I'm a slithery snake

Annual Supporting Member
Chuckles_031 is playing at Living Legends VII
Chuckles_031 is for the Gunfight
Chuckles_031 supports Pev's Paintball
Chuckles_031 plays in the APPA D4 division
Chuckles_031 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
field in fairbanks

Hey guys I was just sitting here in my cot, in a tent, in a ****hole, in Afghanistan, and was wondering if there would be any interest in a legit field in and around fairbanks. I will be spending alot of time on ideas, and would love to have input. I know that right now the interest in paintball is probably next to nil, but I would love to try. So that being said throw me some input and show some love.
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2012, 12:52 AM #2
Chuckles_031
I'm a slithery snake

Annual Supporting Member
come on folks, let me hear your thoughts/ideas/concerns/suggestions, I think fairbanks needs a field, I know that might be a stretch if there is a lack of interest.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:42 PM #3
AKgorrillaballz

i think the field would be a great idea, interest in pb is low here due to the lack of pb suppliers and lack of a place to play and ppl to play with with the bases here i think that ppl would come out after there was enough exposure to the idea and access to quality paintball products there arent even paintballs worth shooting in town and shipping is too expensive to order them i know of about 50 ppl who play during the summer and if someone were to sell anything here even midgrade paintballs they would have 100 percent of the paintball buisness there would be no competition period and thats just the ppl i know of. and once the word gets out more ppl will be involved as long as there was rental gear to get ppl hooked. and if u start a field please get an hpa system ppl here cant have quality guns because of the lack of hpa fills and only 3000psi.
AKgorrillaballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:47 PM #4
ndpenner
2k1'er

has been a member for 10 years
Any sort of field or at least a play area where we could throw up air-bunkers would be great. Competing with the airsoft people for the paintball field area in North Pole got tiring last summer.

That being said, Some other things would have to change first before a field would be able to last. Some standardization of rules amongst all the little groups as far as play (do gun hits count, can you blindfire, etc.) and ANYTHING that slightly resembled safety would be a big step in the right direction. Most of the people I got a chance to play with were cool, just not very open to suggestion as far any sort of changes were concerned. And it wasn't like I came in and tried to take things over or anything. Just simple things like "hey...can you guys use barrel covers please?" weren't really appreciated. The fact that we've got what is basically a bunch noobs (NO offense meant towards anyone, just that that's the skill level here. Out of everyone I played with, nobody had any basic marker skills, communication was nonexistant, and few people knew what their marker was, much less how to operate it.) who's view of the sport is buy some form of tourney gun with an outdated board, throw it on full auto and play turret.

The culture needs to change. Safety has gotta be at the forefront of it all. We had a chrony out there. Awesome. Why it wasnt being utilized till after games...who knows. Pretty upsetting to find out that your wife just got nailed in the head by a guy shooting 328 on full auto from closer than 40 feet away. To anyone that says "suck it up" or whatever, here's a couple of scenarios for ya. A) Somebody get's nailed in the eye from a few feet away in the staging area. The person loses their eye or whatever emergency room situation insues, along with some form of negative press and the city or whoever paying a lot more unwanted attention to the paintball area or possibly shutting it down to prevent people from being hurt. Something like this WILL happen here. Only a matter of time. Why? Because NO ONE but me and my wife have a barrel cover and safe/turn off our markers when we're not playing and we don't walk around with our fingers on the trigger for no apparent reason. I asked people why. I got some stupid responses. "I'd never do that so I don't need a cover"...reeeeeaaallly? I lost quite a bit of respect after that comment was made. "I don't turn it off because I can't find how to make it full auto again". WOW...umm...ok then. This was said walking off the field with our masks off well after a game was over, and I got 3 in my foot and sprayed with dirt and other forest floor debris. B) We'll pretend my wife gets lit up in the back of the head from bunkering range on full auto with a marker chronied well over 300 by some noob who freaks out and clamps down on the trigger upon seeing the back of my wife's head. My wife hits the ground, and I proceed to beat said idiot half to death before castrating them with their cheating machine gun. I've seen so many accidental shots at the ground or at other people during times when we're not playing that it's sad. There is no "safe zone". It's gotta exist in your head before it translates onto the field.

Drinking and smoking pot at the field. How retarded are some people? I mean, other than being at least some form of misdemeanor or felony or whatever (I'm not a lawyer and don't claim to be, I just know pot's illegal and firing something that's legally considered an "air rifle" with alcohol in your system is illegal) it's stupid. I'm not gonna rant about how irritating and unsafe it is to shoot some drunk guy only to have him play on and then get angry and want to fight people because he got shot. I've lived it a few times. Its stupid.

Now for the "fun" aspect. It sucks to spend 10+ years learning to play paintball and refining your techniques only to join a group who sits in the back with full autos and forces you to play "kill the turret" EVERY dang game. It sucks that when you do get hit, it's repeatedly and it's in the 320fps+ range. It sucks that you have to keep your mask on all day in the staging area or just park really far away from everyone just so you don't risk losing your eyes. It sucks to get shot in the leg by your teammate while you're walking to the field.

Anyway, the point of this boils down to a few details that would keep people coming back.
1. Put your guns on semi or at least cap it 12.5 or something reasonable
2. Use barrel covers
3. Safe/turn your markers off when you're not playing
4. If you're gonna buy a high-end gun, rtfm (read the frickin' manual) and if you still can't operate it, go to something less high-tech
5. Learn some basic marker handling skills (i.e. how to hold it for starters)
6. Learn how to communicate and move (paintball is about movement and teamwork, not about how much paint you can spray)
7. Watch the language. Everyone slips...but gosh...saying f*** every other word actually makes it seem like you're inbred or handicapped or in middle-school or a combination of those

Make those changes and NEW people, not just your group of friends, will continue to play and everyone will benefit. If new blood doesn't come into the sport and stay, the sport dies. I've seen it first hand multiple times.

Now, if you don't know who I am by now or you're new to the scene here, I'm not a new guy who got owned every game and ran away crying or any nonsense like that. I shoot a bone stock mech Spyder, and just as a statement of fact, not bragging, other than the day I jacked up my hamstring, I....however you say "survived almost every game and shot the entire other team by myself, all summer",as humbly as possible, insert that here.

This rant isn't to bag on people. It's frustration. we've got so much potential here, and nothing has been done to harness it and move it in the right direction. There's 50+ regulars that play. We have a place to play. And Brent and Lache are cool. We just need some things to change.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:54 PM #5
ndpenner
2k1'er

has been a member for 10 years
Thought I should offer something other than my rant:

I've got going on 12 years in the sport now, most of it playing tourney ball (airball or tire/barrel/spool fields that resemble pro setups) I've reffed/ran multiple tournaments, I've built, rebuilt, and maintained a city field for roughly 7 years, I've been sponsored, I've played pump/mech/electro you name it, I've teched or built from the ground up everything from Spyders to Tippmanns to Intimidators to Angels etc., I've played airball/woods/desert/rec-fields/etc., I helped a buddy run a shop and used to sell paint and stuff on the side to pay for my play.

If you need any sort of help or input, I'm your guy.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 PM #6
Chuckles_031
I'm a slithery snake

Annual Supporting Member
Hey sorry i just checked the thread, i agree 100% with you ill get in touch with you sometime this week and talk more man
Old 04-19-2012, 07:39 PM #7
JxBird

JxBird owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I would be all in for this idea and down to help with any part of it. I just got stationed at Eielson and have been looking for something like this since I got here!
JxBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 AM #8
Chuckles_031
I'm a slithery snake

Annual Supporting Member
Yeah alot of people are interested its just the business part of its a pain in the *** haha
Old 04-24-2012, 12:50 AM #9
JxBird

JxBird owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Yea man, understandable. I just hate that i got stationed in a place with less paintball then where i came :/
JxBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:00 PM #10
Masterhuffy

Masterhuffy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I think it would be hard to force people who normally play at a place to change there bad habbits. I think if you operated to place to play and offerd paint and air. It would be a lot easier. This was the only way I was able to enforce the rules before. Have you guys been able to talk to a guy named Eric? Not sure if he is still in fairbanks. Think his name on here is Kurupt310 or something.

Last edited by Masterhuffy : 07-28-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: info
Masterhuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:03 PM #11
AKgorrillaballz

talk to the dude who used to own the cushman field his name is kreig sabedra he works at denali industrial supply. and there plenty of potential local sponsors and plenty of companies like the ones that sponsor fields everywhere someone just has to do the paperwork and foot work or start looking for investors thats another option maybe get some publicity and get that sucker started so we can play some ball.
AKgorrillaballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:21 PM #12
Chuckles_031
I'm a slithery snake

Annual Supporting Member
Yeah i've been trying, the land though is the big issue, just getting it zoned and the proper insurance, it starts getting expensive
Old 08-27-2012, 12:21 PM #13
riddlenkidpb
U.S Infantry

riddlenkidpb owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
riddlenkidpb owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
riddlenkidpb supports Team VICIOUS
riddlenkidpb plays in the APPA beginner division
im at wainwright, and im also looking for a local place to play, instead of wasilla or anchorage...
Old 08-28-2012, 12:51 AM #14
Chuckles_031
I'm a slithery snake

Annual Supporting Member
I think it would be a good idea for everyone interested in starting this to get together and throw out ideas
Old 09-16-2012, 10:35 PM #15
Downsie
Forward #4

Downsie is playing at Living Legends V
Downsie owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
im in the air force based at eielson...back when i lived in ohio during the winter we went and played re-ball in this barn with a small air bunker field. if we could find a location, air ball bunkers, and have everyone bring their own reballs it would work

Team ATM #27

GEARBAG SALE!
(JT FLEX, 68,45 Tank, & More)

There ain't no hope for the youth, well the truth is, there ain't no hope for the future. -Tupac
Downsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:39 PM #16
Chuckles_031
I'm a slithery snake

Annual Supporting Member
Trouble would be doing the heating and air fills. I know someone who has a field that might be willing to work with it but, we would need to find a barn
Old 09-16-2012, 10:54 PM #17
Downsie
Forward #4

Downsie is playing at Living Legends V
Downsie owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
we played in a church gym one time..it doesn't have to be a barn. if we use reballs nothing gets dirty. as far as air i just brought 2 45 tanks with me.

Team ATM #27

GEARBAG SALE!
(JT FLEX, 68,45 Tank, & More)

There ain't no hope for the youth, well the truth is, there ain't no hope for the future. -Tupac
Downsie is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups