PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyScenario Ups

Old 08-30-2012, 09:53 PM #64
biffmann

biffmann is attending Decay of Nations VI
Whats the schedule of events? Like what time is registration, paint sales, safety briefing etc...

Drexel Paintball #98
biffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2012, 07:26 AM #65
jlmitchell74

Weather's great here. Should be around 100 or so. Field looks great as always, maybe a little muddy in some areas, but just adds to the fun. All the times for everything is posted on Ivans Facebook page. This should be a great weekend. Just make sure to have lots of water. Hope you have a good time. Bbq Saturday night. I'm almost done cooking it.

Nightmare
Texas Roughnecks
jlmitchell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 PM #66
Wakewarrior7
Now in Technicolor

I'll say it. For the group I came with, this game was a bust. The 1st game was a cluster, and the 2nd was a bigger cluster. DFW is a beautiful field, the paint was great, but this was not a very well run game. We ended up leaving after the 2nd game was over. $65 entry, $69 paint, $80 in gas for there and back... Could have bought 3 cases and entry at a local field for some walk on play and have a better time.
Wakewarrior7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:30 PM #67
Gummibear

well, it was my first Scenario, and first time at DFWAP. A friend and I went, and intended to hook up with the PPS SFO group since we've been playing at FOTR since getting back into the sport, but we were at our cars getting geared up when the first group of of Allies headed out. It was all good though, since everyone was very friendly and helpful, and we ended up with another group that was a well coordinated couple of squads.

We took the first town real quick but made the mistake of pushing too far into the woods and got flanked by the Germans. That's really where our first issue began. The refs didn't provide clear instructions back to our green dead zone. They told me to follow the road until I got to a bridge and then come back in because the dead zone was on the far side. Unfortunately the road they meant to talk about wasn't the "road", but the trail out of town. Instead of a 100 yard walk past COMM, I ended up following the road past some pretty nice germans almost all the way back to the store out front! I chalked it up to a combination of being new to the field, and poor instructions on the Ref's part. When I finally did find the dead zone 20 minutes later, it was full of allies who'd gotten similar instructions and wandered around for a while until they found a ref that knew where it was. By that point the allies had taken COMM and were ready to move on.

Anyway, that's my only suggestion is a unified, clear set of instructions for the refs. I know they're young, and training is the most difficult part of the job for service oriented jobs like that at the small business level, so it's no big deal, especially since I'm SURE a lot of it was my fault for being a newb

All in all, had a blast! I'm local and pre-reg for both days, but man, after all the walking yesterday I'll probably pass on day two. To the group that ended up taking us in (Sorry, didn't get your unit name), thanks a lot for the fun! Everyone was great, and I look forward to more Scenario fun!
Gummibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:12 AM #68
dorsai

has been a member for 10 years
dorsai posts videos on PbNation
Getting people who are typically players to skip playing, in order
to earn a few bucks, has always led to problems. It's part of what
most of us expect to have to deal with. A word of advice, get to
the site early enough so you can recon the field and learn where
the DZs and critical installations are. This is especially important
if there's a night aspect, as things appear different once it gets
dark.

As for the player who was disapointmented with the game, it'd
be nice if you'd outline what the problems you encountered where,
rather than just saying it wasn't well run to the point you left?

Which side were you on, what happened to cause you to leave,
etc??

Thanks!
Office: 407.563.3884
Cell: 239.410.9632
Email: ADorsai@aol.com
dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:42 PM #69
Rightrib

Rightrib has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Played on the german side. Some of the issues I experienced were unable to tell teams apart due to no tape or markings being required for the first game, refs didnt seem to care(was told 3 different locations for the dead zone) and had to miss the mission briefing if you wanted air. For the 2nd game you were able to tell teams apart better due to someone buying tape but there was told by 3 different refs where it was suppose to go. Beginning of the 2nd game allies camped the german spawn. Some standing right out on the trail and lots more in the trees ready to shoot any germans spawning. I'm sure there is more. Overall the players were good, paint was great and I really enjoy this field but the game felt like it was just thrown together on a moments notice. I also left before the 2nd game was over along with alot of other that were unhappy. Was told while on the way home that the 2nd game was canceled due to no players.
Rightrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:03 PM #70
Wakewarrior7
Now in Technicolor

Well, the sides were VERY uneven. Heard from a ref during the 1st game that the sides were about 160 U.S. to 90 Germans. A buddy that played on the American side called me confirming it as he had heard it from the game coordinator.

