Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-29-2012, 05:19 PM #1
CowPharts
Blue Whales, Deadly.

CowPharts has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DP G4 Breaking Balls?

I have a problem...
I fixed all of the out of box issues on my G4 (or so I thought) and the first day I took it to my field I at least got one barrel break for every fifteen shots. Now I know that is not normal, and was really pissing me off. Also I got a huge air leak towards the end of the day in which air would just come out of the reg. So I relubed my regulator when I got home, and ordered some new macro line for my gun.
After relubbing the reg the air problem was fixed...but I'm not sure if this is just a temporary fix...
I know it is a few problems, if you could help me though, that would be great.
CowPharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 PM #2
garebizzle
Garebear

garebizzle has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
There is numerous combinations that could cause barrel breaks. If you're still using the stock barrel, it's possible that the paint was just crappy. Did anyone else have barrel breaks? Where I'm from, temperature plays a big factor. If I'm using summer blend paint in the winter, I have lots of breaks.

I've also heard turning up the dwell on your marker may lower the psi slightly. This may help with barrel breaks but I'm not entirely sure about the last one.
OXCC
Dangerous Power Sponsored
garebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:21 PM #3
CowPharts
Blue Whales, Deadly.

It may have been the paint, although I used that paint before on my A5 all the time. But you may be right it might have been temperature, because it shoots fine full auto where I live which is a little cooler, but I bought the paint down there soo, I hope I don't have to get a new barrel. Btw. I was shooting semi down at my field.

"Just use your barrel as a blow gun, who needs to pay for air?"
Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 PM #4
spaz66

spaz66 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
spaz66 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Did you by chance change the settings on the board while you were fixing the out of the box problem ?Reset board to factory settings and start from there and use some fresh paint from the area where your using it.Just an option to try.
spaz66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 PM #5
eatafetus
knows you love it.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
eatafetus supports our troops
eatafetus is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
eatafetus is Legendary
eatafetus supports Empire
what loader are you using?
Are your eyes/breech clean?
please post your gun settings (dwell, shooting mode, fps)
where was the leak coming from on the reg? The bottom , near the fitting? Or near the top?
what temp/conditions was it outside when you were playing?

thats a start. this will help us find out what is wrong.
eatafetus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:18 PM #6
X20DTL

X20DTL has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
X20DTL has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowPharts View Post
It may have been the paint, although I used that paint before on my A5 all the time. But you may be right it might have been temperature, because it shoots fine full auto where I live which is a little cooler, but I bought the paint down there soo, I hope I don't have to get a new barrel. Btw. I was shooting semi down at my field.
tippmann can shoot about anything without breaking even bulls poo i know this because i still got my tippmann 98 and shooting crap with it in the winter so you can't really compare with it.

but like eatafetus is asking that would greatly influance the barrel breaks and my question is are you using the cheapest paint or a grade higher.
X20DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 PM #7
CowPharts
Blue Whales, Deadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatafetus View Post
what loader are you using?
Are your eyes/breech clean?
please post your gun settings (dwell, shooting mode, fps)
where was the leak coming from on the reg? The bottom , near the fitting? Or near the top?
what temp/conditions was it outside when you were playing?

thats a start. this will help us find out what is wrong.
I'm using a Halo B.
Yes, I'm sure they were clean. I mean it was fresh out of the box except The first thing I did was relube the bolt with better stuff.
The dwell was stock, fps was 280. That's all my field allows. (rentals) And I was shooting semi.
The leak was coming right out that little hole near the middle, but it wouldn't stop. (I'm pretty sure I fixed that when I came home and cleaned and relubed the reg) and it sounds like the little leak I'm getting is coming from the fitting, I was thinking maybe the macroline was cut bad so I just took it out and it definetly looks like a choppy cut. (from DP?)
It was definetly colder that day, maybe around 50 or 60. But it shoots ramping fine at my house which was like 45 or 35 that day.
Thanks for the help.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 PM #8
l1ryan1l
<3<3<3<3<3<3 SLOTHS!!!!!

l1ryan1l is an NCPA player
l1ryan1l plays in the APPA D4 division
l1ryan1l is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
l1ryan1l supports DLX Technology
did you buy it from ANS?
l1ryan1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 PM #9
CowPharts
Blue Whales, Deadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1ryan1l View Post
did you buy it from ANS?
No definetly from DP directly so I would avoid any problems from any older versions.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:37 PM #10
CA_Tectonics

a few questions for you:

Is the marker new?

