In Shawshank, "Red" was casted to Morgan Freeman and in the book the character was cleary described as a white man. I didnt see this much back lash over it. The weird part to me is that Rue is described as a "Dark Skinned" girl in the book and these people are just plain upset and nasty about it.

NY Knicks Melo got knocked out!!

2014 Yanks!
Luxe #258
PM6 Scenerio Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:57 AM #35
KyIsBack
Flim Flam

Racists gonna racist.

POW
KyIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 AM #36
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
That isn't racism, that is people upset with a vision other than their own. They'd have been upset regardless.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:37 AM #37
KyIsBack
Flim Flam

POW
KyIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:56 PM #38
USAFWD
Privates Investigator

Annual Supporting Member
USAFWD is a Mega Moderator
USAFWD plays in the PSP
USAFWD donated to help Peyton Trent
USAFWD supports our troops
USAFWD supports DLX Technology
USAFWD is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
I was left disappointed. I felt that there was something important missing, but I couldn't put my finger on it.
I saw the movie yesterday and left feeling the same way. I enjoyed the movie... but I left feeling there was something missing from the movie. It seemed "empty" to me. Maybe not enough character development?
USAFWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 PM #39
vikingshadow
SCHWING!

Annual Supporting Member
vikingshadow is a Moderator
vikingshadow supports our troops
I think that the point WAS to make you feel like something is missing. What better way to get you to come to the sequel than to find the missing pieces from the first one?

I'm telling you, this was set up as a movie trilogy why they were being written. Nothing wrong with it, just seems more of a money grab than anything.

I'm selling all my paintball stuff! Look here! My Baby! Phantom Pump
vikingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 PM #40
iiDangerCloseBK
EAT MY SHORTS!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB20 View Post
The previews make it seem like he has decent sized role in the movie. Judging by the lack of acting skills he has demonstrated in his previous roles, I was estimating the level of acting for the whole movie to be more or less, around his level. Obviously I could be dead wrong, but that's just an initial impression.

And again, idk... maybe it's his face has this weird look that I find douche like. I honestly don't know.
Considering the only movies he is known for, he was a kid. And his face does look douche'y lol.
Someone tell me how to do the spoiler thing.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:03 AM #41
JeepRallye08
KCMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
I went to see this with my wife, this past Saturday.

I was left disappointed. I felt that there was something important missing, but I couldn't put my finger on it. So much happened where my only response was "Why?"

I don't feel this was a good movie, even though I have thoroughly enjoyed the main actress in many of her roles (See Winter's Bone). It feels too much like the hack tactic of creating a movie with the intention of multiple sequels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFWD View Post
I saw the movie yesterday and left feeling the same way. I enjoyed the movie... but I left feeling there was something missing from the movie. It seemed "empty" to me. Maybe not enough character development?
thats how the first book is. i think they got that part right. it leaves you with a lot of questions that get answered the further you go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiDangerCloseBK View Post
Considering the only movies he is known for, he was a kid. And his face does look douche'y lol.
Someone tell me how to do the spoiler thing.
read the sticky on the first page about it

"Originally posted by apes4us: :dodgyrun: Yeah, this is shaping up to be the first and last time I post in small talk. Mostly trolls and idiots that think Ebay just gave them a virus. :facepalm:"

"Originally posted by daily_horrors:This should be YOUR sig"
JeepRallye08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 PM #42
Xonin

I was disappointed by the fact that they didn't show any killing. As someone who watches a large amount of violent TV/Movies I would've expected a more gruesome viewing experience from a movie specifically about a 24 person battle royale.
Xonin is offline   Reply With Quote