Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 PM #1
joshhawk098

Im new to paintball and need help

Alright, hey and thanks for clicking on my thread, i hope somebody that knows about paintball guns, more specifically the Dangerous Power G4 can help me out. So heres what i have, since i just started paintball i bought a paintball setup, gun, hopper, tank, etc. and i want to know what i should upgrade first and what to upgrade to.

1. Dangerous Power G4
2. 47/3000 psi tank (i had a magnet that covered where you fill it up, but i lost it. is it worth buying a new 1? the guy told me that i should get one because if dirt gets in it when im playing, and i try and fill it up with dirt in it, it might pop and get ruined. But its $20 and im not sure if its worth it)
3. Eye force hopper
4. Cover for my tank
5. Mask (i dont care about upgrading it yet)
6. CP autocockered barrel
7. Pod Pack with Pods
so here are my main questions.

1. Is it worth spending an extra $130 on a 4500 psi tank? because im not even sure what the difference is.
2. What is the best barrel i can get? is a 1 piece or a 2 piece barrel better? and why is it better?
3. Whats so great about a dye rotor hopper? i cant shoot to fast semi and i choose not to shoot automatic because i dont like wasting my paintballs.
4. What is the best type of paintballs to use? or does it not realy matter? i just like shooting around at targets in my backyard when im not playing actual paintball
5. What is the best day to paintball? is there days where there will be newer players as well playing speedball? Is there worse players playing on saturday than sunday or is it the opposite?
6. Should i wear anything to protect my neck? does it hurt if you get shot in the neck? and should i wear a cup or is it not necisary?

Lastly is there anyway i can play against people of my own skill level? like people who use guns that are cheap and not to good like me and who dont know what there doing to good? because the first time i went, i was playing against about 3 people who had borrowed guns on a 6-7 man team, then the next time i went it was about 0-1 players using borrowed guns on a 6 man team. Is it players like them with like dye rotor hoppers and panet eclipes that scare other new people off? or was that just rare to see that many people with good guns?

Other things to mention would be:
1. I like speedball way more than playing outside
2. I have only played 2 times, 1 time with the stores borrowed gun and 1 time with my new gun which was awsome.

well thanks to everyone who spent their own time reading this, i really appreciate it
joshhawk098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 PM #2
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
1. Is it worth spending an extra $130 on a 4500 psi tank? because im not even sure what the difference is. If you have an HPA tank already, which it sounds like you do, I wouldn't buy another one! The 4500 tank will only give you a few hundred more shots, and on a field with all-day air, that difference won't really be noticeable. A 4500 tank means simply that the tank is pressureized to 4500psi, as opposed to 3000. to
2. What is the best barrel i can get? is a 1 piece or a 2 piece barrel better? and why is it better? I use a Stiffi, as does my friend, who owns a G4 like yours. The Stiffi is made of carbon-fiber, so it doesn't change size with temperature differences. It also uses 3/4-length porting, so it is very quiet and will give you a more accurate shot than a non-ported barrel. If you want to splurge, you can get a barrel kit, which comes with bore sizers that match the paint closely.
3. Whats so great about a dye rotor hopper? i cant shoot to fast semi and i choose not to shoot automatic because i dont like wasting my paintballs. I don't really know much about the Rotor, as I use a Tippmann A5 with a Cyclone, or a few various AutoCockers with a Revolution X hopper. The Rotor is supposedly the best hopper on the market in terms of speed and reliability, but other than that, I don't think you need one.
4. What is the best type of paintballs to use? or does it not realy matter? i just like shooting around at targets in my backyard when im not playing actual paintball If you're just shooting targets, use the cheapest stuff you can get (Always buy it by the case) because it really won't matter if it breaks on target or flies straight. For games, don't buy Wal-Mart paint, at least not during the winter. I don't place enough value on my paint to pay more than $35 a case, so I live with imperfections or shortfalls. Visible Impact is actually the best paint I've ever used. It breaks on target, flies straight, and stores really well.
5. What is the best day to paintball? is there days where there will be newer players as well playing speedball? Is there worse players playing on saturday than sunday or is it the opposite? I would say that Saturday is your best bet, as far as skill-level. You'll have a lot of regulars, or "walk-ons" with their own gear, but you'll also have the 35-person youth-group with rentals, so you get a bit of both. I usually go Saturday or Sunday, somewhat early.
6. Should i wear anything to protect my neck? does it hurt if you get shot in the neck? and should i wear a cup or is it not necisary? It does hurt to get shot in the neck, but I've found that it doesn't happen often enough to warrant protection. I usually just wear a high-collared jersey or ACU field jacket, and that covers my neck well enough. As for a cup, I don't wear one, and I've only taken maybe one nut-shot in five years of playing. Sure, it hurts, but not enough that I am paranoid about it!

Lastly is there anyway i can play against people of my own skill level? like people who use guns that are cheap and not to good like me and who dont know what there doing to good? because the first time i went, i was playing against about 3 people who had borrowed guns on a 6-7 man team, then the next time i went it was about 0-1 players using borrowed guns on a 6 man team. Is it players like them with like dye rotor hoppers and panet eclipes that scare other new people off? or was that just rare to see that many people with good guns? Just find a group to hop in with, or find some friends of a similar skill level. I can play usually at any skill level, so I can hang with newbies and dial back, or play with the hardcore 'ballers and turn it up. The main thing is that you play! The more you play, the better you get, and the less you worry about skill level!

2. I have only played 2 times, 1 time with the stores borrowed gun and 1 time with my new gun which was awsome.

well thanks to everyone who spent their own time reading this, i really appreciate it[/quote]

Ok, sounds like you've got a lot of questions...I'll answer them in red above, with an explanation.

Play a lot! The single best thing you can do is simply play all the time, or as much as you can feasibly! Understand your gear, ask a lot of questions, and don't be a moron!
Good luck and good hunting!
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:41 PM #3
Jose1998

Jose1998 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Jose1998 posts videos on PbNation
Jose1998 plays in the APPA D4 division
Jose1998 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
4500 is worth it. The barrel u have is fine, a velocity jr is just as good as the rotor because the speed will laways go faster than u shoot.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 PM #4
Good Burger
Got a martian?

[quote=joshhawk098;74798438] (i had a magnet that covered where you fill it up, but i lost it. is it worth buying a new 1? the guy told me that i should get one because if dirt gets in it when im playing, and i try and fill it up with dirt in it, it might pop and get ruined. But its $20 and im not sure if its worth it)

It's my opinion that you can live without any kind of nipple cover (which is what protects that thing - the fill nipple - from getting dirty), but you can get rubber nipple covers too, for super cheap.

1. Is it worth spending an extra $130 on a 4500 psi tank? because im not even sure what the difference is.

Depends on your situation. a 4500 psi tank holds 4500 lbs of air pressure, as opposed to a 3000 psi tank, which holds 3000. More air in your tank. Also, 4500 tanks are typically more ergonomic, and are made of carbon fiber, making them significantly lighter than a steel tank (3000 tanks are almost exclusively steel).

2. What is the best barrel i can get? is a 1 piece or a 2 piece barrel better? and why is it better?

Again, you're looking at preference. People tend to like two-piece barrels because the backs are interchangeable. The backs are sized differently, and people like the ability to be able to match the size to the varying size of paintballs as closely as they can.

3. Whats so great about a dye rotor hopper? i cant shoot to fast semi and i choose not to shoot automatic because i dont like wasting my paintballs.

Rotors are very popular right now, for sure. They can be taken apart without the use of tools, and are a very simplistic, user-friendly hopper. There are other, much cheaper, hoppers that are just as competitive, though. Invert Too hoppers retail for something $60.00 new, and, in my opinion, function just as well as a Rotor does. Rotors retail for something like $180.00.

4. What is the best type of paintballs to use? or does it not realy matter? i just like shooting around at targets in my backyard when im not playing actual paintball

If you're not too serious at this point, cheap paint is fine. Different companies make all kinds of paintballs, from cheap entry-level stuff to expensive tournament-grade stuff. If I were just playing recreationally like you, I wouldn't be too concerned about the expensive stuff.

5. What is the best day to paintball? is there days where there will be newer players as well playing speedball? Is there worse players playing on saturday than sunday or is it the opposite?

Typically speaking, Sundays are days of paintball - especially for speedball players and tournament guys. At my field, recreational guys come out on Saturdays more frequently. Spend some time at your local field, and I'm sure you'll see for yourself when the best time to play is based on your interests and skill-level.

6. Should i wear anything to protect my neck? does it hurt if you get shot in the neck? and should i wear a cup or is it not necisary?

Getting shot in the neck can hurt, because it's bare, thin skin. I know some guys who wear bandanas for a little extra protection, but you don't see too many people rocking neck protection. I don't know too many people that wear a cup, because most pants for paintball, which are designed by reputable companies, are made with allotted space and padding for the crotch region. If you're wearing sweatpants, you may want to think about it.

Lastly is there anyway i can play against people of my own skill level? like people who use guns that are cheap and not to good like me and who dont know what there doing to good? because the first time i went, i was playing against about 3 people who had borrowed guns on a 6-7 man team, then the next time i went it was about 0-1 players using borrowed guns on a 6 man team. Is it players like them with like dye rotor hoppers and panet eclipes that scare other new people off? or was that just rare to see that many people with good guns?

You can never really know what your opponent(s)'s skill level(s) is/are. You can usually take a good guess based on what kind of gear they're using. If it's rental stuff, or if it's similar to your own, you can pretty comfortably assume that you'll be, at least, about equal. This is not ALWAYS true. Basically speaking, if you can tell who the experienced guys are by looking at them, and you don't want to play them just yet, then you can always choose not to.

Get out there, play, and make sure you have fun. It's why you bought all of this stuff!
Good Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:29 AM #5
plushdragon

has been a member for 10 years
plushdragon helped look for balloons
to th op

with paint how good of a day you have is going to depend on the age of the paint and how it was shipped or stored. stay away from box stores as the paint could be two years old and just mush. a good pb field or store will let you open the box and check for any scrambled paint. it a pITA to try and wipe down 500 balls becuase one or two broke in a bag. white box may be your friend or your worst day of playing...not bad for plinking. the low end pmi and other brands..may have weak fill or a very thick shell (monster balls) there a video that not pbn safe that show someone walking on a bag of monster balls and they dont pop. the only other thing is if you do woods or play in temp under 50 deg switch over to winter fill paint like polar ice. paint does very from ball to ball and batch to batch...so a barrel kit will let you size your paint to fit the best bore.(back). with indoor pick up some shorts/pants with built in nee pads..it save you from swelling nee pain from a long day of paintball. with good lose pair of paintball paints or jeans..most jewel shots bounce or not that bad..the area to cover are your fingers (hurts like heak getting shot between them. the top of your head/forhead...pick up a mask that has some ear protection. on your neck..it the adams apple that the painfull spot...two things one is make a stand with pvc to hold your marker up...makes for a lot easy fill and lock it with a bike chain. pick up a pod swab and or hopper swab...taking a hit to a pod or hopper may cause you to have a pod of scrambled paint. on hot days take your pod belt of our you end up with a pod log.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM #6
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhawk098 View Post
Alright, hey and thanks for clicking on my thread, i hope somebody that knows about paintball guns, more specifically the Dangerous Power G4 can help me out. So heres what i have, since i just started paintball i bought a paintball setup, gun, hopper, tank, etc. and i want to know what i should upgrade first and what to upgrade to.

1. Dangerous Power G4
2. 47/3000 psi tank (i had a magnet that covered where you fill it up, but i lost it. is it worth buying a new 1? the guy told me that i should get one because if dirt gets in it when im playing, and i try and fill it up with dirt in it, it might pop and get ruined. But its $20 and im not sure if its worth it)
3. Eye force hopper
4. Cover for my tank
7. Pod Pack with Pods

No, not yet. Save some money and use what you have, you do have a pretty good starter setup.
I like the freak system, multiple inserts, multiple tip lengths but generally 2-piece is a better bore match usually.
For just starting out, you dont need a rotor, a 30 dollar halo on here will keep up just fine
Playing its gnerally accepted that ultra evil is the best but no need if its just for fun and not super competitive. For targets? leftovers
Call your local field and ask, they can usually recommend a day
I dont wear anything to protect either area, I'll prob take one to the pills tomorrow now, you shouldn't need to

Again call your field and see what their walk on days are

well thanks to everyone who spent their own time reading this, i really appreciate it
if you are looking to upgrade the first thing I would upgrade is your tank, from there I wouldnt spend too much on your setup, just save up until you can ultimately upgrade your gun. Hope this helps and welcome to paintball
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:10 PM #7
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
liquidfiretibby is BST Legit
liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
everything you have will be fine for probably at least your first year, if not more depending on how hooked you get. the first thing i would upgrade is the mask tho. you dont say what type you have, but a good mask is key. if you cant seem because of small field of vision or fog/moisture, or if it just doesnt fit right, you cant do much.

paint is paint for at home. i go to dicks and get the $40 empire munition paint. just check bags before you buy. make sure theres no broken balls and that they're not too oily.

you can never control other players at the field. go out when you want and hopefully the refs will do their best to keep the teams even. remember, you WILL get better faster by playing against better players.

United
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:18 PM #8
Splat209

Splat209 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Splat209 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Splat209 is attending Decay of Nations VI
get a better mask!

"in the grind, it's my time to shine"

ebay username to see feedback:tperez838
Splat209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:21 AM #9
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

has been a member for 10 years
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Coenen has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

1. Dangerous Power G4
You can get a basic, rubber replacement fill nipple cover for a buck or two. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, a couple bucks for a fill nipple cover, can save you $10+ on a new fill nipple. Just my opinion there.
3. Eye force hopper
I might consider upgrading here, an Invert Too or Halo/Reloader B would both be a step up. Something like a Prophecy or Rotor would be a BIG step up, but those purchases will be better saved for when you know you're into paintball for the long haul.
4. Cover for my tank
This is a nice barrel, there is no pressing need to upgrade here in my opinion.
7. Pod Pack with Pods

The difference has been explained by one of the other posters, 4500 tanks hold more air, and are usually quite a bit lighter. As before, if you see yourself playing long term, then yes a nice 4500 tank is a strong investment.
This is a preference call, there is no single "best" barrel, but there are plenty of good options out there. I've used 1 piece, 2 piece and insert based barrel kits, I have yet to observe anything that'd make me say that one type is "better" than another. A quality barrel is going to be quality, regardless of whether it's one piece or two. Just do your homework and make a smart purchase and you should be fine. Frankly, if you've already got a CP barrel, you're pretty much set barrel wise.
The Rotor is very simple internally, and very user friendly in terms of breakdown and cleaning etc. Compared to loaders from days gone by, that's pretty great. Not that older loaders like the Halo weren't good products, they were, and still are, they just didn't have the sort of user friendly refinements that today's top end loaders have.
I'm going to say it depends on the field. Although, I have always associated Sunday with being more of a team-practice, "serious" kind of day, and Saturday with being a more relaxed "recball" sort of day.
Getting shot in the neck is very unpleasant. If you are super worried about it, get yourself a bandanna fold it up cowboy style and tie it around your neck. Honestly though, neck shots happen, but they're not super common. As far as getting shot "downstairs," I've been in paintball for 10 years, and I don't even need both hands to count the number of times I've been shot in the man-region. I've also seen people who get hit there their first time out. It's dumb luck. Again, if you're worried about it, look into some protection down there. Lots of players seem to prefer a "soft" style cup or slider shorts.

Depends on the field and the area. Some fields attract lots of new players, some field don't. Some fields attract lots of experienced guys who will have high-end gear, some won't. In terms of scaring new players off, yes and no. If they play like jerks and shoot up new players, then yeah, they can drive someone right out of the sport. If they decide to be cool and reach out to those new players, they can make a first timer into a lifer.

You're welcome.
BLACK '07+ Planet Eclipse OOPS

Last edited by Coenen : 03-17-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:23 AM #10
Jsres

Jsres supports Empire
As an owner of a Dangerous Power G4 there are somethings that you should know.

1. Dangerous Power G4 its a great beginner gun. nothing wrong with it except for the fact that its a gas hog
2. 47/3000 psi tank (i had a magnet that covered where you fill it up, but i lost it. is it worth buying a new 1? the guy told me that i should get one because if dirt gets in it when im playing, and i try and fill it up with dirt in it, it might pop and get ruined. But its $20 and im not sure if its worth it)This should be your very first upgrade. put down the money on a good 68ci/4500psi carbon tank. As i mentioned above, the Dangerous Power G4 is a pure gas hog. even after going through the break in period, i only got 5 pods and 1 full rotor hopper with maybe 750 psi left in the tank. some good tanks would either be a Guerilla Air stubby tank or perhaps one of the newer Empire tanks. If possible try going down to a local paintball store and see if you can try and see which tank is suitable for you. if your more on the taller side with longer arms perhaps a longer type of tank would be more suitable (Ninja Tanks/certain Guerilla Air Tanks/PMI Tanks). If your on the shorter side with shorter arms then a stubby tank would work better (Most Tanks currently available). spend a few bucks and get the rubber fill nipple covers. if you lose it then ohh wells you can always replace it easily as compared to a $20 piece.
3. Eye force hopperI have no personal experience with the hopper though at the field that i play at, this hopper sits kind of high and is a slightly easier target
4. Cover for my tankIf your going to invest in a new tank, get the tank cover as well. Not only would you get SLIGHT bounce off the tank but say if you mistakenly drop the tank, it could damage the tank to where it might not pass rehydro. With the cover it can prevent knicks and dents to the tank itself. Its like buying a car cover for your tank, you gotta protect your investment
5. Mask (i dont care about upgrading it yet)It all depends on you. as mentioned above about going to a store to see what tank suits you, ask to see if you can try on the display model masks. my first mask was a Proto Switch EL and i thought that was a great mask. Then i upgraded to a Empire Event mask and it is worlds apart in terms of comfort (foam hardness) plus it just looks cooler. Other masks that i have tried would be the JT Proflex (didn't like the foam) and the Dye I4s (NO COVERAGE for my face shape) You could always invest into different lenses for your mask if they are available (thermal lenses which is good for humid climates).
6. CP autocockered barrelGreat barrel. I personally run a CP 2 Piece autococker barrel on my G4 (which has been replaced by a G6R). A good thing about CP barrels is that they are great quality barrels which are more affordable than say Dye Ultralites(didn't jump on the bandwagon) or the Critical 100G Barrel Kit (spent $200 on this kit alone)
7. Pod Pack with PodsIt all depends on your playing style. Are you more of a back player or more in the middle/front? A great quality pack would be the NXe Line of podpacks. you could always pick up a 4+3+2 pack which holds a total of 9 pods which is more than adaquete for pick up games at a rec-field.

1. Is it worth spending an extra $130 on a 4500 psi tank? because im not even sure what the difference is. yes spend the little extra to get a higher capacity tank. on my G4, i was only getting MAYBE 600 shots off a full 68ci/4500psi fill
2. What is the best barrel i can get? is a 1 piece or a 2 piece barrel better? and why is it better?tbh it is up to you. i have a bunch of 1 pc barrels and a few sets of 2 piece barrel kits. I personally like the 2 piece barrels because they can be stored a bit easier than a 1 piece barrel
3. Whats so great about a dye rotor hopper? i cant shoot to fast semi and i choose not to shoot automatic because i dont like wasting my paintballs.as mentioned before its a quick disassembly hopper. I like the rotor because it has a lower profile than say a Halo Too which by the way is a decent hopper for the price
4. What is the best type of paintballs to use? or does it not realy matter? i just like shooting around at targets in my backyard when im not playing actual paintballit really depends on how much you want to spend. i personally spend alot on paint (Ultra Evil when i play pump) and RPS Premium Gold when i play semi. A good alternative to the Empire/RPS line would have to be Valken. Valken Redemption is a very good bright brittle paint and i use it if i can't get my hands on Ultra Evil. If your just going to plink around, Valken Infinity is good for the price point.
5. What is the best day to paintball? is there days where there will be newer players as well playing speedball? Is there worse players playing on saturday than sunday or is it the opposite? It all depends on your locale. Is your area more of a speedball type of scene or is it more of a woodsball/recreational type of scene? I personally play both days and i find that saturdays are normally busier and more of the seasoned rec players come out. Sundays are typically slower due to people going to church or family time but there are still some seasoned players.
6. Should i wear anything to protect my neck? does it hurt if you get shot in the neck? and should i wear a cup or is it not necisary?of course it hurts to get shot in the neck. the one time i got whacked in the adams apple, i dropped to my knees and gagged a little bit. if you want to wear a cup thats up to you but i find that its just more clothing that i have to wear. i dont wear one but thats the risk i take.

Lastly is there anyway i can play against people of my own skill level? like people who use guns that are cheap and not to good like me and who dont know what there doing to good? because the first time i went, i was playing against about 3 people who had borrowed guns on a 6-7 man team, then the next time i went it was about 0-1 players using borrowed guns on a 6 man team. Is it players like them with like dye rotor hoppers and panet eclipes that scare other new people off? or was that just rare to see that many people with good guns?It all depends on the field that you go to. Does the field/field owner cater more towards parties or to the walk-on player? Perhaps if there isn't an option to play with players in your skill bracket then try a different field? If there isn't any other fields in your area, ask the field owner to see if you can jump in the lower division of players. It is certainly intimidating to see the fully decked out player in speedball gear if it is your first time playing but after awhile it shouldn't bother you. A good possibility is that perhaps all the higher bracket players had arranged to play on that day and you just happened to be there but it is not rare to see that many players

In closing,
Highest Priority for you at this time? Get a higher capacity HPA tank/Tank cover and Fill nipple cover. spend the little extra and save yourself the headaches of having woes on the field
Dye DM12 White/Orange aka Creamsicle, Pure Energy 70/45 w/Ninja Reg, Billy Wing Bolt, Dye Rotor
Dye DM12 White/Graphite, Ninja 70/45, Billy Wing Bolt, Dye Rotor
WGP 2k3 Mech Autococker Red/Black, Ninja 70/45, Shocktech parts, JT old school revvy

Certified KEE tech
Jsres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:30 AM #11
biggm28
It's Big M ®

biggm28 is a Paintball photographer
biggm28 is Legendary
biggm28 is Boss
Quote:

1. Dangerous Power G4
Markers fine, Dont waste your money trying to make your gun better. Use your money to play as often as possible!!

The 4500 means it holds more pressure. It will also be lighter by a few ounces. That would be a money issue, if you have it, buy it. If not, your tank will be fine. The nipple cover, you can get them for a buck or 2. You dont need the magnetic ones, they fall off and are useless

3. Eye force hopper

You may wanyt to upgrade this. The eye force isnt a very good hopper. Browse the BST on here and pick up a Velosity, Empire B2, V35 Halo for 20-40 bucks. You will not regret it. Rotors are good loaders. They are damn near indesructible. Jam issues are the only down side to these. I used them all the time thou. They are fast, consistant, easy to maintance, and great on batterys.

4. Cover for my tank

A cover is not needed, but I always had one on my tanks. Thats a bunch of money that could be saved if you slide acrossed a rock and tear the crap out of your tank. Covers are about 15-30 bucks new, or pick a used one up for cheap in the BST.

This is the most important part of your gear. Get a mask that dont fog, fits nice, and is comfy!!! This will make your day a ton more fun when you can see what you are shooting at.

Pretty good barrel. No need to change unless you are ready to get a barrel kit. A kit would be the only thing I would buy becouse it lets you size your paintballs for much improved consistancy and accuracy.

7. Pod Pack with Pods

If it fits, it works!!!

There is no BEST paint. Just stay away from walmart paint. Buy it at a field you know the paint is fresh and not dimpled

Most fields Sundays are the day to ball on. Buy I would call the field and ask them. Or check on here in the field section for a thread on that field. Ask questions there for sure.

You dont need neck protection. And, YES, It does hurt when you get shot in the neck. As far as a cup, nah, take a few to the ball sack like a man.... Yes, That hurts like hell also

You never get better by playing with people on your skill level. WATCH a lot of paintball. Try and learn from the vets out there. And if you have a question, ask one of them MOST people that have played for a long time love to help the n00bz out verses just shooting the crap out of them.

Check the RED
biggm28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:38 AM #12
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
Get a 4500 tank, a nice mask, good hopper, other gear, then a gun. I shot a g4 yesterday and its over milled, there is a fairly large kick back which is extremely hard to deal with if you shoot and reload. The kid told me if it stops firing you need to turn the eyes off and take your hopper off and feed 1 at a time. This happened after maybe 5 shots (and yes, the factory lube was off and another one on) the gun was a month old and the feed neck was basically destroyed and the bolt stuttered after every shot. everyone who owns them seems to like them, but I couldn't stand it and the kid was already asking how much it resells for

I'd suggest etek, proto, axe and for cheaper mini, extcy, or something from azodin
Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 AM #13
cjpaintballer
GEO fanboy <3 #88 ratpack

cjpaintballer plays in the PSP
cjpaintballer owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
cjpaintballer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cjpaintballer supports DLX Technology
Rotor is the best hands down. Your gun doesnt rlly need upgraded, but if u truely want something, get it. You cant go wrong with a custom products two piece barrel. Sunday is usually the day people play. Of course it hurts to get shot in the neck, and if you dont care about feeling that, then a neck protector is not needed.
•SNAKE PLAYERS GANG• •SANDANA OWNERS CLUB•
cjpaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:22 PM #14
azhector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpaintballer View Post
Rotor is the best hands down. Your gun doesnt rlly need upgraded, but if u truely want something, get it. You cant go wrong with a custom products two piece barrel. Sunday is usually the day people play. Of course it hurts to get shot in the neck, and if you dont care about feeling that, then a neck protector is not needed.
Z2... Smalley profile (slightly) a bit lighter, never jams with any paint quality, and if you manage to jam; the anti jam works

Rotor: looks, simplicity, durability (video on youtube of a guy burning and submerging his rotor and still slightly works) but I've seen a ton of jams with rec/woodsball paint. Each gen has gotten better, but not 100%. And the anti jam doesn't work too well