There was some miscommunication as to differentiating the sides. Germans were told the Americans had blue on their hoppers. Turns out, the 1st game it didn't happen. They had nothing on their hoppers. The from what I heard, the coordinator was blaming the generals and didn't want anything to do with it.

If you asked a ref a question, a few were on point, most had no clue. When it came to calling people out though, they were on point. I know there is a sense of integrity to calling yourself out, but there was a huge lack of that from both sides, and the refs were earning their pay continuously yanking dudes who refused to leave.

The spawns the 1st game IMO were pretty good. There were 2 per side and in very different locations. The 2nd game was a mess. The American spawn was in a great central spot, and the German spawn was off in one corner. The Americans locked the Germans into their spawn point quickly, and when the Germans finally broke out, the allies were able to easily cut the axis off from the higher scoring point objectives as their spawn was much closer to them, as well as the Germans had to go very close to the American spawn to get anywhere close to them.

After the 2nd game, we were done. We started packing and heard an announcement that I guess there was supposed to be a third game and that was being cancelled. I guess we weren't the only ones who were ticked off because my allied buddy said that this morning only had about 50 people and of that a handful of Germans. He left before sides got re-organized as he had enough at that point.

It was a broken game from the sides being so uneven to begin with, and add everything else on top of that and the game lost all balance. It wasn't just my group that was upset either...

Lastly, it wasn't anything more than an annoyance, but if you pre-reg, you were supposed to get a t-shirt. That didn't happen.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:38 AM #71
dorsai

Wakewarrior,

Sorry to hear the game didn't go as well as everyone had hoped,
especially since I took the time to help promote it. Not sure how
a sceanrio event can be broken down into a series of games, but
I understand there was some swtching of sides to help balance
things out, just not sure when that occured.

Hope those who stayed at least got to enjoy that beef brisket and
a few liquid refreshments when it was all said and done.

Sincerely,
Old 09-03-2012, 10:31 AM #72
Wakewarrior7
Now in Technicolor

It wasn't your fault dorsai. The original plan was to go to the viper game, but life happens and we really wanted an out of state scenario. The re-balance happened before the 1st game Sunday.

As for how the games get broken down, it's pretty common. It would be like taking d-day and break it into parts. For example you would make the beach assault a couple hours long with every player there. Then a set period of time that part is over and everyone has some time to take a break to re-load, get air, and whatever else they need to do. It's like taking multiple mini games and crafting them into a single story. It's very common at fields that do not have the size of dday as one side might start to get a foothold and then end up in complete control of the game. By breaking it into multiple games, you have a reset that in theory, gives each side an even chance to win that game. Also, the breaks help keep people from falling out due to exhaustion. When the game only has a few hundred total players, this type of game setup helps maximize how many players actually stay on the field.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:56 AM #73
dorsai

Wakewarrior7,

Thanks, now I understand what they meant by game 1, 2, etc.

Sincerely,
Old 09-04-2012, 06:00 AM #74
dorsai

Sunday AM shootout.

Chris Neighbors, with the 'D-Day Allied Army' posted up this clip
from Sunday morning, after he and some of our players switched
over to help bolster the Germans.

