I am indifferent. 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2012, 01:11 PM #1
AaronGPB

AaronGPB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AaronGPB supports Pev's Paintball
AaronGPB has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
We need a merger.

I know that I'm just beating a dead horse, but hopefully, someone in the management of PSP/NPPL will see this.

please vote in the pole!
AaronGPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2012, 01:17 PM #2
walktheBoard

we don't need a merger, but we do need either of the formats to die. preferably NPPL, I like the style better(semi auto, no coaching) but I think x-ball has a stronger chance in becoming legitimate
Old 03-14-2012, 01:20 PM #3
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

I agree. One unified league for the tournament segment of paintball would help immensely with marketing and branding. Having everything split apart also splits market share for both entities, which means neither one is seeing the profit they should or could be.

NPPL 7-man format is dying, it's obvious from the numbers that 5-man xball is and will be the dominant format moving forward.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:30 PM #4
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is playing at Living Legends V
Racso is playing at Living Legends VI
Racso is playing at Living Legends VII
Racso is Legendary
Either a merger or one dies. Here are my reasons why:

Speedball is the smallest form of PB, with a lot that could be made of it to grow the sport. For outsiders, it could be really confusing for there to be 2 different formats. For example, how simple is it that there is the universal 300 FPS? But that is about where it ends. BPS is 12.5 semi auto or ramping in one league, but 15 in another, and semi only. In one league you can coach, but not in the other. Games are scored this way in one league, but this way in the other.

Just way too confusing.

Also, with two leagues, each is only getting half the attention they could be getting. What I would prefer is 5 or 6 regular season tournaments, with world cup having a special Invite Only bracket. Still have everyone come if they want, but have seeded brackets from the past tourneys. Think of it as the playoffs over a weekend. That would really make world cup more than just the last tourney of the year.

There could also be benefits to paint sponsorship.

The only downfalls is that with only one league, they could pretty much run the show.
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:37 PM #5
Mysterio505

Mysterio505 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I agree with a merger. Though if you think about it, there is a small possibility that the newly unified leauge might put on less events due to costs.

NPPL = 5 (or 4 this year with vancouver cancellation)
PSP = 5

I do not see 10 events a year from one leauge. At best we might get 7 and then a Championship

Also, in addition to merging, there should also be sponsered events, such as the DYE Open or the Draxxus Open, this way they can move the tournaments all over and decrease costs for the leauge.
FuzzyNuts - Team Blue - #005
Mysterio505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:46 PM #6
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio505 View Post
Also, in addition to merging, there should also be sponsered events, such as the DYE Open or the Draxxus Open, this way they can move the tournaments all over and decrease costs for the leauge.
I like the sound of this. These smaller open tourneys could act as feeder leagues for the divisional tourneys as well.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:32 PM #7
Luigi Speed 05
PBN made me a gun whore..

Luigi Speed 05 plays in the PSP
Luigi Speed 05 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Luigi Speed 05 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Luigi Speed 05 plays in the APPA D4 division
Luigi Speed 05 supports DLX Technology
no we don't need a merger. what we need is an unified format.
I think most people want the sport to be more mainstream, on tv all
the time, with big outside sponsors and pro players making a living
out of playing the game we all love to play more than to watch, imo.

what we need is an organizing body, committee, whatever you want
to call it. every single major sport has one of those, like a worldwide
organization dedicated to enforce ONE set of rules, anti-dopping tests
and all that other good stuff that comes with legitimacy..

$outh Beach Pimp$ sponsored by: Planet Eclipse, SobePaintball, Deadly Wind, Ninja Paintball & The Ford Report

DaLuxeMob
Luigi Speed 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:52 PM #8
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is playing at Living Legends V
Racso is playing at Living Legends VI
Racso is playing at Living Legends VII
Racso is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio505 View Post
You say this like the league pays money out to host a tournament. Sure that are costs to host a tourney, but at the end of a tourney, the leagues are making money. Entry fees, advertising fees, licensing fees, etc. They even get PAID (rather, demand) money to use bunkers.

They just know that teams can only afford so many tournaments so that is why they limit it.
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:07 AM #9
Mysterio505

Mysterio505 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racso

You say this like the league pays money out to host a tournament. Sure that are costs to host a tourney, but at the end of a tourney, the leagues are making money. Entry fees, advertising fees, licensing fees, etc. They even get PAID (rather, demand) money to use bunkers.

They just know that teams can only afford so many tournaments so that is why they limit it.
In not saying they don't make a profit, but they could make a larger profit, which would ultimately help the sport. They could make it cheaper for other teams to go pro and have bigger brackets or just give other teams the ability to participate in the events.

They are always looking for more teams to join that why they made a huge deal when Galveston this year had the most teams in league history. More teams equal more money.
FuzzyNuts - Team Blue - #005
Mysterio505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:50 AM #10
wangerinjaw

wangerinjaw plays in the PSP
wangerinjaw plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racso View Post
Either a merger or one dies. Here are my reasons why:

Speedball is the smallest form of PB, with a lot that could be made of it to grow the sport. For outsiders, it could be really confusing for there to be 2 different formats. For example, how simple is it that there is the universal 300 FPS? But that is about where it ends. BPS is 12.5 semi auto or ramping in one league, but 15 in another, and semi only. In one league you can coach, but not in the other. Games are scored this way in one league, but this way in the other.

Just way too confusing.

Also, with two leagues, each is only getting half the attention they could be getting. What I would prefer is 5 or 6 regular season tournaments, with world cup having a special Invite Only bracket. Still have everyone come if they want, but have seeded brackets from the past tourneys. Think of it as the playoffs over a weekend. That would really make world cup more than just the last tourney of the year.

There could also be benefits to paint sponsorship.

The only downfalls is that with only one league, they could pretty much run the show.
I think pro division should be seeded but for a lot of lower division teams, they can only go to one event a year, and most teams choose to make that one event cup. Seeding all divisions would cut out a lot of those teams. But it would add legitimacy to the pro division of the sport for their to be playoffs.
wangerinjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:10 PM #11
warlordtfc

warlordtfc is BST Trusted
warlordtfc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
warlordtfc is for the Gunfight
warlordtfc has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
warlordtfc has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
warlordtfc supports DLX Technology
A problem is PSP is IMO more for action-packed athletes, whereas NPPL is more laid back. Personally, I'd play an NPPL over a PSP anyday, becuase I can't play for long periods of time, becuase I'm out of shape.

If paintball was to go HUGE, I think PSP would have more success in being a more standard type of format.
PTN #253
warlordtfc is offline   Reply With Quote