PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-22-2012, 03:42 PM #1
fAdEdAiLy

fAdEdAiLy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
fAdEdAiLy is attending Decay of Nations VI
Rain

Since I never played in the rain, I was wondering what to look out for. Do I need to cover anything? How do I store my paint!
fAdEdAiLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2012, 07:48 PM #2
Lamron
Metrowest Bulldogs #5

Lamron has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Lamron is attending Decay of Nations VI
Yeah, you will want to keep your paint dry. Also if you have an electronic marker you should keep it as dry as posible.

Aug 9th 2014 Fox 4 Paintball in Mass. I wrote and my team is hosting a scenario game based on the board game Monopoly. Come down and check out a unique and fun game. :-)
Lamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:31 PM #3
WP2015
ACL tears are no bueno

Annual Supporting Member
WP2015 plays in the PSP
WP2015 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
WP2015 posts videos on PbNation
WP2015 is an NCPA player
WP2015 supports Pev's Paintball
WP2015 supports Empire
WP2015 is All In
Try to walk the fild before you play so you can avoid diving into puddles as much as you can. Generally paintball guns don't do well as submarines. If you have to go through a puddle to get somewhere, think about knee sliding or baseball sliding in instead of superman-ing.

LN Vanquish 1.5 For Sale!
LN D'Fender FS/T
PM me about new D'Fenders too!
WP2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 PM #4
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Also, if you have an electro, you can wrap the frame in seran wrap to keep water from getting in the board. If you dont have a mask with a visor, you might want to wear a baseball cap over the top of your mask. I think tech*pb has a rain video.
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 PM #5
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I run totally mech stuff (except for my Revvy, occasionally) so the only thing I worry about covering is my paint. This is pretty simple, as it really isn't hard to keep pod lids closed and open bags of paint dry.

As WP2015 said, walk the field beforehand to make sure that you won't be going swimming. At my field, there's puddles even when it hasn't rained, so I just remember where the muddy spots are and try to stay out of the puddles.

One key thing: don't point the gun up in the air while it's raining. That's common sense! A little water in your barrel can screw your accuracy pretty badly, so don't do it!

Other than that, keep electronics dry, and stay out of the mud! Modern electronic markers are fairly waterproof (if you saw the pictures from Galveston 2012, there were quite a few markers going swimming that functioned fine afterwards!) so just make sure they don't end up submerged or overly muddy.
Noah
Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:03 PM #6
Henrybg
Notorious

Annual Supporting Member
Henrybg plays in the PSP
Henrybg supports Cereal Killerz 2
Henrybg is an NCPA player
Henrybg plays in the APPA D4 division
Henrybg is Boss
Henrybg is All In
Henrybg owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
I run totally mech stuff (except for my Revvy, occasionally) so the only thing I worry about covering is my paint. This is pretty simple, as it really isn't hard to keep pod lids closed and open bags of paint dry.

As WP2015 said, walk the field beforehand to make sure that you won't be going swimming. At my field, there's puddles even when it hasn't rained, so I just remember where the muddy spots are and try to stay out of the puddles.

One key thing: don't point the gun up in the air while it's raining. That's common sense! A little water in your barrel can screw your accuracy pretty badly, so don't do it!

Other than that, keep electronics dry, and stay out of the mud! Modern electronic markers are fairly waterproof (if you saw the pictures from Galveston 2012, there were quite a few markers going swimming that functioned fine afterwards!) so just make sure they don't end up submerged or overly muddy.
Noah
this.

Visor is a must but no need for seran wrap just don't let your marker sit in mud or water for too long the solenoid will be the first to go depending on the spacing in your grip frame your board should be fine depending on your grips and how "waterproofed" they are
- Sandana Owner's Club - Marq Clan - E-Flex Army -
Henrybg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 PM #7
SDJuNi0R
FRESSSHHHH

SDJuNi0R owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
SDJuNi0R owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
^ Id have to agree wrapping the grip isnt really neccessary. Use a actual lid so no water will get on your paint, visor on your mask. I keep painters tape in my gearbag to cover the little vents in your mask that let air in from above. Water in the inside of a thermal lens makes it blurry. It also helps to put a barrel band over your barrel porting to keep water from getting in.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:11 PM #8
fAdEdAiLy

fAdEdAiLy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
fAdEdAiLy is attending Decay of Nations VI
Thanks for all the helpful hints! It'll be interesting this weekend.
fAdEdAiLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:31 PM #9
pballer0303
shreddin the gnar

pballer0303 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
My favorite, and posibly the most important tip is keepimg water out of your barrel. Wheather you do this with a non-ported barrel, or electric taping off your ports...
pballer0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:32 AM #10
Henrybg
Notorious

Annual Supporting Member
Henrybg plays in the PSP
Henrybg supports Cereal Killerz 2
Henrybg is an NCPA player
Henrybg plays in the APPA D4 division
Henrybg is Boss
Henrybg is All In
Henrybg owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballer0303 View Post
My favorite, and posibly the most important tip is keepimg water out of your barrel. Wheather you do this with a non-ported barrel, or electric taping off your ports...
Definately a big DOT. use electrical tape if you must tape up the portsfor it will stick to itself and won't come undone in rain as easily but it is easy to take off. Also make sure to use a lid and not a speed feed for water in your barrel and dimpled wet paint will cause your shot to wild, unpredictable, and inconsistent
- Sandana Owner's Club - Marq Clan - E-Flex Army -
Henrybg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:32 AM #11
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pballer0303 View Post
Yep, most important tip. And keep water off of your paint. As soon as water touches a paintball the shell starts to break down, leading to sticky spots and deformation. If you have water in your barrel you can kiss accuracy goodbye.

Personally, if it's a downpour, I just don't play paintball.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 AM #12
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

has been a member for 10 years
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Coenen has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Saran wrap on the barrel works as well. You definitely need to go with a lid over any sort of speedfeed. I'd saran my grip frame was well because I'm a bit paranoid. Make sure you have a dry towel somewhere for your hands, especially if you intend to touch your paint.

Tactic wise, be careful when you slide, in case you've never done it before, it can be very hard to judge how far a slide on wet ground will carry you. It's no fun to slide and shoot fifteen feet past your bunker into the middle of nowhere. A nice pair of cleats can and will be a Godsend in wet conditions, otherwise you'll look like a Looney Tunes character, feet running full speed and going nowhere. Either that, or you'll end up using the net like a barricade to help you stop at the other end of the field.
...and it's gone.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:04 PM #13
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is playing at Living Legends V
Racso is playing at Living Legends VI
Racso is playing at Living Legends VII
Racso is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post
Saran wrap on the barrel works as well. You definitely need to go with a lid over any sort of speedfeed. I'd saran my grip frame was well because I'm a bit paranoid. Make sure you have a dry towel somewhere for your hands, especially if you intend to touch your paint.

Tactic wise, be careful when you slide, in case you've never done it before, it can be very hard to judge how far a slide on wet ground will carry you. It's no fun to slide and shoot fifteen feet past your bunker into the middle of nowhere. A nice pair of cleats can and will be a Godsend in wet conditions, otherwise you'll look like a Looney Tunes character, feet running full speed and going nowhere. Either that, or you'll end up using the net like a barricade to help you stop at the other end of the field.
Sliding is completely different the wetter it is. I would advise actually making a day of playing in the rain just to get used to it.

Other than that, what others have said. Visor, lid instead of speedfeed, wrapping barrel, etc.
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:59 PM #14
mymutter
I crack myself up!

mymutter is reppin' sidebar 4 life
For your barrel, they hake heat shrink that fits over your barrel, put it on an extra barrel if it looks like rain, and just hit it with a blow dryer for a little bit and it will work perfect!
mymutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:06 AM #15
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Got most of it. Duct tape or film to cover the ports in your barrel. If it gets wet inside, your accuracy goes to heck. Keep your barrel DOWN when you are not firing.

Wipe VASELINE into the crack between the two halves of your hopper, around the hopper lid and around the feed neck going into the marker. It will repel water and keep paint dry. Otherwise capillary action SUCKS water into those cracks and your paint gets wet.

Vaseline around your paint pod lids too......

Bass Pro gives you wonderful camo colored plastic bags for your fall purchases. They make lovely 'raincoats; for electro markers.... Barrel through the bottom corner, feed neck with hopper removed through the other corner. Opening of bag down over the body and grip. Stock up in the fall....

Again, Vaseline around the grip seams, body halves, etc on the electro markers keeps water from entering where it shouldn't be.

Yes, you might want to look at your available footwear for heavily cleated boots/ shoes that won't get sucked off your foot when you run through a mud hole. Traction is good...

Two walled Thermal Mask. Fogging is always a potential problem. Spare masks if you have them... Keep them dry in plastic bags and dry towel/rags to keep them dry.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 03-31-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote