PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 PM #64
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

their exhausts were too loud and they were doing, bye my guesstimate around 55 (being conservative) in a 25. they weren't slowing down for ****.
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 PM #65
automagwarrior

has been a member for 10 years
automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsTER7 View Post
I'm getting into riding but I don't know whats a good cc to start with? My brother has a shiver 750. I was looking at CBR's and aprillia rs(v)'s. Are 125's /250's even worth it? Even with a passenger? I can get either make for pretty cheap.
Interesting choice, I almost bought a Shiver 750 last year.

Starting riding is the same with anything else in life. Start small, start used. Learn and trade up so you can appreciate what your upgrading too.

Ninja 250, sv650, ninja 650r, 500r, cbr250 are all good starters. No good for two up, but TBH you shouldn't be riding with your girl in the first year anyways.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:29 PM #66
MonsTER7

MonsTER7 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Really, REALLY don't want a ninja.... theres about a million in STL... my friend has a dirt bike I've been destroying lol. Honestly plan on keeping this bike for a while if I don't trash it (then I guess I'd be keeping it forever since I wouldn't be able to sell it). That's why I asked if 125's are even worth it, aprillia doesn't really make anything mid-sized that interests me. Otherwise it'd probably be a cbr.

"Originally posted by : All Guns Are reliable until you start ****ing with them"
trust me
Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 PM #67
pink04teletubbie
I <3 Boobies

not getting a bike because you see lots of them is kinda stupid. To 99% of people you're going to be "one of those crotch rocket riders" anyways.

Unless you get something that looks ridiculously different, people will automatically throw you into that category.
That being said, automag's list is perfect, and you shouldn't be riding 2 up within your first year. Riding 2 up sucks *** anyways. You can't do anything fun.

DD. Not just my girl's bra size
Old 03-21-2012, 09:35 PM #68
Ammolord
IT'S WAYNE BRADY *****!

Ammolord is playing at Living Legends V
One of the guys I used to ride with just smacked his newer CBR100RR into the side of a semi a couple hours ago. He's in the ER right now, he's pretty beat up.

~'13 Harley Davidson Sportster 48 ~
(Basic Bolt-ons)
~'13 Toyota Tundra TRD Rock Warrior~
(Stock DD)
~Custom '99 Sniper Pump~

(CCM Pump Kit, EDGE Barrel Kit, QR bolt, CP reg, CP ASA)
Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 PM #69
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the USPL
NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammolord View Post
One of the guys I used to ride with just smacked his newer CBR100RR into the side of a semi a couple hours ago. He's in the ER right now, he's pretty beat up.
what happened?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:38 PM #70
MonsTER7

MonsTER7 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Hope he's alright

"Originally posted by : All Guns Are reliable until you start ****ing with them"
trust me
Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 PM #71
automagwarrior

Quote:
Really, REALLY don't want a ninja.... theres about a million in STL... my friend has a dirt bike I've been destroying lol. Honestly plan on keeping this bike for a while if I don't trash it (then I guess I'd be keeping it forever since I wouldn't be able to sell it). That's why I asked if 125's are even worth it, aprillia doesn't really make anything mid-sized that interests me. Otherwise it'd probably be a cbr.
Yeah, and I REALLY REALLY want a monster 1100 evo, but I have to make practical decisions.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 PM #72
Ammolord
IT'S WAYNE BRADY *****!

Ammolord is playing at Living Legends V
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelyDeezNutz View Post
what happened?
I'm not really sure, from what I can gather the truck pulled out of the Walmart parking lot in front of him, and he didn't have time to react. From the way it sounds he only had a helmet, gloves, and boots on, so i'm sure he's all ate up.

~'13 Harley Davidson Sportster 48 ~
(Basic Bolt-ons)
~'13 Toyota Tundra TRD Rock Warrior~
(Stock DD)
~Custom '99 Sniper Pump~

(CCM Pump Kit, EDGE Barrel Kit, QR bolt, CP reg, CP ASA)
Old 03-21-2012, 09:49 PM #73
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

Quote:
there are virtually no 125 street bikes available in the united states, if that's what you're asking. There is no good "CC" or displacement of motor to start on. The CC's tell you the displacement of the motor, not how powerful it is. A 650 twin like the SV or the ninja 650R are much less powerful than a 600cc I4 supersport engine, like what you'll find in the CBR you mentioned.

And to clear up your confusion, the 600s are not "mid sized" if by mid sized you mean having a moderate amount of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink04teletubbie View Post
Riding 2 up sucks *** anyways. You can't do anything fun.
Says you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagwarrior View Post
Yeah, and I REALLY REALLY want a monster 1100 evo, but I have to make practical decisions.
Get one.

Quote:

Ninja 250, sv650, ninja 650r, 500r, cbr250 are all good starters. No good for two up, but TBH you shouldn't be riding with your girl in the first year anyways.
the 650r and the sv do fine 2 up
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

"Originally posted by drunkkoala: does that make sense to you? u ****ing idiot."

Last edited by UglyDuckGizmo : 03-21-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:26 PM #74
xXinpayneXx
MW

I would drag knees with a decent partner and proper bike and gear.

Cant do much on the Cb but the difference in passengers is staggering.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 PM #75
DefStatic

Got my first motorcycle last year. Had just under 10k on it. I am the second owner. Last owner got in when he was in the military in VA, and now has a family and just didn't ride much anymore, it pretty much sat for a year. Came with some minor upgrades and nice helmet (can't remember off the top of my head what the helmet is, but its a backup helmet), Yoshi complete exhaust, full fairing. Best $2300 I ever spent. 2001 Suzuki SV650. Put me down.

Well, $2300 then. Plus the K&N filter I put in, Zero Grav smoked shield. Icon Helmet and Jacket I got.

1WD > 4WD > 2WD

Also, not sure what the newer SVs are like, but if they are anything like I have seen at stealerships for 600cc bikes, nothing is made for passenger now. The 2001 SVs had massive space for a rider, which is one reason I got it. That and from the extensive research I did it was a top superb starter. I have not had a rider with me though. Still not confident I want a rider. Riders need experience too. Just not sure I am ready to put someone else's life at risk. Maybe they should have a riders class LOL.

And yes, CC's are not the end all of the power equation. When I got my bike, my friend would not let me touch his 600 CBR. I was like "Mine is a 650, so whats the big deal?". I prob would not have dropped his bike if I got on it, but it was worlds different. Unfortunately, he did let someone who did not realize this get on it and they dropped it hard.

Been a great week for riding in New England. Only thing that sucks is all the sand :-\

- 1WD > 4WD > 2WD

Last edited by DefStatic : 03-21-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 PM #76
zoink
cats cats cats

zoink is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
I really am digging the looks of the new 650r...just why the hell can't they put a split in the rear seat. Would make it look so much better :/.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 PM #77
automagwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyDuckGizmo View Post

Get one.
just registered for 2 years of skool and bought 2 bikes in 2 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyDuckGizmo View Post

the 650r and the sv do fine 2 up
Yeah, too lazy to edit.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:24 PM #78
BunkerNinja

BunkerNinja is a Supporting Member
considering a 250 as a track ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoink View Post
I really am digging the looks of the new 650r...just why the hell can't they put a split in the rear seat. Would make it look so much better :/.
it might have something to do with insurance
Old 03-21-2012, 11:25 PM #79
zoink
cats cats cats

zoink is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Yea it would probably add 20hp.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 PM #80
DefStatic

Quote:
I'm getting into riding but I don't know whats a good cc to start with? My brother has a shiver 750. I was looking at CBR's and aprillia rs(v)'s. Are 125's /250's even worth it? Even with a passenger? I can get either make for pretty cheap.
Many many many questions...

I also purchased my first bike last year, and just started last year. Was the only participant in my class who already had their bike (besides the ones who were driving illegally for years).

How tall are you?
Where do you live?
Why are you getting a motorcycle?
What style motorcycle do you like?

For me, I am 5'12. When I first started doing my research, I was looking at getting a Ninja 250. Small, not very powerful, cheap. I wanted something I could get and if I decided riding was not for me I could easily turn around and get my money back.

Luckily for me, I was talked out of a Ninja 250 quickly. Several issues. One, I would feel like I was on a moped. Two, if I did get hardcore into riding, I was going to want to dump it right away and go bigger anyways. Don't worry about upgrades, worry about learning and gear.

I am not sure what your laws are for motorcycles where you live, but research them. And take a damn class! They are worth every penny!!!

Once you decide what size bike you should get, listen to others about what is good to start on/own. And then do your research on what to look for. Buy from someone experienced who took good care of their stuff. But that goes for buying anything used. I spent a good 3 months researching. And quite frankly, I don't know if I will ever want to buy anything else, the 2001 SV650 is perfect for me and I love it.

- 1WD > 4WD > 2WD
Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 PM #81
automagwarrior

Are you sure you aren't 6'?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 PM #82
DefStatic

Quote:
Are you sure you aren't 6'?
It's a joke...

- 1WD > 4WD > 2WD
Old 03-21-2012, 11:47 PM #83
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

The 250 never gets enough credit. They can teach you a lot.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

"Originally posted by drunkkoala: does that make sense to you? u ****ing idiot."
Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 PM #84
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerNinja View Post
considering a 250 as a track ****
For trackdays? I wouldn't do it. For actual racing? Definitely do it.

Closed Thread