Did this start from day 1 you had it or did it just start one day but was fine before?

On your Halo.....what speed setting do you have it on? - if it is on it's highest, drop it down to somewhere in the mid-range. Like the 17 bps or whatever the next one up is (22 bps maybe?). Having that thing maxed out WILL turn paint into soup. It just puts too much pressure on the ball stack and stresses the shells.

Run your finger through the feedneck and feel all the edges you can get to and see if you can feel any rough spots or burrs. Do the same through the front of the marker (with barrel off of course).

Check to make sure your detents are retracting when the ball passes by them by simply manually pushing one through with your finger in the feedneck or just puch on the detents with your finger (through the front of the marker). All of this should be done with NO air and power off.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 PM #11
CowPharts
Blue Whales, Deadly.

Yes. Directly from DP.
And I had put two pods through it when I first got it and it shot fine.
The next day when I took it out on the field there were these problems.
Okay, I will give that a try. Sorry, I'm at a buddies house right now, so I can't but when I get back I will check that out and let you know on this forum.
And the Halo B is basic. I know it says v35 board in my signature, but ANS gear doesn't have very good product management or customer servicem
So I'm not sure I can turn that down, but I will see.
Thanks for the help. I will get back to you when I get my G4 and Internet on Friday.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 PM #12
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Yes. Directly from DP.
And I had put two pods through it when I first got it and it shot fine.
The next day when I took it out on the field there were these problems.
Okay, I will give that a try. Sorry, I'm at a buddies house right now, so I can't but when I get back I will check that out and let you know on this forum.
And the Halo B is basic. I know it says v35 board in my signature, but ANS gear doesn't have very good product management or customer servicem
So I'm not sure I can turn that down, but I will see.
Thanks for the help. I will get back to you when I get my G4 and Internet on Friday.
On the Halo backplate, it usually says V35 in bright lettering right on it. If it doesn't, it may be just the stock one. Check the manual just in case.

I'm starting to think it is just bad paint. It worked at your house but not at the field. Same paint? Paint stored indoors at your house?
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:32 PM #13
CowPharts
Blue Whales, Deadly.

No I'm sure it is, I had to go through the process with ans gear to get a refund. So, it is a standard Halo B.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 PM #14
l1ryan1l
<3<3<3<3<3<3 SLOTHS!!!!!

Quote:
No definetly from DP directly so I would avoid any problems from any older versions.
smart man... lol unfortunately you ran into issues anyways ..

anywho, when you noticed the chops/breaks were the breaks only in the barrel? or was the gun's bolt and breach covered in paint? if it was just barrel breaks look below:

-how cold was it?
-what paint did you use?
-what barrel and bore did you use?
-what loader tension setting are you running?

^those things are the biggest contributors to ball breaks..

If you notice paint in the breach and all over the bolt face you might be having chopping/ball clipping issues ...

-what lube are you using?
-how cold was it?
-what paint did you use?
-is your back cap screwed in all the way? (dont need to tighten it down)
-What's your loader tension settings?
-what velocity are you shooting?
-did you try a brand new brand name battery??

you did mention your reg leaking at one point, what tank and tank reg do you have?
Old 03-01-2012, 02:05 PM #15
nhelvey
The Music Man

nhelvey has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
nhelvey has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
nhelvey has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I don't know how much this helps....

I bought mine used, and basically had the same issue. I had some issues with the bolt stick, but even when the bolt wouldn't stick, I had major issues with the balls breaking, and even rolling into the barrel.

The only thing I did to the setup before the next weekend was check the detents. I removed the eye covers, cleaned the eye holes, and checked the detents and springs. My guess was that a spring wasn't seeded upright in the eye cover when the guy I bought it from cleaned it. The detents probably weren't flexing with the proper spring tension, because the spring wasn't placed correctly.

I would suggest taking the eye covers off, cleaning the detents and holes, and VERY CAREFULLY replacing the springs on the back of the detents. It can be tough to make sure that they are straight, but that might help.

Again, not sure if that helps, but it may be worth a shot.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 PM #16
CowPharts
Blue Whales, Deadly.

It was definetly barrel breaks for sure and one break inside the gun that day. it was the stock barrel on the G4 which is a .689. It was around 50 or 60ish that day and the paint was the stuff at my field, which is very cheap brand I'm sure. They are ACU paintballs.
And the reg leak was coming from that small hole just above where the bottom of the reg connects to the top. I'm pretty sure I fixed that though.
It seems like from what I'm hearing from you guys it is the paint and not anything else like the hopper or gun settings. So I will try a new brand this weekend, and do a full cleanup on the eyes and ball detents.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:06 PM #17
l1ryan1l
<3<3<3<3<3<3 SLOTHS!!!!!

Quote:
It was definetly barrel breaks for sure and one break inside the gun that day. it was the stock barrel on the G4 which is a .689. It was around 50 or 60ish that day and the paint was the stuff at my field, which is very cheap brand I'm sure. They are ACU paintballs.
And the reg leak was coming from that small hole just above where the bottom of the reg connects to the top. I'm pretty sure I fixed that though.
It seems like from what I'm hearing from you guys it is the paint and not anything else like the hopper or gun settings. So I will try a new brand this weekend, and do a full cleanup on the eyes and ball detents.
okay for barrel breaks odds are like you stated, its probably due to the paint and/or barrel..

if tension settings are too high on a loader, that can also put added stress on the ball
Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 PM #18
CowPharts
Blue Whales, Deadly.

Hey guys I just wanted to come back to my post and say thank you for the help. I used some of your recommendations and my G4 shot like a charm. I mean I did soooooo good that day. I really think buying a G4 was a good choice.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 PM #19
GraniteGargoyle

GraniteGargoyle is attending Decay of Nations VI
GraniteGargoyle supports Empire
Quote:
Hey guys I just wanted to come back to my post and say thank you for the help. I used some of your recommendations and my G4 shot like a charm. I mean I did soooooo good that day. I really think buying a G4 was a good choice.
Nice, glad to hear
GraniteGargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:34 PM #20
phant0m0

Annual Supporting Member
phant0m0 is BST Trusted
phant0m0 plays in the PSP
phant0m0 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
phant0m0 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
phant0m0 plays in the APPA beginner division
phant0m0 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I bought 2 G4's from the same batch. They were both breaking balls like crazy at first. The answer was revealed when i took the eye covers off.

Check both sides for missing detent springs. once replaced not a single break in 3+ cases each.
phant0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:31 PM #21
GMF

G4 don't seem to work well in cold weather. Least from my point of view last few times in been in cold or cool weather i had nothing but barrel and breach breaks all day long temps were 35 to about 47. had nothing but problems all day long i have cleaned replaced detents new springs ECT. tired stock bolt and techt t bolt still was breaking paint every place in the gun, i clean it test fire work fine test fire then load up test ,few shots were ok then it started to break paint bolt stick ECT clean lube off try even light lube didn't matter G4 and cold weather sucks. but i still like the gun but with all the problems as of late that i though i took care of all came back again. all stock settings ready to go buy a new gun at this point.wasted 115.00 over the weekend trying to play and all i did was work on my gun.But if you want a great milkshake machine I got a deal for you.
GMF is offline   Reply With Quote