Which is better is up to you, but its not hands down either way
Old 03-19-2012, 06:34 PM #15
skatepb
need a funny sig

skatepb owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
skatepb has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
skatepb has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
i went into this thread then saw all the words
I wish paintball was on tv i really do....but im also glad its not......tv makes things mainstream and mainstream things bring in people who want to be cool by doing what every one else does..........i like playing with people who dont mind spending thousands of dollars on paintball not wannabe losers.
skatepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 PM #16
Swater

Smile

i am under the assumption that you are looking at a carbon fiber (CF) tank. it would be worth it, especially with a G4. reason to it is because of the sheer mass of the marker. it is an extremely light marker, having a steely would make it quiet unbalance and to some uncomfortable. if you want a good high quality small and light CF tank, id go for the new G2 Guerrilla air tanks. it is an extremely light tank. all in all get a CF tank, especially if you play speed.

i personally would choose a two piece, they are simply more versatile. rather then buying a bran new barrel every time. just buy the parts. your options usually are longer barrel, more porting for the front piece, longer barrel backs, mix match colours ect....a CF barrel is nice, but if you are running a steel tank then it may throw your marker assembly off balance.

as for hoppers, you want something reliable, not to complicated ect....having a hopper feeding more then 15bps is just an added bonus and most of the time not needed unless you want to show off or just fool around. you dont usually want to look at capacity because they all hold about the same (exception Pinocchio hoppers)

as for dye rotors they are cave man simple, reliable, fast ball drops and just simply looks sleek and cool.

good options: Rotor, Vmax, Pinocchio, any of the prophecies, or a cheap halo would work.

as for paintballs, playing at the field, you really dont have a lot of options because its usually field paint only. now of course they're are options of byop. as for paint the quality and standards has gone up quite considerably. i personally use, Graffiti, Redemption, marblizers, evil, all gold silver and bronze.

for backyard paint a simple $30 white box would be good enough, stay away from very oily paint though, just do your research to figure out which contains a lot of oil.

this all depends on your area/community and field. best way to find out is just show up. most teams are very welcoming with teaching/ educating and talking to new players. but sundays are the typical days for bring your own paint days, so you can defiantly see owners

well you can always get a neck protection, some buy it some dont, its really up to you, but let me tell you getting hit in your atoms apple SUCK!! otherwise everywhere else is like getting shot on bare skin.

all protections are optional, its really up to you.

my marker load out is :
DM8 *uped
DYE ultralite two piece barrel
Rotor
G2 Guerrilla Air 68/45 tank

please note that this my opinion and they're all based on physical/personal experiences.

Welcome to the Sport of paintball, hope this helps. if you need any help please feel free to shoot me a personal message
Swater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 PM #17
cjpaintballer
GEO fanboy <3 #88 ratpack

cjpaintballer plays in the PSP
cjpaintballer owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
cjpaintballer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cjpaintballer supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhector View Post
Z2... Smalley profile (slightly) a bit lighter, never jams with any paint quality, and if you manage to jam; the anti jam works

Rotor: looks, simplicity, durability (video on youtube of a guy burning and submerging his rotor and still slightly works) but I've seen a ton of jams with rec/woodsball paint. Each gen has gotten better, but not 100%. And the anti jam doesn't work too well

Which is better is up to you, but its not hands down either way
Who has been an owner of multiple rotors AND z2s??? ME!! and TWO of my z2s ruined multiple days of paintball. Love my rotors. AND THEY JAM WITH CRAPPY REC PAINT!!?? what hopper doesnt? oh wait the z2 just chops it... Its paint soup with a z2. Disregard this guys comment. Ive been playing much longer than him obviously cuz of join dates. Love rotors. Hate z2s.
•SNAKE PLAYERS GANG• •SANDANA OWNERS CLUB•
cjpaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 PM #18
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
Quote:

1. Dangerous Power G4
3. Eye force hopper
4. Cover for my tank
7. Pod Pack with Pods

The 4500 tanks are made of carbon fiber. They will be lighter than the aluminum one. Also, if you plan on shooting more or want to get into the tournament scene, then you will want a 4500 tank. You can et the used for around 100. They last 15 years from the birthdate. I still use mine that was made in 2002 and it works great.

2 piece barrel will allow you to switch between barrel length and bore size. However, if you aren't playing competitive, I don't think it is worth investing in a barrel kit. If you have a CP barrel, then you have a good piece of equipment that will last. If you do look to get a different barrel, I would suggest getting one that is 14 inches in length with a .689 bore.

You should always use semi unless you are playing in a game that requires players to use ramp (psp). The rotor is very reliable and very battery efficient. It is also very easy to take apart and clean. Since you are newer, you are lucky that you missed the days when players used the VL evoltion (known as the egg) and the Halo. Great hoppers, but used batteries ( 2 9v and 6 AA, respectively) fast and where hard to take apart and clean.

Any paint will work, but do what you can to support your local pro shop. My NPPL team used DXS BT to practice last season, which is $34 paint. The difference in paint comes with the thickness and durability of the shell and how bright the fill is.

Any day is good to play paintball! It depends on the field. My local field has most teams practicing on sunday and most rec players playing on saturday. It isn't set up like that on purpose, it just happend that way. Either way, you should play against players better than you so you can improve.

I never wore a neck protector, but I have been shot there before and it doesn't feel good. It is preference. As for a cup, I would definitely recommend a soft one. The only other option would be to get a pair of pants that has groin padding built in.

People are under the impression that having a fancy gun and bright brand name jerseyes makes you an allstar. Honestly, when I play, I will be gunning for the guy who is wearing a plain tshirt and using a pump over the kid with all new 2012 dye gear and his new ego11. Guns and gear don't make players; practice, patience, and hardwork do. When you play, play against people who are better than you. Make sure the teams are equal, but don't be afraid to go take on the more experienced players. If you have confidence, then you have the ability to learn and become a better player. Experience players will recognize that and will do what they can to teach you new skills. Also, keep in mind that you can never stop learning. I had a perfect example of this yesterday. I was practicing 1v1 and I was playing against Ryan Martin from LA Ironmen (pro PSP). First game he shot me. He told me that he knew where I was because my elbow was sticking out too much. Next time we played, I remembered that and stayed tight. I shot him in the face in our second game. He asked me what I saw in his play that he should change (He plays pro and I play D3!). I told him to keep his gun up because I shot him when he was looking around with his gun down. On our third game, we shot each other at the same time. Again, you can always learn even when you are pro.

Last thing. For upgrading equipment, make sure you have a good quality mask. Having a fast gun and good stuff won't do you any good if you can't see. It is worth spending the money on a good mask. Look for one with thermal lenses. Also, for a hopper, if you don't feel like spending the money on a top line hopper like a rotor or z2, I would suggest looking into getting an invert halo too. It can keep up with any marker. Just takes a little longer to take apart.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:31 PM #19
Ironside

Annual Supporting Member
Ironside is playing at Living Legends VII
Ironside posts videos on PbNation
Ironside supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat209 View Post
get a better mask!
I fully agree with this statement. Try on friend's masks, try them out in stores, find one that you like and is comfortable. DO NOT SKIMP ON YOUR MASK. IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY YOU SPEND! If you cannot see clearly, it blows. Proper mask solves this problem.
Recommend JT Flexes. Relatively inexpensive, and I have friends who exclusively wear them.

NEXT: Paintball pants. Get some used ones here on pbnation for under 40$. Besides a mask and gun (you have a pretty solid one), get paintball pants. I played in jeans forever and then got some pants, and it was night and day difference.

After that, its totally up to you.

MASK -> PANTS -> Anything after that.

Last edited by Ironside : 03-19-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Ironside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:25 AM #20
Bestinwest

Bestinwest has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bestinwest has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bestinwest is attending Decay of Nations VI
Ths was very useful! Im thinking of getting an electro later when I get more money... but right now Im stuck with an a5. I guess it'll have to do...
Bestinwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:01 AM #21
azhector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpaintballer View Post
Who has been an owner of multiple rotors AND z2s??? ME!! and TWO of my z2s ruined multiple days of paintball. Love my rotors. AND THEY JAM WITH CRAPPY REC PAINT!!?? what hopper doesnt? oh wait the z2 just chops it... Its paint soup with a z2. Disregard this guys comment. Ive been playing much longer than him obviously cuz of join dates. Love rotors. Hate z2s.
I've been playing for almost 6 years now... I never joined here or ****** til recently because I prefer to deal locally with bst, and just ask questions at the field. But you realize that there is a sensitivity control on the z2...? I've yet to chop a ball with any of the hopers I've owned (due to the hopper) maybe it's because I actually take care of my gear.

Ps if your getting into a debate from a "third person"comment, to back up with details AND an actual occurrence helps it go from invalid to a supportable clause