has been a member for 10 years
Nicky T works for a Paintball manufacturer
Nicky T supports Bob Gurnsey
Etha Tech Poster

For anyone who is interested;
Etha Tech Poster

Link to original post: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...9#post73194559

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NickyTruter

Last edited by calvman : 09-19-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2011, 05:15 PM #2
xluben
Ben Johnson Photography

Annual Supporting Member
xluben is a Paintball photographer
xluben plays in the PSP
xluben owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
xluben posts videos on PbNation
xluben owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
How the Etha Works (Including Animation)

Seeing a lot of questions and comments on how the Etha works. This post is in my Etha thread, but it seems like people are missing it, so I figured I'd make a separate post:

Below I have animated the images from the manual. A few of my comments on the operation...
  • This is a spool valve.
  • It is not based on the GEO drivetrain.
  • It is not a poppet valve.*
*All of the seals are axially sealing o-rings. There are no face seals (or "poppets"). The manual chooses to call the center stalk a poppet, but it is not actually creating a face seal.

Two key features of this design are the fact that it seals the dump chamber when the firing sequence is initiated, and it that it has a 2 stage bolt speed profile (starts moving slowly and then rapidly speeds up on the second half of its movement). The first is important because sealing the firing chamber is critical for efficiency. The second will allow the gun to deal with misloaded or jammed paint very well.

Enough comments. Here is the animation:

Edit: Found a better animation online. No idea who made it

Edit 2: Even better animation from lentyay. Thanks!

Here's a quick rundown of the operation (taken from the manual).

Quote:
Assuming the Etha is gassed up and turned on the marker will be in its idle position. The bolt is held back under the tension from the bolt spring, with the bolt guide filled with pressurized gas directly from the inline regulator. The firing poppet is held in its forward positioning by the firing poppet spring, keeping the bolt guide sealed.

When the trigger is pulled and electrical signal is sent to the solenoid which directs a supply of air to the rear of the firing poppet. The force of this gas is greater than the spring tension pushing the firing poppet forward, and the firing poppet is pushed back to its rear position. In the bolt guide this opens the exhaust port to the bolt and seals off the supply port from the inline regulator.

The gas pressure in the bolt guide forces the bolt forward, overcoming the spring tension from the bolt spring, this pushes a ball into the breach and closes off the feed tube. The internal stem of the bolt is pushed out of the bold guide, which then fully opens the exhaust port, allowing the pressurized gas in the bolt guide to exhaust through the bold propelling a ball.

As the bolt guide volume empties, the force pushing the bolt forwards decreases and the bolt spring starts to push the bolt back into the bolt guide exhaust port. The spring continues to push the bolt back up to its rest position against the rear bolt bumper.

The solenoid continues to hold the firing poppet in its rear position until the Dwell time expires. When this expires the solenoid exhausts the supply of air from the rear of the firing poppet, removing the force holding the firing poppet in this position. The firing poppet spring forces the firing poppet forwards, closing the exhaust port and opening the supply from the inline regulator.

The bolt guide begins to fill with pressurized gas. The Etha has now completed a full cycle.

And a more succinct description from Uziel Gal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uziel Gal View Post
The poppet is moved backwards by air pressure, not by magnetism. This air is supplied by the solenoid.

As the poppet moves backwards, it unseals the stem of the valve chamber, allowing air to flow to the bolt, pushing it forwards to chamber a ball in the barrel. As the bolt moves forwards, it is compressing the return spring.

When the bolt reaches the front of it's travel, the air is released from behind the bolt to fire the ball.

At the same time that the poppet is moving back to release air along the stem, it is also closing the air supply to the valve chamber, so the marker fires from a fixed volume of air - air isn't always being fed to the valve chamber, and isn't free flowing through the valve chamber for as long as the bolt is forwards.

When the valve chamber has emptied, the spring in front of the bolt can push the bolt rearward again.

When the solenoid dwell time has expired, the air that was being used to push back and hold the poppet in the rear position is released. This allows the spring behind the poppet to push it forwards again.

When the poppet moves forwards, the stem of the viring chamber is sealed again, so air cannot reach the bolt. The poppet moving forwards also allows air back in to the firing chamber to re-charge.

^^^
Not sure if you will find that explanation any easier than the version from the manual, but hopefully that helps.
I hope this clears up any confusion...

Link to original post: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post73224425

Last edited by calvman : 09-19-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:22 AM #3
Nicky T
Eclipse Customer Service

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Nicky T works for a Paintball manufacturer
Nicky T supports Bob Gurnsey
Etha Bolt Assembly Maintenance Video

Enjoy:

Link to original post: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post74777961

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NickyTruter

Last edited by calvman : 09-19-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Closed Thread