Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Which care should I sell?
Sell the Pontiac G6 7 77.78%
Sell the Protege 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 AM #1
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
New car shopping advice

Wife and I are going to have to buy a new car.

Originally, my plan was to take the 2007 Pontiac G6 (with 30k miles) and use that as the trade in (or just sell it out right). The car is currently in my FiL's name, but since he has dementia, my MiL offered to give it to my wife and I.

I figure that it's worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 10k. My wife would get the new car and I would take her 2003 Protege and use it simply to drive to Metro and back for work.

I was at my BiL's house and the topic came up and he thought it was stupid to turn in the Pontiac. He says we should turn in the Protege (I might be able to get 4k if I sold it) and keep the Pontiac because it's "more reliable"

My wife HATES that car with a passion. Part of it is that it reminds her of her Dad, who is basically slowly slipping in to incoherence. But mostly it's because the car sucks to drive. I don't know who designed it for Pontiac, but I'm pretty sure he was over 6'4". The pedals are so far forward that it's uncomfortable to drive over a long period of time without using cruise control. And by long period of time, I mean longer than 10 minutes. The seats feel too big, even for me. I'm not particularly fond of the car either. If I drive it for a while, my knee starts to ache.

My BiL likes ... expensive things. He's a gadget guru, or so he thinks. He thinks we MUST buy a BMW X3 or something similar "for kids." I told him he's crazy and there is no way I'm spending that kind of money on a car. It's simply not in the budget.

But part of me does see the logic in his suggestion. The G6 is newer. It's got a lot fewer miles (30k vs. 80k). It will probably be a more reliable car over the next few years.

However, by selling the G6, I would have the downpayment for the car we want, enough money to buy a king size mattress (wife and I currently have a full size) and a little left over to put towards a house or use on the 2003 Protege for upcoming maintenance needs.

Thoughts?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:06 AM #2
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Those Proteges aren't really unreliable, are they? If you like it, you'd might as well keep it if it's treated you well so far. It's not like it has a lot of miles on it, plus it seems like you don't beat on it, so it should last quite awhile.

You'll get a lot more for a trade-in or sale on the G6 to be able to get yourself something more comfortable and reliable.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:38 AM #3
A Contract Killer

A Contract Killer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'd probably sell the G6 just because you'd get more for it on a trade and you clearly don't mind driving your Mazda into the future. Plus, the Pontiac reminds your wife about her father and that's just unfortunate.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 AM #4
151*
Will Return

Sell g6, be responsible, buy older honda and a mattress/house
Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 AM #5
lowbudgethero
Boomer

has been a member for 10 years
Sell the G6, 4K for the mazda isn't worth it.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:03 PM #6
tasty taco

tasty taco owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
tasty taco has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tasty taco has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Hook Poppin bottles in the ice, like a blizzard When we drink we do it right gettin slizzard Sippin sizzurp in my ride, in my ride, like Three 6 Now I'm feelin so fly like a G6 Like a G6, Like a G6 Now now now now now now I'm feelin so fly like a G6 Like a G6, Like a G6 Now now now now now now I'm feelin so fly like a G6
tasty taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:47 PM #7
Seek_and_Destroy
My Trial. Your Funeral

Seek_and_Destroy is a Supporting Member
Seek_and_Destroy plays in the APPA D5 division
Seek_and_Destroy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Seek_and_Destroy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Seek_and_Destroy has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasty taco View Post
Hook Poppin bottles in the ice, like a blizzard When we drink we do it right gettin slizzard Sippin sizzurp in my ride, in my ride, like Three 6 Now I'm feelin so fly like a G6 Like a G6, Like a G6 Now now now now now now I'm feelin so fly like a G6 Like a G6, Like a G6 Now now now now now now I'm feelin so fly like a G6

I would sell the G6, who cares what your brother in law says? If you both don't enjoy driving the car screw it. Sell that beast and get something you both enjoy.
2000 BMW 323Ci Sport
Seek_and_Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:06 PM #8
DrobertsPB
You rebel scum

When I think reliable I don't think g6
DrobertsPB is offline   Reply With Quote