Enjoy!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:34 AM #75
J.Smith

The game was made of what you would call stages. Morning and afternoon of each day and what was to be a big "final" battle at the end of the frist day, this part was canceled by Ivan and the commanders due to heat and not wanting to push the players to far.
And yes, the sides were not as even as we all would like them to be.
At the end of the saterday morning stage, the Germans had a good lead but after lunch the game went the other way. The Allies took almos all the points for the second stage. Trust me, that was not the plan. This gave the Allies a good lead at the end of the frist day.
On Sunday, there was a head count and several players switched over to play German. The switch did help with game balance and Bouth sides scored the same amount of points in the Sunday mornning stage.
After the lunch brake, there were fewer and fewer players on the field as the day went on.
In the end the winner of the game was decided in the last 45 min. of play.

I would like to thank all the players that stayed and played the game to the end in the heat.
Me and the group that played with me, 12 in all, had a great time and will be back next year.
J.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:49 PM #76
Ic3m4n

I was actually one of the refs at this game and personally called in the scoring about 85% of the objectives (including special missions).... After read all of these post on a few sites now what i noticed and was later told by one of the hire ranking axis guys was that he wanted his unit, one of the stronger units, to "play it cool and lay low for today (this was saturday) so that we can make more of a game out of it tomorrow." What i noticed was that the allies were holding objectives for 10 -15 mins at a time. Some times axis would never even show up, some times they would start their attack late. Also to touch on the registration "the sides were VERY uneven. Heard from a ref during the 1st game that the sides were about 160 U.S. to 90 Germans"; this was simply untrue. I am not sure who people talked to but i personally helped with registration and saw the numbers as well, the allies had less then 10 more people the the axis after doing the math it was about a 1.1-1.2:1 ratio. I am not saying this was a flawless game by any means but a axis did not execute well at all on saturday. At the end of saturday all the allies had to do was secure 1000 points (3-4 objectives really) and it would be impossible for the axis to win. the points at then end of saturday were 2400-800 if i remember right. it would be nice to see more allies speak up about their experience as well; though.
Ic3m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:35 PM #77
Wakewarrior7
Now in Technicolor

Ivan said it was 160-90... If the guy who shot the video a few posts up is the same person I think he is, he heard the conversation, as well as about another 10 individuals whom were there. The justification was that d-day runs a 4:1 ratio of Allies to Germans (yes d-day guys, I know it's a 5:4 ratio). That was from the coordinator's mouth. A ref I spoke to said "Unfortunately, sometimes this is just how this game goes." Really cool guy that flat out said the game was screwed.

If you're sticking by what you posted, now we have some contradiction...
Old 09-06-2012, 09:40 PM #78
Ic3m4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakewarrior7 View Post
Ivan said it was 160-90... If the guy who shot the video a few posts up is the same person I think he is, he heard the conversation, as well as about another 10 individuals whom were there. The justification was that d-day runs a 4:1 ratio of Allies to Germans (yes d-day guys, I know it's a 5:4 ratio). That was from the coordinator's mouth. A ref I spoke to said "Unfortunately, sometimes this is just how this game goes." Really cool guy that flat out said the game was screwed.

If you're sticking by what you posted, now we have some contradiction...
people must have switch teams after registering then because the i personally went back and verified along with mudrat and kat and that was while all 3 of us were lookin at the registration at AP. Allies did out number axis but it wasnt by 70 people. Not saying you are wrong just saying that that is not what registration showed. All good though I hope you will come back for Maintain the quarantine ran by mudrat and we were solders ran by masta cheif, those are the next two games at AP
Ic3m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 PM #79
Torn
OG

Torn is a founding member
Torn plays in the PSP
Torn plays in the APPA D4 division
Torn supports Empire
I played on the allies side with the PPS-SFO I am not sure what the total numbers were but I know I saw alot of Axis players leaving saturday and sunday afternoons. We personally made sure our guys stayed for the whole game both days. I know by the end of sunday all the axis had left on the field was about 5-10 players with tippmans giving it thier all. I personally had a blast and I would have had the same great time no matter what side I was on.