Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: How would you like to see ID tape worn?
2" red/blue tape on arm with 12" long strips of 1" tape on goggle strap above each ear for unit. 28 45.16%
Red/blue survey tape on goggle strap with strips of 1" tape on arm for unit. 19 30.65%
Either way is fine with me 15 24.19%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 PM #22
DeadeyeDante
Booper of Noses...

DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends V
DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends VI
DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends VII
DeadeyeDante supports Team VICIOUS
DeadeyeDante supports Empire
I'm with you Skipp, people irritate me sometimes...
E-Flex Army
DeadeyeDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2012, 11:22 PM #23
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

ViperScenarios is playing at Living Legends III
ViperScenarios is playing at Living Legends V
ViperScenarios owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ViperScenarios supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdogg View Post
I dont understand people that would rather see the unit color over side color (see head before arm 99% of time). Now the first thing we'll all see is 10 different colors for every squad...arg people
The blue team with have three shades of green, yellow, or light blue. Not too difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleManKraus View Post
I wish we could get away with wearing our unit color on one arm and team color on the other. This is getting too confusing for us simple folk who just shoot at people who are facing them.
We did that last year. It did NOT work.
ViperScenarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 AM #24
RTE33

has been a member for 10 years
RTE33 is playing at Living Legends V
RTE33 is playing at Living Legends VI
RTE33 is playing at Living Legends VII
Tape on masks is flat out just stupid. Why not just make it easier and have everyone run around with little colored bicycle flags above their heads.
This is paintball, there is suppose to be some element of un knowing to get the adrenaline up. Makes you wonder who is behind that bunker, door, tree, car etc. if all you can see is their head. cant always be gift wrapped for you.
For those who really need tape on their head gear, this aint no sissy video game you are going to have to take risks.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 AM #25
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
I do have to say that for marking goggles, surveyor's tape seems like it might be a better option. For me, it's not an issue of having a team/affiliation/squad marking at the head level. That's no problem. My concern is cleaning up tape residue after the event from my mask. I know the mess it leaves behind on my jersey, and that makes me a little nervous having the same sort of thing on my mask. That, and loose edges of tape (it happens!) and hair? Ouch!

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 AM #26
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTE33 View Post
Tape on masks is flat out just stupid. Why not just make it easier and have everyone run around with little colored bicycle flags above their heads.
This is paintball, there is suppose to be some element of un knowing to get the adrenaline up. Makes you wonder who is behind that bunker, door, tree, car etc. if all you can see is their head. cant always be gift wrapped for you.
For those who really need tape on their head gear, this aint no sissy video game you are going to have to take risks.
At most other Viper events ID tape is optional. However, due to the nature of Living Legends, we do require it at this event.

Firstly Living Legends was originally conceived as an event where all paintballers can get together and have a great weekend. Because of this we get, and welcome, industry people, pro tournament players, and lots of other people who may or may not be familiar with the subtleties of scenario paintball. For this reason we trim things back a bit compared to our regular events.

Furthermore the format for Living Legends took years to develop. It is unique and players enjoyed it a lot last year. It made this field, with the number of players Living Legends draws, play really well. For it to work it is important that the referees be able to identify players from the five units that make up each side. For this reason they need to be marked well enough that a referee can tell what unit the players are from during an intense 100 vs 100 firefight.

So these are the reasons for it. If you are looking for something a little more complex, with optional ID tape and such, you might also look at attending one of my other events in 2012.

Last edited by ViperScenarios : 03-21-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:49 AM #27
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
I do have to say that for marking goggles, surveyor's tape seems like it might be a better option. For me, it's not an issue of having a team/affiliation/squad marking at the head level. That's no problem. My concern is cleaning up tape residue after the event from my mask. I know the mess it leaves behind on my jersey, and that makes me a little nervous having the same sort of thing on my mask. That, and loose edges of tape (it happens!) and hair? Ouch!
This isn't cheap tape. I just pulled it back off and didn't notice any leftovers. If it did leave anything you can easily remove the glue with WD-40 and a paper towel.

Yes...another use for WD-40.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 AM #28
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Hey there fellow early riser.

Good to know on the tape. Really looking forward to being back at Living Legends!

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 PM #29
RTE33

RTE33 is playing at Living Legends V
RTE33 is playing at Living Legends VI
RTE33 is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperScenarios View Post
At most other Viper events ID tape is optional. However, due to the nature of Living Legends, we do require it at this event.

Firstly Living Legends was originally conceived as an event where all paintballers can get together and have a great weekend. Because of this we get, and welcome, industry people, pro tournament players, and lots of other people who may or may not be familiar with the subtleties of scenario paintball. For this reason we trim things back a bit compared to our regular events.
Well aware of how the event was conceived. The first event was still in my opinion the best. The same event vibe is not there anymore unfortunately.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 PM #30
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

Interesting. May I ask what you feel is missing now?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:09 PM #31
DeadeyeDante
Booper of Noses...

DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends V
DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends VI
DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends VII
DeadeyeDante supports Team VICIOUS
DeadeyeDante supports Empire
Quote:
This isn't cheap tape. I just pulled it back off and didn't notice any leftovers. If it did leave anything you can easily remove the glue with WD-40 and a paper towel.

Yes...another use for WD-40.
Just remember Viper

"If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40".
E-Flex Army
DeadeyeDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:33 AM #32
mustangjohn
Mustangjohn

I think this is a great plan. Every game I've played at uses arm bands to identify sides. This keeps it simple and allows even the newbies to easily identify friend or foe. Unit id is more specialized and having that somewhere other than the arm will avoid the confusion of last year. The unit colors are really just for your own players use and refs for scoring.

RIP Dog 1
mustangjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 AM #33
calvman
Clickety screeeee

Annual Supporting Member
calvman is a Mega Moderator
calvman is a Supporting Member
calvman is playing at Living Legends VII
A punch for not properly displaying your colors? Really?

If you want to introduce people to the scenario game, this is a mistake. While it might be nice to encourage people to wear color tape, it shouldn't be enforced with a rule that might get you ejected from the game.

It's not a safety issue and as you stated it's not at all a requirement for any other scenario. It's just plain wrong.

"Always buy the biggest bottle."

ASM|macroline guy|BPP|DAB Photo|Inception|Powered by EXALT
calvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 AM #34
Skipdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvman View Post

If you want to introduce people to the scenario game, this is a mistake. While it might be nice to encourage people to wear color tape, it shouldn't be enforced with a rule that might get you ejected from the game.

It's not a safety issue and as you stated it's not at all a requirement for any other scenario. It's just plain wrong.

Just to point out about card punches from my experience. I have attended every living legends after year one, and in that time I have never been punched, no one that I came with has ever been punched, and I have never talked to or over heard anyone talking about getting a punch. So in general I wouldnt take the hole punch thing so serious. Not to say Viper isnt serious about it, etc. Just that it seems the overwhelming majority of the players play fair and by the rules, and that no one seems to have negative experiences about getting punches.
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 AM #35
Skipdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleManKraus View Post
I wish we could get away with wearing our unit color on one arm and team color on the other. This is getting too confusing for us simple folk who just shoot at people who are facing them.
Viper is correct. This did NOT work last year. I dont have a problem with where the tape is being located. But since we could choose what it represented, i would have rather had side color on the head so its quicker to see what team they are on. I could care less what unit the guy on the other team is from. This is something a ref needs to worry about, not the player. It'll be alright though. I'm not going to loose sleep over it. Viper does a great job on this event, and I will play it no matter what. I'm just voicing my opinion....this is still the internet right
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:02 AM #36
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

Quote:

During player orientation I always make it a point to explain that a judge punch isn't a punishment or a demerit. We simply use that system to keep track of when a player is warned about something. This event will have over a thousand players, and dozens of referees. If each of those refs wanted to "be nice and just give the player a warning" that would be a lot of warnings. However, thirty refs could "give them a warning" and no one would ever know the player was a problem. If this was for over shooting, or wiping, or being verbally abusive, or other things that affected how much fun you were having, I doubt you would want them to get thirty or forty warnings.

We don't eject people for a violation. We give them a warning. When we give them a warning we punch their card once so that other refs know the player has been warned about something. Three warnings and they're out. It's fair and has worked well for a decade and a half, at nearly a hundred events, and with thousands of players.

In sixteen years we have ejected two people for judge punches. Not that we don't hand them out, but because people take things more seriously after they receive one or two. It's a "three strikes" system.

Rules are rules...and for your enjoyment we do our best to enforce them so that no one spoils your good time. Personally I couldn't give a rat's *** if people wore tape. Less tape costs us less money. But the majority of the players want everyone to wear tape, so we will do our best to make sure they do so that everyone can have as much fun as possible.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:31 PM #37
calvman
Clickety screeeee

Annual Supporting Member
While I can fully understand your need to accommodate as many people's needs, I still feel that making the wearing of tape a punchable offense is wrong and this is why.

On one of the previous events I attended (I think it was LL3), there was an episode where our team had pushed the opposing team back to their insert point. We had taken the tree line and were holding the opposing team back from our position. There was one player who was wearing your basic camo bdu type outfit but not wearing marking tape. We asked him why he wasn't wearing arm tape and gave it little thought. Turns out he was an opposing player and was quietly barrel tagging our team from our position in the tree line. While I can't say I was pleased about having our players eliminated, I have to give him credit for a really ballsy play. We were talking about it in the staging area as I'm sure he was his teammates. It definitely added another interesting aspect to the game.

By prohibiting the not wearing of tape, this kind of play is not possible, and we are all less off for it.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM #38
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

From earlier in the thread.

Quote:

Furthermore the format for Living Legends took years to develop. It is unique and players enjoyed it a lot last year. It made this field, with the number of players Living Legends draws, play really well. For it to work it is important that the referees be able to identify players from the five units that make up each side. For this reason they need to be marked well enough that a referee can tell what unit the players are from during an intense 100 vs 100 firefight.

So these are the reasons for it. If you are looking for something a little more complex, with optional ID tape and such, you might also look at attending one of my other events in 2012.
Calyman I appreciate your input. I really do. And I agree. However these are the rules for this unique event, and there is no point having any rules if they aren't going to be enforced. As stated above "If you are looking for something a little more complex, with optional ID tape and such, you might also look at attending one of my other events in 2012."

We have events in New York and Maryland later in the year. At those the format is more complex and ID tape is optional. You should come out and give them a try.

Last edited by ViperScenarios : 03-22-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:06 PM #39
calvman
Clickety screeeee

Annual Supporting Member
No worries Viper. I'm all about having a good time. If those are the rules, those are the rules.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:09 AM #40
mustangjohn
Mustangjohn

Quote:
While I can fully understand your need to accommodate as many people's needs, I still feel that making the wearing of tape a punchable offense is wrong and this is why.

On one of the previous events I attended (I think it was LL3), there was an episode where our team had pushed the opposing team back to their insert point. We had taken the tree line and were holding the opposing team back from our position. There was one player who was wearing your basic camo bdu type outfit but not wearing marking tape. We asked him why he wasn't wearing arm tape and gave it little thought. Turns out he was an opposing player and was quietly barrel tagging our team from our position in the tree line. While I can't say I was pleased about having our players eliminated, I have to give him credit for a really ballsy play. We were talking about it in the staging area as I'm sure he was his teammates. It definitely added another interesting aspect to the game.

By prohibiting the not wearing of tape, this kind of play is not possible, and we are all less off for it.
I can give you an equally interesting story. Last year I was on base defense. We had a player come rushing out of the woods wearing no tape. As I was in a position of last defense I lit him up as he rushed forward. He then proceeded to call me every name in the book as he was one of our players returning with a prop. He claimed I should have indentified him before shooting. An argument ensued ending with me walking away and sitting out a few hours while I cooled off. I knew I didn't do anything wrong, but it still ruined my day as I caught crap for doing the right thing.
I say if it’s in the rules, follow it. Viper puts on a class act show!

RIP Dog 1
mustangjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:50 PM #41
pballer0303
shreddin the gnar

pballer0303 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Id think the place to put it is on the feedneck...that way you can see it from any angle you could get shot by them, if that makes sense
pballer0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:07 PM #42
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

And what about pistols? Mag-fed markers? Players running without a marker?

As I've said, most other options have been discussed and ruled out for good reasons. The best options were voted on, and we have a decision.

Since the decision has been made what say we just sit back and see how it works before deciding it needs to be changed...again...before it's even been tried.

(Nice T2 in your avatar. I have one myself. CCM FTW)