PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-16-2012, 03:42 PM #1
LOL Renegade

Spanking in schools

http://www.npr.org/2012/03/13/148521...lorida-schools

Quote:
Spanking in school may seem like a relic of the past, but every day hundreds of students — from preschoolers to high school seniors — are still being paddled by teachers and principals.

In parts of America, getting spanked at school with a wooden or fiberglass board is just part of being a misbehaving student.

"I been getting them since about first grade," says Lucas Mixon, now a junior at Holmes County High School in Bonifay, Fla. "It's just regular. They tell you to put your hands up on the desk and how many swats you're going to get."

Florida is one of 19 states, mostly in the South and Mountain West, that still allow public schools to paddle, according to the Center for Effective Discipline. Most Florida school districts have opted out of using corporal punishment, but almost every county in the state's rural North has policies that allow schools to paddle students.

In 2011, Democratic state Rep. Ari Porth sponsored a bill to ban school corporal punishment statewide. He says where students live should not determine whether they get spanked at school.

"When I heard that this practice still exists, I was mortified," Porth says. "No child should not feel completely safe when they go to school."

But Porth's bill failed — it never even reached a committee in the Florida legislature.

That's just fine for parents like Bud Glover of Bonifay, a small town 15 miles from the Alabama border. It's a place where tradition is valued — and paddling is considered tradition.
Holmes County High School Principal Eddie Dixson says paddling is used for minor offenses like back-talking or consistent tardiness. Students at the school are spanked only by Dixson or the assistant principal, and there is always a witness.
Enlarge Sarah Gonzalez/StateImpact Florida

Holmes County High School Principal Eddie Dixson says paddling is used for minor offenses like back-talking or consistent tardiness. Students at the school are spanked only by Dixson or the assistant principal, and there is always a witness.
Sarah Gonzalez/StateImpact Florida

"I got my butt beat and I know what's right and wrong," he says. "And my children are going to know what's right and wrong."

Glover's feelings are shared by many parents in this part of Florida. "I think the problem with society is we quit paddling," he says.

The Sting Of The Paddle

Schools often use a wooden or fiberglass paddle for their spankings. There are no statewide regulations on what the paddles should look like, so each school district creates its own.

The paddle at Holmes County High School looks like a short rowboat paddle. It's about 16 inches long, 5 inches wide and a 1/2 inch thick. You can't buy it at a store, so Holmes County High asks wood-shop students to make it for them.

Senior Cole Long has never made a paddle, but he's been on the receiving end of one.

He says he's been paddled for things like, "throwing papers, throwing pencils, a couple times for cussing and then back-talking."

"I used to be a really wild child," he says.

States That Allow Corporal Punishment In Schools:

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Mississippi
Missouri
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Wyoming

Source: Center for Effective Discipline

A couple months ago, Long won $7,200 at a bull-riding competition in Texas. But even to a bull rider, Long says, the paddle can sting depending on who's doing the spanking.

"The assistant principal, he hurts," Long says. "I've had it plenty of times from him and he gives it to us a little more."

Long says he thinks all schools should paddle students because the spankings teach discipline and respect — and much of the community agrees.

Paddling Without Parental Consent

Every once in a while, parents like Tenika Jones of Levy County will object to their child getting paddled. Last year, the principal at Joyce Bullock Elementary sent home a waiver asking parents for permission to paddle students. Jones says she didn't sign it, but her son, Geirrea Bostick, was paddled anyway.

He was 5 at the time and it was his second week of preschool. Gierrea says the principal spanked him twice for slapping another boy on the school bus. He says the principal first told him to take his jacket off. "Then [she] spank me on my booty," Gierrea says. "I cried all the way home. It was really hard."

Gierrea's mom says the paddling left welts on Gierrea's bottom, and she was outraged.

"If I would have hit my son how she hit him, I would have been in jail, I would have been on the news, I would have been messed up trying to get my children back," Jones says. "She whipped him up and to me that's child abuse."

Jones is in the process of suing the Levy County School District for paddling her son without her permission. But Robert Rush, an attorney at the law firm representing Jones says state law does not require schools to get parental consent.
Mapping Corporal Punishment In Florida
Mapping Corporal Punishment in Florida Schools

A district-by-district look at how Florida schools used corporal punishment in the 2009-2010 school year.

"If the school board and the principal specifically authorize corporal punishment, it can be administered lawfully against the parent's wishes," Rush says.

According to Rush, the school principal sets the policy for paddling, and if the school acts in accordance with that policy it's very hard to sue.

"They're immune both civilly and criminally by law," he says.

But attorneys can argue excessive force was used.

The school's principal, Jamie Handlin, and the school district would not comment for this story because they're in pre-litigation, but Handlin told the Williston Pioneer newspaper, "Nothing was violated."

"I disciplined out of love, not anger," she said.

Does Paddling Solve The Problem?

Schools are the only public institution where hitting is allowed. It's not allowed in prisons, hospitals, mental institutions or the military.

According to the Center for Effective Discipline, the most recent statistics show that 223,190 American students received corporal punishment in 2006. In Florida alone, 3,661 students were spanked in 2010, according to the state's Department of Education.
Yelling Mother
The New Republic: Is Yelling The New Spanking?

Parenting is rough, grinding work. This is not news. And it's sure as hell not an ominous new trend.
imported image
Spanking Leads To More Aggressive Kids

Kids who were spanked more than twice a month at age 3 were more likely to be aggressive at 5.
Rosalina Gonzales.
Mom Sentenced For Spanking Child Sparks Debate On Discipline

The Texas woman was sentenced to five years probation and told parents should never spank children.
imported image
Does Spanking Make Kids Dumber?

Studies suggest that spanking can hurt mental development of kids.

But school corporal punishment in general has been on the decline. New Jersey was the first state to ban it in 1867. The next state, Massachusetts, didn't follow until more than 100 years later, when child protection laws started popping up and paddling students starting falling out of fashion. Most recently, New Mexico banned paddling just last year.

Deborah Sendek, a clinical child psychologist with the Center for Effective Discipline, says research on corporal punishment shows paddling does not deter students from misbehaving.

"What we tend to see is the students who are paddled are paddled repeatedly throughout the course of the academic year and the following year and the following year," Sendek says. "That's one of the things that tells us it's not effective."

Sendek says paddling can also have negative short- and long-term physical and psychological consequences.

"The rule in school may be that we only hit for certain things and we only hit with a paddle," Sendek says. "But if we have a culture where we believe it's OK to hit, then it can be generalized."

But supporters of school corporal punishment argue that paddling helps keeps kids in school, since the alternative would be suspending students with bad behavior.

Willie Williams, principal at Madison County Central Elementary and Middle School, agrees. The only problem is he can't bring himself to administer the punishment. And when others do it, he says he can't bear watch.
Thoughts? Before the liberal ******s start storming in saying it's child abuse to hit your own kids, I can't say I fully agree with strangers hitting other people's kids, especially when they are forced to be there. I'd rather not post this in ST P in order to have some casual discussion among people who don't take politics as seriously.

TLDR: Teachers are allowed to hit kids in certain states.

Last edited by LOL Renegade : 03-16-2012 at 03:45 PM.
LOL Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2012, 03:42 PM #2
-Thanks
-Thanks!

-Spanks
Old 03-16-2012, 03:44 PM #3
AzaTuR
¼ Skill ¾ My Shocker™

Annual Supporting Member
AzaTuR supports Cereal Killerz 2
AzaTuR helped look for balloons
AzaTuR supports Bob Gurnsey
AzaTuR is reppin' sidebar 4 life
AzaTuR supports Pev's Paintball
AzaTuR is Legendary
AzaTuR is Boss
Wow, man, that's really long.

Edit:
I didn't read it.
AzaTuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:45 PM #4
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
they should stick it in their bums

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:47 PM #5
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

has been a member for 10 years
Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
"If the school board and the principal specifically authorize corporal punishment, it can be administered lawfully against the parent's wishes,"
That's really the only part I have an issue with. That's not just "without the parents consent".
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:54 PM #6
Marill

just coming in here to say you're one of the worst posters ever
Marill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 PM #7
iTzDoUgiE777
♥Shea Weber♥

Annual Supporting Member
Why exactly did you make this thread? I tl;dr'd
Memphis Grizzlies (4-2, 2-1)♥
Nashville Predators (game the hell over)♥
Miami Dolphins (more game over)♥
iTzDoUgiE777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:57 PM #8
paintthower05

paintthower05 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
paintthower05 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Its not up to the school to decide how to administer punishment for poor behavior. That's one of the down falls of today's society, letting the public school system rear children instead of the parents doing their jobs /rant

VVVVFEEDBACKVVVV
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1081449
paintthower05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM #9
Jagov Fapsky (Banned)

Jagov Fapsky owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Jagov Fapsky has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
some students are just asking for it
Jagov Fapsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:03 PM #10
frankie says chillax
...bro

frankie says chillax plays in the PSP
frankie says chillax plays in the APPA D4 division
you shoulda been hit across the head with a 2x4

WTB MINTY FRESH MACDEV 07 CYBORGS
frankie says chillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:13 PM #11
LOL Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie says chillax View Post
And you should have been aborted. Oh well, at least that most likely fits into your belief system.

Back to spanking in schools.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:25 PM #12
BodyCount81
Jerrah

BodyCount81 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Our asst. principle gave them to us. I had known him all my life and his son was a year younger. He said to me, "You were the reason my son got his first spanking." Then he lit my *** up.

They gave us the option though. It was either two detentions or two swats. It's not like they forced us to take swats.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:38 PM #13
edudcixlsyd
ya boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie says chillax View Post
Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 PM #14
Xanatos903 (Banned)

Xanatos903 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL Renegade View Post
http://www.npr.org/2012/03/13/148521...lorida-schools

Thoughts? Before the liberal ******s start storming in saying it's child abuse to hit your own kids, I can't say I fully agree with strangers hitting other people's kids, especially when they are forced to be there. I'd rather not post this in ST P in order to have some casual discussion among people who don't take politics as seriously.

TLDR: Teachers are allowed to hit kids in certain states.
Jesus ****, are you retarded?

"Hurr durr, blame liberals for all the country's problems."

Ever since the Tea Party hijacked American politics, this is all I've been hearing.
Xanatos903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 PM #15
LOL Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyCount81 View Post
Our asst. principle gave them to us. I had known him all my life and his son was a year younger. He said to me, "You were the reason my son got his first spanking." Then he lit my *** up.

They gave us the option though. It was either two detentions or two swats. It's not like they forced us to take swats.
With a paddle and everything? Did you have to drop your pants? How did you feel about that. Did it even hurt? Interesting to get some first hand experience. I'm not opposed to the idea of smacking a kid if they step too far out of line but at the same time, spanking high school kids just seems slightly impractical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanatos903 View Post
Jesus ****, are you retarded?

"Hurr durr, blame liberals for all the country's problems."

Ever since the Tea Party hijacked American politics, this is all I've been hearing.
I didn't say that, you did. Not sure where you think I implied it either. There's plenty of idiots here who think using physical force as a means of discipline is abuse.

Last edited by LOL Renegade : 03-16-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:46 PM #16
>>Empire2k11<<
2k5

>>Empire2k11<< owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
>>Empire2k11<< supports Team VICIOUS
>>Empire2k11<< posts videos on PbNation
>>Empire2k11<< supports Pev's Paintball
>>Empire2k11<< supports DLX Technology
i wouldnt mind getting spanked by a few of my old teachers
#3 Dale Earnhardt
Minnesota Vikings
Originally Posted by ProjectJanus:
I would drag my dick through a mile of broken glass just to hear her fart through a walkie talkie.
>>Empire2k11<< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:51 PM #17
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by >>Empire2k11<< View Post
i wouldnt mind getting spanked by a few of my old teachers
****, I'd have caused more trouble if it got me spanked by my chem teacher. She was also the cheer leading coach.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:52 PM #18
BodyCount81
Jerrah

BodyCount81 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL Renegade View Post
With a paddle and everything? Did you have to drop your pants? How did you feel about that. Did it even hurt? Interesting to get some first hand experience. I'm not opposed to the idea of smacking a kid if they step too far out of line but at the same time, spanking high school kids just seems slightly impractical.
Yes it was with a paddle. I don't remember how big though. Did not drop my pants lol. It hurt like hell though. Next time, I took the detentions.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:56 PM #19
General_MacArthur
Formerly General_Patton

General_MacArthur is playing at Living Legends V
General_MacArthur has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
General_MacArthur has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Kids should be disciplined. Used to piss me off how the ****ty white trash and minorities would disrespect/cuss/etc teachers at my school. I did it once, but I was justified. Real example:

"Shamalica, please sit down and do your work."
"**** that ****, this is bull**** you *****, **** this class."
lolwut.

Why do people think these generations are lazy pussies?

White and proud.
STARMY Scavenger Hunt Champions

Originally Posted by DrobertsPB "you're like an intelligent redneck mountain man"
General_MacArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:59 PM #20
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_MacArthur View Post
Why do people think these generations are lazy pussies?
they don't

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:02 PM #21
General_MacArthur
Formerly General_Patton

General_MacArthur is playing at Living Legends V
General_MacArthur has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
General_MacArthur has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Yes, they do.

White and proud.
STARMY Scavenger Hunt Champions

Originally Posted by DrobertsPB "you're like an intelligent redneck mountain man"
General_MacArthur is offline   Reply With Quote